Hamilton on Disney Plus this Friday....who's excited!!??

Loved every single second of it. Leslie Odom is such a star.
He was so good! LOVED how he performed "Wait For It"...like he was right on the edge of exploding but had to work really hard to control himself.

We saw the show on tour and my biggest disappointment was Burr's performance at our show. He played it almost...comical? Like he was The Riddler or something.

He was so good! LOVED how he performed "Wait For It"...like he was right on the edge of exploding but had to work really hard to control himself.

We saw the show on tour and my biggest disappointment was Burr's performance at our show. He played it almost...comical? Like he was The Riddler or something.
Who was your Burr?

I highly suggest turning on Closed Captioning when viewing Hamilton as the lyrics go by so fast that it's impossible to catch everything.
I really think I would have been lost if I saw it live without seeing the words. Watching it and reading the lyrics at the same time made a big difference in my enjoyment and oh how I loved it. I may continue to watch with the lyrics but for a few songs I am pretty familiar with the lyrics now since they are played often in my house :).

I watched it. It was ok. I'll rewatch to see if my opinion improves.

I’m with you. I had a hard time following the plot and it didn’t draw me in like other musicals. I’m not familiar at all with the history of Alexander Hamilton. I know of the founding fathers but haven’t studied that information since high school. The music was good though. I’m not sure why the show gets so much hype. Maybe I went into watching it with too high expectations?
Les Mis and Sound of Music were my favorites. I also liked Rent. I did see all of these on broadway though.

So BLM calling for canceling of Hamilton. Thoughts?
I disagree with them on this one. To start with, I don't think the musical leaves Hamilton in a favorable light. The historical context of what he contributed to the country is all true. As a person, he was flawed, selfish, arrogant, a liar, a cheat - and I think Lin Manuel Miranda showed that very well.

I've also seen many interviews with the stars who said this launched or help accelerate their careers. Having an almost entire cast made up BIPOC actors is something huge.

That isn't to say their concerns are unfounded, as LMM has acknowledged. But as he said, he had to fit 8 years into 2.5 hours; it couldn't all fit in the story.

So BLM calling for canceling of Hamilton. Thoughts?
We've already discussed this but there are some lunatics in the cancel culture.
It's absurd to be cancelling Hamilton, George Washington, Lin Manuel Miranda, Gandhi, US Grant, Fredrick Douglass, Lincoln. Some of these cancel culture people have lost the plot.

I disagree with them on this one. To start with, I don't think the musical leaves Hamilton in a favorable light. The historical context of what he contributed to the country is all true. As a person, he was flawed, selfish, arrogant, a liar, a cheat - and I think Lin Manuel Miranda showed that very well.

I've also seen many interviews with the stars who said this launched or help accelerate their careers. Having an almost entire cast made up BIPOC actors is something huge.

That isn't to say their concerns are unfounded, as LMM has acknowledged. But as he said, he had to fit 8 years into 2.5 hours; it couldn't all fit in the story.

Yup, the whole point/breakthrough of Lin Manuel Miranda and Hamilton is to allow and prove that actors of color to play white roles or roles normally reserved for white actors.

Some of these lunatics just want to stop the progress and opportunities that Lin Manuel Miranda created.

I support BLM and what they stand for. That being said, I saw some buzz on release day about this and started reading and watching YouTube interviews with the cast. Some of those cast members are activists and give thoughtful interviews on what it was like to play these people on stage. When I saw people accusing Lin of being a racist I shut it down and anything said after that has no validity to me. It's an outrageous accusation.

He doesn't glorify Hamilton. Just because it's called that and it's wildly popular doesn't mean it's a glorification of the man. He was a jerk and they portray him as such. I think many people who say such haven't even seen it.

Our founding fathers had problematic backgrounds in the institution of slavery. It's part of our history and it's not something that should be ignored. However, there are better ways to go about it than calling someone like Lin Manuel Miranda a racist and trying to get a Broadway show, which has almost an entire cast of people of color, canceled. Focus the attention on who really is racist and work to dismantle that from within our government.

Late to this thread, but "Quiet Uptown" really got me. LMM and Phillipa Soo were amazing, and that song totally hits differently for me now that I have a kid myself.

I still remember hearing that song for the first time...my daughter was playing the sound track on a road trip she and I took, and it made me sob. And, that wasn't even seeing it. Just listening. It still affects me powerfully.

Watched it last night with my kids, and I must be one of the only people in this world who didn't like it - at all. I am really glad that we didn't buy tickets to see it when it was in my city, because I think I would have regretted spending all that money.

Now - before everyone flames me, I am an adult on the autism spectrum (high functioning), and it was just too much for me. It was loud, sooooo long, and there weren't any breaks for me to catch my breath (other than the one minute intermission with glorious silence). I agree with everyone else that it portrayed Alexander Hamilton as a pretty flawed guy and didn't glorify him. But I much would have rather read the book instead.
It's a streaming service. You can stop and start it wherever you want.

I’m with you. I had a hard time following the plot and it didn’t draw me in like other musicals. I’m not familiar at all with the history of Alexander Hamilton. I know of the founding fathers but haven’t studied that information since high school. The music was good though. I’m not sure why the show gets so much hype. Maybe I went into watching it with too high expectations?
Les Mis and Sound of Music were my favorites. I also liked Rent. I did see all of these on broadway though.
IMO, it gets hype because of the genius of LMM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter