Gluten Free Dining Plan Reviews

I'm excited for a fresh burger at The Mara! I'm heading down next Monday and can't wait!

For me, it was a surprise -- I didn't expect fresh hamburger. Just to be safe, I'd ask for it and not assume that whichever chef is there at the time will do it automatically. If you ask for it, you'll most probably get it.

For CS locations Brenda from the special diets department (sorry cannot remember title) as told us to ask for the manager not the chefs. It is possible that they just have cooks that do the standard and not an actual chef there at all times.

Glad to hear Mara has GF french fries. Since we stay DVC if we are at AKV I usually just fix her something in the room. Since many places at home she cannot get fries that would be a treat for her.

Denise in MI

P.S.

Don't expect fresh waffles at Crystal Palace. That was the only place to serve DD frozen waffles. Everywhere else she was happy to get Mickey like everyone else.

Excellent point about asking for the manager!

At resorts, ask for a chef. At park CS locations, I just start off by saying we have food allergies and they automatically know to get a manager.

I've heard that CRT also serves the Van's frozen waffles.

Great thread! Thank you for giving us so much info.

Are none of the ice creams at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor safe?

I need to find out soon if the ribs at Yak & Yeti are safe.

Well I just spoke with someone at Yak & Yeti and he said basically everything there has gluten in it. But they do have gluten-free soy sauce they can use to make safe foods for us. The ribs are made ahead of time and aren't safe. :sad1: That face isn't crying anywhere near enough for me.

Great thread! Thank you for giving us so much info.

Are none of the ice creams at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor safe?

I need to find out soon if the ribs at Yak & Yeti are safe.

We get a snack at the Plaze Ice Cream Parlor every trip. The manager comes out to speak with us and prepares our dishes herself. We do much better with Tofutti than Rice Dream. I don't trust Rice Dream personally, but anyway, there's something in it that doesn't sit well for us. They carry chocolate and vanilla of each of them.

Last time I checked, Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom has gluten free ribs, but you have to get them without the sauce. I didn't check to see if Flame Tree BBQ still has safe ribs though since the only meal we'll eat there this year is at Tusker House. This was as of February. Check with Brenda to find out. The ribs probably have some kind of seasoning rub so they wouldn't be totally plain, just no sauce.

If you're really wanting ribs, I got confirmation from a chef at Hoop Dee Doo Review that he can make safe ribs. They'll have a rub but no sauce. IMO the rub is the important part for the flavour anyway and my daughter doesn't like sauce but she loves ribs so this works well for us anyway. I've heard the same is true for Spirit of Aloha (I hope so; I've got this ADR as well).

Thank you!

Is there any regular ice cream you can eat? I'm very new to this and still learning. I know the Mickey Bars are safe.

Thank you!

Is there any regular ice cream you can eat? I'm very new to this and still learning. I know the Mickey Bars are safe.

We're also dairy free so we can't have any brand of regular ice cream. My kids do fine with Tofutti as they can both eat soy safely. For some reason Rice Dream bothers them. DD11 is off gluten, dairy, eggs, yeast, citrus and MSG. DD9 is off dairy, citrus, sesame, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, peanuts, cranberries and blueberries as well as any raw fruits that have skins but haven't been peeled and raw carrots. I think DD9 just doesn't like the taste of Rice Dream but it upsets DD11's tummy. Other people with celiac have told me that they're fine with RD so I don't think it's a gluten issue though it could just be a level of sensitivity issue. DD11 seems to react to even 20 ppm while some celiacs can handle as much as 200 ppm.

ETA: According to the latest gluten free list (I received it on 10/6), Dole Whips are gluten free and Plaze Ice Cream Parlor does carry gluten free ice cream. The manager will open a new container for scooping your ice cream so you won't need to worry about cross contamination.

We're also dairy free so we can't have any brand of regular ice cream. My kids do fine with Tofutti as they can both eat soy safely. For some reason Rice Dream bothers them. DD11 is off gluten, dairy, eggs, yeast, citrus and MSG. DD9 is off dairy, citrus, sesame, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, peanuts, cranberries and blueberries as well as any raw fruits that have skins but haven't been peeled and raw carrots. I think DD9 just doesn't like the taste of Rice Dream but it upsets DD11's tummy. Other people with celiac have told me that they're fine with RD so I don't think it's a gluten issue though it could just be a level of sensitivity issue. DD11 seems to react to even 20 ppm while some celiacs can handle as much as 200 ppm.

ETA: According to the latest gluten free list (I received it on 10/6), Dole Whips are gluten free and Plaze Ice Cream Parlor does carry gluten free ice cream. The manager will open a new container for scooping your ice cream so you won't need to worry about cross contamination.

Whew! Thanks because I love my ice cream. I don't eat it often but I'd hate to have to give it up for ever too.

Goodness I feel for your children. I thought I had some food allergies. Gee. I've never run across anyone else who couldn't have citrus. Most people think I'm nuts when I tell them I can't have it. I have a strange reaction to it though, it messes with my kidneys and bladder. :rolleyes: I'm a freak.

Sorry to go off topic here but how is your luck in finding bread at home that is both gluten-free and egg-free that tastes decent? We noticed most of the breads and baked goods that were gluten-free had eggs in them. I'm severely allergic to eggs so most of the gluten-free bakery items were out for me. I told my husband I guess we were going to have to get into baking. Is that what you do?

Thank you for being so helpful!

Whew! Thanks because I love my ice cream. I don't eat it often but I'd hate to have to give it up for ever too.

Goodness I feel for your children. I thought I had some food allergies. Gee. I've never run across anyone else who couldn't have citrus. Most people think I'm nuts when I tell them I can't have it. I have a strange reaction to it though, it messes with my kidneys and bladder. :rolleyes: I'm a freak.

Sorry to go off topic here but how is your luck in finding bread at home that is both gluten-free and egg-free that tastes decent? We noticed most of the breads and baked goods that were gluten-free had eggs in them. I'm severely allergic to eggs so most of the gluten-free bakery items were out for me. I told my husband I guess we were going to have to get into baking. Is that what you do?

Thank you for being so helpful!

For DD11, she gets immediate GI problems from citrus. For DD9, she has what her urologist calls allergic cystitis because she has VERY consistant triggers of citrus and cranberries and clear inflamatory issues with her bladder but he agrees it could be interstitial cystitis but he doesn't want to put her through the tests required for an IC diagnosis since we can for the most part manage it by eliminating citrus and cranberry. They're not actual allergies or intollerances; they're triggers for her bladder problems. These are THE most common triggers for IC so that's why I think it's IC (she has some weird test results that are common in IC in addition to this) but I do agree that there's no need to put her through horribly invasive and painful tests to confirm when we pretty much have it under control through diet. Google Interstitial Cystitis and you'll find that you're not alone in citrus being a bladder irritant. You're in no way a freak (unless my kids are freaks and I don't think they are). You just haven't found the right support community.

Bread is VERY hard. DD11 was only diagnosed as egg intollerant a few months ago. Before that, we were using the Kinnikinnick yeast free bread. Now, the only one I've found is the Ener-G yeast free and it's pretty bad. I make her sandwiches by toasting it first. I think yeast is more difficult than eggs because only a few companies make yeast free breads. She's not thrilled with it but she'll eat it and prefers it over lettuce wraps or rice cakes. I've heard that Breads From Anna bread tastes pretty good made with a flax mixture. Next time I'm at Whole Foods I plan to pick one up. Kinnikinnick breads were really good but the yeast free ones have eggs. You should take a look at their website and see if they have egg free breads. Everything of theirs that we've tried has been tasty. I'm a pretty good baker but bread is one of the few things I've been unsuccessful with. For other baked goods, I just use apple sauce instead of eggs. It makes a great substitute in most baked goods.

ETA: Van's gluten free waffles are egg free. We also just recently found their new french toast sticks which I couldn't believe are also yeast free. Woo Hoo!!! Some people use these types of things or even pancakes instead of bread for sandwiches. Apple sauce works well as a substitute in pancake recipes.

Thanks for all of your support and info! I just had their waffles for breakfast. They aren't bad. But I need to see if anyone in my area sells them.

i miss disney.... now i going to restaraunts with waiters who say "all the pastas are okay" stupid applebees i never got sick onece in disney! anyway here goes...

garden grill- rotesserie chicken and mashed potatoes with a brownie. all okay! and they were the best mashed potatoes ever!
rose and crown- fish and chips with a brownie sundae
planet hollywood- cobb salad with banana split creme brulee
50s prime time cafe- my first ever fried chicken!!!! sooo good and a brownie sundae
cape may buffet- seafood yummm and ice cream and cake for dessert
capn jacks- pasta! with shrimp and scallops
a turkey leg one night! sooo good
crystal palace- i dont remember but i do remember i got a cake!

anyway disney is the most amazing with the gluten free! i would recommend al of these to everyone with celiac! especially prim time!

Thanks for all of your support and info! I just had their waffles for breakfast. They aren't bad. But I need to see if anyone in my area sells them.

They use Bob's Red Mill mix. That being said, when I make them at home they don't taste like at WDW. I recently was told by the chef at POFQ that he always uses apple juice instead of milk and apple sauce instead of eggs in the allergy mix so maybe that's why they taste different. Of course maybe it's just that they're Mickey shaped and the fact that somebody else is making them.

Yes, they seem to use a lot of Bob's Red Mill mixes. If you want something decadent that's GF/CF and egg free, I have the recipe from the Crystal Palace for their brownie cake. OMG it is amazing! It's super chocolatey and rich and so yummy with a chocolate sauce and some dairy free ice cream (I recommend some coconut ice cream, it has the same texture as regular ice cream). I have the recipe posted at my blog http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/
or you can PM me and I'll be happy to share! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for all your reviews! I'll definitely be going to Mara for breakfast to get me some pancakes or waffles! :yay:
We are vegan and can't have gluten, soy or chocolate. I'm REALLY wanting some good white cake with white icing. (We're celebrating my birthday there) Any suggestions??

Yes, they seem to use a lot of Bob's Red Mill mixes. If you want something decadent that's GF/CF and egg free, I have the recipe from the Crystal Palace for their brownie cake. OMG it is amazing! It's super chocolatey and rich and so yummy with a chocolate sauce and some dairy free ice cream :thumbsup2

I TOTALLY AGREE on the brownie at CP
it is so awesomely wonderful! I tell then 1/2 serving with no topping as my sugar would go sky high eating that... but it's so worth just a couple bites! :goodvibes

Thank you so much for all your reviews! I'll definitely be going to Mara for breakfast to get me some pancakes or waffles! :yay:
We are vegan and can't have gluten, soy or chocolate. I'm REALLY wanting some good white cake with white icing. (We're celebrating my birthday there) Any suggestions??

You can custom order gluten-free birthday cakes for room delivery at the resorts. I have never tried it, but I hear it's good!

If you're not staying at a resort, I would guess they could custom deliver it to a table service restaurant, maybe?

Let us know!

I have ordered several GF birthday cakes at WDW (Chef Mickey's, Boma, Liberty Tree Tavers, All Star Music, Whispering Canyon). Most were yummy and beautiful...one was pretty but not so yummy at all! All of them were definitely GF though. To get them I called the cake hotline and was put in touch with someone at the appropriate location (resort or restaurant). They usually had the head chef call me back with all of the options available. A few years ago I was able to get a cake with chip and dale on it, printed up on rice paper - it was adorable! The last time (February 2009) they told me they would not put any special decorations on top...just happy birthday. I am hoping that changes back and they will put a little extra effort into it.

I have had the cakes delivered to a resort too...I just picked it up at the Food Court to enjoy at our room.

I wonder if a gluten-free & egg-free cake would be any good. We had an egg-free cake last year and it just didn't taste very well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter