Good gas mileage car for family of 5?

kellia

DIS Veteran
We are looking into downsizing from our mini-van for something better on gas since we have to drive so far to work. Problem is, we have 3 kids, 13, 5 and 5, so 2 of those are in car seats. Most of the time it will be me and the kids, but any suggestion on a newer used car that all 3 kids could fit in the back seat of if all of us were in it?

TIA!

I love my HHR. It has a digital information center and my gas millage reading is 29 miles to the gallon in the city and 32 on the highway.
It has the ability to haul stuff too.

You could rent one for the weekend from Avis to see how you like it.

We live in Ohio and get our fair share of snow and it does GREAT in the snow. I especially like the remote start for those nasty winter months.

I paid $15k for my car back in 2006.
Oh in Aug is when change over happens and the dealerships will be eager to get rid of the 2008 to make room for the 2009.

We just downsized a few weeks ago and got rid of our Honda Odyssey and bought a 2008 Honda Accord EX. It is a pretty large sized car and has a LOT of leg room. Now, three adults in the back, I wouldn't think would be comfy for a long term trip. But three kids is definitely doable. My only thing would be for the carseats...all three seats have the 3-point seat belts but it's slightly narrow. Our daughter who is 6 is able to buckle herself w/ no problem. One adjustment is the doors....she was used to automatic doors, so we are openig the doors for her (unless there are no cars parked next to her) til she gets a little stronger. It would be worth it to just try it and see what you think. We got a great deal for ours, just a few hundred bucks over invoice cost which is great for a Honda.....it will hold its value a lot more than some of the other cars out there.

The gas is EXCELLENT. I just went almost 2 weeks w/o a fill up and w/ the van I had to fill up once a week. It gets 21 city/31 highway, however, I averaged mid 20's in the city w/ LOTS of stop & go. I can only imagine the mileage on the highway. Can't wait to take it on its first road trip! It's very surprising to me that a car this size can get such great mileage....it is a 4-cylinder (190 HP) but to me feels very quick.

I get 26 city/34 highway on Volvo 2004 v70 Turbo. Good
prices since it's time for new model delivery.

We just bought a Satrun Vue a few weeks ago. I love it and it egts great milage (compared to my old minivan). We have 2 car seats in the back and sometimes our 15 year old. He says it's comfy.

We can fit 3 (in carseats) in the back of our Cavalier... If I would have known #3 was on the way we would have gotten the Malibu instead. I'd look into those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter