Gideon's Bakehouse - what's the fuss about?

The Jack Jack Cookie Num Nums at DHS are not good compared to the ones at Disneyland. The DHS ones are mostly crispy throughout and even a little dry. I think they warm them under a lamp. At DCA, they keep them in a warming container without the heated lamp. They are crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. They are so moist that they fall apart a bit as you pull off pieces. The DHS ones were hard to pull apart; we really had to bite them instead.

We hope to get to DL some day. The num num we had at DHS was not crispy throughout at all, nor dry. It was moist and soft inside and had a fantastic chocolate pull when I broke off pieces. Must depend on the batch and how long they sit on the warmer?

I'm totally making that complaint. Not undercooked. It felt like a mouthful of raw dough. Now I LOVE cookie dough...in moderation. It was just too much. The coffee cake cookie had a good flavor but was actually so "raw" that it was greasy in my hands. I could have shaped it into anything I wanted, like play dough. Of the flavors we tried, the pistachio was the best because the nuts gave the cookie some desperately needed texture/crunch and a nice nutty note to cut the overwhelming sweetness.
Not saying you have to like it, but that is what they are known for.

We hope to get to DL some day. The num num we had at DHS was not crispy throughout at all, nor dry. It was moist and soft inside and had a fantastic chocolate pull when I broke off pieces. Must depend on the batch and how long they sit on the warmer?

We have had them late afternoon and early morning with no difference. Bad luck I guess. I prefer the DL ones or the ones I make at home.

I gave my opinion about the cookies months ago. We got a day old cookie that was not good. The cake slice was very sweet(and I eat cotton candy) and the frosting was grainy. They are way over rated and seem to be very inconsistent with their product. I think being at WDW is more then this company can handle.

Haven't tried one yet, but they seem like an overpriced cookie that we can get similar at home for far less.
Last time we were there, saw the line and walked away.
Not sure if we missed anything or not.

I'm totally making that complaint. Not undercooked. It felt like a mouthful of raw dough. Now I LOVE cookie dough...in moderation. It was just too much. The coffee cake cookie had a good flavor but was actually so "raw" that it was greasy in my hands. I could have shaped it into anything I wanted, like play dough. Of the flavors we tried, the pistachio was the best because the nuts gave the cookie some desperately needed texture/crunch and a nice nutty note to cut the overwhelming sweetness.

I was just talking to some friends that spent the week at Disney, and they stopped in and got some cookies, and she said almost word for word what I just read. .. They only got two to try, and were very glad that they only got the two.. she said that they were just raw... she said the amount of butter or oil, they were using was way to much, like they were trying to over compensate for the dryness in the batter... She is has a small dessert business out of her house, and her desserts are absolutely amazing...

I was surprised after our experience of the dry crumbly cookies, to her raw cookies review... According to my friend, they need to most likely fine tune the batter and baking time to get the right consistency, and texture... She loves to try different dessert options, while on vacation it gives her ideas for her little business...

... According to my friend, they need to most likely fine tune the batter and baking time to get the right consistency, and texture.

Your friend might be 129% correct to make a better product. But, would it translate to enhance the bottom line?
Mcdonalds can surely make better food for MY tastes. But the lines and income say they are doing just fine for now, no matter what I say.
Better cookies for some might mean less profit.

I did not expect these to be worth the hype for me. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to everyone liking something and their being ridiculous waits. When I finally tried it in May, I loved it! Mine was chocolate/chocolate chip and was nice and soft and cooked perfectly . I ate it over the course of four days though. It is a lot of cookie! I would definitely get one again if the timing is right. I wouldn't wait a crazy amount of time or make a special trip to DS for them. I would definitely join a waitlist if I'm over there and get one if my place i9s called while I am still there.

Maybe it is because we have been saturated with the "big cookie" craze in NYC for years now with places like Levain Bakery, Chip, etc., but we tried Gideon's yesterday and were underwhelmed.

On Monday night it was a 2 hour plus wait with their virtual queue, so we passed. We were at Disney Springs again yesterday around 4 and decided to pick up some cookies since the wait was only 20 minutes.

This place seems like a clear example of quantity and Instagram visual appeal over quality. The cookies were all dry and crumbly - not the texture at all from a cookie like this (and from others that I've had). Maybe this is a result of needing to keep up with huge demand at Disney Springs, or maybe it is just how they are. In any event, I would not really go out of my way to recommend this place to others, especially not for a multiple hour wait. It was fine, but definitely a let down after all the hype about this place.
I agree… I went into this place thinking I was going to get a fresh cinnamon roll… instead I was surprised by how dry and puffy it was. Perhaps I was expecting a Cinnabon like experience… instead I got the gas station pastry bar experience. There apple slush was tasty tho.. and if you can get a seat in there.. pretty cool ambience

Honestly, anything new at Disney gets ridiculously hype levels. There is a massive thread on space 220 and it hasn’t even open or posted a menu yet. I’ll stick to dole whip and try gideons in a couple years when there is zero wait.

I've always loved their cookies but I have only bought from their original location (baked in smaller batches and when they're out, they're out). My guess is that a small bakery trying to ramp up to the Disney Springs production has been hard on quality control.

That said, Disney hype across the board is ridiculous. There is not a single food item at Disney that is a must for me because it's unique or *thatgood* Pixie Dust is a super powerful force :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter