Gluten Free Dining Plan Reviews

I found this whole thing terribly embarrassing, and I really felt guilty for having taken the fries. Bad, bad gluten-free guest! :mad: Shame on you, you naughty thing, you! :guilty:

I wondered: How would Donald Duck have reacted to this woman and this situation?

You're so funny!

I had a similar type of experience at 50's Prime Time Diner. The chef came out to get DD11's order but at the time she was still only 9 so she was a child on the DDP. I had no idea which drinks were allowed with a child's meal so when she asked if she could get a milkshake (she's also dairy free so milkshakes area a HUGE deal) he gladly said he could make her one. When the waitress came out to find out what to mark down as her order, she was all shocked and said that she can't get a milkshake as her drink. She was pretty good though and said she'd figure out how to ring it up. I think though she to some degree had to lay on the guilt because "aunty" had her party to play. That's part of the atmosphere. She later did the airplane game to get DH to finish his meal though she of course first had to get the attention of everybody in our area. I got in on film of course. And posted it to facebook. Hee hee hee.

The Mara (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo side)

The Mara was an interesting mix of service. There is an Asian female chef who works some of the morning and early afternoon shifts (I am so sorry . . . I wrote down names and have misplaced them - if anyone knows please post!). She is knowledgeable and very careful to prepare everything separately.

At other times, I had different chefs. One did not understand that he should not serve my eggs from the main serving station, where they use the spoon to put eggs on everything from a bare plate to a croissant breakfast sandwich, which of course is cross-contamination. I had to stop him. One of the Cast Members working the line pulled him aside to explain how important it was to serve my food from the back, which he then did and all was well.

So, be careful and watch closely at all times!

The food was very good -- the gluten-free pancakes and gluten-free Mickey waffles here are excellent.

I also had the half-chicken chicken with dedicated-fryer French fries and then, for lunch one day, the Mara Salad - a light vinaigrette dressing on a salad that has chic peas, lentils, and cheese (feta, I believe). Very good!

One night, I ordered a hamburger. The chef (the wonderful Asian lady who I loved) said they were out of gluten-free burger buns and offered to make me "sliders" on individual mini gluten-free dinner rolls. She used fresh hamburger and cooked the burgers on the med-rare side, as much as she safely could, per my request. They were wonderful.

Another night, I had the gluten-free pizza. I believe they use Amy's. It was fair. To make it better, I put some parm. cheese on top (available in individual packets at the condiment table) and hot pepper flakes.

Okay, so here's a good one:

When I ordered the pizza, the chef asked me, "What would you like with that?"

I answered him, "I don't know. I am on the dining plan and using this as a counter service meal. Does anything come with it in addition to dessert?"

The chef said, "You can have fries if you want."

I said, "Sure," although goodness knows I didn't need them! And truth be told, as I look back, I don't think pizza selections come with a side dish, but I trusted the chef's word.

The pizza was quite large and I wasn't able to finish even half of it. Fries really put it over the top, but when I was offered them, I did not know how large the serving would be, and I figured what the heck, if it comes with it, why not? Maybe hubby would want some of it?

I added a gluten-free brownie for dessert (more on these below) and headed to the check-out station.

The cashier asked me, "What do you want to count as a snack, the fries or the brownie?"

I said, "I was told the fries would come with the gluten-free pizza as part of my counter service dinner."

She was very rude. She looked at everyone else in the line behind me and rolled her eyes, then she looked at me and shook her head as if to imply, "You idiot!"

I said, "Please speak to the chef. He can verify."

She said, "Well, where's the chef?"

That comment really took me back. I said, "I don't know, he's back in the kitchen somewhere."

Then she shot the same look to everyone behind me again, and they looked at me as if I were crazy, too. She rang up my ticket and grudgingly gave it to me, not charging me for a snack.

I found this whole thing terribly embarrassing, and I really felt guilty for having taken the fries. Bad, bad gluten-free guest! :mad: Shame on you, you naughty thing, you! :guilty:

I wondered: How would Donald Duck have reacted to this woman and this situation?

That made me laugh and helped me get over it.

That said, last year and this year, every single CM who serviced me at The Mara (aside from her) has been delightful. This woman was the exception, not the rule. Watch for her -- she's, I would guess, in her 60's with light brown curly hair below the ears. She's been there for a while. I remember her from last year, and while I did not have a problem with her then, she wasn't all that particularly nice last year, either.

Okay, so there's more . . .

On one of my trips to The Mara, one of the chefs pointed out a special dietary section that houses desserts. It is located next to the check-out area, between the refrigerated section and the first check-out. It is a woven shelf unit. On the bottom are gluten-free brownies. On the upper shelves are jelly beans, caramel corn and chocolate chip cookies.

I was given the impression that all of the snacks in this section were gluten free, but they are not. This is a section for people with various needs, not just gluten-free.
READ THE INGREDIENTS CAREFULLY. The only items that are honestly safe are the gluten-free brownies. (I enjoyed them.) The other items state that wheat may be present in the manufacturing, and the cookies have wheat as the first ingredient.

That's tonight's post! :)

Several places have this shelf now. The Divies are not gluten free but the French Meadow (brownie and cookie) are.
We saw this shelf at WL, Pop, Sunshine Seasons and CB.

You're so funny!

I had a similar type of experience at 50's Prime Time Diner. The chef came out to get DD11's order but at the time she was still only 9 so she was a child on the DDP. I had no idea which drinks were allowed with a child's meal so when she asked if she could get a milkshake (she's also dairy free so milkshakes area a HUGE deal) he gladly said he could make her one. When the waitress came out to find out what to mark down as her order, she was all shocked and said that she can't get a milkshake as her drink. She was pretty good though and said she'd figure out how to ring it up. I think though she to some degree had to lay on the guilt because "aunty" had her party to play. That's part of the atmosphere. She later did the airplane game to get DH to finish his meal though she of course first had to get the attention of everybody in our area. I got in on film of course. And posted it to facebook. Hee hee hee.

Ha!

I'd love to see the film. Is there a link?

Several places have this shelf now. The Divies are not gluten free but the French Meadow (brownie and cookie) are.
We saw this shelf at WL, Pop, Sunshine Seasons and CB.

I do not remember the name of the chocolate chip cookie, but the one at The Mara was definitely not gluten-free. I wish I had noted the name on the wrapper.

I do not remember the name of the chocolate chip cookie, but the one at The Mara was definitely not gluten-free. I wish I had noted the name on the wrapper.

Disney had two packages of chocolate chip cookies. One is Divies (white package 2 cookies)-NOT gluten free. The second is in a clear wrapper by French Meadow (contains 1 cookie) and IS gluten free. The gluten free brownie is wrapped the same way.

I also recently dined at the Mara and had some inconsistencies. The chef (who also helped me the next day at Boma) couldn't get it through his head that I couldn't have Gluten AND dairy. He kept offering me pizza and mac and cheese and I had to keep telling him NO DAIRY. He never did get it the first day. The second day he kept saying gluten and finally I had to stop him and say NO DAIRY. He finally got it!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the cashier.

I think you bring up a good point that you need to be diligent and watch when Chefs are making things, sometimes they don't realize the cross contamination issue.

Keep those reviews coming! :cool1:

These reviews are great! :goodvibes I am especially excited to try the GF pancakes. I loooove pancakes! Pamela's makes a great pancake mix so I hope this is what Disney uses.

Thank you so much for the reviews!! :thumbsup2We're not going until March but I'm trying to learn all the celiac info for DH that I can. I have some ADR plans but who knows what I will end up with and I have one picky daughter so when making restaurant choices I have to take her into consideration too. Waiting for more reviews.popcorn::

Disney had two packages of chocolate chip cookies. One is Divies (white package 2 cookies)-NOT gluten free. The second is in a clear wrapper by French Meadow (contains 1 cookie) and IS gluten free. The gluten free brownie is wrapped the same way.

Yep, mine were Divvies! You're right. As soon as I read it, I remembered it.

The French Meadow brownie is great -- loved it!

I think you bring up a good point that you need to be diligent and watch when Chefs are making things, sometimes they don't realize the cross contamination issue.

Keep those reviews coming! :cool1:

Yeah, you really do, and with servers, too. Servers sometimes think they can self-diagnose what is gluten-free. I had one tell me that something -- I don't remember what -- would be okay because there wasn't wheat in it. They don't always understand about how many other ingredients can cause problems.

The chefs at the table service restaurants are definitely the most knowledgable of the bunch, and the double dining credit restaurant chefs seem to be particularly up on things.

I really loved that Jiko had a separate menu just for me. I like being able to browse a menu without someone standing over me . . . and I like being able to think about it and maybe change my mind a couple times before I decide on what I really want.

Captain Cook's (Polynesian Resort)

Hubby had Aloha Pork Sandwich - Pulled pork with BBQ sauce, pineapple cole slaw, cheddar cheese, cucumbers and tomatoes, served warm on a pineapple-coconut hoagie roll. Served with Polynesian chips. He enjoyed it very much and would have it again.

I had a bacon cheeseburger on a gluten-free bun, with fries. I forgot to ask the chef to microwave the bun for 10-15 seconds, so it was as hard as a rock, and I could not eat it. I wrapped the burger in lettuce and ate it that way. The fries were good, but I was getting tired of french fries by this time.

I'm not sure if the Polynesian chips are GF. They looked wonderful -- if I go there again, I'm going to ask if they're okay.

The hambuger at The Mara was MUCH better. Captain Cook's used preformed patties that were probably frozen. The wonderful lady at The Mara used fresh, hand-formed hamburger. What a difference!

For dessert I had Dole Whip (fat-free soft serve "ice cream"), pineapple and vanilla blended. You serve yourself, and you can fill the bowl as high as you like. They do not have chocolate at this machine.

This was refreshing, and I enjoyed it. It was icy, though -- not as smooth or creamy as I remember it being at the Dole station in the Magic Kingdom. I'd get it again at Cook's, but if I REALLY wanted Dole Whip, I'd head to Adventureland first.

If I do go again, I think I'll ask them if they can prepare one of their salads gluten-free instead of having another hamburger.

Hubby had a dessert from the bakery case. It looked a lot like apple strudel. He thought it was good; he said he'd have it again, but it didn't big-time wow him. I looked amazing -- I wish I could have tasted it.

Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, Main Street Magic Kingdom
Popcorn and Mickey Ice Cream Bar

I had vanilla Rice Dream "Ice Cream" at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. I'd never tasted it and wanted to give it a try.

There has been some debate as to whether Rice Dream Ice Cream is GF. As I mentioned earlier, this is where I was given a binder to check ingredients, and the ingredients did not list anything threatening, so I went for it.

I was fine with it and did not have a reaction.

The ice cream has a fabulous mouth feel -- very rich and creamy. On my first bite, I thought it tasted a bit weird, but by the time I had a few bites, I fell in love with it. It's not the same as vanilla ice cream, but it is very good.

The portion size is quite large. I could have easily split it with someone, but still ate every bite.

Hubby had Edy's chocolate. What's not to like? My portion size was even larger than his! I think sometimes the chefs go a little overboard to compensate for guests' special needs, which is nice. (My favorite lady at The Mara did this frequently. I really hope she takes care of you if you eat there.)

I waddled out of the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, stuffed, but happy! :goodvibes That day was particularly hot, and the ice cream was a welcome treat.

Hint: Go next door into, I believe it is Main Street Bakery, and grab a nice, cool seat rather than trying to find a place to sit down outside to eat your ice cream, especially on a hot day when everything melts in an instant. A lot of people don't realize there's seating there, and Plaza Ice Cream Parlor guests are welcome.

Cart / Vendor Popcorn and Mickey Chocolate Ice Cream Bar

The vendor popcorn is typical vendor popcorn. It's always a little too salty for me, but it's a great, quick snack on days when your stomach is growling and you don't know what to eat.

The Mickey Chocolate Ice Cream Bar is a wonderful gluten-free treat. The chocolate is decadent.

Also good are the frozen lemonades around the park -- DH and I split one at Animal Kingdom Park at the vendor stand in, if memory serves, Asia. Flame Tree BBQ used to carry these, too, but they have discontinued them.

Well, I feel as though I've written text longer than War & Peace, here! I think that's everything. Thank you for reading all this!

If I think of anything else, I'll add it. In the meantime, I hope others will post their gluten-free Disney Dining experiences here. We need more of them!

cooperbrick Thank you very much for your detailed information. we are planning our first DW trip and now I think it will be worth it to get the DDP for the family. The joy our DS will feel when he can order from any of the listed eateries and feel (I don't know the right word) will make my heart sing.:woohoo:

cooperbrick Thank you very much for your detailed information. we are planning our first DW trip and now I think it will be worth it to get the DDP for the family. The joy our DS will feel when he can order from any of the listed eateries and feel (I don't know the right word) will make my heart sing.:woohoo:

Yes, it really will make your heart sing. I think the word is "free!" It is very liberating to know you can go to any sit down Disney owned restaurant and receive the proper care.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad the posts helped. WDW is known throughout the world for being one of the best destinations for those with food alergies. I hope you'll PM me and let me know how your DS enjoyed the dining there.

When doing counter service, be sure to leave extra time for the chef to come out, order to be prepared, etc. I'd allow a half hour extra. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes to find out what is okay to order, but if something needs to be specially prepared, it often takes longer.

At one point, we tried to do the counter service at The Marketplace at the Beach Club see post directly below). After a half hour, the chef hadn't even appeared! Augh! We left and vowed never to return.

A word about Beach Club Marketplace Counter Service

I will probably never try to eat counter service at the Beach Club again. I asked for a chef who never appeared. After waiting a half an hour (the place was empty), I told the CMs I was leaving. They were very nice and apologized, but good grief, for the chef to not even show or not to send someone out to explain why, no excuse for this.

Thanks for the wonderful reviews! I am planning my next GF trip to WDW for August and trying to narrow down my choice of restaurants! O'Hana's is a must....I have had the delightful experience of Chef TJ at Boma and I hope to see him again at O'Hana! I want to try Kouzzina - but I am a little nervous (especially as a GF vegetarian!).

Thanks for the wonderful reviews! I am planning my next GF trip to WDW for August and trying to narrow down my choice of restaurants! O'Hana's is a must....I have had the delightful experience of Chef TJ at Boma and I hope to see him again at O'Hana! I want to try Kouzzina - but I am a little nervous (especially as a GF vegetarian!).

As a vegetarian, you might do great. They have a Spiced Briami Oven-roasted Vegetables, Oregano, Mazithra Cheese served with Herbed Orzo. Does that sound good, sans Orzo? Maybe they could substitute rice?

What I would do is call the dietary line at Disney, or maybe call Kouzzina's directly, if that's possible, and ask what is available for vegetarian gluten-free.

What worries me for you is this: The impression the chef gave me was, "If it isn't already available as gluten free or if it isn't already something easy for me to swap out, I am not changing anything."

Let me know what you find out.

PS: I've read that sometimes Chef TJ also services Cook's. If he does, I'm sure you'll be in for some wonderful service!

I'm excited for a fresh burger at The Mara! I'm heading down next Monday and can't wait!

I will probably never try to eat counter service at the Beach Club again. I asked for a chef who never appeared. After waiting a half an hour (the place was empty), I told the CMs I was leaving. They were very nice and apologized, but good grief, for the chef to not even show or not to send someone out to explain why, no excuse for this.

We stayed at the BCV last fall. I did manage to get some really good roast beef sandwiches made on GF rolls. I didn't speak with the chef, but the manager took my order and brought it directly to the kitchen. It took about 45 minutes to get our sandwiches (time that I spent at the pool), but they were worth it. We ordered the same sandwiches on the morning we left to take to the airport with us. They were not quite as good - but then again I may not have been quite as hungry. I will say that no one in the Marketplace Cafe had any idea of what was gluten free. If I had not spoken with the manager, I would not have risked eating a sandwich there.

For CS locations Brenda from the special diets department (sorry cannot remember title) as told us to ask for the manager not the chefs. It is possible that they just have cooks that do the standard and not an actual chef there at all times.

Glad to hear Mara has GF french fries. Since we stay DVC if we are at AKV I usually just fix her something in the room. Since many places at home she cannot get fries that would be a treat for her.

Denise in MI

P.S.

Don't expect fresh waffles at Crystal Palace. That was the only place to serve DD frozen waffles. Everywhere else she was happy to get Mickey like everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter