Healthy Cooking 2/28: Crockpot Cooking

Hi Everyone!

It's the last day of February and while spring may be around the corner, the season is just right for some crockpot cooking. Nothing like coming home to a house to a hot meal after work, hockey practice, dancing school, or whatever else you do.

I use my crockpot (aka slow cooker) year round. It's great in the summer for roasting a chicken. You don't heat up the house and it basically cooks itself. It's a terrific timesaver for me as a full time working mom. I can start it before I leave in the morning and return home to a wonderful smelling house...and it takes just minutes to get it from the counter to the table! WOOHOO!!!

Of all the kitchen gadgets and appliances I own, this is one of my top 3. I gladly got rid of my food processor but you'd have to kill me to get my crockpot! Anyway, before we get to the recipes, here's some information to keep in mind as you use this great appliance.

• You can you assemble the ingredients and refrigerate until morning. Most recipes will withstand pre-assembly. But you may find you need extra cooking time because the insert and ingredients are colder than they normally would be.

• Root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips) take longer to cook in slow cookers than other ingredients. Make sure to place them on the bottom or sides of the pot where they can be covered with liquid and ensure they’ll come in contact with the primary heat source. Remember…always layer the ingredients as specified in the recipe to ensure proper cooking.

• Don’t worry if you use a cheaper cut of meat. The way slow cookers work (low moist heat), even the cheapest and toughest cuts of meat can be transformed into fork-tender cuts.

• Some recipes call for one hour at high heat to start. This is to help discourage bacteria growth while the slow cooker gets to its cooking temperature. You can do this if you’d like, just reduce the total number of hours on low heat by at least 1 hour.

Here are a few recipes for the crockpot/slow cooker users who are trying to maintain healthy lifestyle choices. As always, for those on WW (me, me!) I've included the point values as well as the standard nutrition listings for those using low-carbo and/or low-fat eating plans.

Garlic Rosemary Chicken
A great alternative – both in taste and cost -- to the deli counter pre-made roaster.
Makes 8 servings (3 oz. of chicken, 2 garlic cloves, 1 celery piece and 1 onion wedge)

A 5 lb roasting chicken, skin removed
2 rosemary sprigs (5 inches long)
2 celery stalks with leaves, cut into 4 pieces
2 small onions, quartered
16 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp paprika

1. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken.
2. Rinse chicken under cold water, pat dry, remove skin, and trim excess fat.
3. Place 2 rosemary sprigs, celery, 4 onion wedges, and 4 garlic cloves in the cavity. Tie legs together with twine.
4. Place chicken, breast up, in the slow cooker.
5. Add remaining onion and garlic to the cooker.
6. Drizzle lemon juice over the chicken and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.
7. Cover with lid and cook on low for at least 7-8 hours or until the chicken is tender.
8. Discard the rosemary. Serve with vegetables and garlic.

4 points per serving (WW)
181 calories • 6.4g total fat • 1.8g saturated fat • 76mg cholesterol • 233mg sodium • 4.5g total carbohydrates • 0.7g fiber • 25.4g protein • 33mg calcium

Apricot Glazed Turkey with Sweet Potatoes
Makes 6 servings (3 oz. of turkey, 2/3 cup sweet potatoes, ¼ cup liquid/sauce)

6 cups cubed, peeled sweet potatoes (1 inch cubes – approx. 1 ¾ lbs)
1 cup apricot preserves, divided in half
½ tsp salt, divided in half
2 bay leaves
2 ¾ lb. Turkey tenderloins

1. Place sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup of preserves, and ¼ salt into the slow cooker. Toss well.
2. Add bay leaves.
3. Arrange the turkey over the potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ tsp of salt.
4. Spread remaining ½ cup of preserves over tenderloin.
5. Cover and cook on low heat for at least 8-9 hours or until turkey and potatoes are tender.
6. Discard bay leaves.
7. Serve with potatoes and cooking liquid.

7 points per serving (WW)
357 calories • 1.1g total fat • 0.3g saturated fat • 82mg cholesterol • 278mg sodium • 56.2g total carbohydrates • 2.3g fiber • 31.5g protein • 42mg calcium

Maple-Hazelnut Oatmeal
Hectic mornings? Wake up to terrific aromas and a hot breakfast.
Makes 4 servings (1 ¼ cup oatmeal, 1 tbsp syrup, and 1 ½ tsp hazelnuts)

1 ½ cups fat-free milk
1 ½ cups water
2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes (approx. 3 cups)
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats (e.g., McCann’s Irish oatmeal)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp butter, softened
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
Cooking spray (e.g., PAM)
¼ cup real maple syrup
2 tbsp chopped hazelnuts, toasted

1. Bring milk and water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
2. Coat slow cooker “pot” or insert with cooking spray
3. Place hot milk mixture, apple, oats, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt into a 3 ½ quart slow cooker. Stir well.
4. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours or until oats are tender.
5. Spoon into bowls and top with maple syrup and nuts.

7 points per serving (WW)
363 calories • 9.7g total fat • 3.4g saturated fat • 13mg cholesterol • 242mg sodium • 63.8g total carbohydrates • 5.6g fiber • 9.3g protein • 161mg calcium

Shellfish Stew
Also known as Cioppino, an Italian fish stew
Makes 6 servings (1 ¾ cups)

1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped celery
1 ½ cups diced green bell pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (10-ounces each) of diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
1 bottle (8-ounces) of clam juice
1 can (6-ounces) tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
1 ¼ lbs little neck clams scrubbed (approx. 24)
1 lb large shrimp, peeled
½ firm white fish fillet (grouper or other fillet), cut into 1-inch cubes
½ lb lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed

1. Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, celery, green peppers and garlic and saute until vegetables are tender.
3. Place mixture in slow cooker.
4. Add tomatoes, clam juice, tomato paste, white wine, vinegar, thyme, and red pepper. Stir well.
5. Cover and cook for 6 hours at low heat.
6. After 6 hours, increase to high heat.
7. Add clams. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
8. Add shrimp, fish, and crab meat.
9. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until clams open.
10. Discard any unopened shells and serve.

5 points per serving (WW)
259 calories • 4.6g total fat • 0.7g saturated fat • 162mg cholesterol • 809mg sodium • 19.4g total carbohydrates • 4.6g fiber • 34.9g protein • 148mg calcium

Carmelized Onions
Great as a side dish, served on top of hamburgers or to make Onion Soup. Refrigerate for 2 weeks or store in freezer for up to 2 months.
Makes 12 servings (1/4 cup)

2 extra large sweet onions (approx. 3 lbs.), peeled
1 can (10 ½ ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
¼ cup butter, cut into small pieces

1. Cut onions in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into ½ inch slices.
2. Place onions, broth and butter into a 3 ½ quart slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on high heat for 8 hours or until onions are golden, stiring at 4 hours.
4. Store in an airtight container.

2 points per serving (WW)
79 calories • 4.1g total fat • 2.5g saturated fat • 10mg cholesterol • 132mg sodium • 9.9g total carbohydrates • 2.0g fiber • 1.6g protein • 24mg calcium

I hope you enjoy making and eating these recipes. Let me know what you think of them. Or share some of your favorites with us. Currently on the Community Board there is a slow cooker recipe thread. I haven't calculated the points on them but they sure look tasty!!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166124&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Have a great week!
Jeanne

Thanks Jeanne!

You might want to post a link on the CB crockpot thread to route some lookers here!

They sounds really great!;)

I do a similar version of your chicken recipe only I use 2 balls of aluminum foil bunched up on the bottom of the slow cooker and then sit the chicken on it so the chicken is "raised" up and not sitting in all the fat.;)

Thanks for posting these and hopefully other folks can add to this???:D

1 48 oz can of V8
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 10 oz can corn
2 cans Rotel tomatoes
1/2 pound 96% FF ground beef
1 pack Taco Bell seasoning
Hot sauce (as much as u want)

Brown and drain beef
Put everything in a crockpot for a few hours.
Makes about 12 1 cup servings

2 WW points/cup.

I make this all the time. :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter