Googly eyes

If a glue which damages the statue was used, or the statue was climbed on in a way likely to cause real damage, I can see the reaction.

If the eyes were put on with tesa strips or sticky tack or very easy to wash off glue, and the statue was not in danger of toppling or being chipped, etc as it happened, then ithe authorities are totally overreacting.

I read it a little tongue in cheek when I saw the report this weekend. I think they are putting it out there so that this doesn’t become a trend where kids start messing with all the statues or trying to one up each other with more and more “decorations”.

Further reading---the eyes were quickly and easily removed and there was no damage. Total overreaction

I read it a little tongue in cheek when I saw the report this weekend. I think they are putting it out there so that this doesn’t become a trend where kids start messing with all the statues or trying to one up each other with more and more “decorations”.

Hmmmm----see, now I feel like had they just taken the eyes down and not mentioned it, it would not have gotten nearly as much attention as they have now caused by posting about it as if it is some big deal-----I think the reaction from the city almost begs for copy cats.

It's a crime. Have the criminals do a couple hundred hours of community service, bet that foolishness would stop.

Further reading---the eyes were quickly and easily removed and there was no damage. Total overreaction

Hmmmm----see, now I feel like had they just taken the eyes down and not mentioned it, it would not have gotten nearly as much attention as they have now caused by posting about it as if it is some big deal-----I think the reaction from the city almost begs for copy cats.

This article didn’t talk about it, but the one I saw said that bystanders were posting about it all over the city’s Facebook page before the city was aware and the news had covered it (must have been a slow news day if this was a story). Apparently it had taken on a life of its own before the city posted or I would agree with you.

This article didn’t talk about it, but the one I saw said that bystanders were posting about it all over the city’s Facebook page before the city was aware and the news had covered it (must have been a slow news day if this was a story). Apparently it had taken on a life of its own before the city posted or I would agree with you.
I did see that---but now it is being talked about all over the world (was mentioned on the radio here in Germany this morning, OP posted al ink from New Zealand . . .). Makes more sense to ignore it for the few days, or agree it is funny while it had people's attention locally, then move on.

Last edited:
Oh my. Nobody was hurt, nobody was offended, no property was damaged, and clean up took 30 seconds. Pigeons pooping on the statue pose more risk.

I thought it was funny. I wish we didn't live in an era where everyone gets up in arms about everything.

Well in today’s environment where things go viral, everybody wants their minute and antics escalate to the point of absurdity for the sake of a YouTube upload, I’d say they’ve likely failed in their objective. :sad2:

The statue is a thousand pounds of bronze designed to resist the elements for thousands of years. It gets pounds of bird dung on it every year. It has not been harmed by a couple spots of sticky tape.

That said ... park employees shouldn't have to clean up other people's masses. The pranksters should get in as much trouble as someone who leaves their garbage behind on the picnic tables, a far more common and disruptive transgression.

The comments had me LOL!!!! I saw it on fb and the things people said were hysterical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter