Help with my way too long Itinerary (Seriously it's long)

AnOtHeRdIsNeYfReAk

Self-Proclaimed Super Genius
I would love some input, opinions and critique on my itinerary. A pair of fresh eyes might be really helpful. I'm travelling with a 16 year old and a few over 21's, so no small kids. We are a bit concerned that we are going to be running like crazy without enough downtime, so I tweaked our itinerary. I would love some advice (especially since the weather will be very, very hot). It's a lot of detail, but most of these are just ideals. We won't follow things to a tee, but this is what we'll have in mind each day. Also, I know with time constraints we won't be able to do everything on this itinerary. Some of it may even be downright impossible. Anyway, without further ado, My Itinerary:

Saturday 8/25: Fly in for a 9pm arrival. Take an Uber to our hotel just outside of Universal. Check-in.

Sunday 8/26: Grab breakfast at hotel. Check out and head over to Royal Pacific. Check-in, drop off our bags at the front desk if our room is not ready, get express passes and head to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure by 9am. Leave the park around 1-2 to grab some lunch, swim, pick up bags at the front desk to bring to the room and chill at the hotel. Head back to the parks by 4 or 5 to close.

Monday 8/27: Check out early and have bags held at front desk. Head to park as close as possible to 8am. Stay until it gets too hot and grab some lunch at Citywalk (voodoo donuts to go). Grab a movie (yay a/c!) or head to the hotel to swim. Go back to the parks until close. Pick up bags and take an Uber to Disney's All Star Music.

Tuesday 8/28: Sleep in for a bit! Organize room, grab refillable mugs and breakfast. Pop over to Disney Springs for a few hours or resort hop on the Monorail line. Late lunch at Kona Cafe @ 2:30. Head to Magic Kingdom by 4pm for MNSSHP. Fastpass for Peter Pan @ 425 - 525. Do Small World and Pooh if there's time. Head to Space Mt for a 525 - 6pm fastpass. Do Carousel of Progress, and the TTA. Must do MNNSHP Rides: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space Mt, Buzz. Hit up a few trick or treat stations if we pass them. Find a spot for 1015 fireworks and 1115 Parade

Wednesday 8/29: Hollywood Studios as early as possible to get to Slinky Dog Dash standby or Toy Story Mania stand-by. Breakfast at Woody's Roundup or back track to grab breakfast at Trolley Car Cafe and head to Tower of Terror about 930 - 1030 for our fastpass. Do Rock and Roller Coaster standby. Make our way to Indiana Jones. Fastpass for Star Tours at 110 - 210. Grab a quick snack or lunch anywhere and head to Muppets 3D. Work our way over for a 310 - 410 fastpass at Alien Swirling Saucer and if possible do whichever one: (Slinky Dog Dash or Toy Story Mania) that we didn't do in the am if the wait is not too long. Leave at about 430 to get to Boma at 5:20. Early evening in at the hotel by 730

Thursday 8/30: Grab something light for breakfast at hotel. Animal Kingdom as early as possible to do standby Flight of Passage if the line isn't already insane. 920 - 1020 fastpass for Na'vi River Journey. Light snack somewhere on the way to our 1025 - 1125 fastpass for Kilimanjaro Safari. Festival of the lion king fastpass at 1130 - 1145. Head directly to lunch at Tucker House for the ROL Package lunch. Do the trails, maybe Rafiki's planet watch. Try to get a 4th fastpass for Expedition Everest. If it's too hot, head to hotel for a break. Otherwise Jungle Trek, Up!, and head to Discovery Island for It's Tough to be a Bug and trails. Dinner at either the Satu'li Canteen or Flame Tree Barbecue. Head to Rivers of Light for the 8:45 show (probably by 8:15pm) Hotel and sleep by 11pm

Friday 8/31: Uber or Minnie Van to get to Magic Kingdom quicker (by 7:45). Head down Main Street. Make a point to see Dapper Dans. Crystal Palace breakfast at 8:25. Head to Splash for 1005 - 1105 fastpass. Big Thunder standby if the line isn't too long. Tiki room, dole whip!!, Magic Carpets if the line is short. Fastpass for Jungle Cruise at 1210 - 110, head to Liberty Square for Hall of Pres., Haunted Mansion if not too long. 215 late lunch at Jungle Nav. Skip. Canteen. Head over to Fantasyland. Head to It's a Small World, Pooh or Little Mermaid (Whichever we have time for) 455 - 555 fastpass for Seven Dwarfs. If we get out of Seven Dwarfs with enough time, head to Tomorrowland for Buzz. Park closes at 6, so we'll head back to the hotel to swim, do laundry and have an early night.

Saturday 9/1: Epcot day. Breakfast at Sunshine Seasons. Soarin' for a 910 - 1010 fastpass. Do Living with the Land, Journey into Imagination and The Seas with Nemo. Head to Spaceship Earth for an 1110 - 1210 fastpass. Test Track if there is time before the 1250 - 150 fastpass for Mission Space, otherwise try to get a fourth fastpass for it. Wander through Innoventions and Club Cool and head to World Showcase. Eat and Drink around the World. Rest at American Adventure. La Hacienda Dinner at 830. Roll back to hotel after consuming way too much food.

Sunday 9/2: Brunch at the California Grill at 10am. Head to Hollywood Studios for a Slinky Dog fastpass at 245 - 345, Tower of Terror at 405 - 505 and Rock and Roller coaster at 515-615. Do everything else in the park that we want to. Stay for the Star Wars Fireworks.

Monday 9/3: EHM at Animal Kingdom. Get there as early as possible to head to Pandora. Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey standby. Fastpass for hopefully 2nd Flight of Passage 930 - 1030. Kali Fastpass 1105 - 1205, Expedition Everest Fastpass no later than 1220. Sanaa lunch at 115. Head to hotel for a bit then go to Disney Springs.

Tuesday 9/4: Sleep in a bit. Swim. Pack everything, but swimwear. Epcot Culinary Demo @ 1230. Wander around World Showcase. Frozen fastpass 210 - 310. Disney Springs if we want to purchase anything else. Split up for last minute purchases or must do rides no matter which park. Head to Magic Kingdom for the 830 Happily Ever After.

Wednesday 9/5: Flight leaves at 150, so expect Magical Express pickup around 1030. Breakfast at hotel. Buy remaining snacks if there are any credits left.

Looks great! The only thing I see is on your first Hollywood Studio day, I wonder if you'd heard that Rock n' Rollercoaster has been having consistently longer waits than any of the three toy story land rides? If it's possible to get a FP for RnR instead of Alien Swirling Saucers that day, that would be what I'd do. But who knows what the actually wait times will work out to be the day you're there, so totally your call . . .

Have fun :)

If you're closing out MNSSHP, you may not be back to your hotel room until 1am. So getting to HS "as early as possible" that day may be a challenge. You may want to tweak your FPs and be at HS at night (apparently Toy Story Land is more pleasant in the evening - it's all lit up, you're not dealing with the sun - based on what I've been reading, you should be able to get in line for Slinky before park close and not have a dreadful wait - even right now, at 9:23pm on a Saturday, the posted wait is 55 minutes and Touring Plans expects an actual wait of 41 minutes - not too bad, with the added bonus that the sun is down).

Wednesday 8/29- If you’re at MNSSHP until closing then that’s a really late night and I wouldn’t plan on being too early for HS. I do see you’ve planned it as an early night though so if you can power through, it’s a solid plan.

I would probably swap the ToT FP for Rock N Rollercoaster- that’s had a longer wait than the TS attractions lately. Or, skip both since you have FP for Sunday and sleep in a little longer.

Thursday 8/30- I love Satuli Canteen and Flame Tree BBQ but your plan works best with Flame Tree BBQ.

Tuesday 9/4- when you pack, leave out anything you will need for that day (to be tossed in the suitcase at the end of the day) and the following day. You leave your luggage out the night before for Magical Express and you’ll want clean clothes to travel home with.

This is all my two cents, I think the plan looks great!

Tuesday 8/28: Only concern is Carousel of Progress is closed during MNSSHP, so if you don't do it before you ride Space Mountain you might not have time.

Wednesday 8/29: Seems a bit packed since you are trying to do two TSL rides standby. Since you have Slinky later in the week, I would just skip it this day and concentrate on finding a low wait time for TSM. Also, remember to arrive early to shows like Indiana Jones for seating. It was standing room only at 15 minutes prior last time we went. The shows get more crowded too now given the increase TSL crowds.

Thursday 8/30: I don't know what you mean by as early as possible. If you mean as early as possible before park opening at 9am, you should have no problem riding FOP and being done by 10:20. But if you mean showing up at 9:10 and seeing if you can hop on before Navi, you will definitely miss your FP. Given the lengthy pre-show, it takes 30 minutes to ride FOP even with zero wait, and the line builds very fast every day; it will be an hour wait or more after the first rope drop crowd (currently it is 9:15am east coast time; FOP wait time on the app shows 90 minutes).

Friday 8/31: I would do Big Thunder before your Splash FP. Assuming breakfast takes about an hour, you should have time for both, and the wait time for Thunder at 9:30 is much better than at 10:30. ht.

Monday 9/3: Sort of confused if you are saying you plan to ride both FOP and Navi standby before a 9:30-10:30 FP, or if you are just planning to ride Navi and then use a FP for FOP at 9:30. If the latter you should be fine. If the former you will definitely need to be there well before park opening (see comment for 8/30).

Looks great! The only thing I see is on your first Hollywood Studio day, I wonder if you'd heard that Rock n' Rollercoaster has been having consistently longer waits than any of the three toy story land rides? If it's possible to get a FP for RnR instead of Alien Swirling Saucers that day, that would be what I'd do. But who knows what the actually wait times will work out to be the day you're there, so totally your call . . .

Have fun :)
Yea I would FP RnR as well. You can get FPs for RnR, Saucers, and Tower of Terror. I would do stand by for Star Tours of those 4. Or get it as a 4th FP, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Looks great to me!

No need for an Uber or Minnie Van to get to MK by 7:45. Buses start running between 6:30 and 7. And Ubers can’t drop off at MK.

I'm confused by this. What do you mean by leaving it out the night before?

Sorry, I should have been more specific there.

If you are using Resort Airline Check-In (checking in for your flight and checking your checked baggage through the resort and not at the airline’s counter at the airport meaning you get off the bus, go through TSA and board your plane, bypassing the airline’s counter if you have checked baggage) then your departure notice for Magical Express will tell you to leave your checked baggage outside your door the night before so they can load it and take it to the airport.

We always use this because shuffling 3 kids into the airport is enough work- I don’t need the added hassle of wheeling our 2 checked bags plus carry on luggage, then waiting in line forever at the kiosk to check a bag.

If you are not using Resort Airline Check-In to do this, or don’t have checked bags, then you carry your baggage to wherever the Tragical Express is picking you up (or have Bell Services assist you in getting it there) and it will be loaded onto the bus and you then have to deal with any checked bags at the airline’s counter.

Your plan looks great! We are there at the same time! The only tip I would have is try to get your fastpasses used up earlier in the day and you will more than likely get same day fastpasses for a lot of the attractions you have on your list and not have to worry about a standby wait. For example, on your MK day, you will almost definitely be able to get a Haunted Mansion FP, but I would try to get all your pre-booked ones used up by early afternoon.

If you are using Resort Airline Check-In (checking in for your flight and checking your checked baggage through the resort and not at the airline’s counter at the airport meaning you get off the bus, go through TSA and board your plane, bypassing the airline’s counter if you have checked baggage) then your departure notice for Magical Express will tell you to leave your checked baggage outside your door the night before so they can load it and take it to the airport.

I have never heard of being able to leave the bags outside your room. Here is what the information on the website says about Resort Airline Checkin (and the process we have always used):

This complimentary service lets you check in for your return flight, collect your boarding pass and even check your bags at the Airline Check-In desk. When you arrive at the airport, simply make your way to security.

Walt Disney World Resort Guests must present a valid government-issued I.D. for domestic travel or a valid passport for international travel. In addition, Guests must check in no later than 3 hours prior to their scheduled flight departure. (Flight delays do not extend this check in time.) All Guests must be present at check-in.

Resort Airline Check-In is open daily from 5:00 AM to 12:00 noon.

I don't see how you could show ID if they just grab your bags outside your room??

We always use this because shuffling 3 kids into the airport is enough work- I don’t need the added hassle of wheeling our 2 checked bags plus carry on luggage, then waiting in line forever at the kiosk to check a bag.

If you are not using Resort Airline Check-In to do this, or don’t have checked bags, then you carry your baggage to wherever the Tragical Express is picking you up (or have Bell Services assist you in getting it there) and it will be loaded onto the bus and you then have to deal with any checked bags at the airline’s counter.

When we were there in December, we didn't have to leave our bags outside of our room (seems unsafe?). The day of our flight, we took them to the Resort Airline Check-In counter and then everything was handled as you said it would be.

I have never heard of being able to leave the bags outside your room. Here is what the information on the website says about Resort Airline Checkin (and the process we have always used):

This complimentary service lets you check in for your return flight, collect your boarding pass and even check your bags at the Airline Check-In desk. When you arrive at the airport, simply make your way to security.

Walt Disney World Resort Guests must present a valid government-issued I.D. for domestic travel or a valid passport for international travel. In addition, Guests must check in no later than 3 hours prior to their scheduled flight departure. (Flight delays do not extend this check in time.) All Guests must be present at check-in.

Resort Airline Check-In is open daily from 5:00 AM to 12:00 noon.

I don't see how you could show ID if they just grab your bags outside your room??

The last two times we’ve done this we left our bags outside our room, just like on a cruise ship, and that’s what our notice said to do. Never had a problem.

ID must be presented to TSA before you go through the checkpoint, along with your boarding pass. Disney isn’t responsible for checking ID pre-flight. You’re never required to go to your airline’s counter unless you have baggage with you that needs to be checked or you did not obtain your boarding pass online beforehand.

When we were there in December, we didn't have to leave our bags outside of our room (seems unsafe?). The day of our flight, we took them to the Resort Airline Check-In counter and then everything was handled as you said it would be.
It could have changed. The last two times we were there with baggage to check (most recently June 2016 because after that we tried not to check baggage) that’s what our notice about Magical Express said to do (I believe we also had the option to roll them somewhere ourselves but we got in too late the night before departure for that to be an option so I didn’t pay attention). We left them outside our room and had no issues. We do the same on cruise ships, never have a problem there either. There are cameras everywhere.

The last two times we’ve done this we left our bags outside our room, just like on a cruise ship, and that’s what our notice said to do. Never had a problem.

ID must be presented to TSA before you go through the checkpoint, along with your boarding pass. Disney isn’t responsible for checking ID pre-flight. You’re never required to go to your airline’s counter unless you have baggage with you that needs to be checked or you did not obtain your boarding pass online beforehand.

I understand how it works at the airport. I work in the travel industry.

Where Disney checks ID is when you check your bag at the RAC desk. They are required to do that because they are acting as agents of the airlines. They cannot accept bags without checking the ID of the owner, and comparing it to the boarding pass.

The reason it works on a cruise ship is that the cruise line is simply taking your bags to the pickup area. No TSA or other security. For checking bags at a Disney resort, you are checking them to be taken to your flight, put on the plane, and on to your home airport. Security must be complied with in that case.

This sounds as if it is something that has changed since your last trip, likely due to a need to comply with security protocol for checked bags.

EDITED TO ADD: I was curious, so I did a Google search for "Magical Express Departure Letters", and found images of letters as far back as 2015. None of them gave the option of leaving bags outside your door. All mentioned having to take them to the RAC desk and show ID. Could you possibly be misremembering? Or was it even before then? I didn't find anything earlier than that.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd do is on Monday 8/27 instead of watching the movie/lunch I would take that time to go to ASM and check in (leave bags there if your room is not available but it probably will be) and eat/swim there. After a long day at the park I would not want to be leaving at close and having to check into another hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter