High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

DD is taking next semester abroad. She is home now for break. She's starting to look for summer internships. No grades yet, but she seems unworried. Her sinuses are bad but not as bad as last winter. Her ENT is suggesting surgery this summer. We will see.

My son goes back to school Saturday. He has this quarter and then will officially be a Junior. They didn't accept all of his transfer credits.

He is trying to decide if he wants to go to school summer quarter and make up some time. I told him to give it this quarter and since the decision doesn't have to be made until half way through Spring quarter, he can wait until then. I know he wants to get DONE and get on with his life, but I also know he needs time to rest and process. And he is going to try to get an internship for next summer, which will trump classes.

Our daughter had a great first semester this year. Super busy, but her "best yet."
She's off campus sharing an apartment with four other girls, which she loves. The only issue she has had is some resp issues/wheezing. We suspect the former tenants had a cat because that's her only allergy that we know of. She's managing, but she has been taking allergy meds all semester to manage.
She changed her major to chemistry with a concentration in biochemistry.
She started tutoring chemistry on campus this semester, which she loves. It's an ideal job since its scheduled around her class schedule; and, she gets to come home for all her regular breaks. When she goes back in January, she will be working on a research project where they are attempting to create an alternative form of pain reliever (non-opioid), which she is sooo excited about. So, all in all, junior year is going great!
She's hoping to be accepted into a paid summer research program this year. This will improve her grad school applications and pays a nice stipend. We'll miss her at home; but, I know it's what she really wants. The pay is better than most any summer job she could get here, and her apartment is year-round so no change in cost of living... so, I'm hoping and praying it all turns out.

Hard to believe halfway through Junior year. Mine got a job at Mcalisters Deli, which has limited her ability to come home. We spent the week of Christmas in Florida-which she didn't want to do, so she got time with grandparents. She also got accepted onto a competition team for her field, although not in her interest (geology but the competition has to do with petroleum). She is the only undergrad on the team and she is pretty excited. Will look really good on her resume. She is still torn between wanting to apply for a couple different field experience internships this summer vs applying for 3rd DCP summer program. Have encouraged her to do both and then decide. No guarantee she will get any of them...
She did get all A's for the semester, so she is pretty happy about that.

One week into the new quarter and my son is the happiest I have seen him yet. He has never been this positive. He shares and on-campus apartment with 3 guys. Two of them requested to room with him and are friends (remember, he has Autism, so making friends is difficult, so I am thrilled.). First quarter they had a roommate placed in there who kept cooking at 4am and setting off the fire alarm. He left and now they have a new roommate who seems nice.

So, the roommate situation is now great (he had a rough year living away from home last year and one really bad roommate situation last year.)

And he feels he has a good handle on his classes now too. One prof. has already used his work as an example of how to do it for the class, and the other is known to be "the toughest for this department but if you do the work you will really learn" and he loves him.

I am excited for the possibilities.

It sounds like everyone's kids have settled into their college lives quite nicely. It was fun watching that transformation from nervous freshmen to relatively stable juniors! :laughing: It is hard to believe they're already over the halfway hump and on the howeward stretch!

I read back a couple of pages, our kids are doing some exciting things, aren't they? Would love to hear some updates about how the DCP was, how the semester abroad was, the projects, etc.

Dawn, I am so thrilled for your son! I have a nephew with autism and I know how worried parents can be about them. How great that he's found a good group of friends and is living independently and getting his classes together, etc.! You must be so proud of him! :goodvibes

It sounds like a lot of people have some extra classes to take for whatever reason.

DS is in the same boat, but just one behind. He's deciding if he wants to take an online summer course this summer or not. He really doesn't want to, but knows he probably should. He will be working and playing his sport for a summer team. He is thinking about the military after graduation. We think it would probably be good for him, as he has the right type of personality for it, he can learn additional skills, and it will open up some job opportunities later on. But we'll see - he has more exploring to do. He also found out he can fairly easily double major, which we'd never thought he'd do, but his advisor pointed out that it makes sense in his case (since he changed his major and took a variety of classes), so he's deciding on it and if so, what he wants his second major to be, there are two choices. He also has been living since last summer in an off campus house with five of his teammates, and it's been good for him. His grades were improved this past semester compared to being a commuter. It just got to be too much between classes and playing a sport to be commuting in heavy traffic every day. Had he not been playing a sport, though, he'd probably still be commuting, especially where he could do his schedule so that he only had classes on certain days and could skip a couple of commutes weekly; but he can't always do that. This semester he has to be there daily. (Already is, as he has practices and workouts daily now even though classes don't start for a couple of weeks yet.) He has also starting dating a nice young lady he met in class, who is a lot like he is, so they seem to get along really well!

DD has been working super hard to get ahead of her classes, as the ones she has are pretty tough. (Nursing.) A lot of the friends she made freshman year have either dropped out of the program or dropped back a semester when they didn't pass a class, so that was a bummer for her and it also made her anxious about passing her own classes. But she's hung in there. She took summer classes and even a two week intensive winter class last year so that she could keep just her major's classes during the regular semesters and that strategy has worked out pretty well as it allowed her to concentrate on the most difficult courses without a lot of papers and projects on the periphery. She is holed up quite a bit of the time making study guides and working on projects, and generally has a little bit of a freak out about 3/4 of the way through the semester, lol, but she really enjoys what she's learning and she only has seven classes left, so the end point is in sight! She still commutes but that works as she is only at school now two days a week, the other days she is in the hospital for clinicals (where she is meeting so many other new people, some of whom are older, with more life experience, some who even have children) and usually has a weekday off, too.

She also got a job in a hospital last spring so she works one or two shifts per week, and she's meeting lots of people there, too, as well as getting some great practical experience. (And she has been a huge help to me with my elderly mother, who also provides her with some great experience! And we talk about nursing issues all the time so she's learning a lot from me, too; always has, actually.) Her clinical instructor had some good feedback for her this past semester - she is somewhat shy so he wasn't sure of what she knew, but he said that every time he asked her a question she always knew what was going on, so that was eye opening for her. (It happened during a job interview, as well.) So she is learning how people may view people based on their persona. She would love to do something like the DCP or a semester abroad but it's not possible in her program unless she leaves it. She has a nice boyfriend who is also in a tough program at a different school but she works near where he is so they get to see eachother, even if it's just for a quick bite to eat, and they often FaceTime while studying. She's not sure what area she wants to work in after graduation, it will just depend on where the job opportunities are. They seem to like her where she is so that might be a possibility - she was thrilled to be asked to train a new student recently! She is also thinking about what she might like to do long term, and whether she wants to go for a graduate degree in her field, but she just doesn't know yet. No rush. She will just be happy to be done! (And we'll be happy they're done! :teeth: )

One week into the new quarter and my son is the happiest I have seen him yet. He has never been this positive. He shares and on-campus apartment with 3 guys. Two of them requested to room with him and are friends (remember, he has Autism, so making friends is difficult, so I am thrilled.). First quarter they had a roommate placed in there who kept cooking at 4am and setting off the fire alarm. He left and now they have a new roommate who seems nice.

So, the roommate situation is now great (he had a rough year living away from home last year and one really bad roommate situation last year.)

And he feels he has a good handle on his classes now too. One prof. has already used his work as an example of how to do it for the class, and the other is known to be "the toughest for this department but if you do the work you will really learn" and he loves him.

I am excited for the possibilities.

DawnM, glad it's going so well for your son. My daughter has been so much happier in her apartment with four other girls than she was sharing a room in a dorm. Incidentally, one of her roommates is also autistic. It sounds like just about all of our 'kids' have now moved on to apartment living. I was shocked at how much cheaper it was then room and board in the dorm. That was a nice surprise. lol.

It sounds like everyone's kids have settled into their college lives quite nicely. It was fun watching that transformation from nervous freshmen to relatively stable juniors! :laughing: It is hard to believe they're already over the halfway hump and on the howeward stretch!

I read back a couple of pages, our kids are doing some exciting things, aren't they? Would love to hear some updates about how the DCP was, how the semester abroad was, the projects, etc.

Dawn, I am so thrilled for your son! I have a nephew with autism and I know how worried parents can be about them. How great that he's found a good group of friends and is living independently and getting his classes together, etc.! You must be so proud of him! :goodvibes

If you hadn't mentioned, I never would have thought about it... but it's almost like high school all over again how they blossom. The first year is so nerve-wracking; and, then, they come into their own.

One week into the new quarter and my son is the happiest I have seen him yet.
This is just so AWESOME!!! I can only imagine how happy you must be that he has found his "place", and how excited he must be as well!

as he has the right type of personality for it, he can learn additional skills, and it will open up some job opportunities later on. But we'll see -
Has he decided on a branch? My middle is determined to try for Air Force, but she wants to double major or dual degree in Art and Mechanical Engineering. I am not sure how those two very different areas of interest will work! She really loves math and is on robotics team, but she has been recognized for her writing and graphic design...
He also found out he can fairly easily double major,
Nice!
My oldest was also going to end up with double major, but after talking with her advisor yesterday (she went to discuss schedule as the grad students on her comp team have advised her to drop one of her really tough classes and do a different one instead-she wanted to see how that would work) she may end up with 2 degrees instead: BA geography, BS in geology. Same time frame, just different schedule of classes. Apparently this comp team is extremely intense.

as the ones she has are pretty tough. (Nursing.)

she only has seven classes left, so the end point is in sight!

Nursing is tough!! But it has to be: the nursing staff I have worked with (20+ years clinical dietitian) are the ones who really truly know their patients and keep hospital running. And she almost there! The thing with nursing is she can literally write her own career.

If she does want to "play" for a bit-the DCP changed and now allows up to a year after graduation to apply. So if she did want to work, or apply to grad school she has some breathing room. And really-it is all how you sell it in interviews: "I needed a recharge after graduation to sharpen my focus, and rededicate to my field. While at Disney i learned the value of (......fill in blank now)" I know so many dismiss the DCP, but it still opens doors even if not in your field.

MiL and FiL were here yesterday (they stay with us prior to flying out of our airport for a month in Puerto Vallarta). We were talking graduation and this time next year will be seriously talking about it!!! Where did the time go?? I am just hoping and praying that my oldest and middle don't have graduation on the same day!!!

DD is taking next semester abroad. She is home now for break. She's starting to look for summer internships. No grades yet, but she seems unworried. Her sinuses are bad but not as bad as last winter. Her ENT is suggesting surgery this summer. We will see.

Punkin, please keep us up to date on your daughter’s study abroad. My younger daughter HS class of 2019 is thinking of doing that too . Would be curious to know how your daughter finds housing.

It’s nice to hear the updates of our kids. My 2020 graduate will actually be graduating in 2021 because her first career choice did not work out- to be a music teacher because she injured her arm while doing all the practicing needed. She is sad but is now going for elementary education.

She also transferred to a college 12 hours away and living in a townhome with a friend near campus. We are all adjusting to her being so far away.
She will be living there even in the Summer with a job there.

Wow. I haven't posted on this thread since June 2017. How time gets away. Two DS now in college and empty nesting. It really is nice; although it does feel empty at times. DS1 in class of 2020 is somewhere in the East and South China Sea areas. Having been to Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Bintulu and Kuala Lampur since November 2018. When he gets back from sea this summer he will be a a first classman. The past 2.5 years have flown by. He ordered his ring and battle ring before leaving, which is pretty cool, and we just paid for them, and he will get them at the start of the school year in August. As a first classman he has the privilege of having a vehicle, so we have him one in the garage ready for him to take back with him in July. He is still undecided as to what he wants to do when he graduates, but, has been talking to the Navy about choosing/being assigned to medical school. He has no desire to fly, and, I expect that if he doesn't do the medical school route, he stays with being a "boat driver" either as a SWO or SSO. We haven't had much time with him, but did have him for a couple weeks before he received his orders for this part of sea year and were able to take him to visit DS2 who is a freshman in Hawaii. Stark difference between the lifestyles for sure, but, each DS fits in his respective school. DS1 said he doesn't think he could get into the standard college life, while DS2 says there is no way he would go to an Academy. It is amazing to see how, after all of the thought process and study which went into the decision making process, that the right school found the right student, and vice versa.

So nice to read the positive posts about others in school.

but, has been talking to the Navy about choosing/being assigned to medical school. He has no desire to fly, and, I expect that if he doesn't do the medical school route, he stays with being a "boat driver" either as a SWO or SSO
Either are pretty darn neat! And wow-what a totally different skill set!

It is amazing to see how, after all of the thought process and study which went into the decision making process, that the right school found the right student, and vice versa.
Right? My girls are so different! Hoping it works out for my 2nd dd as well as it did for your boys!

My DD is studying abroad this semester in South Africa. Hard to have her so far away. She has been gone for 3 weeks and won’t be back until July 1st. Also have DD2 in college. She is 7 hrs away. DD1 went to the State University that is local so it never seemed like she went away, I saw her often and she even lived at home last semester so that she could not have a lease when she left for study abroad. So it is a big adjustment for me to have them both gone.

My son's school changed the way they do the Senior Project so now there is no way to finish before May of 2021. So, he will have 2 years after this one.

We are ok with it.

I am hoping he can find an internship for the summer.

Ds is finishing a semester early (just like dd22 did), but will stay in his frat house and study for some professional exams (he mentioned series 7 and something else).

My DD is studying abroad this semester in South Africa. Hard to have her so far away. She has been gone for 3 weeks and won’t be back until July 1st. Also have DD2 in college. She is 7 hrs away. DD1 went to the State University that is local so it never seemed like she went away, I saw her often and she even lived at home last semester so that she could not have a lease when she left for study abroad. So it is a big adjustment for me to have them both gone.
:grouphug:

Well worst fears came true-my HS senior and college senior graduating on same day, 2 hours apart in time but 3 hours apart in driving distance.
On the upside-college senior has a couple really good options for funded graduate school programs and likes both the professors in the programs, and the research. She met them both at a conference she went to this past week to present her research from summer internship.
One program at Purdue, one at UofF in Gainesville.

Well worst fears came true-my HS senior and college senior graduating on same day, 2 hours apart in time but 3 hours apart in driving distance.
On the upside-college senior has a couple really good options for funded graduate school programs and likes both the professors in the programs, and the research. She met them both at a conference she went to this past week to present her research from summer internship.
One program at Purdue, one at UofF in Gainesville.

That's so sad…. :( Have you talked to your kids yet? What do they say? I hope you can find a special way to celebrate both events. My daughter hasn't decided if she even wants to participate in her college graduation or not. She's not that interested, but her dad wants her to, so she's 'thinking about it.' lol
My daughter is also getting grad school acceptances and it looks like they will be funded as well, which is such a huge relief. We really had no idea what to expect, no one in our families have gone further than a masters. So far, she's had offers Texas, Colorado and Indiana. She's got two more that she' very interested in and she's hoping to hear from. Visits are being scheduled for around February so far, so she'll have to decide which ones she wants to look at closer and schedule those. It's going to be a busy final semester, but exciting too.
I hope all of our "kids" are having a great senior year!!

I’m guessing ds will eventually go to grad school, next semester he had one class and a paid internship, and he signed a job offer with the company for after graduation. The good news is that it’s a great offer, the bad news (for me) is it’s by his college, he will stay in his fraternity house until he finds something else. It’s funny to think of him leaving it every morning in a suit and tie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter