Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody can answer that because nobody knows. There has never been a messenger RNA vaccine before. I’m concerned about long term autoimmune issues developing. I am not an anti vaxxer, never refused a shot in my life. I’d do the J&J which is made from dead Covid like a traditional vaccine but nothing will assuage my fears about mRNA except time.
Certainly, your choice is your own and I hope you will consider getting the J&J shot if that's what you're comfortable with, but I have seen it stated more than once that mRNA vaccines are too new to know what the long-term impact will be and that's not precisely true.

I work in medical research and, first and foremost, even new technology has to undergo some serious evaluation and testing (even in an emergent situation such as COVID) before it can be approved for use. No corners were cut in the approval process of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, no shortcuts were taken. The process was faster than usual because researchers had already built an mRNA platform for cancer and other vaccines under trial. It meant this could be put into action as soon as the genomic sequence of the virus was shared. The results of their clinical trials are solid.

But to address long-term side effects, while it may be true that these vaccines are the first mRNA vaccines to complete all clinical trial stages and be licensed for use, the technology has been around for a while. Human trials of cancer vaccines using the same mRNA technology have been taking place since at least 2011. If there was a real problem with the technology, we’d have seen it before now. And they're closely monitoring that the vaccine does not trigger an unwanted immune response.

Please understand that I completely respect where you're coming from on this and certainly am not trying to talk you into anything, but I also just wanted to address the issue in a larger sense because I feel like there's a lot of misinformation about the technology used in these vaccines out there precisely for the reasons you mentioned -- that there's never been an approved mRNA vaccine used on this scale before. Personally, I find it exciting. This technology will play a huge role in epidemics going forward and save millions of lives.

Bringing my mom for her second Moderna shot this afternoon. I will be relieved when she is fully vaccinated as she has multiple health issues including diabetes and history of stroke. She also has been struggling with a heart issue but surgery in Feb. seems to have been successful.

I get my second Pfizer dose on Saturday. With the first one, I had a sore arm but that was really it. I was very tired on the second day, but it also coincided with daylight savings, so who knows what the bigger factor was.

Most of my family and friends are teachers, first responders, medical etc... so at this point I know many people who have been vaccinated with all 3 vaccines represented. There does not seem to be a particular rhyme or reason to who has symptoms and who doesn't. The most common symptoms have been sore arm and fatigue. A few have had a fever and/ or flu like symptoms typically for less than 24 hours. A couple were in bed for a few days. Even those with the worst symptoms don't come close to those I know who have had the actual virus and I don't know a single person who has regretted getting the vaccine.

Last edited:
Update on Moderna vaccine. Background - I'm a 64 year old woman in good health with a great immune system, I live in Georgia and we opened up to over 55 a little over a week ago, opened to over 16 last week.

Got the shot 8 days ago. Getting the shot was a great experience, where I went they called me in about 2 min. after my appt. time. The nurse was very good and I didn't even feel it. I got the shot around 11:15 am. and by around 2:30 my arm was a little sore and I had a medium headache. Took Tylanol and the headache went away. You could not even see where I got the shot. Did not sleep well night one because I got the shot in the arm on the side I sleep. Day 2, woke up with my arm pretty sore but I moved it a lot, didn't hurt at all unless I tried to lift it over my head. Got slight spasms in the tripcep and bicep of the arm I got the shot in. Still could not see the shot site. Again, by around 2:30 got a headache but that might have been from lack of sleep. Night 2 I slept a little better and found a position I could sleep on that did not hurt the arm. Day 3 only a very slight pain and a small bruise developed just under the shot site (we knew where it was because I have a freckle right above it). Tiny little bruise you could barely see, no more spasms. From there forward arm was fine unless you punched me in it. Today, Day 8, I have developed a raised rash above and below the bruise. Not very big and only itches every once in awhile. Not surprised about this and actually expected it to happen earlier as I bruise and break out if you look at me wrong.

Hubby goes tomorrow to get his first shot. He is going to same place I went so we are assuming it will be Moderna but won't know until he gets it. He is 50 and slightly overweight with a not so great immune system so we will see how it goes for him.

Nobody can answer that because nobody knows. There has never been a messenger RNA vaccine before. I’m concerned about long term autoimmune issues developing. I am not an anti vaxxer, never refused a shot in my life. I’d do the J&J which is made from dead Covid like a traditional vaccine but nothing will assuage my fears about mRNA except time.

J&J is not made like our traditional childhood vaccines either. Read up on it.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is based on the virus’s genetic instructions for building the spike protein. But unlike the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, which store the instructions in single-stranded RNA, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses double-stranded DNA.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine.html

That’s not it if you read my previous post. I just canceled. I had three sleepless nights since they scheduled me. Might now cause me problems at work, but I’d rather deal with that and another employee have the opportunity to get it that otherwise would have had to wait. If I can get the J&J at some point I’ll do it, or if I learn enough about mRNA to get a comfort level I’d consider the others but I am not there.
Do any of the vaccine administers in your area call out specific vaccines they are getting? I know you mentioned Moderna was the one you were originally going to get.

I've very much been on the "you likely won't have a choice" pathway and I still agree with that. That said I know some places have been listing which ones you would get based on an appointment and sometimes particular location is only doing a particular vaccine (like I mentioned with one of the pharmacies here only doing Pfizer right now). I believe right now the clinic where my husband and I got ours is only doing Pfizer though we didn't make the choice based on that our original appointments we didn't know what we would have gotten. The mass vaccination Arrowhead Stadium had everyone knew they were getting J&J those 2 days.

Most places have just been getting what they get so it makes it hard to be too choosy because some weeks they may have Moderna some Pfizer and now J&J trickling in. But maybe it's worth trying to find out if a place was able to get you J&J. I'll be honest J&J hasn't been consistent in the delivery of their doses to places so it's not plentiful right now though they anticipate getting more and more supply soon-ish.

J&J vaccine is NOT made from "dead Covid". Sorry to burst your bubble. It uses an altered adenovirus vector to deliver DNA for the SARS-COV2 spike protein so that it gets made in your own cells.

Additionally, there were no licensed viral vector vaccines in use prior to this one (unless you count the Russian and Indian covid vaccines in use). It is also a new technology.

You can read about all the different vaccine types for Covid here:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00296-021-04792-9
Notably, there has NEVER been a proven link between vaccines of ANY KIND and autoimmune issues developing. In fact, the most likely cause for an autoimmune disorder is INFECTION with a virus. That has been noted for several viruses that we currently vaccinate against. The immune response to the actual pathogen itself can lead to autoimmune issues developing but it has never happened solely as a result of a vaccine.

Knowledge is power. I understand you have some fears and hesitation. That is okay and normal, but at least make sure your fears are based in reality. It seems you have gotten some inaccurate information which can be feeding your anxiety. I hope you can find a way to get to past it and get the shot. I admit, I was wary of Moderna only because of the reports of more severe side effects. Who wants that? I specifically chose a pharmacy delivering Pfizer. Everyone else in my immediate family (parents, sister) got that one and tolerated it well, so that made me feel better about it.

At the end of the day, Covid is more dangerous than the vaccines. That has already been proven.

That’s not it if you read my previous post. I just canceled. I had three sleepless nights since they scheduled me. Might now cause me problems at work, but I’d rather deal with that and another employee have the opportunity to get it that otherwise would have had to wait. If I can get the J&J at some point I’ll do it, or if I learn enough about mRNA to get a comfort level I’d consider the others but I am not there.
Please do look for a J&J one then! My daughter is scheduled for the J&J later this month at a clinic. If its the Mrna concerns then by all means you should do what feels comfortable to you! I think its fantastic that we have options available to us. :)

J&J vaccine is NOT made from "dead Covid". Sorry to burst your bubble. It uses an altered adenovirus vector to deliver DNA for the SARS-COV2 spike protein so that it gets made in your own cells.

Additionally, there were no licensed viral vector vaccines in use prior to this one (unless you count the Russian and Indian covid vaccines in use). It is also a new technology.

You can read about all the different vaccine types for Covid here:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00296-021-04792-9
Notably, there has NEVER been a proven link between vaccines of ANY KIND and autoimmune issues developing. In fact, the most likely cause for an autoimmune disorder is INFECTION with a virus. That has been noted for several viruses that we currently vaccinate against. The immune response to the actual pathogen itself can lead to autoimmune issues developing but it has never happened solely as a result of a vaccine.

Knowledge is power. I understand you have some fears and hesitation. That is okay and normal, but at least make sure your fears are based in reality. It seems you have gotten some inaccurate information which can be feeding your anxiety. I hope you can find a way to get to past it and get the shot. I admit, I was wary of Moderna only because of the reports of more severe side effects. Who wants that? I specifically chose a pharmacy delivering Pfizer. Everyone else in my immediate family (parents, sister) got that one and tolerated it well, so that made me feel better about it.

At the end of the day, Covid is more dangerous than the vaccines. That has already been proven.

Great, you talked me out of that one too!

I work for the DoD and am stuck in Italy. I don’t have freedom of movement or have any options really.

Frankly, I’m prepared to walk away from this job, move to the country and lock myself away from this world.

I work for the DoD and am stuck in Italy. I don’t have freedom of movement or have any options really.

Frankly, I’m prepared to walk away from this job, move to the country and lock myself away from this world.
I am sorry you are feeling so down and out by all of this. I do hope you see better days soon. And hopefully as time goes on you either will be comfortable not being vaccinated, or see many other people getting it and decide that you are OK with getting it. Whatever happens I do hope you find some peace. :)

DoD's a rough one - working there and being overseas, you're almost certain to get stuck in a "vaccine required" status, even if just to ever get a plane ride back to the states.

If it helps, since you are DoD, you get 1st hand experience that life is about risk/reward. As of now, the risk of getting the vaccine is infinitesimal compared to the risk of getting moderate-to-severe Covid unless you're under 10 years old...

Got my first Moderna shot about an hour ago. I'll be sure to update about any side effects over the next couple of days. DH had his two days ago and other than a sore arm (getting better each day), he only had a slight headache that first day.

Did not sleep well night one because I got the shot in the arm on the side I sleep.

I had my first shingles vaccine about 7-8 weeks ago and the amount of pain from that shot was ridiculous. Couldn't sleep on that side (which is the side on sleep on) for a week. I specifically asked them to use the other arm today.

Update on my lymph nodes. They are still slightly swollen and way less painful then they were a few days ago. I assume they will be almost gone/unnoticeable by the weekend. (This was in response to Pfizer shot #1.)
It took about five days for my lymph node pain to subside

Got my first Moderna shot about an hour ago. I'll be sure to update about any side effects over the next couple of days. DH had his two days ago and other than a sore arm (getting better each day), he only had a slight headache that first day.

I had my first shingles vaccine about 7-8 weeks ago and the amount of pain from that shot was ridiculous. Couldn't sleep on that side (which is the side on sleep on) for a week. I specifically asked them to use the other arm today.

It gets worse with the 2nd Shingles shot. Another series that is TOTALLY worth it, but damn - the side effects from that series DWARF the ones I've experience so far with Pfizer...

Got my first Moderna shot about 4.5 hours ago!

For background - I’m upper 30s with no co-morbidities. My arm is already quite sore. We’ll see what happens!

My husband got his first Moderna shot yesterday. He is lower 40s with no co-morbidities. He is reporting a sore arm and some fatigue. Sounds similar to others I’ve talked to.

I’m so thankful for this vaccine and hope it will eventually bring the pandemic to an end.

I’ll report back tomorrow with how I’m feeling.

ETA: They gave me v-safe information when I got my vaccine, so I’ll look into that.

It gets worse with the 2nd Shingles shot. Another series that is TOTALLY worth it, but damn - the side effects from that series DWARF the ones I've experience so far with Pfizer...

I've heard! I was supposed to get the 2nd dose at my routine internist appointment in a few weeks, but it's the day after my 2nd Covid vaccine, so that won't be happening now. I know you're supposed to wait 2-6 months between shingles doses and I'll probably push it closer to 5 months now.

You sound like you might need a therapist. This kind of anxiety is not normal. Good luck. If I were in Italy right now, there would be nothing stopping me from getting a vaccine. You are lucky to have the option.

I've heard! I was supposed to get the 2nd dose at my routine internist appointment in a few weeks, but it's the day after my 2nd Covid vaccine, so that won't be happening now. I know you're supposed to wait 2-6 months between shingles doses and I'll probably push it closer to 5 months now.

Yeah, I finished Shingles before I started the Covid series - you have to wait at least 2 weeks post Shingles series...and I'm assuming you have to do the same with the Covid series...

I mean, I thought my 1st side effects for Shingrix were bad...then my arm for the next one - it was on fire for days (I was taking Ibu every 4 hours), and I had about every other symptom - fever, nausea, lower GI, chills, aches/pains, enormous fatigue...and of course, not all at once - I'd say it was 5 days before I was "better" of all symptoms...

Do any of the vaccine administers in your area call out specific vaccines they are getting? I know you mentioned Moderna was the one you were originally going to get.

Here in NY the appointments are labeled so you know which one you're signing up for. On the state-run site it's labeled by location. When I checked CVS, it was labeled by appointment since CVS gets all three types of the vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter