"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Any last minute advice about anything?

My advice: Since work is slow ;) , don't forget to check gasbuddy.com to figure out your best places to get gas! I scored $2.33 when everything else was around $2.47 on my way to PA the other day (still in NJ, though, as you could probably guess).

Have fun, laugh a lot on the ride!

This is it!! We are leaving today at 3pm from just north of Philadelphia.:banana: We are taking two days to get to the World. It is my DH, myself, and DD(13). Work is going to go so slow today. I am really looking forward to the drive although I'm a little nervous about the rain storm it looks like we will hit in VA and NC.

Any last minute advice about anything? We are going to be heading out on back roads (not really true back roads but not 95 around DC) to Richmond (301 I think) cause of our time leaving this afternoon and then 95 all day Saturday and part of Sunday until we hit I-4 :drive:

So glad gas prices have fallen- that's going to really help our budget.

Best to all... I've really enjoyed reading this thread

Who knows...but by the time you read this you may be in WDW!

Don't forget to share your driving experience (construction jams, assorted slowdowns, gas prices, etc.) with us.

All the best. :thumbsup2

Coming at you live from the parking lot that is I-95. We are just sitting in massive traffic around exit 68 in South Carolina. Northbound looks ok judging by what I can see. This is worse than Philly rush hour traffic!

I think everyone is on their way to Disney!!!

Coming at you live from the parking lot that is I-95. We are just sitting in massive traffic around exit 68 in South Carolina. Northbound looks ok judging by what I can see. This is worse than Philly rush hour traffic! I think everyone is on their way to Disney!!!
Any idea why it was so bad? Seems like an odd place for traffic.

Truly no idea. No major accidents. I'm guessing sheer volume. It was like that all the way to exit 8. We would get a few miles of clear driving and then the brake lights would come and we would be at a standstill. The highway department had portable signs out warning people to slow down due to heavy traffic.

Who will be the first 2,000+ mile round-trip driver to be in WDW on Jan. 1, 2015?

Actually two categories apply to the answer:

A) those who will be there on New Year's Eve and the next morning

B) those who will be arriving on or after Jan. 1, 2015

We'll fall into Category A. Be there from the 27th to the 3rd.

It'll also be our first time driving down there, coming from Massachusetts.

Latest roster of 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers who will be in WDW on 1/1/15:

BC1836
geffric
Grumplittlesis
Rvillediser
PapaPiper

[Hearts8701 due on 1/2/15]

We made it!! We left SC at 6am and pulled into Coronado Springs at 10:15am. Made great time especially compared to the first two days. A bit of construction on I4 right when we got on from I95. Gas prices seem a little higher in FL than what I saw elsewhere. Around $2.45. I shouldn't complain though!!
Off to MK. 7am opens are right up my alley

We hit $1.99 yesterday :) it was $2.07 when I drove by around 6am and around 2pm it was $1.99

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Congratulations! We are still edging downward but I think 2.21 is the best I have seen thus far, and many are still nearer to 2.30.

Nearest gas station's regular grade is down to $2.35.

We need to fill up for a long drive soon. ;)

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
We were so ready for our next drive to the Mouse
Our tank was filled with with unleaded gas
At a lower price than it was in the past

The suitcases were packed and aligned in our car
We hoped on our first day that we would drive far
The food and the drinks were stuffed in the cooler
Would we make it to Florence or maybe to Pooler?

Our drive one way would be a thousand plus miles
And, to be sure, it would take us a while
But we've done it before and we sure know the drive
And we don't expect fun til we leave I-95

So as we prepare to get behind the wheel
Alllow us to make this final appeal
Be safe and slow down as your journey unfurls
And you'll make it, we're sure, to Walt Disney World :drive:

All the best! :thumbsup2

This is a keeper! :rockband:

I love it! I think posting this needs to become a 2000+ mile thread Christmas tradition.

We're leaving early morning on January 3rd. Probably going to stop overnight at a hotel. We've done this trip once before when the kids were little (so I am paper level) but we hate flying so much we decided to try it again.

Everyone is saying we're crazy, but I agree with those who like to keep their own schedule. Plus it's nice to have a 'free' car in Disney.

We're leaving early morning on January 3rd. Probably going to stop overnight at a hotel. We've done this trip once before when the kids were little (so I am paper level) but we hate flying so much we decided to try it again. Everyone is saying we're crazy, but I agree with those who like to keep their own schedule. Plus it's nice to have a 'free' car in Disney.
Once you get this drive under your belt, do you then qualify to be "double paper" level?

Once you get this drive under your belt, do you then qualify to be "double paper" level?

I figure I'll be cardboard, at least :thumbsup2

The only planning I've done is "I think we should stop somewhere in SC to sleep".

I figure I'll be cardboard, at least :thumbsup2

The only planning I've done is "I think we should stop somewhere in SC to sleep".

What's your plan? What time are you leaving? Where from in NJ (general)? Let a NJ sister live vicariously!!! :beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter