Hate kids but love Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly dislike kids as well for all the reasons you mentioned. Those same reasons are also why I don’t like most adults. I swore I’d never have kids. I always went on adults only all inclusive vacations. I always wanted to go to Disney, but avoided it because kids, especially on MY vacation, would irritate me to no end. I haven’t been to Disney since I was 5 and I’m 34 now.
A lot can change though.... I have 2 trips to Disney planned now...with my 2 year old son. I still don’t care much for kids or many adults though. However, I’m more tolerant of kids, yet far less tolerant of the adults now. Life is funny that way

I think Disney and DCL are places for all, however it is strongly geared towards families. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and feelings. What I believe is how you treat people, even those you do not like, speaks to your character - even if that is a misbehaving child.

Were you by chance eating at Ohana Labor Day weekend? My sweet seven year old daughter who believes hate is a bad word, was spoken to with disgust when she accidentally bumped into someone while doing the coconut race. She was in the process of apologizing when this person berated her. She cried multiple times asking why that lady was so mean to her. I imagine she shares your opinion on children. I felt sorry for her that she would have such hate in her heart at the most magical place on earth.
I’ve never been there, but I’m so sorry this happened to your daughter. I would never be blantly rude like that to a child.

Kids are messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying

Not all kids are as you describe. Some kids are. As are some adults. The difference is, most adults know whats right from wrong, where as kids are still learning. I am glad that you are confident in who you are and know that you dont want children...cause being a parent is hard and not everyone is cut out for it, especially with so many people thinking that they know how to raise your children better than you...especially people that don't have/want kids because they live in some ideological world and know how other people's kids should be taught and raised.

With all that being said, being a parent is easily the greatest thing that has ever happened to most of us...thinking about and putting someone else's life before your own isn't for everyone, thats for sure. Don't have children, change your mind and have children, do whatever you please...just be mindful sharing your unsolicited opinion with a group of people that you are likely to offend for no reason whatsoever.

I'm not always entirely comfortable with other people's children either, especially when they haven't been taught basic politeness or their parents feel that vacation excuses them from supervising their kids, but I don't think it's fair to label them all as messy, loud, rude, and anxiety-ridden. To be honest, those adjectives apply to just as many adult DCL cruisers as kids in my experience, and maybe more. I've seen plenty of parental freakouts because some poor kid was was tired out and not enjoying an activity or event enough to please Mom or Dad. And on the opposite side of the coin, I've met many articulate and well-mannered kids on DCL. If you really hate children (and that's a strong term, hate) then you can either try to limit your exposure to them on DCL, or just admit that it probably isn't the best vacation venue for you. Try an adults-exclusive cruise or resort where all those nasty uncontrolled little germ-laden shriekers are banned.

I think Disney and DCL are places for all, however it is strongly geared towards families. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and feelings. What I believe is how you treat people, even those you do not like, speaks to your character - even if that is a misbehaving child.

Were you by chance eating at Ohana Labor Day weekend? My sweet seven year old daughter who believes hate is a bad word, was spoken to with disgust when she accidentally bumped into someone while doing the coconut race. She was in the process of apologizing when this person berated her. She cried multiple times asking why that lady was so mean to her. I imagine she shares your opinion on children. I felt sorry for her that she would have such hate in her heart at the most magical place on earth.

I'm sorry that happened to your sweet daughter, but to try to pin that experience on the OP is rather extreme and unfair. Just because she doesn't enjoy the company of children, doesn't mean she's out publicly terrorizing them with hate in her heart.

And for what it's worth. I hate that coconut race. And I wouldn't be mad if that singing lady left as well. If we didn't love the Ohana food so much, I'd avoid the place. It's not that I dislike it because it's a chance for kids to have fun, it's because it's encouraging kids (and parents!) to run around like crazy in a very tightly packed restaurant. Doesn't make sense to me. It's just asking for things like your experience to happen. Oh well, the endless meat on a stick, noodles, and sticky wings will call us back anyway.

It's not that I dislike it because it's a chance for kids to have fun, it's because it's encouraging kids (and parents!) to run around like crazy in a very tightly packed restaurant. Doesn't make sense to me. It's just asking for things like your experience to happen. Oh well, the endless meat on a stick, noodles, and sticky wings will call us back anyway.

But it's Disney doing the encouragement. It's certainly not that the children are ill-behaved. They are acting as invited to act.

I'm sorry that happened to your sweet daughter, but to try to pin that experience on the OP is rather extreme and unfair. Just because she doesn't enjoy the company of children, doesn't mean she's out publicly terrorizing them with hate in her heart.

And for what it's worth. I hate that coconut race. And I wouldn't be mad if that singing lady left as well. If we didn't love the Ohana food so much, I'd avoid the place. It's not that I dislike it because it's a chance for kids to have fun, it's because it's encouraging kids (and parents!) to run around like crazy in a very tightly packed restaurant. Doesn't make sense to me. It's just asking for things like your experience to happen. Oh well, the endless meat on a stick, noodles, and sticky wings will call us back anyway.
I was joking by asking if that was her. I realize that humor isn’t easy to interpret on a message board, but that was how I meant asking if she was there. I told the story to illustrate how a hateful person impacted my child on vacation.

I feel the same way about adults travelling without children on Disney Cruises, they are always miserable, unkept, constantly getting drunk all hours of the night, cutting in line at character meets and stealing door magnets, this is not just a few bad apples, this is all of them.

This is slightly tongue in cheek.
I guess you haven’t been on my cruises.
On a cruise,
I am rarely miserable
I usually am dressed with brushed hair
Never been drunk and am a near-tea totaller
I don’t knowingly cut in lines (I am typically on the receiving end of cutting) and
Don’t do character meets
Display my own magnets and would not consider stealing others’

And I have sailed solo or with another adult.

I also didn’t say always or never because I may not be aware of being miserable or unkempt.

The adults you describe are what I expect to cruise on Carnival. Which is why we cruise DCL. I don’t enjoy being around adults or children who display the behavior you describe.

I enjoy happy children at a distance. Except when they are the kids of my friends, who jump in my arms for a hug and to say goodnight when I visit in the evenings. Then I cannot avoid it, and yes, I am uncomfortable. But it only lasts a few seconds and overall, they have learned that I am not a kids-person and they have learned to be gentle ;-)

I've never visited a Disney park or cruise with kids. I do solo visits or with adult friends only. I thoroughly enjoy the kids around me experiencing magic. On the other hand I count my blessings as a single person when I see families being miserable due to pushing the children beyond exhaustion and not taking breaks, etc.
When I see the unruly kids with unruly rude parents, I look away, leave, move, and just ignore them. On rare occasion I might address behaviour to the parents, but that depends on my mood and the situation.

But it's Disney doing the encouragement. It's certainly not that the children are ill-behaved. They are acting as invited to act.

I completely understand that and don’t blame the children for it. Never said I did. I stated I don’t think it’s a good choice of activity in a tightly packed restaurant, that’s all.

why all the negativity about not liking kids? So what, big deal. Why is it so hard to understand that an adult can like the Disney company products and experiences, that an adult can enjoy Disney Parks and Disney cruises but not like kids?? The products and services offered by the Disney company are not just for kids and families. It is not a pre-requisite of the Disney company that if you are an adult you must have kids in order to avail of their services and products.

This negative view of adults with no kids being Disney fans that stops solos and couples enjoying Disney Parks and Disney cruises. This negative view from families and people with kids makes solos and couples feel they have no right to go on a Disney cruise or that they should not do character dining in the park.

There are tons of posts here on Dis from solos who are looking for reassurance that its ok to go to a Disney park alone as they are worried that families with kids will make them feel uncomfortable. I've seen posts from solos who will not eat in table service restaurants are they are worried families with kids will not like a solo taking up a 4 top table.

Families with kids have no right to make a solo or adults with no kids uncomfortable or not wanted in a Disney park, on a Disney cruise or in a Disney restaurant.

I feel the same way about adults travelling without children on Disney Cruises, they are always miserable, unkept, constantly getting drunk all hours of the night, cutting in line at character meets and stealing door magnets, this is not just a few bad apples, this is all of them.
These aren’t the adults with no children, these are the adults with children. But they aren’t drunk, just sleep deprived shells of their former selves. Vacation with kids is just parenting in a new location with increased levels of difficulty.

why all the negativity about not liking kids? So what, big deal. Why is it so hard to understand that an adult can like the Disney company products and experiences.

This negative view of adults with no kids being Disney fans that stops solos and couples enjoying Disney Parks and Disney cruises. This negative view from families and people with kids makes solos and couples feel they have no right to go on a Disney cruise or that they should not do character dining in the park.

There are tons of posts here on Dis from solos who are looking for reassurance that its ok to go to a Disney park alone as they are worried that families with kids will make them feel uncomfortable. I've seen posts from solo

Families with kids have no right to make a solo or adults with no kids uncomfortable or not wanted in a Disney park, on a Disney cruise or in a Disney restaurant.

Have you seen any posts from families stating that they hate solo travellers or people without children? I know I havent. I've been to Disney for the last 30 years both as a single person and a parent and not once have I ever even contemplated what demographic may be there, or have I ever felt any prejudice for being there with or without kids. These things do not cross normal people's minds.

why all the negativity about not liking kids? So what, big deal. Why is it so hard to understand that an adult can like the Disney company products and experiences, that an adult can enjoy Disney Parks and Disney cruises but not like kids?? The products and services offered by the Disney company are not just for kids and families. It is not a pre-requisite of the Disney company that if you are an adult you must have kids in order to avail of their services and products.

There are tons of posts here on Dis from solos who are looking for reassurance that its ok to go to a Disney park alone as they are worried that families with kids will make them feel uncomfortable. I've seen posts from solos who will not eat in table service restaurants are they are worried families with kids will not like a solo taking up a 4 top table.

This thread is specifically about one woman saying she hates kids but then wants to go do Disney. I’ve been to Disney solo, without kids and with kids.

Disney, while for all ages, does have a target audience and its families. So to go to a place which is heavily targeted at kids and then say you hate kids is...interesting.

Everyone was a kid at one point. I’m sure everyone did something to annoy someone when they were younger.

I’m probably going to get a bunch of hate/rude comments for this, but just stating my honest opinion. I can’t stand children. Never liked them. Never liked playing with baby dolls when I was a little girl. I grew up an only child so most of my socializing was spent with adults. I’m almost 30 and do not plan on having kids anytime soon...if at all. Kids are messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying. Maybe it’s just the selfishness in me. BUT, I am and have always been a total kid at heart, especially when it comes to Disney! My best friend is the same exact way. So if you see two grumpy young adults cringing at the screams of children on the ship, that will be us! Lol. I am obviously willing to still sail on Disney cruises/go to Disney world, but don’t expect me to be grinning at your messy kid. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way so I won’t feel like a complete outsider.

I find your comment ironic - you anticipate ”a bunch of hate/rude comments” before listing out some pretty negative, dare I say hateful/rude, comments about children and those who appreciate children. Perhaps others’ comments are just their honest opinion too! Just a thought.

*News Flash* Not all children are “messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying”. Some are pretty decent little human beings.

Best way to avoid the kids: Stay in your room or hang out in the “adult only” areas. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

This thread is specifically about one woman saying she hates kids but then wants to go do Disney.

and I see nothing wrong with this. She obviously likes Disney products and services. She is a Disney fan and has as much right as every one else to go on a Disney cruise or visit Disney parks.

so what, big deal, she dosn't like kids. get over it. She has the money to spend on Disney experiences and services and she enjoys Disney experiences and services. Disney does not make it a pre requisite to have kids or like kids.

Stay in your room or hang out in the “adult only” areas.

this is uncalled for, just because she does not like kids she should stay in her room, like seriously, just no.

You have no right to make someone uncomfortable and feel not wanted and tell them to stay in their room and miss out on experiences they enjoy such as meeting characters, the shows, the activities etc. So what, big deal, she does not like kids, but that does not mean she does not like the Disney activities, experiences and services. Liking kids and enjoying Disney experiences, products and services are not mutually exclusive. You can "hate" kids and enjoy meeting characters, you can "hate" kids and enjoy Twice Charmed show, you can "hate" kids and enjoy Disney themening and customer service, you can "hate" kids and enjoy cruising the Disney way.

and I see nothing wrong with this. She obviously likes Disney products and services. She is a Disney fan and has as much right as every one else to go on a Disney cruise or visit Disney parks.

so what, big deal, she dosn't like kids. get over it. She has the money to spend on Disney experiences and services and she enjoys Disney experiences and services. Disney does not make it a pre requisite to have kids or like kids.

You’re only upset because you hate kids and you want everyone around you to tell you it’s okay. Had you just kept your unsolicited opinion to yourself then no one would even know. I don’t randomly start up threads to say I hate Group B and I want everyone to tell me it’s okay.

As I said, I’ve gone to Disney solo before. But I went to Disney solo knowing that there will obviously be kids.

As a Disney shareholder, I don’t care if you enjoy Disney services if you’re going to try to go there and tell the target audience how much you hate them.

Maybe I should go to a bar tonight and tell everyone how much I hate alcohol and people who drink. What kind of response do you think I will receive? I mean after all, I love the seating and the food at this bar...I just hate their target audience.

I don't have kids. I don't hate kids. I understand those that find kids annoying. I mean, let's face it, no child is perfect. But, I love traveling to Disney World with kids. The magic in their faces, and the sense of awe and wonder. I'm going next month with grandparents and their 10 year old grandson, I'm excited!

On a cruise, there are kids clubs on all the major cruise lines, and the kids seem happy there. The shore excursions, well, I'd probably pick excursions that would appeal to older teens and up in age for a quieter tour. Or stay onboard and do a spa day. THough on Grand Cayman, I did the Turtle Rehab thing, and there were a lot of kids, and I still enjoyed it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter