• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those sailing in 2021...how are you feeling?

I don't think cruising will be back in any normal sense until 2022. Most information that comes out regarding a successful vaccine would have widespread disruption in Q3 2021. One of the airlines said in their earnings report this week that is when they expect any real increase in flying to happen. I hope not as I have a January cruise booked but I am not seeing how it sails.

I feel the same way.
Will ppl really want to cruise with masks, strict social distancing, no buffets, limited shows, limited port adventures? I seriously doubt it.
Unless there is a groundbreaking cure (vaccines will only mitigate, not eliminate the virus) within the next 6 months, I don't think cruise lines will be ready to accept ppl on their ships. The exposure to the virus will still be widespread in 2021, sadly.

Am I the only one...?

So, back in May, I booked a September 2020 cruise hoping it would go but also knowing that it might be canceled.
It of course got canceled.
A few weeks later, I went ahead and booked a December 2020 cruise. This at the time was done with the same mentality, but with more realization that that was a big chance that it will be canceled.

As Princess canceled their cruises through December 15th, I find my self looking at late January and February. Why do I do that to myself?!?

Self-reflection time:
1. I'm eager to cruise again, even with many of the limitations they suggested. I've had Covid19 (and yes, it was way worse than the flu), and I'm aware science is currently saying I can get it again. Also, I was on the last DCL cruise through the Panama Canal, so I've experienced some of the limitations and the atmosphere during this pandemic.
2. I'm worried that if you don't have a cruise booked, there is no way to get on a cruise in the foreseeable future. With the limited capacity (whatever that number might be), even with people choosing to cancel, the people who already booked the cruise will make up that capacity, not allowing others to book it. I'm imagining this to happen with most cruises currently scheduled in 2021.

I'm worried that if you don't have a cruise booked, there is no way to get on a cruise in the foreseeable future. With the limited capacity (whatever that number might be), even with people choosing to cancel, the people who already booked the cruise will make up that capacity, not allowing others to book it. I'm imagining this to happen with most cruises currently scheduled in 2021.
There are plenty of 2021 cruises available to book even now, so I don't know why you're worried about getting a space onboard unless you want a really specific stateroom type.

As for looking at winter 2021 cruises, imo it could go either way. DCL has to get back to cruising eventually, and people also have to get back to living eventually (especially after the government stops paying people to stay home). By winter 2021 cruises could very well be in operation again, although there will likely be cutbacks & a lot more rules in place. Since you're okay with that & don't mind the price paid for a reduced experience, I think it's fine to book.

I can typically only cruise peak season, so there is no way I would pay $1,000 per night or more for a party of 2 to have to wear masks all day onboard and maybe on Castaway Cay. Plus I share custody, so traveling with my son internationally in the midst of this just isn't possible for me.

But if I were free to sail on a cheaper February cruise, I probably would just to get away from home.

Last edited:

Am I the only one...?

So, back in May, I booked a September 2020 cruise hoping it would go but also knowing that it might be canceled.
It of course got canceled.
A few weeks later, I went ahead and booked a December 2020 cruise. This at the time was done with the same mentality, but with more realization that that was a big chance that it will be canceled.

As Princess canceled their cruises through December 15th, I find my self looking at late January and February. Why do I do that to myself?!?

Self-reflection time:
1. I'm eager to cruise again, even with many of the limitations they suggested. I've had Covid19 (and yes, it was way worse than the flu), and I'm aware science is currently saying I can get it again. Also, I was on the last DCL cruise through the Panama Canal, so I've experienced some of the limitations and the atmosphere during this pandemic.
2. I'm worried that if you don't have a cruise booked, there is no way to get on a cruise in the foreseeable future. With the limited capacity (whatever that number might be), even with people choosing to cancel, the people who already booked the cruise will make up that capacity, not allowing others to book it. I'm imagining this to happen with most cruises currently scheduled in 2021.
Kind of in the same boat on trying to guess when cruising will be a reality again. We are booked for next April 16. We booked it in Feb., and even after all the Covid craziness started it just seemed so far away that it could not possibly be affected. We were originally looking for June or early July 2021 for a graduation cruise for our son. They were so expensive that we booked the April one as a pregraduation Cruise. Then we went on the WBPC and got the 40% off a future cruise. We changed our booking to concierge for the first and probably only time. As time keeps ticking away, I keep looking over other possible cruises to book as a backup. May 2021 is just too close to graduation. June is out because we had to reschedule a trip from this summer to Mexico until next June because they were closed due to Covid. The rest of summer can be peak hurricane season. Not interested in worrying about a hurricane after the stress of planning around Covid! In the Fall of 2021 he should be enrolled in college, so that puts another wrinkle in planning. I am so sad because he has been asking for a cruise on the Fantasy which is his favorite ship for many years now. I just cannot figure out a way to make it work unless a miracle happens and cruising is up and running without too tight of restrictions for guests.

Kind of in the same boat on trying to guess when cruising will be a reality again. We are booked for next April 16. We booked it in Feb., and even after all the Covid craziness started it just seemed so far away that it could not possibly be affected. We were originally looking for June or early July 2021 for a graduation cruise for our son. They were so expensive that we booked the April one as a pregraduation Cruise. Then we went on the WBPC and got the 40% off a future cruise. We changed our booking to concierge for the first and probably only time. As time keeps ticking away, I keep looking over other possible cruises to book as a backup. May 2021 is just too close to graduation. June is out because we had to reschedule a trip from this summer to Mexico until next June because they were closed due to Covid. The rest of summer can be peak hurricane season. Not interested in worrying about a hurricane after the stress of planning around Covid! In the Fall of 2021 he should be enrolled in college, so that puts another wrinkle in planning. I am so sad because he has been asking for a cruise on the Fantasy which is his favorite ship for many years now. I just cannot figure out a way to make it work unless a miracle happens and cruising is up and running without too tight of restrictions for guests.
Maybe Christmas of 2021?

Right now we're booked for a 7 night out of New Orleans in February 2021. Our ports include Key West ( where there is a proposal on the table to ban cruise ships holding more than 1500 passengers) and the Bahamas (where all cruise ships are banned right now). LIke everything else with this pandemic, we'll just have to wait and see. :sad2:

Our thought was New Years 2021, but DCL todL us that our credit cannot be applied to “holiday” cruises or blackout dates. :(
So if you have a cruise booked with an FCC, you can't transfer that to a blackout date cruise? That's exactly what I had been considering doing: moving our October '20 cruise (rescheduled with FCC from July) to Christmas week of 2021. So we can't do that?

If so, at least DCL made up my mind for me so I'll definitely choose to get my refund when October is cancelled, as those Christmas week cruises are the only ones I would even consider.

I do think it's a bit pompous and greedy of DCL if that's true, to assume that they're going to fill the Christmas cruises with guests who aren't using credits during this unstable time, and to not show much consideration to their loyal customers whose cruises they cancelled. Those Christmas week cruises need to have gone down in price from the usual if this is the case.

Last edited:
So if you have a cruise booked with an FCC, you can't transfer that to a blackout date cruise? That's exactly what I had been considering doing: moving our October '20 cruise (rescheduled with FCC from July) to Christmas week of 2021. So we can't do that?

If so, at least DCL made up my mind for me so I'll definitely get my refund when October is cancelled, as those Christmas week cruises are the only ones I would even consider.

I do think it's a bit pompous and greedy of DCL if that's true, assuming that they're going to fill the Christmas cruises with guests who aren't using credits during this unstable time, and not showing much consideration to those of us whose cruises they cancelled. Those Christmas week cruises beyter have gone down in price from the usual if this is the case.
Well, we are not convinced. She first told us we could use our discount on the cruises being released next week. Later in the conversation she told us that they cannot be used on “holiday cruises” or black out dates. I think almost all of the upcoming cruises are Halloween on the High Seas or Merry Time cruises or New Years. I think they are still not clear on how this is working with the discounts offered. We were going to call again tomorrow to see what answer we get this time. :)

SO i am thinking of moving our april 2021 to later (cant cancel as its a suite). NOt giving up hope for our 8 night northern european which was a replacement for the one we were supposed to be on next week). When would summer 2022 be released?

When would summer 2022 be released?
February or March at the earliest.

I know, I can't wait, either. I really want to know if a 2022 Northern European to St. Petersburg will be offered, & if so, exactly when.

The benefit of having to wait so long is that we should have a much better idea by then, what the future of cruising will be.

Maybe Christmas of 2021?

I am going to get a quote for Christmas 2021 as a backup for our March cruise. I know the FCC will not apply. I also am thinking I made a mistake by upgrading our 3 day cancelled cruise to a 7 day cruise with the FCC as I have to pay the balance in December for a cruise that I may not go on . I just keep giving Disney more money!

I am going to get a quote for Christmas 2021 as a backup for our March cruise. I know the FCC will not apply. I also am thinking I made a mistake by upgrading our 3 day cancelled cruise to a 7 day cruise with the FCC as I have to pay the balance in December for a cruise that I may not go on . I just keep giving Disney more money!
How do you know the FCC will not apply?

Your right, I am not sure it doesn't. Waiting for our TA to get a quote next week. December is past our 15 month window unless DCL offers an extension.

We have a B2B planned for March 2021. It is clear that there is a >>0% chance it will not sail or that we won’t be able to board for one reason or another (my parents are older and who knows if my work will enact 14 day quarantines.) So, yesterday we built the framework for an alternate vacation. It’s fully refundable if cruising does happen, but we felt it best to have a plan B.

We're due to Cruise for the 1st time for our 50th birthdays to Alaska June 2021, really not sure to cancel or wait out.
We really wanted to have an amazing experience but worried that all the potential restrictions\masks would spoil it.

We are looking at booking a Nov-Dec 2021 cruise, and I feel...okay...about it. Safety wise, I am not too concerned. I think Disney will do the absolute best they can, and health and safety will be paramount. I do find myself concerned about other people, as it just seems like a lot of people out there seem to not want to do the right thing, or to try to protect other people. On a cruise of 3,000-5,000 people, how do they separate the wheat from the chaff? If someone gets on board and doesn't want to wear a mask (if masks on board are a thing then), and they are at sea....they can't exactly toss them overboard....they can contain them until they get to a port, sure, but what then?

No port is going to want to do business with a cruise line that is gonna leave someone reckless on their shores to potentially infect other people. And, how many people could the mask rebel infect in even one day?

As someone else mentioned, it really comes down to the prices. Will the prices reflect what is likely a very stripped down experience? Will the prices reflect that of an industry scraping to stay alive? Or will be prices be through the roof?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter