Gluten Free Dining Plan Reviews

copperbrick

DIS Veteran
I hope others will post their gluten-free Disney Dining experiences here.

Here's mine. We were at Disney from Oct 2 to Oct 11, 2009 . . .

Included here are general dining plan reviews on behalf of my husband (does not need gluten-free dining) and gluten-free specific dining reviews from me (I'm the GF'er):

Table Service:

Sanaa (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani side)
Jiko (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo side, two dining credits)
Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo side)
Citricos (Grand Floridian Resort, two dining credits)
LeCellier (Epcot, Canada)
Kouzzina by Cat Cora (Boardwalk)
'Ohana (Polynesian Resort)

Had pressed pot coffee at: Sanaa, Jiko, Boma, Citricos, and Kouzzina. All pressed-pot coffee was outstanding -- highly recommend. Hint: DH had soda with his meals, but I saved my beverage credit for coffee. Because the pressed-pot coffee is usually a large serving (Sanaa smaller), they brought two cups just in case DH wanted some, too, which he did, but even though it served us both, it counted as a single beverage for me and was no additional charge for him.

Quick Service:

Sunshine Seasons (Epcot Future World, The Land Pavilion)
Flame Tree BBQ (Animal Kingdom Park, Discovery Island)
The Mara (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo side)
Captain Cook's (Polynesian Resort)

Snacks:

Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, Main Street Magic Kingdom
Popcorn and Mickey Ice Cream Bar, various vendor carts at Hollywood Studios

Also a word about gluten free breads at Disney.

I will begin by saying that all the chefs at every table service restaurant were knowledgeable, accommodating and caring.

Often, the food I ordered was exactly as on the menu because the dish was already gluten-free. Where adjustments were needed, they were often a step up. More as I continue . . .

As suggested by Disney, I always let the server know I needed gluten-free dining. Every chef came out to speak with me and treated me as though I was the most important guest in the world. The service was outstanding.

Quick service varied, as I'll explain.

Snacks: Watch ingredients carefully, as I'll explain.

I'll begin with table service restaurants:

Sanaa (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani side)

This was one of my favorite meals. The portion sizes were small, though, so I'd recommend going to Sanaa after you've had at least a few days of Disney Dining -- those of you who have done the dining plan know what I mean, I'm sure! You get to the point where there's been SO MUCH FOOD that a smaller portion size is a welcome relief!

We split the Mustard Seed Crusted Scallops - With a Coconut Cream Sauce -- it was excellent with a light touch of coconut. Three large scallops.

I had the combo of short ribs and Tandoori chicken with basmati rice. The spices and flavors were sooooo rich and delicious. Again, the portions were quite small -- the short ribs were two large bits-size pieces that I cut into smaller bites. My husband said he would have been disappointed had he ordered it, but I loved it. It was enough food for me though, and very satisfying.

DESSERT WAS AMAZING, and the portion was large. Chai Cream -- oh my gosh, it was my favorite dessert of the trip. It comes in a tall, V-shaped glass. As I watched it being served to others, I thought it was a dessert drink, but it is not.

What it IS is a Crème brulee style dessert, but without the Crème brulee sugar-crusted crust. This dessert is heaven -- very creamy, rich -- Chi comfort food at its best. If you love the flavor of Chai, you must try this dessert. It is gluten-free as made and didn't need any adjustments except I did not get a cookie with it. I was given a white chocolate “straw” -- wonderful.

DH (does not need to eat GF) had NY Strip Steak. It was a thin steak and came overcooked (he likes rare -- thin steaks are hard to keep rare). This isn't really a steak place and probably not the best place to order steak.

Great service. Beautiful view of Savannah.

I LOVED THIS MEAL and would definitely book it again. Hubby will have to try something different next time. ;)

I'll be adding the rest as time allows, so stay tuned!

Jiko (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo side, two dining credits)

DH had Kenyan Coffee Barbecue Beef Short Ribs - with Potato-Mushroom Hash and Onion-Garlic Sauce – he thought it was good.

I had Wood-fired Lamb Loin- with Spiced Lentils, Baby Carrots, and Lemon-infused Demi-glace. I am not sure if the lamb needed to be prepared separately, without marinade. It was tender and cooked perfectly, but I found it lacked flavor. I wished for more salt, which is unusual for me at a deluxe dining restaurant, especially since I go light on salt and seldom add salt to anything.

Next time, Hubby would order the pork shank or fillet, and I would, too, if they are available as gluten-free.

This was the only restaurant that had a special gluten-free menu, which I appreciated. It was nice not to have to ask the chef about the dishes individually, although he still took time to come out and speak with me.

I would also like to try the main dish seared maize pudding if GF – I love corn meal dishes such as polenta, grits, and I like the corn and spinach “pudding” side dish at Boma, so I’d probably enjoy it. I can’t wait to go back and try.

We both had Pistachio Crème Brulee - With a chocolate-layered bottom for dessert. It was very good – the chocolate bottom is a nice touch.

Last year I had the lemon curd. It didn’t wow me. I wasn’t GF then, so I’m not sure if I could have had it this year – didn’t want it.

There are a lot of crème brulee desserts on the dining plan, so next year at Jiko I will probably get the artisan cheese selection for dessert, with a recommended wine. (The wine list at Jiko is worth the trip alone.) I had the cheese as an appetizer last year, and it was outstanding . . . I love cheese for dessert -- would be fun.

The service was outstanding, and I made a new cast member friend with the woman who served our coffee – she was delightful. I’d ask for her next time, if she’s available. Her name is Shellie, and she’s a sweetie with a fun personality.

The atmosphere is the best of all Disney restaurants, in my opinion. I just love this place – loved it last year, too.

More to come . . .

Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo side)

When I ate at Boma last year, I only tried a few of the selections. I was suffering from gluten-intolerance but did not know it at the time . . . I thought it was veggies and fiber that were causing the problem, and so I didn’t eat all that much. I was sick and not in the best mood, so the restaurant didn’t impress me all that much. I vowed to give it another try.

LOVED IT!

First, the chef was great. She took me to every station to show me what I could and could not eat. There WERE TONS of selections I could have, including all the veggies I passed over last year. Everything was excellent.

Hubby was equally impressed . . . I think he had just about everything on the buffet, or close to it, and enjoyed it all.

Best was dessert. The chef showed me the couple of things I could have, including fruit, but she asked me to wait because she wanted to make me something special. She smiled and said she’d make special Zebra Domes just for me, with chocolate bottoms to replace the cookie crumb bottoms. They were incredible.

Last year, I thought the Zebra Domes tasted as though they were made with cheap ingredients, but this year they tasted fresh and delicious. I don’t know if I liked them more this year because I was no longer sick, because they were made fresh for me, or because Disney has brought back an earlier, richer recipe . . . but whatever it was, it was great.

It really meant the world to me that the chef took the time to prepare these special Zebra Domes. What a wonderful surprise!

Hubby had the regular Domes straight off the buffet line, and he loved them, too. He’s a dessert snob, and he said the ingredients tasted rich and fresh to him as well. Maybe better Domes are honestly better this year than last? Has anyone else noticed the difference?

Boma again next year, for sure -- probably more than once.

Thanks for a great review so far! I love hearing other GF reviews. It's so helpful when you are planning your next vacation!
I can't wait to read the rest. I'm really interested in your CS reviews.

Thanks again! :thumbsup2

Time out for a word about gluten-free breads at Disney

Most of the rolls, buns, etc. are Glutano or similar. The problem is, the chefs have no idea how to successfully prepare them. They either put them in a dedicated revolving toaster or in the oven, and the darn things come out like hockey pucks. Warning: You might break a tooth or shoot your eyes out . . . or whatever.

I found that if I asked the chef to please microwave the bread for 10-15 seconds instead of toasting or heating it in another way, the bread came out much, much better - actually edible. :)

Try it and let me know if you agree.

For more, see Kouzzina, below. They served a wonderful, gluten-free lavash!

Citricos (Grand Floridian Resort, two dining credits)

DH and I split a salad for openers: Goat Cheese Truffle Salad - Tomato, Cracked Pepper, and Sesame "Truffles" with Arugula, Frisee, Nueske Applewood Smoked Bacon, and Peaches

We weren't thrilled with this salad. Hubby liked it more than I did. The greens were dry and lacked flavor. I expected more. The goat cheese truffles were good, but anyone can roll goat cheese into a ball, and I wasn't impressed for the $9 price. I would not order the salad again.

Braised Veal Shank - Carrot-Potato Puree, Roasted Vegetables. This was the best entree we had at Disney. The veal shank was succulent, rich, and cooked to perfection. Marrow forks were included, thankfully, because we didn't want to miss a bite. The portion was large -- more than I could eat, but I ate it anyway!

It would be very easy for us to go to Citricos again and again (as we most definitely will) and order the veal shank over and over, without ever trying another entree. It's just that good, and the potatoes and veggies were equally perfect.

DH had warm chocolate banana tart for dessert, served with vanilla ice cream. He loved it.

I had crème brulee again . . . I believe it was mango this time -- I can't believe I'm already forgetting what I had where! Anyway, it was excellent.

They sat us next to a window and much to our surprise, we were able to see Wishes from our seats! It was totally unexpected and a wonderful surprise.

Service was great.

Citricos was definitely worth the extra dining credits.

LeCellier (Epcot, Canada)

We dined there twice and enjoyed it equally well both times.

Frankly, I wasn't sure what to expect. There's been so much hype about this restaurant, that I thought it might disappoint us. We're from the Chicago area and used to some great steaks here.

I am happy to report that Le Cellier was excellent!

The first time, I had the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon, - Served wild mushroom risotto and white truffle-herb butter sauce. As I recall, this dish is fine as is and did not need to be adjusted for gluten-free. I ordered rare and it was cooked perfectly. The steak was tender and very flavorful. The risotto was perfect with the meat.

Hubby had cheddar cheese soup the first time. He said it was okay but not a huge wow to him. He enjoyed the bread sticks. I had the usual Glutano roll substitute.

The first time, he ordered a Kansas City strip steak with coffee rub. He ordered rare, and it was cooked perfectly. He liked it, but after tasting my filet, he vowed to order the filet the next time around, which he did, and loved it. He is not a filet person. He thinks that filet mignon lack flavor, so he usually wants a larger steak with more “bite” to it. He thought the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon was amazing, though, and expects to order it again the next time.

I had the filet again the second time. Why mess with the best?

Desserts:

First time: Hubby had chocolate-on-chocolate whiskey cake and liked it. Second time he had a Le Cellier Mont Blanc Semifreddo with chilled fruit soup and enjoyed it much more than he expected he would. The waiter recommended it, so he decided to take a chance. He said he’d get it again.

First time, I had the maple crème brulee. It was very good, but I was getting a bit crème brulee’d out, so the second time I had chocolate mousse.

The chef made the mousse special, without any gluten – it took quite a while, so I would guess there was more to the preparation than just putting the mousse on a plate and leaving off the cookie “ears” that normally come with the mousse (it is in the shape of a moose head). The waiter called mine a naked mousse! It was excellent – very rich, and I do believe my mousse was a bit larger than the normal serving – oh, so much food!

I am off to attend my first gluten-intolorance support group meeting tonight, and back to work tomorrow. Keep watching this board for most posts . . . I will keep posting as I have time.

In the meantime, there's a line from the movie Julie and Julia that I love. Julia Child turns to her husband and proclaims her love of eating, and adds "I'm growing before you, even as we speak!"

That's about how I felt after a week of Disney dining! Wow -- more gluten free options than I ever imagined possible.

Stay tuned for more . . .

Kouzzina by Cat Cora (Boardwalk)

My husband loved his meal. He had the slow-cooked Lamb Shank served with Oven-baked Gigantes Beans and Pepper Sauce. Dessert: Chocolate Budino Cake – warm molten chocolate with whipped sweet cream.

What I REALLY wanted was the Crisp Calamari and Lemon appetizer - Coated in Aborio Rice Flour with Spicy Yogurt and Garlic Yogurt. The calamari is why I booked this restaurant. Since the calamari is coated in rice flour, I had high expectations of being able to have it. However, the chef carefully explained that the "rice flour" is actually a mixture of flours -- not just rice, so it is not safe. I was so disappointed, but I was grateful for the chef's knowledge and understanding.

We split an appetizer of Kouzzina Spreads - Harissa Yogurt, Kalamata Fig, Chickpea Hummus. For my husband, they brought grilled Pita Brick oven Bread, Caramelized Onions, Olives and Roasted Sweet Peppers. For me, they brought a Glutano style roll and also sheets of a large, spicy gluten-free lavash crackers which was a nice change from the rolls. The lavash was crisp and fresh, and I enjoyed it. The spreads were good. (I still wanted that calamari, though!)

I ordered the traditional Whole Fish, pan-roasted red snapper with Braised Greens, Greek Olives, Fennel, and Smoked Chili. I've read great reviews of the whole fish, but I did not care for it – the taste was bland and the fish was overcooked to the point of being a bit mushy. I did not care for the vegetables, either. They were prepared correctly and not overcooked, but the taste and texture did nothing for me.

I do not know if the fish was disappointing due to the chef making it gluten-free (I didn't taste any smoked chili) or if it just wasn’t that great of a dish that night. I normally enjoy whole fish when prepared properly. Here was another time I wished there had been salt on the table -- and I seldom salt fish. REALLY bland.

For dessert, I had cheesecake with walnut crust (reminded me of Passover pie crust which, by the way, is quite good. If you're looking for a flour-free crust and can eat nuts, check out Passover cookbooks for some great ideas). The Kouzzina cheesecake wasn't the best cheesecake I've had (I am a cheesecake snob), but it was good.

Kouzzina is still in the soft opening stage and is getting mixed reviews. I’d be willing to give it another shot next year, and I’ll be eagerly watching the boards for more posts. I hope someone who eats gluten-free will post a review here, especially if they have something other than the whole fish.

'Ohana (Polynesian Resort)

Chef TJ was outstanding! He has a great knowledge of gluten-free needs and is well-known for going out of his way to create special gluten-free meals. My meal was as wonderful as I hoped it would be.\

For those who are new to ‘Ohana, it is all-you-can eat meat on a skewer with pot stickers, chicken wings, noodles, salad and broccoli. My husband enjoyed it. Here was his menu:

'Ohana Welcome Bread
Mixed greens with a honey-lime dressing

Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings
Pork Dumplings with Sweet and Sour Sauce
Mesquite Grilled Turkey
Asian BBQ Pork Loin
Marinated Sirloin Steak
Spicy Grilled Peel n Eat Shrimp
The meats came with Peanut, Spicy Mustard, and Sweet n Sour Sauces
Lo mein Noodles, tossed in a Teriyaki sauce with fresh vegetables
Stir-fried Vegetables
'Ohana bread pudding served a la mode with Bananas and Caramel Sauce

Okay, that was his -- the same as everyone else's.

My meal was custom made, and as much as my husband enjoyed his meal, I enjoyed MINE EVEN MORE!

Here’s mine:

Bread: You guessed it: Glutano style roll. But it was uphill after that . . .

Chef TJ explained to me that I could eat the salad and broccoli as served – both were excellent.

Then he brought an appetizer he made specially – wonderfully seasoned chicken drumettes arranged in a rich, wonderful mashed potato base with . . . and this is going to sound really crazy . . . a garnish of, of all things, Cheetos! Weird as it may sound, the combo was actually very, very tasty. And fun. The portion was huge and could have easily been my meal. The chicken was juicy and very flavorful.

Next came some of each meat banked against a hill . . . no, it was more like a mountain . . . of fried crisp rice noodles. This was sooooo good! The meat was okay, it is basic bites of meat on a stick, but with the noodles, it made it great.

Chef TJ had asked me if I wanted to sample each of the meats and I said yes. Next time, I will ask for just the shrimp. The chicken drumettes were so good, they easily satisfied my meat craving, so shrimp along with the noodles would have been more than enough as a main course. (Note: while normally they do not allow doggie bags at ‘Ohana, Chef TJ kindly allowed me to take my extra meat home . . . I had a ton of meat left over.)

Dessert: A gluten free brownie layered with banana and pineapple, drizzled with chocolate sauce and served with vanilla ice-cream. Very simple, very easy, and very tasty. It came served on a long, tall skewer. People at the tables around me were asking what it was. One little girl shouted, I WANT THAT!

The best was Chef TJ. He has served countless gluten-free guests, yet the excitement in his eyes as he served me made me feel as though I was the first he’d ever catered to. He takes such joy in his work and in making people happy – a wonderful, very special man. We just loved him!

So, when at Disney, be sure to enjoy Chef TJ for a loving, fun, gluten-free experience.

Off to bed. More tomorrow . . .

Thanks for a great review! We head to Disney for the great GF food and ease of dining out! It is always great to get more information.

Great reviews! I'm so excited about the O'hana review. I've heard such fantastic things about it and chef TJ. Everything sounded so tasty!
Keep those reviews coming! :yay:

:yay::banana::cheer2: Me too, me too!!!! Also very excited about O'Hana now! Thanks for all the great info! :woohoo:

I'm loving this review. I can't wait to read more. You know, I've got all my ADRs for my upcoming trip but this particular review of O'Hana makes me second guess myself. Well, I guess changing would mean giving up something I already have so maybe not. I guess I'll just have to take yet another trip in the future so I can try it. LOL

Waiting with baited breath for the CS reviews. I'll likely be eating at 2 of the 4 CS locations that you ate at so I'd love to hear what you have to say. You include so much detail which I love.

Thank you for writing this up and in so much detail!!

I'm loving this review. I can't wait to read more. You know, I've got all my ADRs for my upcoming trip but this particular review of O'Hana makes me second guess myself. Well, I guess changing would mean giving up something I already have so maybe not. I guess I'll just have to take yet another trip in the future so I can try it. LOL

Waiting with baited breath for the CS reviews. I'll likely be eating at 2 of the 4 CS locations that you ate at so I'd love to hear what you have to say. You include so much detail which I love.

Thank you for writing this up and in so much detail!!

Be sure to ask if Chef TJ will be there and then be sure to tell him how many wonderful things you have heard about him. I did this and he lit up like a Christmas tree! It was so much fun!!!!

Sunshine Seasons (Epcot Future World, The Land Pavilion)

In my opinion, Sunshine Seasons is the very best counter service restaurant in WDW -- it is so good it often equals table service taste. The seating area isn't as lovely as sit-down restaurants, but oh boy, the taste sure is!

A chef came out promptly to walk me through everything. Basically, everything on the grill end is fine for gluten-free: pork, chicken, salmon, etc. The mashed potatoes are fine, too, and they are excellent.

I had the chicken with mashed potatoes and -- because it was also gluten-free -- rice. Dessert was creme brulee (yet another one!). Everything was fresh and delicious. The creme brulee at Sunshine Seasons was the best of all the creme brulee I had while at Disney.

Note: If you want something else, let the chef know! They are very open there to helping you with what you want, within reason of course. They have gluten-free rolls for hamburgers, etc., and as I remember, some salad options are also gluten-free.

I want to try the salmon next time . . . and the pork looked amazing, too.

Hubby had the same as me and loved it.

I love food so much. It's all about the food for me! The parks are second. :thumbsup2 Eat on!

Flame Tree BBQ (Animal Kingdom Park, Discovery Island)

Flame Tree was a great meal. I had the BBQ chicken, which was even better than at Sunshine Seasons -- good taste and even jucier than Sunshine Seasons. I would have ranked it the best, except the crew there didn't really know if the baked beans or coleslaw were gluten free, so I avoided eating them.

For dessert I had a gluten-free brownie which I enjoyed -- French Meadow Bakery which is lactose free, gluten free and peanut free. The facility that processes them also processes coconut and soy, so be careful if you have issues with these. These brownies are really good!

The ribs are also gluten-free, and they can make a pulled pork sandwich on a gluten-free bun, if you like. ASK THEM TO MICROWAVE THE BUN FOR 10 TO 15 SECONDS or they might ruin it (see my earlier post).

Hubby asked if I wanted to taste the ribs, but I already had enough on my plate. He is picky when it comes to ribs, and he said he liked them, but they were a bit fatty for his taste. Still, they were better than he expected them to be. In his words, "Not a Chicago rib joint, but good."

Hey, for counter service, it was amazing!

Hubby had key lime pie for dessert and liked it.

Here is a hint: If you know you are definitely going to be dining at a counter service restaurant, call the Disney Food Alergy Line in advance to check out things like beans and cole slaw: 407-824-5967. Do not expect the cast members at a counter service restaurant to have the same knowledge as the chefs at a table service restaurant.

The folks at the alergy line usually do not answer right away, and voice mail kicks in, but they will call you back as quickly as they can. If possible, allow at least 24 hours.

Also be sure to call this number before you go to let them know where you will be dining and your alergy needs.

Disney sent me a wonderful list of gluten-free options in advance of my visiting there. The only problem was that I decided not to carry a purse, and I did not have room for all of the info in my pocket, so sometimes I forgot what I could and could not have at some places, hence the beans and cole slaw thing.

Hope this helps!

Off to bed once again. More later.

Thank you to everyone who has posted such kind remarks here. You're making my days! I am so happy to be, maybe, of a little help. Sending gluten-free hugs to all!

Love,
Copper

Enjoying your reviews so far! :)

As for the CS questions, did you not ask to speak to the manager and see the binder? Each CS location should have a binder that lists all ingredients in each menu item so you could tell if it was safe or not. Most often at the counter I would just say the magic word "allergies" and immediately a manger and the binder appeared before me!

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!

Enjoying your reviews so far! :)

As for the CS questions, did you not ask to speak to the manager and see the binder? Each CS location should have a binder that lists all ingredients in each menu item so you could tell if it was safe or not. Most often at the counter I would just say the magic word "allergies" and immediately a manger and the binder appeared before me!

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!

That's a REALLY good question, and no, I was not shown a binder until much later in the trip, at the Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, MK. Until then, the manager would just tell me what I could or could not have. And I, too, said the magic word "allergies" each time. Very interesting . . .

In fact, when I was finally shown the binder, it took the cast member a couple tries to get it right -- she brought me the CM rules and regulations book first! I would have loved to have read it, but I did not. I pointed out the mistake and then she grabbed the right book. She'd never referenced it before then!

And I must confess, after this happened, I thought the binder was unique to the parlor. I assumed that if every counter service restaurant had one, they would have shown it to me.

In the Disney allergy literature I was sent, the binder may have been mentioned, but for the life of me, I do not remember seeing it. I'll have to take a second look when I have time.

Thank you for asking -- great question -- one that's sure to help others as much as it enlightened me.

The Mara (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo side)

The Mara was an interesting mix of service. There is an Asian female chef who works some of the morning and early afternoon shifts (I am so sorry . . . I wrote down names and have misplaced them - if anyone knows please post!). She is knowledgeable and very careful to prepare everything separately.

At other times, I had different chefs. One did not understand that he should not serve my eggs from the main serving station, where they use the spoon to put eggs on everything from a bare plate to a croissant breakfast sandwich, which of course is cross-contamination. I had to stop him. One of the Cast Members working the line pulled him aside to explain how important it was to serve my food from the back, which he then did and all was well.

So, be careful and watch closely at all times!

The food was very good -- the gluten-free pancakes and gluten-free Mickey waffles here are excellent.

I also had the half-chicken chicken with dedicated-fryer French fries and then, for lunch one day, the Mara Salad - a light vinaigrette dressing on a salad that has chic peas, lentils, and cheese (feta, I believe). Very good!

One night, I ordered a hamburger. The chef (the wonderful Asian lady who I loved) said they were out of gluten-free burger buns and offered to make me "sliders" on individual mini gluten-free dinner rolls. She used fresh hamburger and cooked the burgers on the med-rare side, as much as she safely could, per my request. They were wonderful.

Another night, I had the gluten-free pizza. I believe they use Amy's. It was fair. To make it better, I put some parm. cheese on top (available in individual packets at the condiment table) and hot pepper flakes.

Okay, so here's a good one:

When I ordered the pizza, the chef asked me, "What would you like with that?"

I answered him, "I don't know. I am on the dining plan and using this as a counter service meal. Does anything come with it in addition to dessert?"

The chef said, "You can have fries if you want."

I said, "Sure," although goodness knows I didn't need them! And truth be told, as I look back, I don't think pizza selections come with a side dish, but I trusted the chef's word.

The pizza was quite large and I wasn't able to finish even half of it. Fries really put it over the top, but when I was offered them, I did not know how large the serving would be, and I figured what the heck, if it comes with it, why not? Maybe hubby would want some of it?

I added a gluten-free brownie for dessert (more on these below) and headed to the check-out station.

The cashier asked me, "What do you want to count as a snack, the fries or the brownie?"

I said, "I was told the fries would come with the gluten-free pizza as part of my counter service dinner."

She was very rude. She looked at everyone else in the line behind me and rolled her eyes, then she looked at me and shook her head as if to imply, "You idiot!"

I said, "Please speak to the chef. He can verify."

She said, "Well, where's the chef?"

That comment really took me back. I said, "I don't know, he's back in the kitchen somewhere."

Then she shot the same look to everyone behind me again, and they looked at me as if I were crazy, too. She rang up my ticket and grudgingly gave it to me, not charging me for a snack.

I found this whole thing terribly embarrassing, and I really felt guilty for having taken the fries. Bad, bad gluten-free guest! :mad: Shame on you, you naughty thing, you! :guilty:

I wondered: How would Donald Duck have reacted to this woman and this situation?

That made me laugh and helped me get over it.

That said, last year and this year, every single CM who serviced me at The Mara (aside from her) has been delightful. This woman was the exception, not the rule. Watch for her -- she's, I would guess, in her 60's with light brown curly hair below the ears. She's been there for a while. I remember her from last year, and while I did not have a problem with her then, she wasn't all that particularly nice last year, either.

Okay, so there's more . . .

On one of my trips to The Mara, one of the chefs pointed out a special dietary section that houses desserts. It is located next to the check-out area, between the refrigerated section and the first check-out. It is a woven shelf unit. On the bottom are gluten-free brownies. On the upper shelves are jelly beans, caramel corn and chocolate chip cookies.

I was given the impression that all of the snacks in this section were gluten free, but they are not. This is a section for people with various needs, not just gluten-free. READ THE INGREDIENTS CAREFULLY. The only items that are honestly safe are the gluten-free brownies. (I enjoyed them.) The other items state that wheat may be present in the manufacturing, and the cookies have wheat as the first ingredient.

That's tonight's post! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter