Geeks On A Plane - 1/11 PTR * Postponed :( 7/2

So, I just got off the phone with Jacquie and, well... We're more than likely going to have to push the trip back anywhere from six months to a year. :(

She injured her knee in her sophomore year of high school and tore her ACL, but has had consistent problems with it for the last eleven years. She's blown her knee out three times in the last few months and finally took my advice this week to go to the doctor. She went to her regular doctor yesterday, who referred her to an orthopedic surgeon, who had her get an MRI today and will be seeing her again on Friday for a prognosis. She's going to need some kind of knee surgery, though.

Depending on how much the surgery will cost, when she has it, and what the recovery time is like, she'll only have the money for one or the other. Her insurance will cover 80% of the costs of the surgery, but she's still responsible for that other 20%. I looked it up and the average cost for an arthroscopic knee surgery is about $5000, but I'm not sure if that's what she'll need or not. So, basically, we're most likely going to have to postpone the trip for about six months to a year. We're not entirely sure yet, but she's going to get in touch with me after she talks to the orthopedic surgeon and we're going to decide then.

I've been thinking about going down to WDW to meet PrincessInOz in October, so if we do have to postpone the trip, I'll be heading down in October.

I'll keep you guys updated, though. It helps to have the boards because you guys get how disappointing it is :(

So, I just got off the phone with Jacquie and, well... We're more than likely going to have to push the trip back anywhere from six months to a year. :(

She injured her knee in her sophomore year of high school and tore her ACL, but has had consistent problems with it for the last eleven years. She's blown her knee out three times in the last few months and finally took my advice this week to go to the doctor. She went to her regular doctor yesterday, who referred her to an orthopedic surgeon, who had her get an MRI today and will be seeing her again on Friday for a prognosis. She's going to need some kind of knee surgery, though.

Depending on how much the surgery will cost, when she has it, and what the recovery time is like, she'll only have the money for one or the other. Her insurance will cover 80% of the costs of the surgery, but she's still responsible for that other 20%. I looked it up and the average cost for an arthroscopic knee surgery is about $5000, but I'm not sure if that's what she'll need or not. So, basically, we're most likely going to have to postpone the trip for about six months to a year. We're not entirely sure yet, but she's going to get in touch with me after she talks to the orthopedic surgeon and we're going to decide then.

I've been thinking about going down to WDW to meet PrincessInOz in October, so if we do have to postpone the trip, I'll be heading down in October.

I'll keep you guys updated, though. It helps to have the boards because you guys get how disappointing it is :(

Fantastic!! But I don't want to celebrate too much about you and me meeting up in October because it comes with a cost.

So sorry to hear about Jacquie's knee. I hope the surgery goes well and that she make a full recovery.
:goodvibes

Hi, I'm here! I'm sorry you might have to postpone your trip! :sad1: But I hope you can go in October, that would be fun! :)

Fantastic!! But I don't want to celebrate too much about you and me meeting up in October because it comes with a cost.

So sorry to hear about Jacquie's knee. I hope the surgery goes well and that she make a full recovery.
:goodvibes

I know, right? We talked about it last night, though, and she gets it. Life happens, and, in her case, the surgery is more important than the trip. So we'll see what happens, but it looks very likely that I'm going to be down there in October instead of in January :)

Oh no! I'm so sorry! :sad1: Please keep us updated and I hope that everything works out for you!

I will :goodvibes Honestly, I'm sad about it because that was going to be an awesome trip, but her health is more important than a vacation, you know? Plus, I can go in October and meet up with some Dis friends :)

Hi, I'm here! I'm sorry you might have to postpone your trip! :sad1: But I hope you can go in October, that would be fun! :)

Well, it happens. Honestly, it's for the best, because her knee getting fixed is more important than a trip to Disney, you know? It sounds weird, but it's true :lmao: I'm 90% sure that I'll be going in October, but not 100% yet. She's supposed to call me tomorrow and let me know what the surgeon says after looking at her MRI.

So I just spoke to Jacquie. She went to see the orthopedic surgeon this morning about her options for surgery. She has three options, but she's already excluded one because it wouldn't really fix the problem, it would just make it less painful. She doesn't see the point in paying for a surgery that's not going to really fix it and leave it liable to injury again in the future anyway. The other two are forms of ACL reconstruction. One would be with donor tissue and the other would be with her own. She's debating between the two right now.

Either way, her doctor told her that she'll have the surgery within the next three to six months, and then there's the recovery time. I was joking with her about how if she did the surgery with the donor tissue and we didn't cancel the trip, that we'd have the trip all booked and paid for, we'd be sitting at Midway Airport, waiting to leave, and then she'd get a call, "Your donor tissue's here, we need you at the hospital!" That would be just our luck. So we've decided to postpone the trip.

Right now, we're thinking about November 2011, since that would be when the Christmas parties start and the decorations go up and everything. I think they'd like it down there at that time. So we'll see what happens.

Buuuuuuuut... I've decided that I am going to go in October. It's going to be a solo trip, but I'll be meeting up with some Disers and I'm sure I can meet up with old coworkers, since a few of them still work there. I booked the trip last night just in case and I've already made ADR's, so I'm going to start a PTR for that trip when I get to work tonight. Hopefully you guys will join me on that one :) I'll post the link over here once I get it started.

So, :guilty: about the January trip being postponed, but :cheer2: about going in October!

Ouch, sorry about the postponed trip, but your solo trip sounds fun, too!!

Such is life, you know? Sometimes things get in the way of going to Disney :laughing: I'm just glad that we can postpone it and not have to outright cancel (or have it already paid and then have something happen within that last 45 days and be unable to get a refund). I'm also glad to be going at all :rotfl:

Hey! Sorry to hear about postponing, but at least you will get to go even sooner!! Let me know once you start your new PTR!

OK, I finally caught up on the drama of this one! Glad you've moved on (which is where I caught up with you anyways!)

Maybe someday, I'll get to have a PTR!

Yeah, there's been a small amount of drama in the last couple months. There's been some other stuff involving Jacquie and her workplace, but such is life. We're just trying to figure everything out so that she doesn't lose her job or anything because of her knee surgery. She's worried about it.

That's so awful that someone has to be worried about losing their job because of a physical condition. Espeically if it's something that can be fixed, and they are still young.

I have a friend with Vertigo who has finally applied for permanent disability after being laid off, but that's not the same, he's older, and the condition gets worse. She can get better once the surgery is complete, she is still young. It's too bad that so many companies are only concerned about the short term. In our business we have taken back good employees after they needed an LOA, (I think however, in this case the gal I let back had to do time (either in jail or in rehab) on a DUI, but she was discreet about it and I didn't ask, she did total her car on the freeway on a Saturday night so... :rolleyes1). But she was a good employee and when she came back I was happy to welcome her back with open arms. It's too bad that so many employers don't value the people that work for them and just want to fill the position.

Her boss suspended her for being late one day, but has been trying to fire her for months. She's been looking for another job, but hasn't been able to find anything and now with the surgery coming up, she's afraid that if she tells them she needs accomodations for a temporary disability or something, even with documentation, that they'll fire her. I think that's illegal, but she thinks that they'll say that she had some other reason for being fired. Unfortunately, her insurance is through that job and her husband has two part-time jobs, even though he works full-time hours at both. Neither job offers insurance for part-timers, so if she loses the job that suspended her, she'll lose her insurance and be liable for the entire cost of the surgery, which may mean she'll have to put it off even further. I told her to ask her doctor about temporary disability benefits, so she's going to call him tomorrow. She lives out in the far suburbs in a college town, so there aren't very many jobs out there that are available anyway, let alone to someone who needs insurance immediately and can't currently stand up, and the ones that are available are part-time and usually in food service.

So... Yeah. Hopefully things will work out for her.

That's good that your company takes people back :) I think if I needed an LOA or something, my company would take me back. My boss loves me, so I'm assuming they would :lmao: Was your employee okay after she totaled her car?

Was your employee okay after she totaled her car?

She was fine, as far as can tell, and knowing her propensity for "clubbin" and that she used to take a flask to avoid paying for drinks, I have a feeling that she had been drinking. Normally the one who has been drinking is OK and the sober people get hurt. I think they struck the center divider, but she didn't give a lot of details, for obvious reasons.

She told me that she had a "great opportunity that she couldn't pass up and had to take some time off" which made me think she was either going into rehab or voluntary jail time. I didn't ask questions, but when she came back three months later, she needed an official letter that stated she had employment sent to a government agency. I did it for her, because she had always been a good employee, she just screwed up one night out with some friends.

She's still working for me years later and even though she has flaky moments for the most part, she takes care of what I need, and that's all I can ask!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter