Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
In light of current events, it seems that there has been an influx of new users, but also, many, MANY users who have been around for a very long time, but maybe don't frequent the boards as much as we used to.

We had a great little family here about, what? 6 or 7 years ago? This board was so lively, so many regulars, we all became friends, some of us IRL, and some of us just here, but we could always count on each other for a chat.
I've made some incredible friendships, with 2 people in particular, @disneysteve who we all know! A wealth of knowledge, a fantastic friend, a wonderful family man and a Disney lover to his core.
And arguably one of my very best friends now @NeuroCindy. We generally speak daily (though we both have a lot going on at the moment, so we check in every few days where we can).
All of this from the literal opposite side of the world.
I've visited them in the States, and Cindy has visited me here down under. (still working on getting Steve down here!!)

Whilst the current events are clearly very sucky, the DIS has given me two amazing friends in real life, and many others virtually.
@WebmasterJackie @Teleclashter and the Mod team in the DISboards on FB group.

Over the years, a lot of us have drifted away, some have drifted apart, and sadly, some of us, one comes to mind especially, are no longer with us (@SorcererHeidi).

In the darkness that is the current events, it's been so nostalgic and heartwarming to see some old faces (avatars I guess?) that I haven't had the privilege to speak to in many years.

To those people, hi!!! I hope you're all doing well. I hope you stop in here and we can all catch up and have a chat about, well, anything.

This board especially felt so much more personal than many other areas of the DIS because its essentially an open forum to chat about practically anything.

If you're reading this, and you recognize my name, stop and say Hi! Share a fun memory of the boards, or fill us in on how you're doing lately.
If you're new here, welcome. I can only hope that you find some camaraderie here like I have because I treasure those days.

"Rumors of Light" Lounge Thread. One of the best examples of digital community positivity on the boards. (Created while waiting for the eventual Rivers of Light DAK show.) I still have the buttons that were made! Every so often I'll still wear one in the parks as a reminder of the strength and cheerful shenanigans of our co-created community.

I couldn't possibly love this post any more. Of course, I agree completely. I posted something similar in the other thread. And @Princess Jes , it goes back more than 6-7 years. The 7th anniversary of our Broadway adventure together is coming up in a couple of weeks so we had to be friends well before that. And hopefully Bec has accepted that I'm not a serial killer at this point.

@Tiggerette if I'm not mistaken you got to "meet" Jes in flatty form at the Mega Meet (or one of those things).

@NeuroCindy is certainly at the top of my DIS friends list, too. We also talk almost daily.

But so many more. I don't want to tag them all as they may or may not want that but having attended regional DIS meets in New Jersey, Delaware, Hershey, Boston, and Richmond, some of those multiple times, we've made dozens of IRL friends. Quite a few friends have gradually migrated to Orlando and we're always meeting up with folks when we are at WDW which adds such a special touch to our trips.

How am I doing? Doing well. I'm semi-retired and mostly work 8 hours/week at this point. We have not been traveling much due to some medical issues with my wife and some other stuff. Our last Disney trip was for the 50th anniversary in October 2021, probably the longest stretch we've ever gone without a visit. We'll get back there eventually. I'm not sure when Australia will be on the docket but we'd love to come visit, Jes. Traveling to the ancestral home of Tim Tams and Iced Vovos sounds like a dream vacation to me.

The DIS has been a special place to me for over 20 years so I hope it continues to thrive once this whole mess gets sorted out.

Hi all -love this Jes! I would LOVE to see a @SorcererHeidi post right about now 😂 ! She would reach out and PM me every so often -I sure do miss those. I don't have any trips planned in the near future, although my daughters are headed down this Wednesday for a week on my DVC points. The boards have changed, but that was to be expected as so much was going to the Facebook side of things. Nothing, even the recent stuff, deters me from the boards -I still pop in every day or two.

The boards have changed, but that was to be expected as so much was going to the Facebook side of things.
So true. The team barely even mentions the boards anymore except when there is an event coming up (like the one in Disneyland this week). Otherwise the focus is all on Facebook. The funny thing is how many people in the FB groups have absolutely no idea what DIS Boards is even though they're in the DIS Boards FB group. And also the people in the DIS Unplugged group who aren't aware of the podcasts. They just randomly wander in because it's a group talking about Disney. Someone will mention one of the team members and the replies will be "Who is that?"

So true. The team barely even mentions the boards anymore except when there is an event coming up (like the one in Disneyland this week). Otherwise the focus is all on Facebook. The funny thing is how many people in the FB groups have absolutely no idea what DIS Boards is even though they're in the DIS Boards FB group. And also the people in the DIS Unplugged group who aren't aware of the podcasts. They just randomly wander in because it's a group talking about Disney. Someone will mention one of the team members and the replies will be "Who is that?"
Always good to see you around here Steve! I have to admit -I mostly avoid the FB DISboard groups because it can be a sewer at times, and with so many responses one topic becomes 5 different conversations ...and honestly, how do you create any kind of connection(good or bad) like you can on these original boards. Maybe I'm just getting old, but not likely..... 😉

Always good to see you around here Steve! I have to admit -I mostly avoid the FB DISboard groups because it can be a sewer at times, and with so many responses one topic becomes 5 different conversations ...and honestly, how do you create any kind of connection(good or bad) like you can on these original boards. Maybe I'm just getting old, but not likely..... 😉
Discussion forums like this are definitely more contained and easier to follow and develop connections. Facebook and Twitter and the like are more designed for people to "hear" themselves talk.

Mod team in the DISboards on FB group
Waving. :rolleyes1

...and what a great post Jess. Yes, I've also developed some very good friends because of being active here on the boards. Disney has always been a big part of my life. So big that I actually met my wife at WDW! The boards have been a great place to connect with others with similar likes.

"Rumors of Light" Lounge Thread. One of the best examples of digital community positivity on the boards. (Created while waiting for the eventual Rivers of Light DAK show.) I still have the buttons that were made! Every so often I'll still wear one in the parks as a reminder of the strength and cheerful shenanigans of our co-created community.
I loved that thread. I still have my tshirt. Lol

You know i was talking about you Jeff :) and the others of course, but I don't actually know if/who they are on the DIS itself.

The conversations and connections I made with this board
And the weird Aussies you met at Italian restaurants in NYC ;)
Lovely message, Jes.
I am going to admit, i meant to mention you in my post, but i totally forgot your DIS handle.
You, my friend, are easily one of my fave friends I've made here.
The convos we have had over the years are treasured. We do still connect on a pretty regular basis tbf.
I've missed some of you.
We've missed you friend. But I am lucky to have still been privvy to some of your wonderful humour. Oh how you've made me laugh friend.
I hope you're doing well.

Thank you for posting this. Receiving a lifetime ban (7 years now) because one (since-departed) Mod didn’t like a post caused me an irrational amount of angst because of how connected I felt to my DisBoard “family”. Not being able to come here and post my condolences when Heidi passed broke my heart. I have missed all of you more than I can say. The resurfacing of other past posters gave me the courage to try to re-register, fully in the open and not surreptitiously in the hopes that a kinder, gentler Board with a greater appreciation for what a true transgression looks like will allow past squabbles to remain in the past. If not, oh well. But I truly do hope that I can remain here to help pick up the pieces once order is restored. I’d love to help turn the darkness into light.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter