High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Anyone's kids working while at college? My daughter applied for a lot of jobs in her college area and interviewed at DSW. They didn't hire her. Next week she has an interview at Dave & Buster's. I'm thinking she didn't get the DSW job because daughter was honest and told them she would need off for Spring Break and not able to work every day, just Thursdays and weekends. Also that she won't be living near campus in the Summer so no work then.
My DD is in a very rural area and cannot find a job. Almost every job on campus is work study and she doesn't qualify. Besides, I don't think she has time as she's taking 19 credits this semester.

My DD works on campus at her dorm's front desk. She works only about 4-6 hours/week and can study at the same time. This semester she was unable to attend the scheduling meeting, so got stuck working 12-2am on Friday and 10-2 am on Saturday. She is a night owl, but I'm surprised that those hours wouldn't rotate.

I flew out to visit her last weekend to celebrate her birthday and see her perform her college debut. She was absolutely terrific! It was really nice to meet some of her friends. We spent Saturday together running some errands and shopping. I'm glad I could go.

Now that show ended and she auditioned for another one this week! She was so happy to be called back--one of only 4 Freshmen that did. The cast list will be posted Friday at 5 pm so she won't know until then. I'm really proud of her for just trying out! Getting noticed is the hardest part.

This year is flying bye..My DD has a week off for spring break next week and she has finished her work study for the year. She has been applying for scholarships for next year and she is done for the year the first week of May.

And we are planning a Disney trip for August !!

This year is flying bye..My DD has a week off for spring break next week and she has finished her work study for the year. She has been applying for scholarships for next year and she is done for the year the first week of May.

And we are planning a Disney trip for August !!

Same here. DD has spring break next week and has it jam packed with plans already. She is doing well in school and has decided to add extra stuff to her life. Hopefully she won't over extend herself and get stressed out again. She is training with her brother and friends to be a pro-wrestler. With the training and being a part of the shows, she is on the road with them every other weekend, sometimes every weekend. So this weekend they leave Friday for a show in Florida and will be back Sunday night for instance. Its like every Sunday, once a month in Florida, once a month in town here and whatever other shows they pick up. And after Spring Break she plans to start some online courses to be a personal trainer. She hopes to open a gym someday.

It is amazing how their first year at college is almost over! Daughter is on Spring break this week. She met with some friends who were also on break and also volunteered at her old volunteer job.

She made the Dean's list, we are so proud of her. She is done for the year May 10th. Then she and her friend from high school will be taking off for a resort area down South to find jobs for the Summer. The friends grandma owns a condo down there and is letting the girls have the condo for the Summer. What an opportunity.

This is midterms week, so DD is in total freak out mode. However, I think she's actually doing fine, since she's mostly freaking about a B in one class. She's home next week and we are doing doctors' appointments (eye, ent, pediatrician) and haircut. Pretty busy during the day, but she has going out to concerts plans with high school friends almost every night.

Sounds like DD's schedule is pretty similar. She is off for Spring break in two weeks and then finishes up the second week of May. She made Dean's list the first semester but says she is struggling more this semester so we will see how it goes. We are going on a DCL cruise in August (Alaska plus 4 nights in Vancouver) so I don't know if she can find a job for just June/July.

It seems like we just got her moved into the Dorm and it is almost time to start thinking of moving her back home already. We are still unsure if she will be living in the dorm next year or commuting.

Daughter is waiting for word if she and 3 other college friends got accepted for an apartment for next semester. Time for daughter to learn how to cook lol

DD is on spring break next week- she will be home with us. Excited to see her!

She made President's List for Fall semester- so far she is feeling that this semester won't be all A's. That is fine with us- we know her classes are a bit tougher this spring.

She and one of her current roommates are both in the Engineering fraternity, Theta Tau. They are going to be moving into the frat house together next year, which will be great for us- much less expensive than their current dorm, and still on campus (most non freshmen have to move off campus because there isn't enough dorm space).

Yes Spring Break is coming up fast! The other kids school's spring break starts this Friday, but the college kid's doesn't start until a week from Friday. I want to get a couple more chicks so it will actually work out to have someone around to watch the new babies for a couple weeks. Then she is done around May 11th. But she is doing summer school (2 classes) so she doesn't fall off her "fast track", and this way she doesn't have to worry about college classes with the DCP this fall. She is just waiting to see if the community college offers both her classes or if she needs to do one at CC and one at local state university (where she already had taken classes in HS).
Year is going by fast! This time last year we were in DC for her graduation trip, and planning for graduation and she was making her decision on where to go to school!

It's package time again! Any ideas for our freshmen spending Easter at school? I'm sending a box with laffy taffy and a water bottle, he doesn't enjoy chocolate or other candy...don't want to burden him with stuff he just has to pack up at the beginning of May. I will add some gift cards but this just feels skimpy.

What if anything are your kids getting for Easter?

Maria :upsidedow

It's package time again! Any ideas for our freshmen spending Easter at school? I'm sending a box with laffy taffy and a water bottle, he doesn't enjoy chocolate or other candy...don't want to burden him with stuff he just has to pack up at the beginning of May. I will add some gift cards but this just feels skimpy.

What if anything are your kids getting for Easter?

Maria :upsidedow

In addition to my freshman DD, I also have a DD who is a sophomore this year. I sent her this box last year. It's not really Easter, but I thought it was a fun spring box!

IMG_1337.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1334.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry the pictures are so big. I think this is the first time I posted pics and I don't know how to make them smaller.

In addition to my freshman DD, I also have a DD who is a sophomore this year. I sent her this box last year. It's not really Easter, but I thought it was a fun spring box!

IMG_1337.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1334.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1337.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1334.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm going to go up and visit DD next weekend. She's really not doing too well. Recurring sinus infections and horrible headaches make it difficult to study. The antibiotics (for the sinus infections) are making her nauseated, making it difficult to eat. She came home last week so thin...I dragged her to the ENT and she thinks DD may need surgery. She prescribed stronger antibiotics, suggested irrigating the sinuses daily, steroid nose spray...

On the bright side, she got all her midterm grades in and one B with the rest As. I'm so proud of her despite her health issues, she's pushing through!

My son is still at the Community College and doing well. He will need to take 3 classes over the summer in order for him to finish his AA by next year. We have the classes for Summer and Fall in the cart but we can't register until April 25th.

We are thrilled though, not only is he still getting all A's, but he says he wants to go to a 4 year school after this and finish his BA! There is no local program in what he wants, but we are looking at moving, and if so, he could still live at home and go to a school that will have what he is looking for.

My son is still at the Community College and doing well. He will need to take 3 classes over the summer in order for him to finish his AA by next year. We have the classes for Summer and Fall in the cart but we can't register until April 25th.

We are thrilled though, not only is he still getting all A's, but he says he wants to go to a 4 year school after this and finish his BA! There is no local program in what he wants, but we are looking at moving, and if so, he could still live at home and go to a school that will have what he is looking for.

I am so happy to hear this. It's really nice to know that good kids manage to find their way.

I'm going to go up and visit DD next weekend. She's really not doing too well. Recurring sinus infections and horrible headaches make it difficult to study. The antibiotics (for the sinus infections) are making her nauseated, making it difficult to eat. She came home last week so thin...I dragged her to the ENT and she thinks DD may need surgery. She prescribed stronger antibiotics, suggested irrigating the sinuses daily, steroid nose spray...

On the bright side, she got all her midterm grades in and one B with the rest As. I'm so proud of her despite her health issues, she's pushing through!
oh that just sucks that she is feeling so awful! Good job to her for her grades though-that had to be tough.
We are thrilled though, not only is he still getting all A's, but he says he wants to go to a 4 year school after this and finish his BA!
Awesome!

@ski_mom - cool package idea! Mine gets a snack box monthly

Spring break this week for the college kid-we did get 2 more chicks so she is "chick sitting" the babies during the day. She actually slept on kitchen floor next to them (the chicks were in the brooder under heat lamp) the first night we had them as we have one who cries LOUDLY when she isn't held. She is getting better now thankfully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter