High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

DD's school didn't send them out. They set up tables in the courtyard on the first day and they pick up their schedules then.

Not sure why, because they make their schedules before school is out. Then they have parent night for all the parents to go to the school and sign the schedule to make sure we approve the classes they take. But, that's the way they do it.

DD#2 goes in to school on August 29 to pick up her schedule. (She starts school September 9th)

Kooky question, more out of curiosity to see how different schools operate: does your kid's high school mail out the class schedules for upcoming school year or do the teens make a mad.dash on first day to find their name and homeroom number along with everyone else? My dd's school does the latter.

The kids can pick up their schedules on the registration days. We have two days where we go in and pick up their temp ID's, locker info, take school pictures - both for the id and you to purchase, turn in your contact and medical information sheets, get bus route info, purchase sport passes, yearbooks, student agenda, music passes, and pick up schedules. You have to look over your schedule and get with the staff if there are any errors. It was after picking up DD's schedule, only when I was looking at the purchase receipt did I find out that the one class cost the $110.00. DS18, they had 2 errors on his. The class he took in summer school was still on there and the class he needed in it's place wasn't and he had no 1st period class for 2nd semester. We had to turn those two corrections in.

And this is how the school system as done it for years. I graduated back in 86 from the same school my two are going to and we did it the same way back when.

The kids can pick up their schedules on the registration days. We have two days where we go in and pick up their temp ID's, locker info, take school pictures - both for the id and you to purchase, turn in your contact and medical information sheets, get bus route info, purchase sport passes, yearbooks, student agenda, music passes, and pick up schedules. You have to look over your schedule and get with the staff if there are any errors. .

Dang, that is like 1 stop shopping, very efficient. Well, soon after my last post, I received a robo call from the school saying they would be doing things differently, each grade would have a specified day to come and pick up their schedules and make any changes then except AP classes. So today was dd's day as a beginning Sophomore to get her schedule and every thing was correct. Pictures are another day, we find out bus stop info via a website, which may be.changed because to get to her bus stop,there is a major road expansion, so see how that goes, lol.

Woo hoo, only a few days untilschool goes back in session. Hope everyone has a safe holiday and may our kids rock this year!.

So how are the kids doing this week? This is our second short week and then next week we'll get back into 5 day weeks. (Last week was a 4 day week, then a 4 day holiday weekend) DS15 says his classes are good so far but we'll see what happens once they start to ramp up. He's also doing cross country and his first meet was yesterday. That went well and he was happy with his running time.

DD is doing great. Started out with some drama in choir. She is in concert choir, pop a capella, women's choir and show choir.

For reasons we don't really know, the interest in show choir has dropped dramatically and the small group would not be able to compete to be best of their ability. Any way the show choir group voted and decided to not do it this year and perhaps replace show choir with something else. It was very hard for students to make that decision but they felt it was best for the program. Lots of tears were shed that weekend.

After a couple of days though things settled down and they were just ready to get on with the other choir ensembles. The administration is having a hard time with it though! We have had meeting after meeting with them to make sure this was the choice of the choir members and not the director.

Everything else is going great. First a capella performance tomorrow night! This is a new group for our school and they will be singing the national anthem at Open House and in front of the whole student body.

Her classes are going good. The only one she is having any problems with is US History. New teacher, whom she really likes but just needing to get used to his teaching style.

Dd started back yesterday and the first day went well. Hope all of them have a successful year!!!!!

Question about National Honor Society?!?

What do people know about this? what year of HS do people typically sign up? At the beginning or end of year? Do you need to fill out form each year?

Our school has posted a link to it on their website but did not provide any further info so I have no idea whether this is something a sophomore needs to do, any info is appreciated thx!

So far everything is going well for DD. She got Honors English 2, Honors Civics, Drafting, and Biomedical Tech this semester. She has a few friends in each class, and she got lunch with some buddies that are fun to sit with, so she is happy. She joined the Interact club as well, and got certified to referee for youth soccer games- she hopes to make a little $$ on the weekends she isn't playing.

Spring will be tougher- Honors Algebra 2, Honors Chemistry, Latin 2, and Psychology, AND she will be playing soccer for her school team (hopefully Varsity).

According to DD, academics are fine. Time will tell as she has her first AP class this year, World History. The rest of her core classes are pre-AP (weighted GPA). At the end of last year, she was in the top ten of her class of over 500, and she's determined to keep it that way

There was a little drama in Art with an overzealous young man. He decided that DD was going to be his friend, regardless of her feelings on the subject. DD is slow to warm up to people, so his overly enthusiastic attempts did not fly with her. Based on DD's description of his behavior, he may have Asperger's. At any rate, we talked about how to set some boundaries, and it seems to have blown over.

She's also in Band and FFA. I'm hoping band went better today. There's a boy that for reasons unknown has disliked DD since middle school. They play the same instrument. For the most part, they co-exist, in that DD ignores and avoids him. Last year there was a meeting with the Asst Principal when said boy decided to mock and make hurtful comments and got his buddies at his lunch table to join in. Yes, DD is on the sensitive side, and its something we've been working on for as long as I can remember. I thought things were better this year as she's actually mentioned him a time or two in a positive way. However, yesterday afternoon he decided to launch into her again. We've yet to get her to tell us exactly what happened, but she was upset to the point of crying. Hoping that shell be willing to talk tonight.

Any suggestions on talking to a kid that's both very sensitive and very private. She'll very rarely talk about what is bothering her. I've learned that the best way to get her to talk about her thoughts and feelings is to talk about various situations involving her friends or to discuss something we've seen on tv. We had some issues in middle school where I thought a counselor might help, however, she literally refused to get out of the car. DH and I went to the session and let her wait in the car. At the second session, she did decide to join us for about half the session, but she didn't want us to leave for her to talk to the counselor on her own. The very next week she refused to get out of the car again. This last about six weeks. We got some good advice on dealing with her behavior, but I was really hoping to give her a safe place to open up.

We talk all the time; it's just not about her feelings. Like I said, I've learned how to gather information without it being directly about her. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any advice to give.

According to DD, academics are fine. Time will tell as she has her first AP class this year, World History. The rest of her core classes are pre-AP (weighted GPA). At the end of last year, she was in the top ten of her class of over 500, and she’s determined to keep it that way

There was a little drama in Art with an overzealous young man. He decided that DD was going to be his friend, regardless of her feelings on the subject. DD is slow to warm up to people, so his overly enthusiastic attempts didn’t fly with her. Based on DD’s description of his behavior, he may have Asperger’s. At any rate, we talked about how to set some boundaries, and it seems to have blown over.

She’s also in Band and FFA. I’m hoping band went better today. There’s a boy that for reasons unknown has disliked DD since middle school. They play the same instrument. For the most part, they co-exist, in that DD ignores and avoids him. Last year there was a meeting with the Asst Principal when said boy decided to mock and make hurtful comments and got his buddies at his lunch table to join in. Yes, DD is on the sensitive side, and it’s something we’ve been working on for as long as I can remember. I thought things were better this year as she’s actually mentioned him a time or two in a positive way. However, yesterday afternoon he decided to launch into her again. We’ve yet to get her to tell us exactly what happened, but she was upset to the point of crying. Hoping that she’ll be willing to talk tonight.

Any suggestions on talking to a kid that’s both very sensitive and very private. She’ll very rarely talk about what is bothering her. I’ve learned that the best way to get her to talk about her thoughts and feelings is to talk about various situations involving her friends or to discuss something we’ve seen on tv. We had some issues in middle school where I thought a counselor might help, however, she literally refused to get out of the car. DH and I went to the session and let her wait in the car. At the second session, she did decide to join us for about half the session, and the very next week she refused to get out of the car again. This last about six weeks. We got some good advice on dealing with her behavior, but I was really hoping to give her a safe place to open up.

We talk all the time; it’s just not about her feelings. Like I said, I’ve learned how to gather information without it being directly about her. I’m just wondering if anyone else has any advice to give.

Can you maybe get her to write to you? DD had some sensitive stuff a while back and just couldn't seem to spit it out. She finally went upstairs and sent me an e-mail. Maybe you can get her an account that is only to talk to you?

Good luck. These years are tough.

I can't believe I just found this thread. Joining in. My DS (2nd of two boys) started his sophomore year yesterday. Orientation for two hours, where schedules were handed out, then he's off until classes start on Friday. His only complaint this year is 7th period lunch, which is the 2nd to last period. I think hunger will become an issue, but I'm not going to push the issue with the school as long as he doesn't complain.

I can't believe I just found this thread. Joining in. My DS (2nd of two boys) started his sophomore year yesterday. Orientation for two hours, where schedules were handed out, then he's off until classes start on Friday. His only complaint this year is 7th period lunch, which is the 2nd to last period. I think hunger will become an issue, but I'm not going to push the issue with the school as long as he doesn't complain.

Tell him he could be my daughter.. every other day she doesn't have lunch at all. :worried:

Tell him he could be my daughter.. every other day she doesn't have lunch at all. :worried:

Doesn't anyone review schedules anywhere? Hungry kids just don't absorb and retain as much knowledge as fed kids. My worst year in high school was the year I had no lunch period, and my worst class was the last class before going home.

DNM, is he allowed to snack in class? My kids are, as long as they're not disruptive about it and don't make a mess, etc. You could get him a lunchbag-style cooler for his bacpack and have him bring some things that might help tie him over. That is late, and blood sugars would probably be pretty low mid day and toward the end of the day if they don't eat something.

Piperdown, my DD is sensitive, too. Fortunately she's pretty open about talking things out. We talk about how things were for me when I was her age, how even at my age now I often have to deal with difficult people (ie it doesn't end in high school), and what some of the things may be that make people the way they are, etc. Giving her this perspective is usually enough to help her get past some of the hurtful things that can happen at this age, and helps her have a deeper understanding of people. Often she winds up having compassion for the people who upset her. If email works for her, maybe sharing some if your own experiences might help her see that you really do understand.

Doesn't anyone review schedules anywhere? Hungry kids just don't absorb and retain as much knowledge as fed kids. My worst year in high school was the year I had no lunch period, and my worst class was the last class before going home.

Unfortunately I was told it's quite common to not have a lunch especially for kids who aren't on the "traditional" schedule. (She is a soph taking senior math, junior science, and two languages.) it is just the only way it works. (Believe me we played with it for awhile.) Some days she has a study hall second period so that will help a bit but once a week she has no break at all. She's taking a lunch and her history teacher is letting her eat in there. She has a few weeks to drop a class without penalty and we just started yesterday. If it becomes an issue I'll have her drop Latin. I think she'll be fine though. Depends on the kid.. DS can barely make it to lunch and would be a mess.

She chose this road herself so i don't want to discourage her. Hopefully it will work itself out.

Glad to see this is still going!

DD's homework load eased up a little second semester last year. Instead of 3 -7 hours per night, it was more like 2 -4 hours per night. Somehow she got through!

This year seems much better so far. I think she has better teachers and more importantly DD is just more relaxed about it all. Kind of accepted the lack of social life and sleep!

They implemented a new "program" in which classwork and homework do not get graded at all. So, only her test, paper and project scores will count. The theory is, homework is practice and you shouldn't be graded on it. On one hand, it takes some pressure off and allows her to structure her learning around her own schedule to some extent. Like one night she had 2 big tests to study for, so she didn't do her homework....she saved it til the next night when she had time. On the other hand, I know that last year she always had 100% on her homework. This helped buffer the occasional low scoring test and helped her maintain straight A's for the year.

They are also being a so flexible this year. She went to school sick all the time last year, because she was terrified of missing a day. This year, if you are out sick, when you come back they let you reschedule missed and upcoming tests at your leisure (basically you have all quarter to get it done) and they help you find someone who will let you copy any classroom notes you missed. So, basically if you missed a day or two, you don't have to worry about coming back and having one night to complete all homework, study for a bunch of tests and stay after school to take tests, etc.

We'll see how this works out!! I feel like we are not even in the same school as last year!

Her 3 new challenges this year are: moving from honors social studies to AP, moving from standard to Honors Math, and no lunch.

Drivers Ed starts 2nd semester for her and she'll be able to get her license next summer! Scary stuff!

Just curious, how much did drivers ed cost at your school? It was $350 here.

My two started Driver's Ed this week. It's $500 through the school ($750 privately). Had to write out a check for $1000. :scared1: They'll get their Learner's Permits next month. I'm actually looking forward to it - there's been more running around this past year than there was when they were little! I don't mind going for the ride; at least I can just sit there sometimes, lol.

School has been good. DD likes all her teachers and classes. DS is warming up to them, too. :p DS seems to have gotten off to a pretty good start this year, says he wants to do well and is getting his routines down pat. So far, so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter