Get Excited: Downtown Disney Has Now Reopened Superthread!

DTD didn’t seem as crowded today. When I left there was only 2 switch backs. Other weekends the switch backs go through the whole parking lot. Plus they were still allowing cars into Simba.

.. yesterday evening parking was closed off. Maybe crowds will pick up later today.

Heat didn’t seem too bad.

... yesterday evening parking was closed off. Maybe crowds will pick up later today.

Heat didn’t seem too bad.
Or perhaps the recent high profile Covid cases has caused some people to reconsider visiting a crowded place?

(Not trying to be political, I just figure that any announcement of several high profile Covid cases all at once, whether it be politicians, or other famous people, would tend to make some people reconsider going out).

DTD didn’t seem as crowded today. When I left there was only 2 switch backs. Other weekends the switch backs go through the whole parking lot. Plus they were still allowing cars into Simba.
We arrived just past 5:30 pm this evening. Switchbacks went all the way to the second to last row behind the AMC. CMs were warning arriving parties that the estimated wait time was 80-90 minutes. Some people were returning to their cars, but not that many.
But once we got into DTD itself, it wasn't that crowded at all. Most shops and restaurants were fine. Only WOD was a little crazy in the Halloween section. People just don't seem to have much of a clue about social distancing. And lots of people were talking on their phones while shopping, so they were very distracted.

Or perhaps the recent high profile Covid cases has caused some people to reconsider visiting a crowded place?

(Not trying to be political, I just figure that any announcement of several high profile Covid cases all at once, whether it be politicians, or other famous people, would tend to make some people reconsider going out).
Judging by the line waiting for security, more people are visiting DTD, not less. They are just coming later in the day. CMs said the crowds were pretty average for a Saturday evening.

Don't know if this is new, but it was the first time we noticed it -- there is a mask vending machine on the right side, before you get to the temp check tent. Someone posted that there is one on the Harbor side, too. The new scanner was fine, although it beeped at DH. He was asked to step to the side to have his bag checked. No big deal. There was a dog and handler just beyond the new scanner, so it looks like both options are still being used for now.
In other fun DTD news:
The new October flavors arrive at Salt & Straw tomorrow! The Halloween Candy flavor is supposed to return -- yay! S&S makes their own candy to mix in, so that flavor is really fun.
Inside dining at the Jazz Kitchen was nice. We were a little nervous, but the tables were spaced far apart and service was very good. They provide disinfecting wipes and a bag for your mask. The menu is limited, but very adaptable. No issues with my allergies. AP discounts now require a manager, so allow a little extra time for that.
The hand washing stations have changed a little: the sinks now have one push faucet instead of two turn faucets. So much for the hot water!
FYI: If your mask breaks inside a restaurant or store, a CM should be able to replace it with a free paper mask. We saw this happen in Starbucks DTD (the main store) this evening. A woman's mask broke at the register, and a CM ran to the back to get a free replacement. Very nice of him because she was worried and trying to pay while holding her mask in place.
Abby sighting! She sends her love to the DIS. :)
Lastly, please be kind and let CMs in DTD know that you support them. This has been a very hard week for them. They truly appreciate the compassion and kind words!

Don't know if this is new, but it was the first time we noticed it -- there is a mask vending machine on the right side, before you get to the temp check tent. Someone posted that there is one on the Harbor side, too. The new scanner was fine, although it beeped at DH. He was asked to step to the side to have his bag checked. No big deal. There was a dog and handler just beyond the new scanner, so it looks like both options are still being used for now.
The vending machine from the simba lot has been there since DtD reopened or shortly there after.

The vending machine from the simba lot has been there since DtD reopened or shortly there after.
Do you know how much it costs per mask? CMs have always handed out masks for free whenever we've visited DTD, so I don't think I've ever seen someone using the vending machine.

Do you know how much it costs per mask? CMs have always handed out masks for free whenever we've visited DTD....
I’ve seen people buying masks from the machine once or twice. But yes, when DTD first reopened, CMs would hand out masks for free. Not sure how much they cost but I’m headed there later this morning and will report (as always) if I see anything interesting.

I’ve seen people buying masks from the machine once or twice. But yes, when DTD first reopened, CMs would hand out masks for free. Not sure how much they cost but I’m headed there later this morning and will report (as always) if I see anything interesting.
Thank you! Have a good time!

For those going to DTD this weekend, please note that other posters/bloggers have said that the new scanners replace the "dog check," not the entire bag check process. You will still go through 1) temp check, 2) new scanners, 3) bag check & metal detectors. (See page 23 of this thread: Get Excited: Downtown Disney Has Now Reopened Superthread!)
Too bad they don’t replace the long and tedious bag check queues. So now you have bag check, temp check, metal detectors plus new scanner?
I wish Disney would bring in the airport bag scanner like Universal has done. Significantly cuts down time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter