Goofy 2015

Me too!!! I had been on the fence telling myself I didn't do it...and finally got talked into signing up because it hadn't sold out...that was weeks ago! I know I would have caved and signed up by now anyways so at least I've had more time to plan this way haha
And at least it didn't cost you $400!

Soooo...what are the chances that someone in moderate shape, but with not a lot of running experience (a few miles a couple of times a week on a treadmill) could train for the Goofy at this point and actually complete it? What happens if you can only complete the half?

Soooo...what are the chances that someone in moderate shape, but with not a lot of running experience (a few miles a couple of times a week on a treadmill) could train for the Goofy at this point and actually complete it? What happens if you can only complete the half?

My opinion is that is a very tall order. Until you have trained for and ran a marathon you do not know what kind of toll it takes mentally and physically. Then to try adding 13.1 the day before and that takes a whole lot more training.

Disney was my first marathon this year, and that was only after running 5 half marathons. I decided to go for Goofy this year to take it a step further. Even though my official training plan does not start until September, I have unofficially been working on things since March.

In terms of the runDisney training plan, the Goofy training plan started back on July 1st and has worked up to 11 miles for the long run weekends. Another training plan popular for Goofy is the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 and starts the longer of the back-to-back runs at 10 miles on September 14th (working back 18 weeks from Jan 11, 2015 marathon date).

Honestly, while it might be possible, I also think that jumping into the training off only a few miles a couple times a week may set you up for injuring yourself in training. But depending on what speed you train those few miles, the 16:00/mi pace provides a lot of latitude for extended walk breaks to help keep from over extending yourself.

If you can only complete the half, you still receive three shirts (half/Donald, full/Mickey, Goofy) but would only receive the Donald medal at the completion of that race. If you start the full and are unable to complete it, you're still likely to receive the Mickey medal but not the Goofy. If you think you may only complete the half but the experience of that race and at least trying the full is worth $400 or whatever it is now, go for it and listen to your body if it can't endure the full the day after.

Separately but somewhat related, if you do go for this or any other race, I'd recommend getting some miles outside off of the treadmill. Besides calibration issues that sometimes overestimate your distance or speed, it's a different feel out on the road and it might be good to know how that feels rather than be surprised come race morning.

Good luck whatever you decide to do! :thumbsup2

My opinion is that is a very tall order. Until you have trained for and ran a marathon you do not know what kind of toll it takes mentally and physically. Then to try adding 13.1 the day before and that takes a whole lot more training.

Disney was my first marathon this year, and that was only after running 5 half marathons. I decided to go for Goofy this year to take it a step further. Even though my official training plan does not start until September, I have unofficially been working on things since March.

I agree with Nole95 - it would be very difficult. Also agree that the mental part is really tough. I know there are people that have run their first marathon as part of Goofy, but I think starting to really train for it in late August would be pretty dicey.

If you sign up for Goofy and complete the half only, you only get the half medal...so if you signed up now and did the half and not the marathon, you'd essentially be paying $400 to run the half.

If you start the marathon and then get swept or cannot complete it you'd get the marathon medal as well...see the current "swept - wear medal?" thread for thoughts on this. You only get the Goofy medal if you do both races, as far as I know (and rightfully so).

My suggestion - if you're interested in doing the half alone, look for charity bibs or bibs through travel agencies on runDisney.com. :)

ETA: Also agree a with a lot of what Castle2Castle said...especially about the potential for injury.

I do agree with the PPs, however, I have seen some pretty tall orders achieved in the past, so anything is possible! I think I remember seeing people on here talk about doing Dopey last year that weren't really runners and trained by mostly walking.

Any particular reason you suddenly want to give this a shot? Is it because it's the only race still open, or do you really want that 10th anniversary Goofy medal? I can't really blame you for this! ;) If the medal isn't important, then maybe try in 2016.

If you really want to give this a shot, then I would recommend finding a plan and starting this weekend. See how you feel as the training progresses, and then make a decision on registering when Goofy gets closer to full. At the rate it is going, you may have a long time!

Edit: I forgot to add that you will probably not get a full training plan in before January. However, you should be able to get up to the half (13.1) distance at the least. Completing a full on top of that will be a real challenge, but people have done it!

If you really want to give this a shot, then I would recommend finding a plan and starting this weekend. See how you feel as the training progresses, and then make a decision on registering when Goofy gets closer to full. At the rate it is going, you may have a long time!

Good point here about having time to register at this point, as it may not sell out at all between the remaining capacity and the training time for those interested dropping each day.

With respect to starting a training plan, take a look at the Galloway and Higdon plans I linked to on the previous page. You can see a pattern in how they both bump up the mileage every other week or so, with 'step-back' mileage in between for recovery. Rather than try to make all the mileage you're behind in a week or two - and thereby increasing risk of injury - I'd suggest tinkering with this approach if you are going to start training now; you can start with lower mileage now, but as you progress possibly add an extra mile walking here or there so you start to get a bit closer in smaller increments throughout the training program.

You only get the Goofy medal by finishing both races in the time allowed.I'm not someone who's into following training programs,I've done the full the last couple of years so I know I can finish a full by itself with no problems,but I'm not likely to be doing two long training runs back to back as I don't have the time.I am signed up for a 10K next week,the ToT 10 miler and 3 half marathons between next week and Goofy time,those races along with some sessions on the treadmill and a few other outside long runs and I think I'll be fine,even then I think my strategy is to take it easy,real easy for the half and just run my normal marathon on Sunday.I do the halves in 2:00-2:15 so even if it takes me 3 hours I'm still finishing in plenty of time to get my 3 medals.

Just ironed out/finished writing my Goofy plan. It's a little nerve-wrecking and daunting to see all those miles written out, especially once I get into the uncharted mileage past the half distance! It's also exciting to think how accomplished I feel once I get there, though!:cheer2:

I signed up late, just the other day, for my first Goofy. I did the Half in 2010 and the Disneyland Half in 2010 for a Coast to Coast.... and haven't run a Disney event since then. I'm excited. And have to start training better.

You only get the Goofy medal by finishing both races in the time allowed.I'm not someone who's into following training programs,I've done the full the last couple of years so I know I can finish a full by itself with no problems,but I'm not likely to be doing two long training runs back to back as I don't have the time.I am signed up for a 10K next week,the ToT 10 miler and 3 half marathons between next week and Goofy time,those races along with some sessions on the treadmill and a few other outside long runs and I think I'll be fine,even then I think my strategy is to take it easy,real easy for the half and just run my normal marathon on Sunday.I do the halves in 2:00-2:15 so even if it takes me 3 hours I'm still finishing in plenty of time to get my 3 medals.

Last year to get the dopey medal you needed got a bracelet everytime you successfully finished a race. You needed the appropriate bracelet to get the dopey medal. I am not sure if the bands were required for goofy. In prior years they were just giving out the goofy medal to people after they crossed the finished line. Maybe it was due to when I finished the full, but there was no verification that I completed the half before they gave me my goofy medals.

Last year to get the dopey medal you needed got a bracelet everytime you successfully finished a race. You needed the appropriate bracelet to get the dopey medal. I am not sure if the bands were required for goofy. In prior years they were just giving out the goofy medal to people after they crossed the finished line. Maybe it was due to when I finished the full, but there was no verification that I completed the half before they gave me my goofy medals.

This will be be my first time doing Goofy or Dopey,from everything I've read on these boards and the RunDisney website you can finish the races taking longer than the required time and get your race medal but to receive the challenge medals(Goofy and Dopey) you need to finish in less than the required time,3:30 for the half,7:00 for the full.Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.I remember seeing the bracelets in the Dopey runners last year,I'm going to assume Goofy runners also have to get the bracelet after a finishing the half so they can get their Goofy medals Sunday.

Reading last year's program, it sounds like both Goofy AND Dopey runners needed the wristbands. It wasn't like that in 2013 for Goofy, but they absolutely should verify that people finish the races are required for the challenges. :)

Reading last year's program, it sounds like both Goofy AND Dopey runners needed the wristbands. It wasn't like that in 2013 for Goofy, but they absolutely should verify that people finish the races are required for the challenges. :)

I think as challenges have gotten more popular they have started using the wristband system at all of them. They had the wristbands for the Glass Slipper Challenge last year and I think I read about them at Dumbo too.

I also think they are a good idea!

I think as challenges have gotten more popular they have started using the wristband system at all of them. They had the wristbands for the Glass Slipper Challenge last year and I think I read about them at Dumbo too.

I also think they are a good idea!

Yes, they had them for this years Dumbo.

They used wristbands for Goofy up until 2011, if memory serves me correctly. I think Goofy on Ice was the last one where we received a wristband, and in 2011 when they changed the course, they got rid of the bands too.

They used wristbands for Goofy up until 2011, if memory serves me correctly. I think Goofy on Ice was the last one where we received a wristband, and in 2011 when they changed the course, they got rid of the bands too.

I did it in 2012 and 2013 and there were no bands. In 2014 I did Dopey which had the bands.

I can see why they'd be going back to it.

So are you hoping for something closer to the chills of 2010 or the heat of 2013?

I did it in 2012 and 2013 and there were no bands. In 2014 I did Dopey which had the bands. I can see why they'd be going back to it. So are you hoping for something closer to the chills of 2010 or the heat of 2013?
Chills of 2010, no question. I get more than enough training in the heat as it is. I prefer to put that training to good use by racing in temps that make my level of effort dramatically lower.

I did it in 2012 and 2013 and there were no bands. In 2014 I did Dopey which had the bands.

I can see why they'd be going back to it.

So are you hoping for something closer to the chills of 2010 or the heat of 2013?

Give me cool weather anytime. I do not run well at all in the heat and humidity.

Last year I ran a half in Atlanta where the temperature at start time was 20 degrees. I was moving pretty fast that day and got a PR. I'd rather not be that cold while doing Goofy.

As the temps have finally dropped, I can already see my long runs times are much better than they were even a few weeks ago. I'll take a start time temperature in the upper 40s or low 50s and be good to go.

Chills of 2010, no question. I get more than enough training in the heat as it is. I prefer to put that training to good use by racing in temps that make my level of effort dramatically lower.

Give me cool weather anytime. I do not run well at all in the heat and humidity.

Last year I ran a half in Atlanta where the temperature at start time was 20 degrees. I was moving pretty fast that day and got a PR. I'd rather not be that cold while doing Goofy.

As the temps have finally dropped, I can already see my long runs times are much better than they were even a few weeks ago. I'll take a start time temperature in the upper 40s or low 50s and be good to go.

the cool weather preference is probably pretty common. My long runs always get much better when the temperature drops. It's no fun to go out for a long run and drink 40+ oz of fluid and still loose 3 or 4 pounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter