HHI LOVERS THREAD

We own at HHI and have been these several times, both long and short stays. We've also been to Vero several times, often after a cruise or on the way to WDW.
BEACH - don't really like the beach at Vero....very narrow and waves can come in very rough. I once got thrown head over heels. HHI resort is on the sound about a mile from beach but with beach house on wide sand beach. Waves are very gentle. There's a shuttle but also easy bike ride.
DINING - restaurant at Vero is fine, a bit pricey (Disney priced). But I wouldn't want to eat there every night. To eat off-site is a 30-40 minute drive. HHI has no real restaurant, there are a couple of casual places, one at resort and one at beach. But there are several great places in walking or biking distance and even more a 15 minute drive.
OTHER ACTIVITIES - my memory is that HHI offers more activities....kayaking, cruises, fishing /crabbing off Pier, and the Shelter Cove area in general has a lot of activities. Vero is a bit more secluded.

I am hoping to get a week in July in a 2 bedroom at the 7month mark - what are my chances?

I am hoping to get a week in July in a 2 bedroom at the 7month mark - what are my chances?
HH has a higher chance for 2BR villas at the 7 month mark since there are so many more available as compared to Studios and 1BRs (21 of each) . However, June - August is also the highest demand time at HH so availability is also limited at the least.

Good luck! :)

We own at HHI and have been these several times, both long and short stays. We've also been to Vero several times, often after a cruise or on the way to WDW.
BEACH - don't really like the beach at Vero....very narrow and waves can come in very rough. I once got thrown head over heels. HHI resort is on the sound about a mile from beach but with beach house on wide sand beach. Waves are very gentle. There's a shuttle but also easy bike ride.
DINING - restaurant at Vero is fine, a bit pricey (Disney priced). But I wouldn't want to eat there every night. To eat off-site is a 30-40 minute drive. HHI has no real restaurant, there are a couple of casual places, one at resort and one at beach. But there are several great places in walking or biking distance and even more a 15 minute drive.
OTHER ACTIVITIES - my memory is that HHI offers more activities....kayaking, cruises, fishing /crabbing off Pier, and the Shelter Cove area in general has a lot of activities. Vero is a bit more secluded.
Thanks so much for the info!

As far as “disney” touch, Vero Beach had a character dinner and breakfast as well as characters who came to the pool, a Disney movie/cartoon watching area, an unbirthday party for kids, Disney DVD rentals, kid’s clubs, etc... does HHI resort offer anything like this? I can’t say I care much but we are traveling with four kids ages 2-10 so we are hoping there’s something for everyone.

HH has a higher chance for 2BR villas at the 7 month mark since there are so many more available as compared to Studios and 1BRs (21 of each) . However, June - August is also the highest demand time at HH so availability is also limited at the least.

Eek we would like 3 studios in mid-August. I’m thinking that may not happen. Are non DVC owners allowed to submit a request to rent at +7 months?

… Are non DVC owners allowed to submit a request to rent at +7 months?

Do you mean to rent from Disney directly? Yes, the resort does have access to a few villas once inside 11 months for cash reservations but that supply will be very limited. Sometimes DVC Members can even get the DVC cash discount available thru MS. You can always try to find a DVC Member willing to make reservations for others using their points more than 7 months ahead on the DVC Rent/Trade Board or through a rental broker.

Many have purchased ownership at HH just so they will have the ability to make reservations for popular times of the year.

Thanks so much for the info!

As far as “disney” touch, Vero Beach had a character dinner and breakfast as well as characters who came to the pool, a Disney movie/cartoon watching area, an unbirthday party for kids, Disney DVD rentals, kid’s clubs, etc... does HHI resort offer anything like this? I can’t say I care much but we are traveling with four kids ages 2-10 so we are hoping there’s something for everyone.

While HH does not have 'resident' Disney characters, it does have a large recreation staff with daily activities for kids (of all ages). There are usually age appropriate "Kids night out" programs to offer the kids a night away from parents - with movies/games/etc. There are even some programs for adults. You will receive an activity sheet at arrival with the full list of activities for your stay.

There is also a long list of family activities - Dolphin watch , nature hikes, crabbing, fishing - either right from the resort or within walking distance. While dining is limited at the resort itself - Shelter Cove provides 6+ dining options within 400 yards from the resort right along the harbor and there are another 250 or so restaurants a short drive from the resort.

Enjoy! :teeth:

While HH does not have 'resident' Disney characters, it does have a large recreation staff with daily activities for kids (of all ages). :teeth:

In April, Pluto showed up as we were enjoying a dole whip at Tide Me Over. He did a meet and greet near the pool area. I was under the impression that Pluto does meet regularly. Did he stop meeting? Or is it seasonal only?

In April, Pluto showed up as we were enjoying a dole whip at Tide Me Over. He did a meet and greet near the pool area. I was under the impression that Pluto does meet regularly. Did he stop meeting? Or is it seasonal only?

Pluto has been there the last few Thanksgivings as well. We'll be there in about 10 days-I'll let you know if he's gone.

How hard is it to book November at 7 months if not around Thanksgiving?

You should be fine. One year we were booked into a 1 BR for Thanksgiving week and several days of the week after. The day before we left, I was telling the front desk CM how sad I was to leave. She told me that there was plenty of availability if we wanted to stay an extra day or two. And this year we booked Thanksgiving week at 11 months, plan to add a few days the week beforehand at 7 months (don't have enough HHI points). I've been watching, and so far, everything's fine.

Hoping to return to HHI mid September, only been once a few years ago and loved it. I would think it is a great time of year, kids are back in school, weather should be very nice, only issue is of course, possible hurricanes.:scared1: Was there end of May right before the busy summer season and had such a great week there. Anyone know how difficult it is to get studios in mid September at 7 mos? Thanks!:thanks:

Hoping to return to HHI mid September, only been once a few years ago and loved it. I would think it is a great time of year, kids are back in school, weather should be very nice, only issue is of course, possible hurricanes.:scared1: Was there end of May right before the busy summer season and had such a great week there. Anyone know how difficult it is to get studios in mid September at 7 mos? Thanks!:thanks:
I think you may be OK. With school back in session the number of families will be greatly reduced (but they are not usually the ones reserving the Studios). With only 21 Studios at the resort, they still go quickly.

I'd sure suggest checking right at 7 months. Good luck! :)

I think you may be OK. With school back in session the number of families will be greatly reduced (but they are not usually the ones reserving the Studios). With only 21 Studios at the resort, they still go quickly.

I'd sure suggest checking right at 7 months. Good luck! :)
THANKS! Hope so, will be ready to go at 7 months!:thumbsup2

We’re going the end of July and know this is a really crowded time. Are there any places to avoid due to the crowds?

We’re going the end of July and know this is a really crowded time. Are there any places to avoid due to the crowds?
If you are planning to eat dinner out, try to make advance reservations, restaurants get very crowded in summer and also for spring break.Enjoy!:cool1:

Last edited:

We always go the week before July 4th. It is normally tough for us to get a parking place at the beach house and getting an umbrella around both pools. We live by Open Table. We love the Serg Group restaurants (except Posiden) Have fun!

We are thinking about a trip to HHI in January of 2020, probably the week before MLK Jr day.

1) Will it be difficult to get 2 rooms at the 7 month mark? Studios if possible?

2) Anyone have experience with staying there in January? I know it will be cooler and some things might be closed.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter