High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Is this very different from her middle school grades? Not everyone is a straight A student.

She is uneven. Classes she likes are straight As. Classes she doesn't like...well we're working on it.

DD15 is doing well so far, but, she only has 2 academic classes this semester. they're on a block schedule, with 4 classes per day, and one, short "enrichment" period (30 minutes-it is used to help those who are struggling with problem areas). she has geometry, science, digital photography (enrichment), P.E. and band. she had all A's on her 1st nine weeks report card, and there are 4 more weeks left in this 9 weeks. she's got an 87 in geometry and a 94 in science right now.

next semester, she'll have english, world history, human development and band.

she's super excited about the band trip - we're going to new orleans, and the marching band is going to perform at the halftime show for the allstate sugar bowl on january 2nd! :banana: i wish DH could go too, but he started a new job back in may, and doesn't have any time off accrued yet. :(

QUOTE=punkin;46786912. Classes she doesn't like...well we're working on it.[/QUOTE]

This is like my dd. It drives me nuts. She is odd though, she will go on about she doesn't like the teacher or she thinks the teacher doesn't like her and I have told her that there will be peo9le in the real world that either won't like her or she won't like them but you still have to keep the train rolling. Then she eventually turns it around. Take example last year science:oh the teacher doesn't like me or whatever, she gets a b for the end of the year and gets a advanced score on the sol. This year she is in honors science. And I am dumb because I don't know how she got there. Lol now this year geography is her weakness: the teacher is old blah blah . She had a d and teacher dd and I had a conference, she doesn't like to study for subjects she doesn't like,but will do well for classworkd,so I feel you on the work in progress.

budmonster said:
I have a DD14 that is a freshman this year and while she is my third one to go through HS (I have a DS16 class of 2015) I have found that freshman year for her has been very expensive on top of everything else.

I do see her struggling a little bit more then I have in years past. She has always been on the A/B honor roll and in the first quarter she has two C's. She has already taken the ACT twice. She is very self driven and I think all the pressure the school put on kids this early in HS has taken its toll.

I do think that school system put a lot of pressure on these kids way to early in their academic career. IMO

Very curious as to why your dd is taking the ACT as a freshman? Seems like there is still so much to learn between now and junior year. Ds17 took SAT AND ACT both junior and senior year. That's it.

Very curious as to why your dd is taking the ACT as a freshman? Seems like there is still so much to learn between now and junior year. Ds17 took SAT AND ACT both junior and senior year. That's it.

I don't know about the ACT itself, but they made DD's class take the ACT Explore test this year. They also take the PSATs in 10th and 11th grade.

This is like my dd. It drives me nuts. She is odd though, she will go on about she doesn't like the teacher or she thinks the teacher doesn't like her and I have told her that there will be peo9le in the real world that either won't like her or she won't like them but you still have to keep the train rolling. Then she eventually turns it around. Take example last year science:oh the teacher doesn't like me or whatever, she gets a b for the end of the year and gets a advanced score on the sol. This year she is in honors science. And I am dumb because I don't know how she got there. Lol now this year geography is her weakness: the teacher is old blah blah . She had a d and teacher dd and I had a conference, she doesn't like to study for subjects she doesn't like,but will do well for classworkd,so I feel you on the work in progress.

DD is pretty much in honors everything this year because of how well she tests. Her classroom grades are not so wonderful and never were. I am pretty sure she will manage to turn her grades around. This quarter is already better. She really cannot stand French to such an extent that I am considering letting her drop it after this year.

DD is doing well so far. Academics have never been an issue and she generally maintains As (with an occasional B). She doesn't love block scheduling, but she has adjusted to the schedule okay.
Honestly, I was more worried about her socially because she's somewhat shy and can be anxious. But, she's doing pretty well. She started a running program with one friend this fall and I really think that has helped a lot. She's dropped a few pounds which I can tell she's thrilled about. And, I love seeing her when they come in from a run and she's glowing like she could take on the world. I hope they can keep it up through the cold winter months. I think it's a very good activity for her.
I'm also proud of her for getting into school activitites even when her friends are not. She just went to the semiformal by herself because her BFF had a date and two of her other closest friends weren't going. I know she was nervous, but she had a good time just crusing around the dance with other (more distant) friends and new acquaintances. I'm not sure I would have done that at her age. I probably would have stayed home and been dissapointed. I'm glad she's getting braver and not holding herself back.

Happy March! Just thought I'd check in to see how all the future 2016 graduates are doing so far. My DS seems to be doing well. Found out that next year the school will be doing away with the block scheduling and going to 7 periods that are all 52 minutes or so long.

Happy March! Just thought I'd check in to see how all the future 2016 graduates are doing so far. My DS seems to be doing well. Found out that next year the school will be doing away with the block scheduling and going to 7 periods that are all 52 minutes or so long.

Oh that will be crappy.

Dd will be going to NYC in a couple weeks during Spring Break with drama teacher chaperones and other kids. So excited for her.
And tomorrow have a guidance counselor meeting to discuss her goals and what course.path to take.

I just saw this thread so I thought I would Join in!

DD14 is our 2nd out of 5 kiddos. our oldest is a Freshman in college. What was I thinking?!

With DD14 we are looking at colleges and ideas way before the end of her Jr year as we had done with older sis.

Oh that will be crappy.

Dd will be going to NYC in a couple weeks during Spring Break with drama teacher chaperones and other kids. So excited for her.
And tomorrow have a guidance counselor meeting to discuss her goals and what course.path to take.

DS chose his courses for next year about a month or so ago so that is done. I can't believe how fast this year is going!

NYC sounds like fun.

I just saw this thread so I thought I would Join in!

DD14 is our 2nd out of 5 kiddos. our oldest is a Freshman in college. What was I thinking?!

With DD14 we are looking at colleges and ideas way before the end of her Jr year as we had done with older sis.

DS15 has decided that he wants to go into the United States Naval Academy. Not sure where he came up with that idea. I told him to keep thinking of other places to apply to just because not everyone gets into their first choice.

So far DD is doing well this year. All A's so far- this semester she has Honors Geometry, Honors Biology, Honors World History, and Software Development. She also made the JV soccer team, so she has had practices and games every day after school since mid-February. They just finished registering online for next years' classes- seems like sophomore year is hurtling toward us!!

Let's keep this going for the Class of 2016! :cool1:

How was the school year for everyone?

What's happening for sophomore year?

DD's freshman year went great! and she is really excited for her sophomore year.

Last year they got a new choir/showchoir director and he is WONDERFUL!! He is really expanding the program and has the kids absolutely loving all the changes he is making.

Next year will be expensive but, I think, great opportunity wise with the travel and things he has planned. They will perform all over Washington DC in the spring and in the fall they will travel to several universities to perform with the choirs and work with the university directors.

Academically, she really excelled like never before. The teachers at her high school just seem to pull kids out and really get them to learn and enjoy it!! DD's downfall has always been English. Not anymore!

They are on the block schedule so English I was a one semester class. She met the teacher just before Christmas and the semester break. Dd thought she was going to hate the lady and kept saying "but she is soooo OCD". It turned out that teacher ended up being one of her favorites and she has even inspired dd to read some books that I never thought she would read.

I will say there were some shocks to the "high school world" with the behavior of some students especially the girls! Way more uhmmm. . . "looseness" than I expected. DD was shocked too! But after the first 9 weeks, she found her place with friends that she is comfortable with and of course she always has her bff.

Dd enjoyed her Freshman year,so I am very happy she acclimated so easily.

Next year: drivers ed for her 2 nd semester

hereyago said:
Dd enjoyed her Freshman year,so I am very happy she acclimated so easily.

Next year: drivers ed for her 2 nd semester

DD15 also acclimated very easily. I was stunned. She maintained straight As all year, and marched in the Sugar Bowl in NOLA.

Hi! I'm late to this party but better late than never. My oldest is going to be a sophomore this year, last year didn't really feel like high school since our district groups grades together differently. We have K-5, 6-7, 8-9, and 10-12 buildings.

Band camp is August 5-9 and then classes start on the 15th. Class schedule is planned out for the next 3 years to fit everything in. It's going to go fast!

Hi! I'm late to this party but better late than never. My oldest is going to be a sophomore this year, last year didn't really feel like high school since our district groups grades together differently. We have K-5, 6-7, 8-9, and 10-12 buildings.

Band camp is August 5-9 and then classes start on the 15th. Class schedule is planned out for the next 3 years to fit everything in. It's going to go fast!

DD starts back the 6th! And her choir director has them starting back on July 29th with regular practice and such.

It is going to go back too fast. DD wants to be a make up artist and plans to go to school in NOLA. She has been talking to some in the profession that have suggested a certain school there. Last year when she was talking about visiting the school, it seemed soooo far away but now it seems like its so CLOSE!!!

School here starts August 26th. DS15 got is schedule in the mail a couple of weeks ago and we had to contact the school to have one of his classes changed. To free up his time he is taking an online health class approved by the school but they forgot and added it in for this school year. Now he needs to pick out a different half a year class to fill in that space.

I think he is looking forward to getting the year started. Me, I'm nervous as my DS12 is going Into 7th grade which is in the same building as the high school kids. They keep them as separated from the HS kids as they can but just knowing I have two kids in the high school makes me feel old. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter