Help with Discovery cove questions...?

aimcat

Mouseketeer
We have never done this but about everything else that orlando offers. Is this worth doing? We were thinking of doing just the day resort and not the dolphin swim to save money. We are just wondering if its super great...? We have snorkeled before in the bahamas and virgin islands. Love to snorkel though. My husband cant swim too good....is the water really deep? How is it for someone that cant swim well? Is it very crowded? Also it says it includes Sea world admission is that correct?

Discovery Cove is absolutely worth it. If you guys like snorkeling you'll love this, you're guarenteed to see lots of stuff! The dolphins are fantastic and the other animals are just as great.

It can be busy, but there's only a certain amount of people allowed in per day, so it will never be ridiculous like Disney can be, nor will you ever have to worry about the park closing due to capacity.

The park itself is lush and gorgeous. You can forget you're in central Florida when you go in. There's lot of stuff besides the dolphins, and the dolphins can be a small (but great) part of your day. There's a large aviary where you can feed lots of types of birds, a stingray pool where you can pet cownose rays, the coral reef for snorkeling which has loads of fish and some larger types of rays as well as a "normal pool" that looks nothing like a normal pool. The grand reef is due to open soon too.

Your day would go something like this:

You arrive at the park and check in, and are issued an id card which will tell you which dolphin pool you're at and what time your swim is. Dolphin swims are first come first serve. There's a breakfast served in the morning which is nice to take advantage of. They recently switched from a continental breakfast to a hot breakfast. You'll be directed to the wetsuit station and lockers. You MUST wear a form of wetsuit while in the water in any of the animal pools. There's a few styles to choose from, a full length wetsuit, a "shorty" suit that would come to your knees and elbows, and a vest. There's lockers to use, and you'll be given a key to yours and they're free for the day. Nearby there's a changing room/bathroom where you can change and pick up your towels. You'll also be given a mesh bag with goggles and a snorker (you get to keep the snorkel). After that you're pretty much free to roam the park. There's no set schedule or tour to follow, but you must be there for your dolphin swim time because if you miss it, you will not be given another chance. All your food is included in your package, and there's snacks and drinks available all day, and in the afternoon there's a large selection of things for lunch. All around the park are photographers who will take pictures of you through the day, which are available for purchase.

You can really make it as long of a day as you want (up til closing of course). The price can be daunting, but when you look at everything you get, it's really not bad. You don't HAVE to do the dolphin portion of the day but I can't imagine going and not doing it. Keep in mind children under 6 cannot do the dolphin swim.

It sounds wonderful! Is the water in all the pools etc shallow enough to stand if needed?

My husband swims like a rock and was absolutely fine at DC. The snorkeling lagoon is deep though, in most of it you can not stand if you need to. But you're never far away from the side or an island, so if you needed a break you can usually get to one easily. There are lifeguards everywhere and they are very observant. Once I stopped to take my mask off and they were asking if I was alright. Also, the water is super salty and the vests/suits that you are required to wear help you stay afloat.
I would go for the dolphin swim. It's amazing to get to see the dolphins up close and touch them and learn about them and get pulled through the water by them. Really really cool. I've done it twice and would do it again in a heartbeat!
If you go, get there early and get breakfast. It's nothing fancy, but it's "free" (once you pay admission!) The lunch is really good though. Nice and hot and fresh. Good selection too.
The lagoon aside, swimming is nice in DC. They have a nice warm pool and a great lazy river that I recommend getting a floaty for! It's long. The ray lagoon is nice too, you can go in and touch the rays and it's amazing! They're the nicest feeling creatures. And you can feed them too if you get there at the right time.
It's never over crowded. Free snacks and drinks all day. It's a great place IMO.
And yes, Seaworld tickets are included.

The Coral Reef is mostly 12 feet deep with shallow ledges around the outer areas I see this as the biggest problem for a non-swimmer. The river ranges from a few feet deep to many lengthy 8foot sections, but it is possible to wear a life vest or bring a noodle. The resort pool is 4feet-ish at deepest point, and the ray lagoon probably 3 feet at the deepest. And the aviary and conservation cabana are great non-water activities.

We are going next week for the first time and I understand they have restrictions on what you can have on when doing the dolphin swim. My question is do you think water shoes are necessary in the rest of the park or can you walk around in flip flops or sandals and just take them on and off as needed to go in the water? My kids don't *love* the water shoes and they don't have any that fit right now so I am debating on what shoes to get them for DC. Thanks so much!

IMO you don't need water shoes

for the most part you are going to be wearing fins in the water and the type fin they provide is not intended to go over water shoes. remember that all the water you'll be is is man made pools so other then the fake reef areas there isn't anything to step on in the water.

The real issue is they don't want you to carry anything into the water that might end up being harmful to the animals - something that could cause a chemical reaction or be something that might grow . . .

I wore topsiders out of the water with no issues or concerns but am seldom seen without dive boots on at the beach, snorkeling or on a dive boat.

If my husband absolutely thinks he needs a life vest for some of the activities do they provide them there?

I've never seen anyone use fins at Discovery Cove.

As far as non swimmers go, I think what you should do is go for the wetsuit and go in the normal pool and at least try it out. A lot of people are surprised at how much "float" they give you. If you're not comfortable with just the suit, then absolutely go for the life vest. Remember that you'll float a bit more in salt water than fresh.

I have seen people wear watershoes, but it's by and large not everyone. I think they even sell them at the little hut back by the wetsuit hut. I've always gone in just flipflops and have been fine.

If my husband absolutely thinks he needs a life vest for some of the activities do they provide them there?

Yes they do. If I remember correctly, they are in the area between the resort pool and the lagoon/stingray pool. With the renovations they've done, there might be other locations as well. If nothing else, you can always ask one of the employees and they've been nothing but wonderful in helping. :)

Do you HAVE to wear a wetsuit/life vest?

Yes you do, but the life vest isn't really what you think it is. It's made of wetsuit like material, which doesn't help you stay afloat. They do have the vests that help you float, which you do not have to wear, but you do have to wear the other type of vest or wetsuit. It's more to help the lifeguards, etc. identify you in the water and tell the difference between you and the trainers.

I chose the vest both times I was there. If you get one that fits nice and snug it's very forgettable after no time at all. And you can take it off while laying in the sun :)

Discovery Cove is absolutely worth it. If you guys like snorkeling you'll love this, you're guarenteed to see lots of stuff! The dolphins are fantastic and the other animals are just as great.

It can be busy, but there's only a certain amount of people allowed in per day, so it will never be ridiculous like Disney can be, nor will you ever have to worry about the park closing due to capacity.

The park itself is lush and gorgeous. You can forget you're in central Florida when you go in. There's lot of stuff besides the dolphins, and the dolphins can be a small (but great) part of your day. There's a large aviary where you can feed lots of types of birds, a stingray pool where you can pet cownose rays, the coral reef for snorkeling which has loads of fish and some larger types of rays as well as a "normal pool" that looks nothing like a normal pool. The grand reef is due to open soon too.

Your day would go something like this:

You arrive at the park and check in, and are issued an id card which will tell you which dolphin pool you're at and what time your swim is. Dolphin swims are first come first serve. There's a breakfast served in the morning which is nice to take advantage of. They recently switched from a continental breakfast to a hot breakfast. You'll be directed to the wetsuit station and lockers. You MUST wear a form of wetsuit while in the water in any of the animal pools. There's a few styles to choose from, a full length wetsuit, a "shorty" suit that would come to your knees and elbows, and a vest. There's lockers to use, and you'll be given a key to yours and they're free for the day. Nearby there's a changing room/bathroom where you can change and pick up your towels. You'll also be given a mesh bag with goggles and a snorker (you get to keep the snorkel). After that you're pretty much free to roam the park. There's no set schedule or tour to follow, but you must be there for your dolphin swim time because if you miss it, you will not be given another chance. All your food is included in your package, and there's snacks and drinks available all day, and in the afternoon there's a large selection of things for lunch. All around the park are photographers who will take pictures of you through the day, which are available for purchase.

QUOTE]
Subbing for all this great info. thanks! Hoping to make it there this year:thumbsup2

How deep is the dolphin area? My husband wants to do it but is worried it may be deep in some spots haha. Its funny because I am a fish in water and he is like a rock. Haha. Anyway....also is there any coupons for discounts on DC tickets?

Hi we are thinking of booking a dolphin swim for my daughter as a 21st b'day surprise. My wife will go with her and we were wondering what the cost was for my daughter to swim with the dolphins and for my wife to just go and swim, no dolphin swim, does anyone know please?

The dolphin pool is rather deep at the part you have to swim out to, definitely too deep to be able to stand. I'm not a strong swimmer by any means, but I manage to paddle my way out there, it's really more about being able to tread water. If someone is unable to, or afraid to go out that far and deep, there is a shallow water dolphin ride that you can do. You just have to let your trainer know. Sometimes they have to use a different dolphin for them. In our group an older lady didn't want to go out into the deep water, and the dolphin we had was only 5 years old and still learning, so they brought over another dolphin and I assume he was either more comfortable with them or ours hadn't quite learned them yet.

To the PP asking about prices...the prices vary depending on time of year and expected crowd levels. Summer and holidays, basically popular times to go, will be more expensive than the so called "off season". Sometimes you can find codes for discounts, but not always, or they have some kind of restriction on them like "selected dates only". If you go to the Discovery Cove website, and kind of start the booking process, you'll see a calender that will show you the prices for the dolphin and non dolphin tickets.

can i buy just discovery cove tickets and eliminate the sea world tickets? if so whats the price?

As far as I know you can't, because I think a lot of people would choose that option. The tickets also aren't transferable so you can't resell them or anything. If it sways your decision any, Sea World isn't your only option, you can also choose Busch Gardens or Aquatica.

well its not that i dont want the sea world tickets its just that i have a coupon for sea world tickets and was hoping to buy those seperate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter