• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Hello! Just fyi, this thread is geared toward the college class of 2020, not high school. So glad your DD has a good head on her shoulders, and totally agree with how important it is who their friends are! Good luck to her!
Thanks for that heads up:o

So my real concern is how hard is it to take two foreign languages at the same time?

DD had to be back at school on 1/2. Her school has an "interim" in January, where the students take only one class. Many go Abroad or do something domestically, but not on campus (last year a group took a Political Science class in New Hampshire that focused on the Primaries). Freshmen are pretty much on campus, but it is a quieter, more laid back campus.

Anyway, DD is "living her dream". (Her words!). Her class is "Musical production" and she is in the cast of "Sister Act." They rehearse all day/evening and will perform it right in the beginning of Second Semester. I will go see her college debut, and it falls on her birthday weekend so I am excited.

She was also greeted by her new roommate when she got back to campus! She is a new (transfer) student from the WestCoast. They get along pretty well, but DD is not around very much to have any problems. She does miss her single. I wish the school would have given her a "heads up" about her roommate. She just opened her door and "surprise!"

First week back for DD, she has a very packed Tuesday with rest of days pretty light-but she thinks they will be harder classes. She had a great time with her grandparents in Puerta Vallarta but I think it was pretty tough to come home, then turn around and leave back to school-mean mommy here just told her "welcome to real life" LOLOL! She was excited to get back though-Waiting for the DCP apps for fall to open up.

Seems easier to adjust this time to her being gone-not that I like it any better lol but not as hard of an adjustment.

My two are milking their last few days of vaca. They did order books and those have started coming in in the mail. Bills are paid, classes settled. I told them when they start back next week they're going to hit the floor running!

Daughter went back on Monday, and seems to like all her classes so far. The financial office told us the amount being refunded for books and it leaves $600 after the books were ordered. I'm assuming we return that $600 to the bank for the loan?

DD is back at school. It's interesting that 3 of her friend group have not come back for second semester for various reasons. Is that normal?

DD is back at school. It's interesting that 3 of her friend group have not come back for second semester for various reasons. Is that normal?

My son lost his roommate at semester freshman year, and some fallout is normal. But 3 from her group seems like a lot.

Yes, it does seem like a lot. Well, her classes seem to be ironed out. She is currently taking two foreign languages back to back. We will see how that goes. Im not sure what her major will eventually be. She seems to be changing her mind daily. lol. I hope foreign languages are useful no matter what she ends up with.

Oh, and I asked DD if any of her friends had left the program and she said none that she knows of yet. (Just started back yesterday, but they all kept in touch over break.)

^ Why two, punkin? Won't that get confusing?

Yes. I'm afraid it will, but that's what she wants. She decided she really enjoyed taking a new foreign language last semester and wants to continue it, but also doesn't want to lose the language she has studied for several years in high school. She is also heavily overloaded this semester, taking 19 credits, so I'm very nervous. Additionally, she is taking classes from all over the place; there doesn't seem to be any rhyme, reason or goal other than she wants to. I suppose that's fine first year, but I worry about sequences for any possible major in the future.

Ah. Sounds like a tough semester! My DD is taking 18 as well, as part of her program, to stay on course. My fingers are crossed, too.

Oy. Nothing is ever smooth. The foreign language teacher told DD she's too advanced for the class; she needs to take a higher level, but that interferes with another class, so the whole schedule needs to be reworked. It's a mess. Also, I'm not sure the teacher is right. DD is very advanced orally, but her writing/spelling is atrocious.

Just got a phone call from DD. Everything is fine academically, but she cracked her phone screen at a frat party Saturday night and it is not usable now. She was having an absolute panic attack over it. I found her a place to fix it. It's not cheap, but really not worth a freak out.

Just found out ds is pledging a professional fraternity (phi alpha delta). 90 guys rushed, they took the 20 that got bids to a nice restaurant last night. It was. It was between this one and a social one, but this one has been on campus forever, and has a lot of business majors in it. Ds says it is a social business fraternity, not a surprise with him. His goal is to be on the deans list all 5 years, we will see.

Well, lets hope this semester he does better than the first. Bills all paid, and back to school for almost a month now. He's ready to student teach/shadow, so I am hoping he grows up some more, and likes the profession of teaching that he thinks he wants.

Glad to hear all the kids are back at school. This first year of college is flying by.

Anyone's kids working while at college? My daughter applied for a lot of jobs in her college area and interviewed at DSW. They didn't hire her. Next week she has an interview at Dave & Buster's. I'm thinking she didn't get the DSW job because daughter was honest and told them she would need off for Spring Break and not able to work every day, just Thursdays and weekends. Also that she won't be living near campus in the Summer so no work then.

After all the panic early first semester of "failing" DD made a 4.0 and Chancellor's list. She also was accepted to DCP fall internship. She has really matured this past semester-already has talked to advisor about scholarship and how DCP may affect that (it won't-just on hold), perhaps the biggest surprise to me is she is going to apply to be an "Ambassador" Fall 2018. This involves leading tour groups of prospective students etc-in other words speaking in front of groups!!!! This from a child who would get so nervous about even ordering in a restaurant to what amounts to public speaking! This school seems to be a really good fit for her.

I agree @Lynne G - this year is flying by!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter