Growing Basil

Last year I began a plant indoors when I bought a small strawberry jar specifically planted as an herb garden. The strawberry jar didn't work that well for me, so I transplanted the basil to my garden and it did fine. This year, I just planted some seeds in my garden directly, so I don't know how it will work out.

I really enjoyed having the fresh basil last year, it was the first time I had it.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Thanks for your post. I am excited for you that you can grow this herb in your garden!

I had never cooked with fresh basil until about a week ago and I (and my family) are hooked! :rotfl:

I was searching online and it looked like basil needed some ph control to thrive so I thought I would ask here....the DIS garden people know what they are doing! ;)

I bought a small plant at our local farmer's market last weekend and I wasn't sure what to do with it. :rotfl:

A neighbor here in Ohio uses large pots outside to grow her herbs in, and in NJ, my mom has her basil in the ground. Her plants are bought at the local garden store.

I hope you have a successful harvest!

I have grown basil in my garden, and have planted new ones just a few days ago as well. We have only used the Thai basil, and not the others, but I will try to see how it works in our spagetthi sauce. Let me know what types of recipes you find Susan. :goodvibes

Hi, Patsy! :flower3:

The recent recipe that I tried I got from the Rachael Ray Show. It looked so easy on the show and it really was easy to make. We had a little left over and it tasted even better the next day! :rotfl: I got some of the ingredients at Costco and spent under $21 getting most of the stuff for this meal....and it serves several with just one pound of chicken.

Chicken Parm Pasta Toss (serves 4 - 6)

1 pound whole wheat penne
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, chopped into pieces
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
Ground black pepper
2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
1 large red onion, chopped
2 pints grape tomatoes
2 cups basil, chopped
3 cups arugula or baby arugula, roughly chopped
1 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Fill a large pasta pot with water and place it over high heat. Once the water comes up to a boil, salt it and drop in the pasta. Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. Before draining the pasta, reserve a mugful of starchy cooking water, then drain and reserve.

While the water is coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over high heat with 3 turns of the pan of EVOO (olive oil), about 3 tablespoons. Season the chicken pieces with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper then add it to the preheated skillet. Cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side.

Once the chicken is brown, add the garlic and onions to the pan, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cover the pan with a lid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes burst open and begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes (if they haven’t started to burst open by that time, mash them lightly with a potato masher or wooden spoon). Season the mixture with salt and pepper.

Add the drained pasta and reserved starchy cooking water (about 1 cup) to the skillet with the chicken and tomatoes, and toss over the heat until combined, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil, arugula, and cheese. Serve.

Hi, Patsy! :flower3:

The recent recipe that I tried I got from the Rachael Ray Show. It looked so easy on the show and it really was easy to make. We had a little left over and it tasted even better the next day! :rotfl: I got some of the ingredients at Costco and spent under $21 getting most of the stuff for this meal....and it serves several with just one pound of chicken.

Chicken Parm Pasta Toss (serves 4 - 6)

1 pound whole wheat penne
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, chopped into pieces
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
Ground black pepper
2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
1 large red onion, chopped
2 pints grape tomatoes
2 cups basil, chopped
3 cups arugula or baby arugula, roughly chopped
1 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Fill a large pasta pot with water and place it over high heat. Once the water comes up to a boil, salt it and drop in the pasta. Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. Before draining the pasta, reserve a mugful of starchy cooking water, then drain and reserve.

While the water is coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over high heat with 3 turns of the pan of EVOO (olive oil), about 3 tablespoons. Season the chicken pieces with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper then add it to the preheated skillet. Cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side.

Once the chicken is brown, add the garlic and onions to the pan, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cover the pan with a lid. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes burst open and begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes (if they haven’t started to burst open by that time, mash them lightly with a potato masher or wooden spoon). Season the mixture with salt and pepper.

Add the drained pasta and reserved starchy cooking water (about 1 cup) to the skillet with the chicken and tomatoes, and toss over the heat until combined, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil, arugula, and cheese. Serve.

Thank you. I am not a pasta person, but this would be something that I would try. Maybe my sister would like this recipe, thank you for sharing it.

How is your basil plants doing Susan?

One of my plant is not doing well at all. The bugs have gotten it, and there are holes in the leaves, and it is about to die :(.

Any tips anyone on how to get rid of those bugs? I bought a spray, and sprayed it, but sicne the plant was almost unsavable, I am not able to tell if the spray helped or not.

The one I have inside, I had put in a easterly window and it has grown and now has white flowers on it. I don't know what that means! :confused3

I bought a packet of seeds and DH planted some out in the garden. We have yet to see how they will do as they haven't come up yet.

The one I have inside, I had put in a easterly window and it has grown and now has white flowers on it. I don't know what that means! :confused3

I bought a packet of seeds and DH planted some out in the garden. We have yet to see how they will do as they haven't come up yet.

It means that you have a healthy plant that is getting older. Not really sure, but the flowers may turn into seeds :).

It means that you have a healthy plant that is getting older. Not really sure, but the flowers may turn into seeds :).

Go ahead and snip the stalks whenever you use the basil. When the flowers start coming, the basil will stop producing the leaves. You want a bushy plant, and the only way to get that is to prune the plant so 2 stalks grow where you snipped one. You can try to save the flowers and see if you are able to grow them next season. I'm assuming you are referring to sweet basil, but this is true for most types of basil that I know about.

Go ahead and snip the stalks whenever you use the basil. When the flowers start coming, the basil will stop producing the leaves. You want a bushy plant, and the only way to get that is to prune the plant so 2 stalks grow where you snipped one. You can try to save the flowers and see if you are able to grow them next season. I'm assuming you are referring to sweet basil, but this is true for most types of basil that I know about.

Thank you very much for that information :).

When the little flowers began blossoming, the leaves all started curling up. I took it out of the window and the blossoms all died away. The plant looks pretty bad right now. :confused3

We have a small herb garden in our backyard (in the ground). Basil is an annual, so it's one we have to get every year...Now that I think of it, I don't know if we got any yet!? But, we've actually had frost warnings this past week, so I guess it's good if we haven't!

I buy a pot in the supermarkt and keep it on the windowsill til it dies:rolleyes1 I've grown it in pots but we'cve had some cold summers so its not quick enough. There is no comparison with dried, but it works best when not cooked too long, e.g. added to pasta with some chopped tomatoes, green (french) beans and brie and stirred gently over the heat til the Brie goes gooey:goodvibes

Ok, my windowsill basil has official gone to that big garden in the sky. :headache:

I'll have to watch what the seeds planted in the garden do....

I buy a pot in the supermarkt and keep it on the windowsill til it dies:rolleyes1 I've grown it in pots but we'cve had some cold summers so its not quick enough. There is no comparison with dried, but it works best when not cooked too long, e.g. added to pasta with some chopped tomatoes, green (french) beans and brie and stirred gently over the heat til the Brie goes gooey:goodvibes

Note to self, stop and get some green beans and brie :)

I planted some basil seeds in my garden and the only ones that germinated were the ones that I pulled up thinking it was a weed! As soon as the roots showed, I smelled the fragrance.

Cilantro, which I don't particularly like is growing nicely, but not the parsley.

I'm going out to try again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter