Guest Assistance Pass

I'm wondering if it would be a more positive thing to contact someone at WDW with a link to this board and a link to a few interesting thread (I'm thinking of the "Evening in a Wheelchair at Epcot" and this thread) instead of a list of problems. We don't want to give the impression that all that is discussed here is negative. This could be a good customer service resource to WDW and could be the start of some good give and take.
I do have an email address for someone who was helpful to me in Feb. I thought of inviting her to visit the boards before, but didn't want to do it when we we re only going for a few months, then we crashed (the boards) and then we had the recent problems with the software update.
After all, you can catch more Poohs with honey than with bees.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇV

Hi, Just a little information about the GAP ( guest assistance pass). My husband has ALS and is unable to walk without assistance, and then only on a surface that is not moving. We get the GAP so Dale can enter thru the exit of each attraction. We usually end up waiting longer than the folks in the regular line. The ride must be stopped and then Dale boards the ride. This may take up to a minute or more. More than once I have had a cast member remark on how much time he was taking--I usually just come back with the he'll gladly trade places if your willing. But that is another story. ( The greater majority of CM's are just wonderful!!!) Dale also requires the GAP -since he is unalbe to sit in the heat of the sun for long periods of time. Controlling his body temperature is key to his health. Disney has done a good job making attractions accessible to people with disabilites---but I also feel they could do much more. Is there an area at WDW where we can voice our thoughts? I'm fairly new to the world of the handicapped at WDW so any and all information would be helpful. Thanks in advance Patty /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ihttp://www.disneyclipart.com/cgi-bin/jump.bin?ID=464mg/img

About the leagality of the theme parks asking for documentaion or proof of disability, I'd just like to comment that I called IOA/USF and asked about their pass and they told me to bring documentation. I've since gone 3 times and they declined the documents each time and just issued the pass. Then, this weekend, my house guests and my family went to Busch Gardens and I was asked for documentation. I happened to have some but my friends didn't. I told the fellow we were unprepared since we live in the Tampa Bay area and have got a pass before without documentation. I said I didn't think he could legally ask but his supervisor came over and said they could as long as they don't ask the nature of the disability. Interesting, huh? It turned out okay as she said she would make an exception but I'm still wondering about it. What do y'all think?

I wonder how they get documentation without asking the nature of the disability? If you have a handicapped parking pass, they can't use that since you need it in your car to park.P

SueM in MN
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

bump.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

As mom of two differently able children...
My kids look "normal." They have both been diagnosed in the autisim spectrum. CMs for the most part, have been great, as long as we show our GAP. (sometimes more than once in a single line.) We have run into a few that give us the sense that we are abusing the system in some way. My DS needs to be in a stroller or he would be eating gum or popcorn off the ground. He also dislocates his elbows to avoid walking on occasion. In lines, he tends to blame the poor person in front of him for his wait. (kicking biting, screaming) My DD screams she doesn't want to go until we get off the ride & then she screams to go again.
My suggestion is to have a special button/pin or tag for our stroller or for ourselves. We get tired of hearing "stroller parking over here", "this is wheelchair entrance only" & "I'll look at the card if you want me to, but..." These cards are helpful but, maybe something as simple as a button that said, "I'm Mickey's special guest" would stop some of the stares from those that feel we're just cutting in line. They use buttons for "Make a Wish." They are easily seen & a lot easier than fumbling around for a card that when wet is useless. These buttons could have picutres, Mickey transferring from a chair or whatever assistance the guest needed.
I'm tired of being treated like I'm just a bad parent of a child with a behavioral problem!

I know exactly what you mean, momejay.

galc.gif

teri@iluvdisney.com

bump again... for Sondra

galc.gif

teri@iluvdisney.com

If you have a handicapped plaque, don't you have a registration slip as well. I know I was issued one for each pass. I just keep that in my purse with my driver's license.

Pooh Bear

lisapooh, the registration slip sounds like a good idea, but it must vary from state to state. Our registration slip didn't have anything that we got that indicated it was for a handicapped plate..

SueM in MN

<<in a facetious tone of voice>>.....
You reckon showing them my daugher's scars on her
back or her head would help?(assuming she would let me):-) After all, she looks like a road map!
You know I didn't even think of taking documentation last time we went...better be making plans now, huh?:-)
Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter