• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hollywood Studios Expansion

LOL, DHS needs a bulldozer. No matter how they try to expand/renovate the park layout is just horrible.
It's not an operational studio any more right? So I'm guessing a lot of those backstage buildings aren't necesary anymore. Just level and start new (yeah I know it won't happen) and they will have a ton more room.

I love the basic premise of Hollywood studios but that is it, it seriously needs something like cars land. Cant believe we dont have a Star Wars land and I am not some star wars geek either just saying that. Id love to see the indian jones ride come to Hollywood studios too, the one in Tokyo is my favorite ride in the park.

I just wish they would return the backstage tour to its former version. I miss the bee and Dick Tracy.

LOL, DHS needs a bulldozer. No matter how they try to expand/renovate the park layout is just horrible.It's not an operational studio any more right? So I'm guessing a lot of those backstage buildings aren't necesary anymore. Just level and start new (yeah I know it won't happen) and they will have a ton more room.

:thumbsup2 this is the main thing..there should be a cut through from art of animations and disney Jr. playhouse to sunse blvd.

Mk has the best layout,.. besdies the hub,, there are all the cut throughs, short suts,e tc.!!!

The very first thing I saw on my first visit 7 years ago was the hat. The hat to me is a welcome sight and brings back memories of that first experience.

Wow! Great article! All the changes sound exciting to me with the exception of the hat demolition. To me, the hat is to HS as the sphere is to Epcot. My biggest beef with HS is a small one - the entrance. I hate the entrance. It just looks so dated, but not in a cool retro way.

I've read elsewhere in this section of the forum that some members insist that Disney won't sink money into this park b/c any of these sorts of upgrades are basically just robbing Peter to pay Paul (moving attendance from one park to another but no change in overall attendance). I'm a virtual Disney newbie even though I was just there in Feb and am planning our next trip inside of a year from that one, but I think part of the equation for the non-Disney diehards is keeping it fresh. If Disney doesn't invest in its parks and bring new attractions, then why keep coming back? (that's rhetorical for the die-hards as I'm sure the list could get long) For me, that's the draw. I can't wait to see the new Fantasyland even though I was virtually just at MK. That's what's bringing me back so quickly. As for switching out Beauty and the Beast for Tangled - makes sense to me! I far prefer Tangled, it's fresher, and it's probably more popular with a larger demographic (i.e. girls AND boys). I really hope they do reinvigorate HS b/c I think it needs it and it's my least favorite park with the exception of .... yep, the NEW(ish) Toy Story Mania. Oh and the Monsters Inc ride - :cheer2: I've always thought the doors would make an awesome and obvious roller coaster ride. I would, however, like it to be more of a classic coaster than one full of nausea-inducing "firsts," but I know that's not likely.

The very first thing I saw on my first visit 7 years ago was the hat. The hat to me is a welcome sight and brings back memories of that first experience.

It was plopped down in the middle of an accurate re-creation of a period of Hollywood, with the Chinese Theater as the centerpiece. The Hat has no place there besides being a glorified pin-trading kiosk and a new "icon" of the park, despite the fact they already had an icon, the Earful Tower (water towers like that one have been synonomous with movie studios since the beginning)

Maybe so for you, but the hat was just plopped there for the 100 years of Magic promo and has been an eyesore to many of us since. The visual of the theater is so beautiful without the hat obstructing it. They took the awful wand off of the geodesic dome in Epcot, thank goodness, now it is time to move the hat ...it would make a great place for security to go through the bags outside the gates, lol.

It was plopped down in the middle of an accurate re-creation of a period of Hollywood, with the Chinese Theater as the centerpiece. The Hat has no place there besides being a glorified pin-trading kiosk and a new "icon" of the park, despite the fact they already had an icon, the Earful Tower (water towers like that one have been synonomous with movie studios since the beginning)

agreed, I think the hat was a gimmick to 'add' an icon where Earful was perfect. problem was, it was't 'IN' the park. Frankly the hat blocks the view of the theater as you walk down hollywood blvd.

I was really hoping when they put it up that it would be temporary like the hand and wand on Spaceship Earth was in 2000 (i think)

Exactly, kind of ruins the effect of being in the early 1900s Hollywoodland. What was the point of putting all the effort into recreating a classic time period? The hat has to go...
The real issue of why it is there though comes down to park layout again. It was decided that every park would have a center/frontpiece that guests could see from anywhere and could use to orientate themselves.
Every park was designed for this concept except DHS. The ear tower wasn't at the center or front so they decided to leave the hat in for this purpose. The problem was the park was not designed for this concept and it really only works with more of a hub and spoke layout. That is something HS can never be so no reason to have a centerpiece.
Whoever came up with the flow design of HS needs to be fired. If they don't work for Disney they need to be rehired so they can be fired again.

Whoever came up with the flow design of HS needs to be fired. If they don't work for Disney they need to be rehired so they can be fired again.

:rotfl2::lmao:

Love it!

Anyway, let's go back, way back in some time....here is the park map as Disney MGM studios opened. Notice how much isn't there. Also, I can't remember if the New York/Streets of America was actually walkable back then, or if it was just part of the Backlot tour.

http://www.yesterland.com/images-studios/mgmmap.gif

I agree, it has become such a focal point now although I do feel sorry for the Great Movie Ride theatre as you can't see it at all.

As long as we're all putting on out Imagineer hats on, why not istead of copying the CA facade, incorporate the socerer's hat into the Grat Movie Ride Facade....just a thought...great icon, just out of place where it is now...

Love it!

Anyway, let's go back, way back in some time....here is the park map as Disney MGM studios opened. Notice how much isn't there. Also, I can't remember if the New York/Streets of America was actually walkable back then, or if it was just part of the Backlot tour.

Thank you for this map. Brings back SO many memories. I have to go dig out our old stuff maps!

Love it!

LOL, I was pretty sure that it was always walkable. That map seems to indicate that it was part of the tram ride though and it is blocked off to foot traffic.
I wonder if this might have been a prelaunch plan then they maybe changed their minds before opening?
I agree that is an awesome huge tram ride and it was sad to lose it. But to be fair, much has been added really since that map. ToT, RR and the Muppets…
The building for Star Tours is there but it is blocked off. Same for Toy Story, I just can't think what was in that building if it wasn't open to foot traffic?
Too bad they couldn't keep a cool tram ride and add everything else. It's really the stunt show that circumcised it though.

Well take this for what it's worth, but we are at Disney now. There was very clearly a group of VIP execs walking around the gift shop/exit area of Backlot Tour as we were milling about the other day. It was Tuesday morning. I only noticed them because my son wanted to see if they would trade Pins but I told him it looked like some kind of business meeting and we should leave them alone:rotfl: (Don't worry.. he managed to find about 30 other cast members to trade with this week:rolleyes1). There had to be about 10 or so well dressed people discussing something.

It would seem that would be the execs they are referring to wandering around in the article. Maybe I am off base but we'll see soon I'm sure.

Well take this for what it's worth, but we are at Disney now. There was very clearly a group of VIP execs walking around the gift shop/exit area of Backlot Tour as we were milling about the other day. It was Tuesday morning. I only noticed them because my son wanted to see if they would trade Pins but I told him it looked like some kind of business meeting and we should leave them alone:rotfl: (Don't worry.. he managed to find about 30 other cast members to trade with this week:rolleyes1). There had to be about 10 or so well dressed people discussing something.

It would seem that would be the execs they are referring to wandering around in the article. Maybe I am off base but we'll see soon I'm sure.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Execs walking around don't necessarily have to be Disney executives. Disney still runs countless conferences and training programs and bring high level execs not the parks for those sessions. My uncle was one of them in may. Not saying they weren't Disney execs but not all business people walking around the parks are. in fact the park they took my uncles group to was dhs specifically and I know his company was sending managers in waves all year.

So they are postponing Avatarland indefinately and I read Disney is announcing a expansion in HS tonight... Expanding Fantasmic seating and a POTC were all that were mentioned. Hopefully this is true but we will find out tonight!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter