Foods not to eat at DL

I'm not sure I've eaten in the parks enough to have foods I don't like there. I love the turkey legs, but I've only had 2 in my life! The corn is ok, but I'd probably skip it in the future. Beyond that, we generally avoid anything "normal," you know - things you can get other places. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want something I can't get at home.

@DLgal, I'm sad that you found Salt & Straw to be too salty! I love their ice cream, and I don't like salty things. Also, a fun bit of trivia, the "salt" in the name is a reference to how ice cream is made, with salted iced on the outside of the ice cream bucket while it's churned. They don't actually add salt to the ice cream base.

I'm not sure I've eaten in the parks enough to have foods I don't like there. I love the turkey legs, but I've only had 2 in my life! The corn is ok, but I'd probably skip it in the future. Beyond that, we generally avoid anything "normal," you know - things you can get other places. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want something I can't get at home.

@DLgal, I'm sad that you found Salt & Straw to be too salty! I love their ice cream, and I don't like salty things. Also, a fun bit of trivia, the "salt" in the name is a reference to how ice cream is made, with salted iced on the outside of the ice cream bucket while it's churned. They don't actually add salt to the ice cream base.

No, they actually DO add salt. They mention it in the description of the flavors. Especially their vanilla. It is particularly heavy on the "Salted Malted cookie dough." That was like eating a salt lick.

No, they actually DO add salt. They mention it in the description of the flavors. Especially their vanilla. It is particularly heavy on the "Salted Malted cookie dough." That was like eating a salt lick.
Ah, I've never had that flavor. Out of curiosity, I looked at the ingredients - looks like the ones I order don't have salt, which is probably why I haven't noticed it!

... Also, the chocolate ice cream at Ghirardelli is a special recipe that uses Ghirardelli cocoa in it and is fantastic. The rest of the flavors there are standard Dreyers....
While Ghirardelli ice cream is manufactured in the Dreyers' factory, it is not supposed to be made from the same recipe. This issue has come up before, and Ghirardelli's corporate answer is that they use their own recipe. Which probably explains why I am less allergic to the Ghirardelli's ice cream and cannot tolerate any of the Dreyer's flavors at DLR. Salt & Straw can work in small amounts with certain flavors only.

It was gross. :crazy2:

When I went back inside to ask why it had mustard on it, the cashier said that they put mustard or their special sauce on all of their sandwiches. She looked at me like I was nuts.

They don't put mustard or their special sauce (whatever that means) on the Holiday Sandwich - so I'm calling BS on the answer she gave you lol. Do they not describe what is in their sandwiches or give you a choice? I always get the Holiday Sandwich or the Original 1762 Roast Beef one with the horseradish. Both are yummy. The roast beef one might have mustard, but it belongs on that sandwich lol.

I had the fried chicken that everyone seems to rave about at the Plaza Inn and it honestly wasn't very good. I wouldn't bother getting it again.

I know this all for fun, but it seems to me these comments on food are about as useful as motel reviews. You will always find the entire spectrum of "terrible" to "great" for almost everything. in the end it doesn't help me very much to decide what I would choose. But discussion is interesting, so carry on...

They don't put mustard or their special sauce (whatever that means) on the Holiday Sandwich - so I'm calling BS on the answer she gave you lol. Do they not describe what is in their sandwiches or give you a choice? I always get the Holiday Sandwich or the Original 1762 Roast Beef one with the horseradish. Both are yummy. The roast beef one might have mustard, but it belongs on that sandwich lol.
:laughing:
There was no description mentioning any mustard or special sauce that I saw. We were staying at the Disneyland Hotel, we just got bored eating at Tangaroa Terrace, and we thought since Downtown Disney is so close by, let's grab a quick breakfast there before going into the park. Egg sandwich...I've had a million of them over the years...never expected that awful mess on it.

I still gag to this day.:crazy2:

:laughing:
There was no description mentioning any mustard or special sauce that I saw. We were staying at the Disneyland Hotel, we just got bored eating at Tangaroa Terrace, and we thought since Downtown Disney is so close by, let's grab a quick breakfast there before going into the park. Egg sandwich...I've had a million of them over the years...never expected that awful mess on it.

I still gag to this day.:crazy2:

It mentions "breakfast sauce" or "mustard sauce" on every breakfast sandwich at Earl's. It's posted right on the menu.

It mentions "breakfast sauce" or "mustard sauce" on every breakfast sandwich at Earl's. It's posted right on the menu.
I guess I didn’t read it. I don’t remember that part of the experience, only the nauseating taste of the sandwich.

Based on past experiences and 55 years on this planet, I would never think that this “sauce” would be on a breakfast egg sandwich...not at Dunkin Donuts, or any other deli, diner, or restaurant I have ever eaten at. It wouldn’t occur to me to need to read over a breakfast menu with a fine tooth comb.

I guess I didn’t read it. I don’t remember that part of the experience, only the nauseating taste of the sandwich.

Based on past experiences and 55 years on this planet, I would never think that this “sauce” would be on a breakfast egg sandwich...not at Dunkin Donuts, or any other deli, diner, or restaurant I have ever eaten at. It wouldn’t occur to me to need to read over a breakfast menu with a fine tooth comb.
I agree with you, I wouldn't have thought to check. Mustard? With eggs? Who even likes that? So gross.

I wouldn’t assume a “breakfast sauce” would be mustard based.

I am going to assume whoever made the sandwich accidentally put mustard sauce INSTEAD of "breakfast sauce" (whatever that is) because the bacon, egg and cheese is supposed to have that.

I am one to always read EVERY description on any food item I order because I have been unpleasantly surprised more than once. I noticed the first time that I ate at Earl's that MOST sandwiches have a sauce on them. This is not an American chain...it's based in England, so I imagine the sauces are traditionally what one might find over there.

I am going to assume whoever made the sandwich accidentally put mustard sauce INSTEAD of "breakfast sauce" (whatever that is) because the bacon, egg and cheese is supposed to have that.
Most Likely.

I have only ever had the Holiday Turkey Sandwich, which to me shouldn't have Mayo on it but they put it on it anyway.

Most Likely.

I have only ever had the Holiday Turkey Sandwich, which to me shouldn't have Mayo on it but they put it on it anyway.

I was just going to mention that. I find that such a strange addition to that sandwich. Like, does anyone have a side of mayo with their Thanksgiving feast? No. That's just weird. My husband always gets that sandwich and always asks for no mayo.

I know this all for fun, but it seems to me these comments on food are about as useful as motel reviews. You will always find the entire spectrum of "terrible" to "great" for almost everything. in the end it doesn't help me very much to decide what I would choose. But discussion is interesting, so carry on...

I love motel reviews

And I love disboard opinions!

Life has been so up and down this year that hearing about some one having an off day biegnet makes my day just that much better.

I wish I could take my wife to Disneyland re-opening day, but I messed up my lungs a month ago which means I'm in the risky covid group and I might lose my career next year due to the pandemic which would cancel our mega once in a lifetime large family wdw+Disney cruise if I can convince my wife to go on a boat. Listening to random strangers on the internet tear into "salt n' salt n' salt n' straw" is very cathartic and is the closest I'm likely to get to being back for possibly years.

Not that I'm sad or bitter or anything. But these silly threads mean a lot to me. Unlike the dry, terrible to chew chimmichunga hand warmers they sell in carts right before the fireworks go off.

Not that I'm sad or bitter or anything. But these silly threads mean a lot to me. Unlike the dry, terrible to chew chimmichunga hand warmers they sell in carts right before the fireworks go off.

LOL, Those things are the worst! I thought "Oh boy, chimi!" but couldn't gag it down with a big gulp sized drink. Unlike just about any other food in the parks, I don't remember seeing anyone one on the forum exclaiming their virtues.
I think I spent the rest of the day re-hydrating. Never again!

love this thread, so much of what is raved about here on Dis I don't eat 8-)

Churros - ugh too...much...sugar
Turkey Legs - good gravy, walking around a theme park chomping on a greasy turkey leg, whats that all about
Popcorn - over priced
Candy apples - nope
Rice Crispie treats - nope
Any of the candy in Candy Palace - nope
Plaza Gardens - went with my friends in 2010 as that was their favorite place to eat lunch, haven't been back since
Corn dogs- never had one
Matterhorn Macaroon - ugh, too much coconut
Raspberry Rose Macroon - ugh no like
Candy from Pooh Corner - nope
Just wanted to comment on these two;
POPCORN - I was with you on the price of popcorn - until our recent trip to WDW. I was skeptical, but we got a bucket the first day and carried it around all week because refills are $2. That's about the cheapest snack you can get in an amusement park, especially when you can share it so easily.
BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER!!
The $2 popcorn refills are good on the maple popcorn out in front of the Canada pavilion and the flavored popcorn in front of the Imagination pavilion in EPCOT. Now THAT is a great bargain!

CORN DOGS - I have an aversion to corn dogs going back to when I was a kid eating the corn dogs in the school cafeteria. Then we tried the corn dogs at the Corn Dog Castle in DCA - let me tell you, those are GOOD! The corn dogs and the Boudin bread bowls have sort-of become our go-to for lunch now.

Also, everyone complains about the price of food at amusement parks and they are not wrong, but on our last trip to DCA we left the park and stopped in DtD to get dinner on our way home. We would have been MUCH better off getting food inside the park. All of the places in DtD are more sit-down with prices to match.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter