Heartbreaking news...a big reminder to be aware of wildlife on property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly! Alligators are different from bears. And many of us from out of town did not know that. We do now.

It doesn't change the fact that both are wild animals that can pose a threat to humans. Disney, like virtually every other place, including Milwaukee, is not in bubble. Wild animals and snakes come and go as they please. I honestly don't see the harm in doing a quick search for local wildlife when planning a trip, but it seems most people don't share that view.

It doesn't change the fact that both are wild animals that can pose a threat to humans. Disney, like virtually every other place, including Milwaukee, is not in bubble. Wild animals and snakes come and go as they please. I honestly don't see the harm in doing a quick search for local wildlife when planning a trip, but it seems most people don't share that view.
Maybe that'll change after this and more people will do that search. I know I'll be paying more attention in the future.

Along with judgment to stay away...sadly we have become a society of blame. We have to have instructions for everything now, we cannot use our common sense and better judgment anymore...why, because no one told us :( the light is green but I see a car approaching from the opposite direction that has a red and doesn't look like it's going to stop. Do I view the light as green and go, or do I use my better judgment and wait to see if the other car stops. ... BANG an accident happened. ..but I had a green light :(

Disagree. U have all the information when making the choice to go through that green light or not. What is being said here is that ppl are unaware of how big a threat gators are. Being aware that gators live in Florida is not the same as fully grasping that they can and will get anywhere. And that I should expect that if there is water, there is a gator. 10 trips to Disney and I never saw one nor did I know it was a very real possibility. I would've assumed it was very very rare. Had I had known ( by reading a sign) , I could've used my knowledge and judgement to make better, safer choices. I'm glad that on future trips I now have this knowledge. I'm sure these parents wished they had it a few nights ago.

For some reason, Disney does not like to rock the boat. They let their guests run wild for the most part. They rarely do anything about line cutters, violent guests, confrontation between guests, etc. It seems they do not want to upset anyone, even if someone is doing something dangerous to others, even if someone's actions are upsetting to many other guests. It has to be something really clear cut and obvious for them to do something. Such as this incident.

This is the true span of Disney's negligence. I really do wonder what will come out of all of this. Disney can put signs up until the end of time but people will always think it doesn't apply to them. There are tons of signs saying not to feed the animals and without fail every trip I have seen people doing just that. Same with flash photography, same with smoking in non-designated areas, and so on and so forth.

Disney can make all the rules they want but without the enforcement of said rules it is all pointless. Yet, it cannot be expected that an employee is present 100% of the time to make sure people are doing what they are supposed to be doing. But I bet, based on my personal observations, that if a CM says to a family "please keep your child away from the water, it's dangerous" less than 50% of the time will the family remove the child from the situation and the rest of the time the responses would range from "it's ok, my child is fine, I'm watching him/her" to a blatant "no."

So only the guests at the deluxe level resorts deserve wildlife patrol on the shore? The rest of the schlubs at CBR, or POFQ, or AoA, or anywhere else that has water (i.e. everywhere on property) should know better? Or...?

Yes that's exactly what I said... :sad2:Honestly. "Beaches" and "movie nights" so if said resorts have said events on beaches then Disney should... The key term being beaches and events... Not any body of water

My mindset in life is to be informed and knowledgable about as many things as possible, especially when it comes to things that impact me directly. I wish more people shared that mindset.

So what exactly should one be researching exactly? Should one google a list of causes of death and serious injury and then google each one, one by one to see if they are a concern at their vacation destination? Are there bears at Disney, are there sharks Disney, are there killer owls at Disney? are there anacondas at Disney? Are there brain eating amoebas at Disney? Does Disney have earthquakes? Does Disney had sinkholes?

Come on....

It's not as easy to research about a threat you do not even know exists and is not that well publicized by Florida residents because to them it is common sense and a part of life.

I moved to a different country not too long ago and actually specifically researched about wildlife and whether there was anything life threatening that I could encounter in my yard or out on the streets such as poisonous snakes, spiders, etc that I should be concerned about and even then I found very limited information. I'm sure there's something I'm missing because it's impossible to know everything. I cannot imagine how a person who lives in a completely different environment would know what to search for.

If this is so obvious and common sense it should at the very least be on Disney's website. They warn you about many other less serious and obvious things there, why not this if it's so prevalent?

You do not have a superior mindset just because you happen to be knowledgeable about some things that others are not. There are many things you surely know nothing about and that is obvious to many other people and that doesn't make them superior to you either. It's impossible to be informed about everything. People have very different upbringings and life experiences. What is obvious to one person will not be for another and that does not make anyone smarter or more ignorant than anyone else.

Disney already warns you about many obvious things that will hardly harm you, such as "you may get wet" in SPLASH Mountain. Among other silly things. Now with alligators they take a chance, go figure

Perhaps because they own and operate splash mountain.

They neither own nor operate the native wildlife.

You seem extremely misinformed about that case. The woman suffered third-degree burns in her pelvic region when she accidentally spilled hot coffee in her lap after purchasing it from a McDonald's restaurant. She had permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years.

That case involved 3rd degree burns and an 8-day hospital stay.

Yes, I do know that. A friend of mine was actually a paralegal for her defense. ..my point is the coffee was hot, when you purchase hot coffee, it's hot. I would expect to be burned , however not that bad. That was a fluke. Due to that, they now have that wording on their cups

It was not a fluke. McDonalds ignored several warnings to lower the temperature of their coffee. It was not served hot. It was served SCALDING hot. The spilled coffee was so hot that it actually fused the woman's clothing to her skin. People continue to use this lawsuit as an example for nuisance lawsuits and needless warnings, but nothing could be further from the truth.

There is a tiny little thought in the back of my mind wondering if it is possible that maybe gator monitoring and removal has seen some cutbacks. There, I said it.

Have they said the lengths of the gators they caught? I just can't help but wonder since nothing like this has ever happened, or even any close calls that I know of. Sweet Lane wasn't doing anything others haven't done thousands of times before him, IMO.

This unthinkable thought occurred to me, too. Especially as I'm seeing news stories coming out about CM's advising management people that the alligator situation was escalating. I hope these stories aren't true. That would be a terrible burden to carry for someone who failed to act on information. This whole incident is just beyond sad. Really, as a parent, it's just hard to grasp. I think that's why this thread is so "volatile." We're all hurting about our "happy place." Prayers to all.

Why do a lot people seem to put the responsibility of knowing something about their own personal safety onto someone else?

Onto someone else? I thought we all learned things from someone else. The human race only came this far because we all help each other and look out for each other for the most part. No one is 100% self sufficient and self reliant. You put your health in other people's hands, you put your children, you education, you life in other people's hands constantly. The only reason you know about anything is because of someone else who warned you or taught you about it or gave you an example of what not do do. No one is born knowing everything there is to know without help from anyone.

I agree that some people are very careless and think nothing can happen to them and that's unfortunate. But that is a minority, not the norm or humans would have been extinct by now.

My mindset in life is to be informed and knowledgable about as many things as possible, especially when it comes to things that impact me directly. I wish more people shared that mindset.

OMG, my spouse and I had this conversation last night. My take on this is, first and foremost it is my responsibility to know as much as I can about where I travel in order to keep myself and family safe. I could not travel otherwise.

Just waiting to see how long before the beaches won't exist anymore... I predict fencing of some sort to keep people out of the water.

Again, I applaud u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter