Guest Assistance Pass

Permits issued in one state ARE valid in any other state according to the United States Department of Transportation. Now, there might be some loopholes in there if the state does not accept any federal highway money, but it doesn't say that in the reference I found.
Our dd's first handicapped parking permit was issued in Wisconsin and was a permanent permit, since she has a permanent disability. When we moved to Minnesota and got a new permit, we asked why we were being issued one that would expire. We were told that a US law passed in 1991 required all states set up a system to follow the same rules for determining eligibility for a permit and all had to honor those issued by the other states or countries.

Here's the language from the law that I copied from the Dept of Transportation web site:

Sec. 1235.8 Reciprocity.

The State system shall recognize removable windshield placards, temporary removable windshield placards and special license plates
which have been issued by issuing authorities of other States and countries, for the purpose of identifying vehicles permitted to utilize
parking spaces reserved for persons with disabilities which limit or impair the ability to walk.

Sec. 1235.2 Definitions.

Terms used in this part are defined as follows:

(a) "International Symbol of Access" means the symbol adopted by Rehabilitation International in 1969 at its Eleventh World
Congress on Rehabilitation of theDisabled.

(b) "Persons with disabilities which limit or impair the ability to wal k" means persons who, as determined by a licensed physician:

(1) Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest; or

(2) Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from,a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wh eelchair, or other
assistive device; or

(3) Are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person's forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when
measured by spirometry is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air or at rest; or

(4)Use portable oxygen; or

(5) Have a cardiac condition to the extent that the person's functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV
according to standards set by the American Heart Association; or

(6) Are severely limited in their ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.

Here's the US Department of Transportation web site if you want to check it out for yourself.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

Kay1...
/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Oh, that is so unfair. What the heck was he thinking?
Well, OK, MAYBE he thought he was doing you a favor. Maybe. I do think that it is farther to walk and more physical work to go from some of the disabled parking lot spots than from the tram lot. Did they at least tell you to park right next to the tram stop? I sure hope so.

A few times we have been told by CMs in the regular tram lot to go to the disabled parking area, even though we do not have a permit. Maybe 5 times. I was never questioned, I never got a ticket. I told them that the regular tram lot, parking next to the tram stop, was our preference, and they told us to go the the disabled parking lot instead. Go figure. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I have no idea what his motivation was, but yes, he did say to park close to the tram. It occurred to me that because I look young and he was much older he thought I was borrowing someone else's permit to park where I didn't belong. Scott doesn't usually look disabled when he's riding in the car. You know, the same skepticism that causes the scrutiny at the attractions. The fact that the two CM's were ticked on my behalf took away some of my ire and I decided I wouldn't let it ruin my day. I'll just be ready next time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi Sue,

While it is true that all handicap stickers are valid in all states, each state has the right to set the rules as to how they are allowed to be used. For example, when I visit my brother in San Francisco, I need to go to the nearest department of motor vehicles (where people get their driver's licenses renewed) and show them my handicap sticker from Minnesota. They then issue me a paper handicap parking permit that is good for the dates that I am going to be in California.

And believe me, it took FOREVER to get that taken care of....the lines were unbelievable.(smile) Made me appreciate the town I live in, and how quickly that kind of stuff is handled here.

Some states will accept the handicap sticker from another state "as is," while others have extra requirements. What I do before I travel out of state, is make sure that I contact whichever department handles handicap stickers in the state I am visiting, and then follow their directions.
Fortunately, Florida is one of the states that will just accept my Minnesota handicap sticker without my having to do anything extra, which is a good thing, as I would hate to miss any time at WDW(smile)

figaro02.gif

What, exactly, is a GAC? I'm a little confused about it and how it works. I recently traveled to WDW with my Mom, who is in a wheelchair and has extreme difficulty handling exposure to sun. She also cannot transfer without a lot of assistance. My sister too has severe arthritis and often has trouble walking up stairs, or standing for long periods. We have never heard of a GAC and we want more information. Would a GAC be of use to us? If so, how do we get one?

Olan, yes, a GAC would be appropriate. You can search this board for information by clicking on the 'search' funciton in the top right corner of this page. Use the keywords "GAC or SAP" and you will find plenty of informaiton. If you have trouble, please ask and we will try to strighten it out for you.

fairies01.gif

Guest Assistance Card (or Pass); also called GAP
Special Assistance Pass; also called SAP
All refer to the basically the same thing. The card that used to be called the Special Assistance Pass was changed to Guest Assistance Card earlier this year. You can do a search for any (or all) of these names to get more information. Here is some basic information:
How do you get one? You can go to Guest Relations in any of the parks and request one. You don't need a doctor's letter or any evidence to shopw you need one. You do need to be able to explain what your problems are and what assistance you need; like do you have a problem with being in the sun, etc.
How long is it valid? If you are given a pass, it will be good at any park for the length of your vacation. You don't need to get one for each park or for each day.
What does it allow you to do? The cards all look the same, but each card has different instructions stamped on. I am aware of 4 different messages; there may be more.
1) Allows a stroller to be used as a wheelchair. ECVs and wheelchairs can be taken into any building or line without having any pass or card. This allows strollers to use the same entrances.
2) Allows a waiting spot shaded from the sun if the line is "in the sun for an excessive amount of time." Most of the lines the largest part of the line inside a building or under a roof or shade. One CM posted on the board that some of the outdoor lines are even airconditioned to avoid getting too hot.
3) Allows an alternate waiting area for people who can't wait in line. This one is mostly used for children/adults with conditions like autism that make waiting in line difficult.
4) Kids at WDW thru the Make A Wish organization.
For the first 3 categories, you will be asked to use fastpass if available and you are told that the card will not allow immediate access to rides/attractions. You will still need to wait; it just may be in a different place.
Do I really need a card? If you are going during a slow period in the park, you probably don't need a Guest Assistance Card, because the lines are not long. If you have a wheelchair and don't have a problem waiting in line as long as you have the wheelchair, you don't need a card; just take the wheelchair with you in line. If you have a disability that is not visible and you can walk (like not being able to go up stairs), you probably need a card. Some rides do have stairs and the CMs would probably not allow you to bypass them without a card.
For your family member with arthritis, she might want to rent a wheelchair or ecv. The parks are very large and it's easy to underestimate how much walking will be done. ˇ

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

The biggest hassles I have gotten is when I was using a scooter and wanted to ride a ride that requires tranfer to a manual chair. Since I have RA and my shoulders are affected, I cannot manipulate a manual chair and I am not always accompanied by someone who can push. I have been told several times, too bad, you just can't ride this ride. This has happens even when I have a SAP explaining that I need alternate access (like Pooh) Fastpass makes it easier.
I am now in an electric wheelchair find Pirates of the Carribbean is the only ride that poses a problem. Must have someone with me to access the ride.
I really hate the looks you get from people when you use an electric wheelchair a mainstream line. One guest screamed loudly to the castmember at a ride that she refused to have my chair behind her and wanted to be moved forward in the line. Unfortunately her demands were met. Unfair to all she jumped. I felt if she didn't like being in front of my chair she should have gone behind it. Not my doing the lines are mainstreamed.

Pooh

I agree if that woman didn't want your chair behind her, she should have gottne behind you. That would have totaally ensured that you could not run into her (if that's what she was saying she was worried about).We have found that quite a few people are not nice to someone with any type of mobility device (manual or power). They try to get around you, get way too close, touch the chair, and cut you off when the line turns.Some are very nice though and i have to say for each bad experience in line, we usually have a good one sometime that day.
Now, as far as rides where you have to switch from power mobility to a WDW chair, that has also been a problewm for us becasue usually you need a FOLDING manual chair and my dd's does not fold unless we take it all apart. On Pirates, the main problem is that the boats go thru a place just a little higher thatn the boat itself just beyond the exit. If it wasn't for that, they could use boats like on Small World or Mexico and board wheelchairs at the exit. There is an elevator that can take you from the exit up to ground level, but I'm not sure if the elevator also stops at the boarding are. At any rate, they don't have staff to shuttle wheelcahirs up and down.

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

quote from Pooh...
"...I cannot manipulate a manual chair and I am not always accompanied by someone who can push. I have been told several times, too bad,you just can't ride this ride. This has happens even when I have a SAP explaining that I need alternate access..."

SAY WHAAAT???!!!!???? The A in SAP or GAC is for Assistance! That is what they are supposed to give you! It isn't the Guest Permission Card, it is the Guest ASSISTANCE Card. See, this is the problem, some CMs see these cards as some kind of grant of a privelege, rather than a notice of need for assistance. Know what I mean? I know they aren't supposed to help transfer (even though some do) but would they really tell you they can't push you in the chair to the loading point? Or am I reading this wrong

We probably need some CM input on this, but I do think it says in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities that they cannot provide that kind of assistance. I also think there is a difference between pushing the chair a few feet or yards and going thru the whole line providing that type of assistance. In Pirates, you have to change to a manual folding chair at the entrance to the queue. Someone would have to push the chair for the whole length of the queue (which is quite far; walking fast, it takes 10 minutes to get to the boarding point even when there isn't a line). The times we were there, it appeared there were only 3 people working - one at the entrance, one at boarding and one at the exit. SO, they did not have enough staff to do that. Could they provide more staff? Probably. Are they likely to? No.
There are other things they could possibly do, but some of the older rides just were not set up expecting power wheelchairs and ecvs to use them. You have to remember that even 10 years ago, we could go all day in any of the parks and be able to count on one hand the wheelchairs we met. ECVs and power wheelchairs were rare.
I'm not saying WDW shouldn't do more, I'm just saying they are pretty new at this and they are still trying to find their way.

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

A few weeks ago we were hoping to get the name of someone at WDW who could address this issue and hopefully work towards a better system. Was a name ever given? If so, I missed it. My daughter and I will be flying to Fla, in a little over 2 weeks. I would be happy to take these posts and meet with someone. Does anyone know what department oversees the passes?

Please pray for my daughter as we get closer to our departure day. The Lord has blessed her with excellent health all summer, so right now it looks we will be able to travel. But as those of you with fragile children know, that can change in the blink of an eye.

Thanks very much.

No they will not push you through the line. They really don't have the manpower. For the Pooh ride the SAP noted that they were allow me to walk through the exit which I can do over that short a distance with the help of my canes. I would not be able to comfortably stand and walk through a line. I can only stand for about 5 minutes max which a great deal of pain.
For Pirates, I wait for my daughters and one of them pushes the manual chair through. My girls are grown and 2 can push me. The oldest cannot as she has a problem with her arms and wrists that prevent he pushing anything with weight. If I let her, her orthopedic doc who absolute kill us both.
None of them enjoy the Pooh ride. Pooh is my thing /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Pooh

We didn't get a name from any CMs here. Sounds like you have a mission!! I was going to pull together some key quotes .. unless somebody has already done that. I am not sure that handing them transcripts of the board would be focussed enough, maybe it could be summarized. It is covered in about 10 threads...

fairies01.gif

something funny goind on with the boards right now...
lisapooh and SueM... when I was there with my elderly relatives and kids last year at Spring Break, I remember 2 times that CMs pushed my Mom's chair for us through mainstream queues... I think this is a manpower issue, and they do it if they have the time and are motivated... which in our case may have been that I was struggling with my much-too-bouncy son and they felt sorry for me. In the guidebook it says they are not allowed to assist with transfers, but it doesn't say anything (that I have read yet) about not helping with positioning and moving the wheelchair itself.

Honestly, I would think that there would be plenty of people who would be willing to help someone through a line if they knew they could help, and help was needed. We ought to make a new Scout Badge for wheelchair pushing. Hmmmm... put those pre-teens to work! Or maybe a nice new Pin... Dreaming again.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

fairies01.gif

Actually had a guest help me one time. Gay Day 2 years ago and the kids were on Space Mountain and I wanted to go on the Pooh ride. This was when it first opened. Castmember told me I had to transfer to a manual chair and I told him I can't handle a manual chair and was there another way. Real nice guy in a bright red shirt says hop in and I'll push the chair, He was really nice and I loved the ride.

Pooh

Pooh, you'll be happy to hear that they re-designed the line for Pooh when they put in fastpass.
We went thru the regular fastpass line until just before you are loaded on the ride. AND they have a wheelchair car. My dd rode the Pooh ride in her wheelchair. I'm not sure if power chairs can fit in it or not, but I can tell you that you should be able to stay in your own chair until you board.

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

For Teri,

If you are willing and have the time to pull key quotes that would be a big help to me. I was going to pull primarily yours because you do a great job of getting to the point.

I'm hoping to get some time one day this week to do some preliminary phone calling and try to nail down what dept. I'm looking for once we get there.

2 weeks from today - zippety doo dah!! - We'll be there!! Can't wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter