Get Ready to Get FIT FOR DISNEY!!

Hi,

Five years ago I was an overweight smoker. I FINALLY quit smoking after 17 years! YIPPY! But of course packed on more weight to my already overweight body. I peaked at 210 lbs, I am 5'6" tall with a medium frame. I always exercised, but my calorie intake was way more than what I burned. I finally got motivated and started to educate myself on fitness/food. I lost over 80 lbs (from size 22 to size 4). As a result of my weight loss and love for fitness, I became an aerobics instructor. When I was pregnant with my second child ( he's 18 months now), I started yoga practice. I had been in and out of yoga for years, but this time it stuck. I completed my training and now I teach yoga as well as step, toning, hi/lo aerobics. I love it! THING IS, during my last pregnancy I gained a lot of weight. I lost most, but I am battling with the last 10 pounds. I know it's not a lot on the scale of things, (I mean what's 10 lbs after losing over 80 pounds) but I've lost my motivation. I still exercise a lot, I've even completed one triathlon and I will be competing in my second triathlon this September (No, not the one at WDW Sept 16). BUT I CAN'T STAY AWAY FROM THE HIGH FAT BAD BAD BAD CALORIES! I think this new board is EXACTLY what I, and others like me, REALLY NEED to get motivated! Thanks for thinking about us!

Ok I have a question for Sky.

I have low back problems and whenever I walk WDW or DL after 30 minutes to an hour later my lower back is in pain. According to my DH I am walking like a pregnant women due to my stomach and my back muscles needs to be strengthened. Right now I am on the torso track which strenghtens my back, stomach, arms, and legs and I am doing this 5 days a week and 3 sets of 50 and 3 days a week I am on the treadmill 20-24 minutes. Also how long does it normally take to strenghten my back? I have been doing this for about a month and I am going to DL in September and I want this situation cleared up prior to our trip.

Is there anything else you would recommend for me to get inshape. I know not to go on a diet (I work for a famous spa in Tucson AZ) and I should get into low calarie and low fat and to just cut down on what I am eating (cut out on all the sweets and get alittle healthyer).

Thank you

Cindy

Welcome tho the Dis Sky and thanks for taking the time to come and help us out!

My question is about weights. What is a good number of reps to be doing? Should I be feeling a burn or is this working the muscle too hard? Also, is there ANY exercise that will help flatten the abs?

Hi Sky & welcome to the DIS!

what ab exercises do you recommend?
I'm going to WDW in October,
and I want to be able to "stomach" TOT!!
Thanks!

Sky, I think you are a Godsend. ;) Boy do I ever have alot of questions for you.

OK.. here is some background. I started a lifestyle change..not a diet last September. It really was a true lifestyle change. I went from being very sedetary to now being fairly active. I watch what I eat very carefully. I eat very low fat and as low calorie as I can stand it. I do not totally deprive myself of treats..but they are VERY limited. Not only have I gotten a grip on what and why and how I eat, but I started excersizing 6 days a week. I started out doing a half hour aerobics tape. That worked miracles for about 6 months..then it just wasn't enough for my body any longer. So, I switched to an hour long aerobics tape. I lost a total of 68 pounds. :D I still have just over 40 pounds to go...but that tape (even the hour long one) just wasn't doing the trick anymore. A few weeks ago I purchased a treadmill. I get on the evil torture device ;) 6 days a week. I walk at a pace of 3.7 miles an hour (after a 5 minute warmup) for an hour. I walk just over 3.5 miles and burn around 450-460 calories. This week I started to lift free weights with my DH every other evening too. My calorie intake has NOT gone up. My activity level has increased, but I haven't lost any more weight. As a matter of fact I have only lost 25 pounds since New Years. I am getting so incredibly frustrated. It is so hard to work out and push myself as hard as I do day after day and not see that darn scale moving downwards again.

I am VERY motivated to stick with it. I never want to go back to the way I used to be..but I do want to progress. Do you have any thoughts, advice or ideas that I can try to get the ball rolling again? Please!! I am seriously getting desperate here.:(

I, too, would like to know more about eating vegetables and liking it!!

Can you share cooking methods and recipes? DH and I both need help in this area!!

Hi Sky,
My sister and I used to be big American Gladiators fans and watch the show in our dance recital leotards, LOL! I was a little chunky then and I still am! But I lost 16 pounds on WW over the last 4 months. My problem is this: after I eat a meal, I spend the next 15 mins. on the lookout for more food. It's as if I can't get my brain to turn off. If I'm at home, I eat dinner and then I munch - a handful of this, a handful of that - literally until I leave the house! It has nothing to do with hunger, I just really want to keep eating. I have to leave the house (ie the kitchen) to get this feeling to stop. It happens at work, too. But 15 minutes later, the feeling has passed and I'll go a normal amount of time before my next meal. Do you have any advice for me? Why does this happen to me?
Dana

ME ready for Disney.......after a little part of my walk.....my front of my legs hurt......right down the middle of my shins.....is there something that I can do to stop this......it doesn't hurt before I walk or after I walk......but really bad when I walk......My husband on the other hand probably can walk circles around me......I just want to be able to stay in step with him.......thanks a million....and welcome to the DIS.......and I love veggies......

Hi everyone!

WOW!, It seems that motivation is the big issue this week!So let's get started!. BarbForReal, Ray Sharpton, Nickole, Debster812, SandraC,webmasterCathyCanada, PrincessVija >when it comes to health and exercise, all of you are dealing with lack of motivation. Most of the time when someone speaks of motivation, what they are really saying is "What's my pay off?" Trust me when I say the pay off is more than just losing a few pounds!. How about:

Less illness - better overall health
Weight loss
Improved muscle tone
Greater happiness
More enthusiasm and confidence
More productive and disciplined life
More mentally alert
Lower stress levels
Higher self esteem!!

Need I say more? It takes less than 30 days to change your health and fitness habits.
Love yourself enough to start today. You deserve it!!

Hi everyone!

WOW!, It seems that motivation is the big issue this week!So let's get started!. BarbForReal, Ray Sharpton, Nickole, Debster812, SandraC,webmasterCathyCanada, PrincessVija >when it comes to health and exercise, all of you are dealing with lack of motivation. Most of the time when someone speaks of motivation, what they are really saying is "What's my pay off?" Trust me when I say the pay off is more than just losing a few pounds!. How about:

Weight loss
Improved muscle tone
Greater happiness
More mentally alert
Lower stress levels
Higher self esteem!!

Need I say more? It takes less than 30 days to change your health and fitness habits.

Hi everyone!

Weight loss
Improved muscle tone
Greater happiness
More mentally alert
Lower stress levels
Higher self esteem!!

Hi "Sky" Eason-Korito,

Welcome to the DIS and thank you for your help. I just found all your information on the home page of the DIS at:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/fit/080101.shtmlA

I'm going to have to start drinking more water. Like a little more than 20 cups per day.

I like your idea about walking and adding one minute each day. I'm going to use a treadmill to start.

And your motivation reasons are all great. as a matter of fact, I'm going to print it up right now.

I'm looking forward to working with weight training,too.

Thank you, Ray :)

I also can’t get motivated to get back into shape. I was in top physical condition in HS and College and right up until my first year of marriage. Then all of a sudden I lost interest in staying in shape. I did attempt to get back into it when my first son was born; I joined Nutri system and lost 60 pounds. I have since gained some of it back.

I am going to follow your advice and I am determined to get my “Arnold” body back.

Thank you for helping us DISer’s get in shape.

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant :D but I don't want to lose control of my eating habits. I try to walk on my treadmill at least 4 times a week for 20 - 30 minutes at a time. Is it safe to lift weights (5 lbs.) if I'm pregnant? And once I'm in WDW, what precautions should I take with regards to walking SO much around the theme parks? We're going in October (3 days) and December (8 days). Also, can you recommend any sites that outline a healthy diet and exercise program for a mom-to-be? Thanks so much!

I know what everyone means about being motivated. I bought one of those eliptical machines...says just 20 mins. 3 times a week..but i can only stay on it a bout 5 minutes. I know i have to build up to it...but it is very frustrating.

Here's a walking program that I'm trying to follow:
http://www.bcbsri.com/walkri/schedule.htm

Typically, motivation is tough, but I'm trying.

My question:
Sky...does drinking all that water ever get better, as far as not having to run to the bathroom every two minutes?? :rolleyes: Every so often I get on a water drinking kick, but it gets very disruptive when finding a bathroom becomes my focus everywhere I go. And God forbid I don't get my walk in in the morning! I don't dare go after drinking water all day!

Dear NickGlover and Alemanke
This is concerning your questions regarding hypothyroidism. First and foremost before you read any further, remember I am not a doctor! Before starting any health or fitness program it is very important to consult your doctor.
The Thyroid gland hormones affect every cell of the body. Hypothyroidism, low thyroid, results in a large number of symptoms. Common symptoms are mental depression, muscle weakness, fatigue, poor memory, headaches, goiter, unexplained weight gain, swelling, just to name a few.
Proper nutrition is the best way to keep hypothyroidism in check. Here is a healthy basic nutrition outline to follow ( even though, I have no thyroid or any other health issue to deal with, this is basically the nutritional guidelines that I choose to follow):

* Follow a 75% fresh fruit and vegetable diet to rebalance metabolism
* Have a green salad twice a day
*Fresh fruit especially in the morning hours
* Avoid Chlorine as it depletes vitamin A
*Eat plenty of iodine rich foods such as sea vegetables, sea foods, fish, mushrooms, garlic,
onions, watercress
*Choose whole grains and brown rice
*Eat Vitamin A rich foods such as yellow vegetables, eggs, carrots, dark green
vegetables, raw dairy,
*Use herb salt instead of table salt
*Increase your intake of B6 rich foods suchs as free range chicken and eggs, carrots,
Beans, brown rice, corn,cantaloupe
*Remember raw carrots - the fiber tones the bowel, binds toxins (including carcinogens)
reduces the reaborption of estrogens and lowers cholestrol if high
*It's important to get adequate protein. Free range and organic chicken and eggs, halibut,
and white fish, organic, raw or cultured milk product such as low fat sugar free
yogurt and low fat cottage cheese
*Eat foods high in natural fiber
*Eat small meals frequently throughout the day to keep blood sugar levels
balanced
*Exercise everyday to work off unmetabolized acid waste.

AVOID:
*Avoid polyunsaturated fats (thyroid toxins and inhibitors) including soybean,
salflower, canola, Flaxseed, (use olive oil)
*Avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates, whole fat dairy foods, fried and fatty foods,
pastries, prepared meats, and saturated fats. Eliminate refined foods, caffeine,
preserved foods and red meat permanently
*Avoid "GOITROGENS" foods that prevent the use of iodine. Brussels sprouts,
turnips, liver, pine nuts, mallet, soy products.

I sure hope this helps you. Best wishes!

Dear NickGlover and Alemanke
This is concerning your questions regarding hypothyroidism. First and foremost before you read any further, remember I am not a doctor! Before starting any health or fitness program it is very important to consult your doctor.
The Thyroid gland hormones affect every cell of the body. Hypothyroidism, low thyroid, results in a large number of symptoms. Common symptoms are mental depression, muscle weakness, fatigue, poor memory, headaches, goiter, unexplained weight gain, swelling, just to name a few.
Proper nutrition is the best way to keep hypothyroidism in check. Here is a healthy basic nutrition outline to follow ( even though, I have no thyroid or any other health issue to deal with, this is basically the nutritional guidelines that I choose to follow):

* Follow a 75% fresh fruit and vegetable diet to rebalance metabolism
* Have a green salad twice a day
*Fresh fruit especially in the morning hours
* Avoid Chlorine as it depletes vitamin A
*Eat plenty of iodine rich foods such as sea vegetables, sea foods, fish, mushrooms, garlic,
onions, watercress
*Choose whole grains and brown rice
*Eat Vitamin A rich foods such as yellow vegetables, eggs, carrots, dark green
vegetables, raw dairy,
*Use herb salt instead of table salt
*Increase your intake of B6 rich foods suchs as free range chicken and eggs, carrots,
Beans, brown rice, corn,cantaloupe
*Remember raw carrots - the fiber tones the bowel, binds toxins (including carcinogens)
reduces the reaborption of estrogens and lowers cholestrol if high
*It's important to get adequate protein. Free range and organic chicken and eggs, halibut,
and white fish, organic, raw or cultured milk product such as low fat sugar free
yogurt and low fat cottage cheese
*Eat foods high in natural fiber
*Eat small meals frequently throughout the day to keep blood sugar levels
balanced
*Exercise everyday to work off unmetabolized acid waste.

AVOID:
*Avoid polyunsaturated fats (thyroid toxins and inhibitors) including soybean,
salflower, canola, Flaxseed, (use olive oil)
*Avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates, whole fat dairy foods, fried and fatty foods,
pastries, prepared meats, and saturated fats. Eliminate refined foods, caffeine,
preserved foods and red meat permanently
*Avoid "GOITROGENS" foods that prevent the use of iodine. Brussels sprouts,
turnips, liver, pine nuts, mallet, soy products.

I sure hope this helps you. Best wishes!

Hi Again!!

PATS> I realize you feel 5 minutes a day on your eliptical isn't much BUT, it's alot more than 85% of the american public does on a daily bases!! Hey! BE PROUD !! it's a start! make a goal of adding just one minute a day or every other day and you'll be up to 30 minutes before you know it!. Keep in touch and let me know how it's going.

MaryannDc> I realize that frequent trips to the bathroom isn't very fun..BUT..that's the way your body flushes out toxins. Nomally when you began to increase your fuild it takes your body about 3 to 4 weeks to ajust to the positive changes. So hang in there, the benefits far out way the inconvenience of TEMPORARY frequent toliet trips

It's great to see that you love what you do and are willing to share. Pete gives you the highest of recommendations so that's good enough for me.

A little history on me: I was grossly overweight when an embarrassing situation occured. I went on an amusement ride with my daughter and the restraint bar wouldn't click. I was, to say the least, humiliated. I promised my daughter that I would go on that ride with her next year. At that time I was 6'1" and 365 lbs. On December 18th of 2000, I started my lifestyle change and have since fallen into a routine.

I do at least 45 minutes of cardio (usually on an EFX Precor or my favorite Rebok Body Trek) Then I do some light weight training usually involving curls, chest press, tricep kickbacks, ab crunches and butterflys.

My food intake has changed dramatically also. I still do not eat a breakfast (I've never been a breakfast eater) At about 10 or 11 am I have 2 or 3 pieces of fruit. I workout in my gym at work around 1 PM or so. I get home at about 5 PM and have a rather large salad. (This time of year is great because I have my own garden and the veggies are all mine) I use non-fat salad dressings but I don't normally watch the calories. Oh yeah, I drink tons of water too.

As snacks I have either pretzles, low-fat popcorn, sherbert (1 gram fat 110 cal per serving), red licorice, rice cakes all depending on if I want something sweet or salty. Moderation seems to be the key. I also get a chanch to go to the YMCA 2 or 3 times a week where I do 30 minutes of cardio and the same weight training. I do treat myself on occasion after I have completed one of my many short term goals.

All told, I have lost 130 lbs so now I'm at 235. I went on that ride with my daughter this summer and that restraint system clicked down 4 times.

Now my questions: I seem to be at that plateau where I'm not moving either way. I would like to try to increase my weight training and start to build up more muscle but I know I have to keep my cardio in place. What do you think would be a next step in starting that process? Should I look to change my diet to compensate for building muscle? If a diet change is recommended, will this affect my cardio routine (increase or decrease)? If I do start weight training, are there any supplements/vitamins that I should look into taking? Thanks for taking the time to respond to our questions. I'll await your reply.

Adam aka Big Dude

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter