Get Ready to Get FIT FOR DISNEY!!

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
Hi everyone:

Starting on Wed, August 1st, Sky Eson will begin answering questions and offering advice each week on getting in shape, and eating healthier. So, each week we'll start a thread for that week, where questions or comments can be posted for Sky.

Now, I can tell you all this: I've been working with Sky for almost a month now, and the difference in me (and in John) is nothing short of miraculous. This woman ACTUALLY got me to eat vegetables, and LIKE IT!! Now, that may not mean anything to you, but if you knew me, and knew just how much I despise vegetables, you would understand how major this is.

What I like most about working with her is that she completely practices what she preaches and there is nothing to "buy". Of course, I pay her as my personal trainer, but she's not out there hawking vitamins, energy bars, weight loss books or anything else. She's in it because she loves it, and it shows!!

So, let's hear what you have to say. If you have a question or problem, go ahead and post it. Maybe share a little about what you're doing right now to get in shape, or what's keeping you from getting motivated. Sky will start posting this Wednesday, August 1st.

Enjoy!!!

Pete

I have LOTS of questions but I'll just start slow! :D

Motivation to work out..........How do you find it AND keep it?

What sort of workout pattern do you feel is best for losing weight? (ie aerobic exercise only, strength training, combination, etc?)

If I am considering finding a personal trainer in my area, what are some key elements I should look for?

Congratulations, Pete. I think it's wonderful that you're so motivated to do this. I totally lack motivation. Nikole, I know exactly what you mean! Yet, I do aerobic dance 3 mornings a week. I don't loose anything, but I really don't gain and I eat without thinking all the time! I need motivation & guidance! Will we be able to get some favorite, simple to fix recipes, too? Thanks!

Me too, motivation is the tough one. I usually do really great for about 2-3 weeks, then I loose my ability to stay focussed on the goal. Exercise isn't the problem, it is eating that is difficult to control. Any suggestions? Thanks Sky, I really appreciate you helping us out!

OK, second question, (I have so many, I will have to space them out for each Wednesday!:) ). I love McDonald's and potato chips. I try to eat them in moderation, but lets just say no potato chip within 1 mile of me is safe! How do I control the intense craving for them? I have tried giving them up entirely, but that didn't work, moderation always starts out ok, but that doesn't last past the bag opening. I feel like I sound like a pathetic fool with no will power, but this has plagued me for a long time... how do you turn off these cravings and want to eat healthy veggies etc? Thanks again!

Can Sky offer some simple exercises that I can do while I’m working on my computer? Since I seem to surf the Dis so very late at night (after working all day), any simple things that I could do while surfing the net would certainly be better than nothing.

I taught a dance aerobics class for 10 years and quit last fall. I attended classes but they ended in June and I have found myself with little time (or motivation) to exercise. Like many before me have asked how do I motivate myself? I, too, spend a lot of time at the computer for my job :) and have recently put on about 10 lbs. I know I have to get up and move but just can't bring myself to do it.

I know I am not eating healthy either, any tips?
Help! please. :)
Cathy

Like many others, I have hypothyroidism, so my metabolism is not burning the calories like it use to. What types of foods should I be eating more of/less of? [I am working on less carbohydrates right now, but my weight has not changed].

Welcome to The Dis!

Judging from the typical person I see strolling through WDW, we can all use some "get fit" advice!!!

To be quiet frank, I am a very lazy person at home. While at work, I'll work six 12-15 hours nights in a row.

I never exercise and it shows.

I did go through the one year, hospital based weight reduction program, but my heart was not in it.

Now I'm on the Adkin's diet and feeling much better than when I wasn't on it. I'm not perfect.

I have access to my condo's treadmill, but it has been so disappointing to get out of breath and start dragging my right leg behind me.

I guess that I just need to suck it up and keep going until I almost lose my balance and fall. But if I can increase time or distance every day or week then that is better than nothing.

I have no excuse. I'm just lazy.

But I do look forward to reading your comments.

Thank you for doing this for us.

Sincerely, Ray:)

Ohhhh!!! I wanna know about the vegetables, too!!!!! I puke at the mere thought of eating them!!!!! Let me know the secret!! I am also hypothyroid. Started on meds in December and have lost 10 pounds since then, so that is my boost. Now, if I can just get my butt into an exercise routine, I might be a little bit better off!

Sky, what are your thoughts on the fat burner pills and powders that are being sold to help lose weight? Do you know whether these can help reduce weight and if they can be used to help while exercising?

My downfall is snacking, Pop Tarts, Ice Cream and Popcorn are my cravings.
I need some healthy snacks that TASTE GOOD. I am working out at the YMCA, and
drinking water, but I still get so hungry..... Sky, please help!

I am VERY interested in getting fit, escpecially as it pertains to an upcoming
WDW vacation. We all know that a tour around the "world" can be gruelling
and exhuasting, so any help would be great.

I have been dieting for 4 years now in order to take off about 120 lbs. So far, I've
taken off about 60 of it. However, it's become tiresome, boring and frustrating. Especially
as I near the 200 lb mark. I've been there three times now, only to sit where I'm at, not
losing anything and pop right back up. My body does NOT wanna be lower than 200 as much I
I DO! I've tried my own calorie counting, Weight Watchers, more exercise, different combos of exercise...nothing seems to help. I was on a plateau for almost a whole YEAR! Have been to my doc again and again. Currently, I'm back to counting the calories/fat, and am just beginning a half hour on my recumbant bike everyday along with resistance bands every other day. I'm hoping this "magical" combo will work. My goal is to have most of this off by my trip to WDW on Nov. 29th and to, of course, be fit enough to sail through my tour with ease. What do you suggest for someone over 200lbs as a means of getting fit and loosing weight?

Sky,

What are your thoughts about "food combining"?

Or reducing the amount of fat in one's diet vs. reducing the amount of carbohydrates?

Thanks very much for your time!

Hi Sky,

Welcome to the DIS! And thanks!

I am a former collegiate swimmer and lifeguard (all thru high school and college). Now, 10 years and one baby later, I cannot even comprehend getting into a bathing suit. I am also a complete klutz unless I am in the water. Any suggestions to get started? I know walking, but by myself it gets boring, and the motivation is just not there. Swimming would be great, but not for the first big chunk of weight I need to lose, the lack of resistance really does not lend itself to big weight loss. So...any other suggestions?

Thanks

Debster :jester:

Sky my DH and i started working out last week. We started swimming and right now im only making it a little over a 1/2 mile at a time. We are hoping to get up to a mile by the end of this week. We are swimming at least every other day if not most days. But ? is when it gets to be the end of Sept. it will be to cold here in Boise ID. What other exercise is as good. Remember we are just srarting. My goal is 20lbs. thinner by nov. 20th

Lisa

I would really like to know about the vegetables. How did you get Pete to eat them... and like them? :mad: I cannot stand most vegetables. I like green beans and that is about it. I am overweight, have high blood pressure, and all the other problems that are associated. One of my basic problems with all good diets (not diet progams, but healthy diets) is the vegetables. Now if I could get a personal trainer too, that would _really_ help.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Hey Sky!!
I too would like to know your opinion on diet!! I work out 5 times a week 30 to 40 minutes cardio then twice a week weights!! (I am afraid of bulking up I know I know being a woman its hard to bulk up but I still am afraid) I am not overweight Im 5'3 112 But I still have more weight around the middle and the hips!! (boy do I hate that chunk!!) So Im thinking I must need to change my diet but Im so confused on what I should eat!! Or do you think I should add more Cardio?? Or do you think I should just make what Im doing more intense?? Do you think I should do longer or harder???
I am confused with the whole no carbs and lots orf carb diets, Should I watch my carbs?? I would love also some new ideas for ab work!! Thank you thanks you!! Im ery excited about this new board!! Motivation!!!! :):)

Sky: First thank you so much.

What is a reasonable weight? Meaining is the height weight charts, are they realistic?
Having a medium bone structure, I am on the chart.. but to me they do seem unrealistic.

I like to eat healthy, I do enjoy exercise, but dont have the motivation I once had.

Is there something to help the motivation end? What is your opinion of Xenadrine or similiar products?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter