Hate kids but love Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like a bit of a trolling post that you might find on CC, but to respond to your last comment about whether anyone feels the same way, I'm sure some do, and whether you'll feel like an outsider on DCL for hating kids, well, quite possibly. I wouldn't judge you for cringing at children, at least not outwardly, but I would certainly think it was a bit masochistic to cruise on a cruiseline geared toward children and families if your hatred for children is so strong and so far beyond just a "I don't really like kids and don't want kids" type of mentality.

We are grandparents who have done nine DCL cruises, three without kids/gkids. Yes, we have heard kids yell up and down the hall...in hotels as well as on Mickey's ships. Our last WBTA only had 200 kids on it and it was quiet and very pleasant. However, Disney is another word for kids. We expect them on cruises and in the parks and realize that they will grow up and, perhaps, will suffer through sleepless nights, temper tantrums, dirty diapers, etc. as their kids grow up. Yet, once in a while these "pains" will surprise you with something wonderful -- insightful, kind or cute. They remember that I like hidden Mickeys, love Mickey Bars and decorating our stateroom doors...they are growing into these funky habits, too. Being retired we have no little ones in our house unless we "rent" them for a while. On a Disney cruise I revert to being a kid again, myself, and might go running up and down the halls or being a pest at dinner... haven't yet, but it is possible. Cruise on...

Not sure of the purpose of the OP, but my hubby and have taken 5 DCL cruises to date and have found that the kids on board the ships add to the Magical atmosphere, we enjoy living vicariously through them at their excitement, jubilation and sheer joy seeing them interact with the characters, or participate in activities, we've made many friends with families on the cruises and sharing their fun is one of the reasons we love taking the cruises so much! Not having kids on a cruise would lack so many things and we just wouldn't have as much fun as we do now.

Very much agree! I always tear up when I see a kid on Main Street for the first time because I remember how magical it was for me - same with embarking on a ship! Plus, I feel like if there weren't as many kids or if there were just all adults, I wouldn't feel as comfortable getting all giddy over kid-stuff! It's so fun!

Kids are messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying.

Lots of adults like this too. You will find both on ship and in the parks. Look around the boards, most comments on this topic are about awful adult human interactions and craptastic parenting, rather than those under 52 inches.

You will also find, both here on the boards and IRL on ship and in the parks, lots of people, young and old, just trying to enjoy THEIR vacation, just as you are attempting to enjoy yours. I suggest noise canceling headphones, a veranda of your very own (to avoid annoying humans of all ages) and a tubal, which you can get as a souvenir from Mexico, but not onboard the ship.

My husband and I cruise sans children and have a wonderful time. It can be done, but you'll need a hefty dose of realistic expectations when it comes to children on a line which caters to families.

Very much agree! I always tear up when I see a kid on Main Street for the first time because I remember how magical it was for me - same with embarking on a ship! Plus, I feel like if there weren't as many kids or if there were just all adults, I wouldn't feel as comfortable getting all giddy over kid-stuff! It's so fun!
Twinning! Me too on the chills and the misty eyes. Me too.

We typically avoid children on DCL cruises. We have late dining, spend most of our time in the adult-only areas including at CC or lounges that don't appeal to children (or go after hours when they're not allowed), take adult-only excursions where they're offered, and go to the adult-only activities (cooking demos, alcohol tastings, some other offerings). Lots of the kids on board are in the clubs for most of the day so we have no problems at all having an adult cruise on DCL while still allowing ourselves to indulge our own inner child.
Just curious do you find that kids are at some of the adult only activities? such as adult only trivia or arts & crafts?

On our cruises over the past 2yrs, I find that ADULT ONLY is NOT enforced.
Find it quite annoying since I would not expect my children to participate, yet other parents do.

Also annoying that Cove Café it is not enforced at all, parents bring their children in there all the time. On our cruise in Oct a mother brought 2 kids in, guessing under 10, who were ordering milk with a flavoring, and the employee had to go over the flavors several times. Really!!! All I wanted was my AM cappuccino!:coffee: To make matters worse, several higher ups/directors were sitting drinking coffee and nothing was said.
Yes, I have put it in my comment cards, "adult activities, should be adult only, and the host need to speak up"

Also annoying that Cove Café it is not enforced at all, parents bring their children in there all the time. On our cruise in Oct a mother brought 2 kids in, guessing under 10, who were ordering milk with a flavoring, and the employee had to go over the flavors several times. Really!!! All I wanted was my AM cappuccino!:coffee: To make matters worse, several higher ups/directors were sitting drinking coffee and nothing was said.
Yes, I have put it in my comment cards, "adult activities, should be adult only, and the host need to speak up"

Should a CM have interceded? Yes. However, the root cause is the mother's overwhelming sense of entitlement to flaunt the rules.

Last edited:
Just curious do you find that kids are at some of the adult only activities? such as adult only trivia or arts & crafts?

Actually, I've found them to be pretty good at turning children away, even if they're with parents. I've seen it happen several times at the cooking demos.

Also annoying that Cove Café it is not enforced at all, parents bring their children in there all the time.

Mostly I've seen it enforced. The only time I didn't was on our Med cruise when this woman would bring her 14 (?) year old daughter in to get drinks. They did leave right after getting them but it annoyed me that: (a) she brought her in (she could have waited outside the adult area); and (b) the CMs didn't say anything. The fact that they only stayed long enough to get a drink stopped me from asking for intervention, but I would have if she'd tried to stay. That's really the only time in 10 trips that I've seen someone under 18 in there or not moved on if they do.

I don't plan to have kids because I would feel too guilty if I couldn't protect them from the bad, the unfairness, and the trauma that is associated with being a human on the earth. It wouldn't be good for my mental health which means it wouldn't be a good for a child, and they are the ones that matter. They didn't ask to be put here, so unless I can protect them 100% I just couldn't live with myself. Nothing wrong with that - I'm doing them and the world a favor.

OAN, I'm 27, when are y'all cruising?
We’ll be cruising on December 2nd on the Magic! I appreciate the kind, honest reply.

Nobody -- absolutely nobody -- enjoys any kid having a temper tantrum, including their own kids.

But to say you hate kids but yet then want to cruise on Disney...well, that just puts you in a special category.

You don't go to a bar if you hate adults. You don't go to Disney if you hate kids.

solo traveller , no kids, Disney Parks are my happy place. I have also booked my first Disney cruise. I booked a September European cruise partly due to a low percentage of children. I wont be doing Disney port excursions, will be DIY in my ports. I'm also looking forward to experiencing the ship on port days when most people will be off doing excursions.

Its ok to love Disney Parks and Disney Cruises and not be a child friendly person. Its the best of both worlds, you can experience Disney and you have the money to buy whatever food, merchandise , experiences you like. No one tells you no you cant have icecream for breakfast, or no you cant watch the fireworks, its bed time.
This made me laugh as their are so many kid acrivities on Disney cruises... so parents can have adult time;)

Which is one of the many great things about Disney cruises :)

Thank you all for you honest opinions and inputs! I was in no way trying to start an argument, just wanted to see where other people were getting at. Kids aren’t for everyone. I’m very happy with my life, new full time job, and fur babies. I know it’s super silly and hypocritical of me, but I look forward to sailing on DCL again very very soon!

Do I hate kids? No I wouldn't go that far, but I don't particularly care for them for long periods of time. But then again, I don't enjoy many adults for long periods either. Welcome to being an introvert...and a dog mom :laughing:

DH & I are young adults who don't really plan on having kids, but we do love cruising and WDW. We had a great time on our past DCL, but have determined that other cruise lines are possibly a better fit for us, the huge amounts of kids being one factor. However, WDW is a different world altogether. Unless you're in a bar, you're probably not getting rid of them. But honestly, who cares? Why would you let something like "omg there are kids here" ruin a Disney vacation? You do you.

Or you could be like DH and myself and play the "how many dads will we see forcing their kids to have a good time because they paid an obscene amount of money for this vacation?" game. Bonus points if you do it with a cocktail. Extra bonus points if you point him in the direction of the nearest beer cart. Benefits to being a "childless millenial."

I think Disney and DCL are places for all, however it is strongly geared towards families. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and feelings. What I believe is how you treat people, even those you do not like, speaks to your character - even if that is a misbehaving child.

Were you by chance eating at Ohana Labor Day weekend? My sweet seven year old daughter who believes hate is a bad word, was spoken to with disgust when she accidentally bumped into someone while doing the coconut race. She was in the process of apologizing when this person berated her. She cried multiple times asking why that lady was so mean to her. I imagine she shares your opinion on children. I felt sorry for her that she would have such hate in her heart at the most magical place on earth.

I think Disney and DCL are places for all, however it is strongly geared towards families. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and feelings. What I believe is how you treat people, even those you do not like, speaks to your character - even if that is a misbehaving child.

Were you by chance eating at Ohana Labor Day weekend? My sweet seven year old daughter who believes hate is a bad word, was spoken to with disgust when she accidentally bumped into someone while doing the coconut race. She was in the process of apologizing when this person berated her. She cried multiple times asking why that lady was so mean to her. I imagine she shares your opinion on children. I felt sorry for her that she would have such hate in her heart at the most magical place on earth.
Ridiculous.

As a parent of an "anxiety-ridden" child, I can pretty much say it sucks for him too.

Personally, I don't understand people who go on a cruise line geared towards families with young kids and then complain about the young kids.

When I vacation without my kids, the last place you'll find me is anything related to the mouse house lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter