• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gilmore Girls ...

I wasn't feeling the 10 years later episodes, either. I watched them all, but found they often dragged (esp the musical) and some of the storylines were pointless and not entertaining (and, in some cases, completely out of character as mentioned above). We just did the Warner Brothers Studio tour a few weeks ago and I was more entertained spotting things we saw in person :laughing:

And... maybe Rory was obnoxious in the original and I didn't notice but I found her insufferable in this reboot. Especially since she was supposed to be a woman in her 30's!

Rory was definitely obnoxious in the original. That's one of the main reasons I stopped watching after about one season.

I was not surprised that Rory hadn't matured as much as one would expect. She's always had a safety net. Never had to truly worry about paying the bills and putting a roof over her head. She was so repulsed by the 30 something gang, but her existence was just a difference version of theirs. But for me, that was my annoyance with her in the later seasons of the show - she doesn't really acknowledge her privilege.

That's a good point! I think it has to do with her mom running away from all that privilege and not accepting help. She looks up to her mom so much that she's likely ambivalent about benefiting from her grandparents position herself.

I thought it was overall disappointing. ASP lost the balance in crafting characters who were flawed, but good hearted and made them into jerks. Mostly for RG and LG. I could not get over what type of monster LG must be that her instinct at her father's wake is to be cruel. It went down from there. I admit there were good bits here and there scattered about the 4 episodes. There were some real clunkers, and the story itself was not satisfying. The final four words at the end of season 3 or 7 would have been jarring. Not at this point in the saga. Way way too many cameos.

At least this makes the Veronica Mars movie seem better by comparison.

It was good, but had way too much filler for me. That musical was awful, but I loved the other stars hallow hijinks...the sewers...ooooober lol. I hate the way they made Rory a mistress and the forgotten boyfriend was dumb. I actually like logan for her. To me jess was never really developed enough to like him in the original. I never really felt attached to him. I felt like the show came full circle though. Rory is now Lorelai, Logan is her dad and Jess is her Luke.

I see that I'm in the minority but I loved it. I loved the last words especially because during the entire thing (especially the Luke/Lorelai/Paris arc) I kept thinking that that was what needed to happen. I personally like to think that it is the Wookie and not Logan.

Kirk's second movie was AWESOME.

How could it be the Wookie's baby? She'd absolutely be showing if that were the case. That sort of inconsistency would be really annoying if it were true. I wonder if that part were there just to raise the question as to whose baby it was.

I was lucky enough to attend a top liberal arts college because I can from a working class household and grants made it doable. I grew up real quick after graduation because I had to pay my bills - rent, groceries, car, insurance. I didn't have the luxury of turning down a solid job for the possibility of a top internship. I didn't have the security of being supported by family. Rory has the luxury of making her choices without consequence beyond the emotional. And that's kept her in a state of arrested development. The 30 something gang makes me think that's exactly the point ASP was making.

How could it be the Wookie's baby? She'd absolutely be showing if that were the case. That sort of inconsistency would be really annoying if it were true. I wonder if that part were there just to raise the question as to whose baby it was.

Thank you!! I don't know why I didn't pick up on that. It CAN'T be the Wookie's baby! Is her boyfriend a possibility? I can't remember which season he broke up with her.

I'm on episode three, but I cheated and read spoilers for four. Will watch the last ep today then go back to where I left off on rewatching the whole series and watch these last 4 again after that. I'm so, so glad they redid this, but there are moments where I feel like the actors are overdoing it. As if maybe some of them have spent time in theatre between season 7 and now. I would love to discuss more specifics about characters and events, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet watched. Knowing what I know about the end, I REALLY hope there will be more episodes in the future.

Thank you!! I don't know why I didn't pick up on that. It CAN'T be the Wookie's baby! Is her boyfriend a possibility? I can't remember which season he broke up with her.

I'm almost 100% that it's Logan's. It's the circle continuing with Rory. Like @nugov2 said previously, Rory is Lorelei, Jess is her Luke, and Logan is her Christopher. It just can't be the Wookie's or forgettable Paul's...well I mean I guess it could but that would be so wrong...musical kind of wrong!

And as for the musical, I am watching the seasons again and I just had to fast forward through it again. It's painful! I get that was the point but it was just too long and too in your face bad. I just can't!

Just read through the rest of this thread, and since people are already talking about Rory and Logan, I will jump in. This is one of the things I least liked about the revival show. I'm so disappointed that ASP didn't allow Rory to learn her lesson after the Dean fiasco. I always wanted Rory and Logan to end up together - as in really together. The Rory-Logan relationship in the revival is the worst. Now, I've jumped ship to Rory-Jess, but I'm not sure at this point that she's good enough for Jess. UGH!

Now, I've jumped ship to Rory-Jess, but I'm not sure at this point that she's good enough for Jess. UGH!

I wasn't a real fan of Jess (or Logan for that matter), but.... I think Jess is really the reason why she went back Yale and he is the reason she is writing the book, which will obviously be a huge success.... he is the one who motivates her to be a better person.

Thinking about the musical... LG is the only person who thinks it's bad. She's also the only one who thinks the new song is good. Is the point that sometimes our reality/perspective just totally different than everyone else?

Finally finished watching the rest!

@Turn the Page, yes yes yes...I agree with everything you said!

Me too...except for hating the Wizard of Oz thing! I actually loved that, because it so "fit" with the group - turning an emotional thing into a script.

I was not expecting the ending at all! In fact, I'm kind of disappointed (other than the fact that seems to be a set up for a sequel). I was expecting it to be some powerful quote, rather than a plot element. (In fact, when I heard the "it's never or now" line in episode three, I thought I had made a mistake about where the "four words" were supposed to be.)

Anyway, some of it was out there, some I would have done differently - but there was a lot I liked and only one thing I was really mad at:
that Rory is still letting herself be used by Logan.

Overall, I enjoyed my little trip to Stars Hollow this weekend.

Me too...except for hating the Wizard of Oz thing! I actually loved that, because it so "fit" with the groupbut there was a lot I liked and only one thing I was really mad at:
that Rory is still letting herself be used by Logan.

I agree I thought the Wizard of Oz thing fit.

I think at the end of the "adventure" Rory let go of Logan. Yes they had one more night together but she let him go at the end. Refusing his house, refusing breakfast, leaving on her own (well almost on her own :) )

I thought of another thing:

Why did Rory choose to tell Lorelai right then? Why spoil such an important day? I'm pretty sure Rory already knew when she was talking to Christopher, so what's a couple more days?

I can't imagine Lorelai being happy about this at first. All the sacrifices she made to raise Rory not to make the same mistakes she did, and now this? It's all she's going to be able to think about.

Finished it today. For me the first 3 episodes were ok. Some parts dragged, but I really liked Fall. I just love Emily Gilmore! I always found her hilarious!

I just finished it. Fall was wonderful! I absolutely loved it. The first three were awkward and infuriating at times, but Fall felt right. I really, really hope we get the rest of Rory's story at some point. And, I have fully converted to Team Jess. Now I must go wash my face because the tears were flowing for much of this episode. What a beautiful, perfect ending for Luke and Lorelai. Yay, Kirk!

I just finished it. Fall was wonderful! I absolutely loved it. The first three were awkward and infuriating at times, but Fall felt right. I really, really hope we get the rest of Rory's story at some point. And, I have fully converted to Team Jess. Now I must go wash my face because the tears were flowing for much of this episode. What a beautiful, perfect ending for Luke and Lorelai. Yay, Kirk!
Yes yes yes to all of this!!

I actually loved Winter as well ( have already rewatched that one). Spring was ok but kind of forgetable. Summer....ugh....except for Sutton Foster (LOVE her) I really disliked that episode, except for maybe the last 30 minutes of it. LOVED FALL. Will definitely rewatch that one as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter