Found old safe in my basement

NO NO NO NO

PLEASE do NOT cut the door off :scared1: , do not attempt to pry the door loose :scared1: , do not do any possible further damage to this collectible :scared1: .

Please follow c4a's advice. This "thing" has some serious value, outside of whatever might have been stashed *inside*.

Since you've already shared this info with the Internet (oops), maybe you could consider contacting a local TV station or "If Walls Could Talk". This is the kind of thing that a news broadcast or special interest programming show would just EAT up during sweeps (when the prices for buying airtime are set). The next sweeps is coming up soon...it's November.

agnes!

I wouldn't contact the news just yet. If it is empty-another Geraldo moment.
If it DOES have something in it-would be inviting strangers from the area into the home. There is NO WAY someone can just "pick the safe up & cart it, off"; however, in frustration-theives may find other things that they could take or break. That would be a horrible ironic twist of fate...found safe causes unsafe feeling in home.
My motto is "safety first".
My stomach is FULL of butterflies. How in the world are you staying calm? This is worse than Christmas morning-I don't know whether to cry, laugh or throw up.:)

I agree - no busting into it. Its too cool to ruin. I dont remember who, but a PP said a night stand or something would be awesome.

I think you should call a locksmith RIGHT NOW. (and video the results, and post them on YouTube for us) :rolleyes1

op, you have gotten great info here. please look for a reputable safe and lock company on your area and once they get in, politely ask them to leave. if there is anything in there they don't need to know it. the drill mark above the lock says that someone else knew that some safes can be opened that way. from what you describe it sounds as if no one was successful before.

good luck, you have quite a few dis'ers on pins and needles.

op, you have gotten great info here. please look for a reputable safe and lock company on your area and once they get in, politely ask them to leave. if there is anything in there they don't need to know it. the drill mark above the lock says that someone else knew that some safes can be opened that way. from what you describe it sounds as if no one was successful before.

good luck, you have quite a few dis'ers on pins and needles.

YES.

agnes!

This is very cool! Can't wait to find out what's in it!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys have really given me some great information!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you have me so PUMPED up now!!! I just called my husband and I was reading all your posts to him, he says "Breathe Renee, breathe" :lmao: :lmao: I honestly thought when I saw the hole in, that 'oh crap, someone has gotten into it already" and the thrill kind of faded a little bit. I was still curious as to the contents, but now I hope I can sleep tonight waiting to find out what is in it??? There aren't any locksmiths in my village, so I am going to call one out of town. That will probably cost me more. It is worth it as long as it doesn't run me 100's and then I can't sell the safe.......... (those are my husbands words)

He tells me that he thinks he saw the safe when we moved in to the house when he was stacking stuff on the shelves in the basement (it was tucked in behind). He said he made a mental note to check it out later but just forgot!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell it takes a lot to get him excited??? :rotfl2:

Dont worry folks, I am not going to sit on this. I am calling a locksmith today and I will see what I can come up with and I will let you know.

Thanks for all the tips and sharing in my little adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo:

( if there is a couple million, I will meet you all in DisneyWorld for a big "hoorah safe gathering") Aren't all you previous posters glad you stopped on my thread now? Better chances than playing the lottery! :rotfl:

Very exciting, I'm subscribing, not for the free trip, but just for the excitement of it all.

If it *is* a gun safe, antique guns can be worth a fortune.

OP -
When the locksmith does get the safe open, I agree with getting him out of the room *before* the safe is opened. That might sound odd, but you don't necessariy want someone outside the immediate family to know exactly what's in that safe. You might want to contact a tax attorney to do some planning first...

agnes!

Wow totally cool, I hope you are blessed greatly with whatever is inside!

popcorn::

Awe, how sweet of you. :lovestruc

CathrynRose~ You crack me up!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are too funny:rotfl2:

No answer at the 1st locksmith................... arghhhhhhhh

No, no - youre getting it all wrong.

It would be: We're going on a Disney cruise and staying in the Walt Suite, and we're taking alllll the DIS'ers who were so supportive when we found it......thanks mystery safe

That's what it will say!

Well then, I shall PM the OP my address right away !!:rotfl2:

What a great cruise we shall have ! And we can say (in true Disney spirt) "That it all started because of a safe....not a mouse !"

Can't wait for Monday !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter