Goofy 2015

I agree.. cold weather is better for me to run in. 45 to 55 degrees is prefect. It wasn't the cold weather on the Disney 2010 1/2 marathon that bothered me.. it was the snow/sleet .. slip and twisted my ankle coming out of the castle that day.. ended the Goofy challenge for me.

I agree.. cold weather is better for me to run in. 45 to 55 degrees is prefect. It wasn't the cold weather on the Disney 2010 1/2 marathon that bothered me.. it was the snow/sleet .. slip and twisted my ankle coming out of the castle that day.. ended the Goofy challenge for me.

Thats horrible. Sorry to hear. I remember it being very slippery and cold. I'm good with cold, just not slippery.

I'm sorry to hear that. I would be devastated! This is my greatest fear with running in general. That I'm going to do something stupid (not that your incident was stupid by any means) and twist my ankle or worse.

Thanks... no devastated came the next morning when sitting in my Old Key West room hearing the start of the marathon with my grapefruit size ankle soaking in an ice buckle... The only race that I missed in 25 years of running.. One bit of advice is to get out early morning runs when it is dark.. something I was not use to running in the dark...

Thanks... no devastated came the next morning when sitting in my Old Key West room hearing the start of the marathon with my grapefruit size ankle soaking in an ice buckle... The only race that I missed in 25 years of running.. One bit of advice is to get out early morning runs when it is dark.. something I was not use to running in the dark...

That's good advice. I've been running in the dark during the week and it's definitely something to get used to. While I can see enough to not trip over things, I have learned that an artificial light does very little to highlight little bumps and dips in the road. I haven't had any ice to deal with yet, so that's not something I'm looking forward to!

I like the cut outs. Look better in person. I saw them while at the ToT run.

Uggghhh I hate getting sick. Two weeks ago for my 20 miler I wound up signing up for a half marathon. I got to the half about an hour early ran 7 miles at a pretty decent pace and then hopped into my corral and ran the half. I wound up tying my half PR. Then last weekend boom I got sick and wound up walking the last mile of my 14 miler. During the run I tweaked my right calf. I've been rolling it, wearing a compression sleeve and trying my ultra high drop calf recovery shoes and it's not getting better.

So tomorrow I've got one of my favorite Marathons. It's a local trail marathon. Now on top of doing it with a sinus infection and a messed up calf it sounds like some of the trails are pretty severely flooded. Tomorrow is going to be brutal. I'm just hoping I don't injure myself more before the NY marathon in 2 weeks...

I'm so behind and now I think my knee is messed up. Tried to do 15 today and I was feeling good. I was able to run for four miles straight before stopping to walk. DH was pacing me for 12 mpm and we were at 12:25 by mile 8. I stopped because the outside of my right knee felt stiff. Once I slowed to walk, it locked up. Forced myself to try and get another mile in but by 8.8 I was done. Had to take a shortcut and walk 3 miles to my car. I iced it and I'm trying to keep it bent. Took some Advil and it feels better but it's still tweaky. The stiffness and pain is right where the outside joint of the knee is. Any ideas of what it is and what I can do about it?

I'm so behind and now I think my knee is messed up. Tried to do 15 today and I was feeling good. I was able to run for four miles straight before stopping to walk. DH was pacing me for 12 mpm and we were at 12:25 by mile 8. I stopped because the outside of my right knee felt stiff. Once I slowed to walk, it locked up. Forced myself to try and get another mile in but by 8.8 I was done. Had to take a shortcut and walk 3 miles to my car. I iced it and I'm trying to keep it bent. Took some Advil and it feels better but it's still tweaky. The stiffness and pain is right where the outside joint of the knee is. Any ideas of what it is and what I can do about it?

Sounds like the IT band (Iliotibial Band), and that could present a long recovery. This is very painful. You might want to look it up.

The real cause seems to be tied to muscular imbalance in the legs/glutes. People who have permanently moved past this sort of problem have done so by doing exercises to strengthen all of their leg muscles, plus their glutes and core.

Good luck!:goodvibes

Sounds like the IT band (Iliotibial Band), and that could present a long recovery. This is very painful. You might want to look it up.

The real cause seems to be tied to muscular imbalance in the legs/glutes. People who have permanently moved past this sort of problem have done so by doing exercises to strengthen all of their leg muscles, plus their glutes and core.

Good luck!:goodvibes

I agree. Sounds very much like IT band problems. I fight this as well and it's not fun! I'm having a flair up right now after running a half-marathon one weekend and then a 23 mile training run the next. If you google IT band recovery, you'll get a lot of information on various stretches and treatments. I generally have success recovering by icing, anti-inflamatories and using a foam roller along the IT band. The other key ingredient of recovery is rest, which is the hardest thing to do when you are training. But, if you will take the time to get it healed up, you'll be much better off than if you try to push through it. Good luck on the recovery!

What's been mentioned so far is all good advice. I also find I get relief when I use a tight designed to support my IT Band. I've had good luck with CW-X tights and shorts. Coach Charles recommended them a couple years ago.

You may also want to see if there is a physical therapist near you that deals with athletes. I visited one and found out there were muscle imbalances. I have to do these side leg lifts on my foam roller and use the hip abductor and adductor (pushing out and squeezing together) machines. I also had an issue with one of my ankles being angled a couple of degrees. I have a special insert in one of my shoes now. All this is just to say, that your knee issues are likely unique to you, they can be caused by a lot of things. We can give you general information, but a PT will be able to isolate what's going on and give you specific tools to alleviate it.

I've had some IT Band issues as well, and they have been really deeply linked to hip imbalances for me. Foam rolling the IT band isn't helpful for me, rolling out my quads and hamstrings have had much better effect. Also, Active Isolated Stretching, (hopefully I've posted enough to attach the link) has been really helpful. It took a while, and a combination of massage and AIS to get me to the point where I'm nearly pain-free.

I found a massage therapist that does Active Release Therapy (ART) in conjunction with AIS and I have run a series of PRs from 10 miles to Half Marathon so far, and hopefully on the marathon this week. It was 45 minutes of pure torture at first, but the relase of deep knots in my psoas, glutes, and hip flexors on the left side means it's worth the time and pain.

The outside of the knee tends to be IT Band, but the stiffness makes me wonder if it isn't something else. Is there any swelling? Have you ever had a knee injury before? I would get things checked out by a sports doc or PT. I've completed more than half the races in my signature with an IT band/knee issue, so it's not a death knell for your races. ;) Strengthening the hips and focusing on my mechanics when I run were the keys for me. Hopefully you can be back out there running soon!

Goofy training is progressing.

I did 9 miles yesterday and 18 miles today. I had to stop a few miles during the 18 miler today to stretch some because the legs felt tight, but I got through it.

About 11 weeks out, I think I am progressing pretty good. Doing the speed/tempo runs on the treadmill has helped out a lot as I have seen my long run times gradually come down over the past few months.

Next week is the big back to back 10 and 20 milers.

Only 9 weeks to go. Everyone getting ready? I am not where I would have liked to be at this point in training but will be a great weekend no matter what :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

4 1/2 weeks to go. A little closer but still not where I would have really liked to be. It will still be a blast though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter