Heartbreaking news...a big reminder to be aware of wildlife on property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh they will settle. They would do anything to ensure that this does not keep coming into the news. The idea of daily reporting on a trial involving this, or even every few months an update for a court appearance or filing in the case would be worth tens of millions in lost revenue and reputation damage. We shall never hear of this again.
That obviously doesn't address their potential culpability in reality, but I know that's not the point you're making.

If the family chooses not to settle, Disney wouldn't have a choice, though. Not saying they would or wouldn't do that. I can't imagine they're thinking about that now.

You know there are more current photos showing people RIGHT at water's edge. Also potentially dangerous. Less egregious but still probably not so wise. I'm not blaming, nor splitting hairs. They should inform consumers about the risk. Like many other locations do with clear signs. That's all I've been saying. Seems odd for that to be controversial at this point.
I do know that? That Disney has taken and distributed photos of people actually IN the water at their "beaches"?What else do I know? Again, I'm not joining the debate about where fault lies, or what Disney should have done or should do. Perhaps they should have better signs - but your way of "proving" that borders on the ridiculous. I get that this has been very upsetting for so many, including myself. I currently have a two-year-old. But take a step back for a minute - you're beginning to make very little sense and are coming across as bordering on hysterical. At the very least, use better logic.

Disney's advertising is pretty well known amongst fans for being deceptive, no? Not to say that in this situation it's not going to be legally used against them, but isn't it something that fans have poked fun at for years?

There is a tiny little thought in the back of my mind wondering if it is possible that maybe gator monitoring and removal has seen some cutbacks. There, I said it.

Have they said the lengths of the gators they caught? I just can't help but wonder since nothing like this has ever happened, or even any close calls that I know of. Sweet Lane wasn't doing anything others haven't done thousands of times before him, IMO.

I don't think so but what I do think has happened based on my own personal observance while at Disney, more people are feeding the gators. It is against the law and extremely dangerous as what happens is they loose their natural fear of humans and see that location as a feeding spot.

You would not believe how many people I have asked nicely to not feed the gators and why, only for them to tell me to stick my advice and leave them alone.

Disney needs signs that say it is illegal to feed them and when people do they need to call the authorities on them.

And if u read what ppl are saying, they aren't blaming the sign alone. They are simply stating that a sign alerting guests about alligators would HELP.
Along with judgment to stay away...sadly we have become a society of blame. We have to have instructions for everything now, we cannot use our common sense and better judgment anymore...why, because no one told us :( the light is green but I see a car approaching from the opposite direction that has a red and doesn't look like it's going to stop. Do I view the light as green and go, or do I use my better judgment and wait to see if the other car stops. ... BANG an accident happened. ..but I had a green light :(

I was SO ready to bail on this thread, but the thought that Disney might not have heeded warnings from CMs that gators were being fed is really upsetting to me. I hope it doesn't end up being true.

Ok. Replace Milwaukee with Sheboygan in my post, my point still stands. Except for the part about me growing up there. lol

Gotcha, the point you were making about wildlife being limited to very specific areas and how people don't need to be aware of animals that may be nearby? This would again be because animals know where they are supposed to be?

Yes, I see the white sandy beaches...and nothing about pristine blue waters to cool down in. I do see swimming not allowed. Which is their way to promote the "sand" and stay out of the water but unfortunately not all are reading it that way....Beach POOL thats where the water is for going into. When a storm hits and there is beach erosion, are they talking water or sand? They mean sand....sandy beaches is sand, not water

It does say "tranquil lagoon." My point is only that Disney intentionally marketed a tropical paradise complete with white sandy beaches (not Florida swampland), so I can understand some guests' confusion and think that additional warnings are necessary.

On a slightly different note, I just read an article that said Universal Studios (which also has resorts with non-swimming "beaches" and photos of people right at the shoreline) does not have alligators because the water is not connected to any water outside the US complex and alligators would have to cross busy roads and commercial areas. Is that enough to stop the alligators if the population is increasing and their land is decreasing?

Gotcha, the point you were making about wildlife being limited to very specific areas and how people don't need to be aware of animals that may be nearby? This would again be because animals know where they are supposed to be?
No, that's not what I said. My point was in most places in the US, wildlife stays away from heavily populated areas, and in most places in the US, you wouldn't be expected to know about the wildlife that you would find in the state's wilderness areas if you were visiting the city. If an animal, even a dangerous one, normally found only in the wilderness is seen in a city, it's an exception and a tourist wouldn't be faulted for being surprised to see one there. Apparently alligators are an exception, as they are found both in the wilderness and found in heavily populated areas. Many of us did not know that, as it's not part of our experience when it comes to wildlife.

I was SO ready to bail on this thread, but the thought that Disney might not have heeded warnings from CMs that gators were being fed is really upsetting to me. I hope it doesn't end up being true.

I'm sure it is true.

For some reason, Disney does not like to rock the boat. They let their guests run wild for the most part. They rarely do anything about line cutters, violent guests, confrontation between guests, etc. It seems they do not want to upset anyone, even if someone is doing something dangerous to others, even if someone's actions are upsetting to many other guests. It has to be something really clear cut and obvious for them to do something. Such as this incident.

They did nothing about the other sightings, did nothing about the incident two months ago.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if they just ignored this due to statistics saying it is unlikely to happen. It is a small risk, not going to disagree with that, but not one I would personally take in their shoes, in a family oriented theme park that claims dreams come true there. But perhaps I have better common sense than Disney, despite not having the common sense to know that there were many alligators in those beaches.

In fact, a bear being seen in Sheboygan proves my point. It's so out of the norm that it made the news. Why would a tourist take bear precautions when visiting Sheboygan?

I'll just leave this here:

The Walt Disney World Resort was aware of an ongoing problem of guests feeding alligators and had ignored staff requests to put protective fences in place, TheWrap has learned.

Numerous employees at the theme park expressed anxiety to management about guests feeding the animals within the past 14 months, an insider with knowledge of the resort told TheWrap.

I will say that I am one who thinks the "No Swimming" signs were adequate and I do not expect Disney to exclude all wildlife from the area and such. If the above article is true though, then the feeding of gators has become a problem and they absolutely needed to address that. It's not only bad for the guests, it's bad for the gators. CMs should be instructed to ask that people stop feeding the alligators, and perhaps literature or signage should be placed where appropriate. They have signs saying not to feed the birds in the parks.

I wonder why the gator feeding has only become a problem in the last couple of years though. Is it the building of these bungalows out on the water? I don't know, but it was absolutely Disney's responsibility to handle it, whether or not it had a direct impact on this incident.

Last edited:
In fact, a bear being seen in Sheboygan proves my point. It's so out of the norm that it made the news. Why would a tourist take bear precautions when visiting Sheboygan?

And alligators are so common in Florida that they don't make the news every time one is spotted at Disney World.

First off, if you are honest with yourself and you are a frequent visitor to these forums, you know as well as I do, that BEFORE this happened if Disney had come down hard with Warning Signs and fines for feeding the gators, there would have been a huge outcry about how they "ruined" their magical vacation.

I don't think Disney has been negligent and I don't think they have ignored comments about guest feeding the gators. I think with money the media can always find an employee willing to make their employer out to be the bad guy.

I think they just try too hard to please everyone and that is not possible. I think they need to come down harder on those that can't abide by signs and laws and remove them from the property before they are hurt.

Put the signs up that say Gators and Snakes and Amoebas in the water, Stay Out, and anyone that does not obey is asked to leave. Same with feeding the wildlife.

*This comment is based on other comments in this discussion and what can be done going forward and has nothing to do directly to the loss of the little boy, which has saddened me as much as anyone.

I never said anyone was dumb or that posting signs was horrible. I am asking honest questions here. What needs to be warned about on the signs, where and with what frequency do they need to be posted?

No one seems to want to answer these questions. There's a lot of comments saying more signs and alert about the alligators, but the alligators are not the only danger when spending time at Disneyworld.

Never meant u said ppl were dumb.

I agree alligators are not just at Disney. But as a tourist I expect to see alligators if I visit swampland. I did not realize inside a resort was an option. So in my opinion, Disney should post a sign by any one water where guests frequent. And yes, sea world, universal, Busch should as well.

It's not Disney and it's not the parent's fault a gator attacked. The family did make the choice to enter the water at night....that was their choice. Maybe they didn't think a gator could be in there, who knows. Msybe they felt they weren't in deep enough to be attacked, who knows. It was a tragic accident and accidents sometimes aren't anyone's "fault". Maybe better choices could have been made and that is where judgment plays a part...dark waters, dark outside. ..gator or not could anything be seen in that water at night?

Sorry but sounds like u r 100% blaming parents without coming out and saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter