• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you tried the Impossible Burger or any of the other Impossible Foods products?

Today it was announced that all the Canadian Restaurant Brands International corporate stores and franchises, which include Tim Horton's, Burger King & Popeye's, are discontinuing all Beyond Meat menu items immediately. They state that while they may bring items back or develop new items in the future, the low demand for plant-based alternatives have been very low.
Is this just Canada? I can’t find much on it.

I hope that Burger King in the US keeps its Impossible Whopper. Lent is coming up, and as a rule I do not eat fast food fish sandwiches.

Today it was announced that all the Canadian Restaurant Brands International corporate stores and franchises, which include Tim Horton's, Burger King & Popeye's, are discontinuing all Beyond Meat menu items immediately. They state that while they may bring items back or develop new items in the future, the low demand for plant-based alternatives have been very low.
Thank god. Hopefully this will happen I’m the US too. I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years and the popularity of these fake meat products are starting to creep into everyday Restaurants. While I am fine with places adding them as an additional option, I am not ok with them replacing the non meat tasting vegetarian options.

I hope that Burger King in the US keeps its Impossible Whopper. Lent is coming up, and as a rule I do not eat fast food fish sandwiches.
I hope so too, for all your sakes. I think it tastes disgusting and purely tastes like chemicals and nothing edible. I don't want to take away the choices of other though.

Now if the powers that be were to force it upon everyone, now we have a fight on our hands because I do my best not to eat chemicals.

I tried the Impossible Burger. It was OK, it looked like and had the texture of a meat burger. The burger itself didn't have much flavor but the condiments gave it basically the same basic taste. I think it is good for someone that really doesn't want to eat any meat as it helps one blend in with everyone else. Going to Burger King isn't exactly the place the non-meat eaters congregate. I was kind of impressed that it did give the feeling of a real burger and even the tasted since condiments play such a large roll in what a burger tastes like. For me, a meat eater, it was not worth the extra cost.

Thank god. Hopefully this will happen I’m the US too. I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years and the popularity of these fake meat products are starting to creep into everyday Restaurants. While I am fine with places adding them as an additional option, I am not ok with them replacing the non meat tasting vegetarian options.

I'd say... just don't order them? I'm also a vegetarian and am happy that there are fast food and chain-restaurant options for me out there that taste a bit more palatable than a "black bean burger" which I hate. I'll agree with you that they can have both, but I don't want to seem them get rid of them.

Everything you eat is chemicals.

You drink some concentrated Ghost pepper sauce and I'll drink some H2O. I mean seeing as how everything you eat is chemicals it's all good right?
Or you could just recall that not all chemical substances are the same.

Last edited:

I really liked the Impossible Burger and plan on trying to eat more plant-based options. The Impossible Burger was the first (and only) plant-based party that I actually enjoyed. Yeah, a lot of it is condiments and the way it’s cooked, but I still preferred it over other patties I’ve tried.

It’s good to have options.

I looked up the nutrition profile and ingredients and actual ground beef is healthier! This is a ultra processed product full of calories and fat and not really any actual nutrition. It lacks the vitamins and iron of beef.

That's what gets me about it. If I'm consciously going to cut down on beef, I'm probably doing it at least in part for health reasons... and something that is supposed to taste like beef but be worse for you kind of misses the mark. I get the environmental argument for plant-based alternatives but I don't think lowering our environmental impact at the expense of human health is likely to be a net positive.

I wonder if they'll follow suit here in the states. Our local BK was out of the Impossible burgers every time I thought about ordering one, but then I stumbled across the nutritional info and lost interest so I don't know if the demand has kept up or if the novelty has started to wane. I'm not generally fond of meat substitutes so I doubt I'm missing anything; if I'm going to eat a meatless meal, I'd rather just get veggies that taste like veggies, not something masquerading as meat.

I'd say... just don't order them? I'm also a vegetarian and am happy that there are fast food and chain-restaurant options for me out there that taste a bit more palatable than a "black bean burger" which I hate. I'll agree with you that they can have both, but I don't want to seem them get rid of them.
Different strokes. I LOVE black bean burgers. Like I said, I would be happy if they just added the fake meat products for people who enjoy them but that is not what a lot of restaurants are doing. They are removing the black bean burger and replacing it with items that a lot of us can’t stomach.
I don’t eat fast food often so I don’t have much skin in this particular game but my concern is that this trend will make its way into sit down places. Look at Disney world. They removed 95% of the very very few vegetarian items and replaced them with vegan plant based meaty tasting items. we are now forced to find off property restaurants So far, Disney is the only place I have had this problem.

For health reasons I try to eat a largely plant based diet........ I cheat a lot though. I had a Beyond Burger and it was......ok. it did mimic a beef burger more than anything else I have tried but the purpose of the plant based diet for me is to be ultra low fat and a lot of these meat substitutes have as much, or more, fat than regular meat so at that point I may as well just get regular meat.

I really like a good black bean burger.

The news yesterday didn’t mention anything other than the Canadian situation. I’m not sure if the parent company controls all the Burger Kings worldwide but since menus vary widely from place to place, I’d imagine they’ll keep selling it wherever people keep buying it. The demand just fell dramatically here apparently, after the initial hype. I’m not sure how well the products are doing at other chain places. A&W went big into advertising theirs and it’s still available AFAIK.

The news yesterday didn’t mention anything other than the Canadian situation. I’m not sure if the parent company controls all the Burger Kings worldwide but since menus vary widely from place to place, I’d imagine they’ll keep selling it wherever people keep buying it. The demand just fell dramatically here apparently, after the initial hype. I’m not sure how well the products are doing at other chain places. A&W went big into advertising theirs and it’s still available AFAIK.

Do you have a link? I found an article saying that Tim Hortons is stopping but that Subway in Canada signed on. Also Impossible is Burger King, McDonald’s is the one that was testing Beyond Meat.

I wonder if they'll follow suit here in the states. Our local BK was out of the Impossible burgers every time I thought about ordering one, but then I stumbled across the nutritional info and lost interest so I don't know if the demand has kept up or if the novelty has started to wane. I'm not generally fond of meat substitutes so I doubt I'm missing anything; if I'm going to eat a meatless meal, I'd rather just get veggies that taste like veggies, not something masquerading as meat.

I saw an article the other day saying that BK was dropping their pricing on Impossible Burger Whoppers because after the initial launch died down, so did overall demand for the product.

Who goes to a fast food chain like Burger King or Tim Hortons for healthy food? I really don't understand all of the "it's so unhealthy!!" sentiment when these places are full of factory farmed animal meat pumped with antibiotics and synthetic hormones. Deep fried everything. I don't think anyone was going into this thinking it was a healthy alternative .. maybe just a more ethical or less disgusting one?
I'm completely done with Tim's after it's been at the top of Canada's pollution list year after year and done virtually nothing to create a recyclable cup. So I have no real investment here. But it doesn't really surprise me that a huge profit wasn't generated .. people generally don't care.

Who goes to a fast food chain like Burger King or Tim Hortons for healthy food? I really don't understand all of the "it's so unhealthy!!" sentiment when these places are full of factory farmed animal meat pumped with antibiotics and synthetic hormones. Deep fried everything. I don't think anyone was going into this thinking it was a healthy alternative .. maybe just a more ethical or less disgusting one?

I won't say I go for healthy food, but I do try to make "less bad" choices when I stop for fast food. And usually vegetarian choices are less unhealthy than the red meat choices, so it was a bit surprising to see that this was an exception to that rule. But perhaps it shouldn't have been. The engineered fillers and texturizers used to replace fat and sugar and other natural unhealthiness tend to be even worse than the real thing, so it does make a sort of sense that the engineered meat replacement might also be worse than the actual meat.

As far as "factory farmed animal meat pumped with antibiotics and synthetic hormones", that's just the hard reality of our food system. I think most meat-eaters have made at least some degree of peace with all of that (mine is that I avoid it at home, but won't agonize over it when I'm dining out).

People with families who want to go to places like BK or Tim Hortons but also want to try to eat healthier?
Fair enough. However that doesn’t explain why everyone expected the Beyond or Impossible menu additions to be “healthy”. There was a large outcry about how it wasn’t healthy , which I found ironic given the relative acceptance that nothing else on the menu was healthy. I can absolutely see wanting healthy options , I don’t know why it was assumed Beyond or Impossible would be that option when it wasn’t marketed as such.

I saw an article the other day saying that BK was dropping their pricing on Impossible Burger Whoppers because after the initial launch died down, so did overall demand for the product.

2 for $6.00 is what I read for Impossible B. McD's announced 2 for $5.00 on burger choices

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter