Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog! LINK TO TRIP REPORT!!!

tinacaplan

DIS Veteran
WELCOME TO MY PTR! :woohoo:

DISCLAIMER: I just realized I started this PTR way back in May!! I can hardly believe that much time has passed. Of course, my plans have changed tremendously, as these plans so often do. We are now all booked and while I won't spoil the suprise, I will let you know in advance that we are NOT travelling with anyone else this time; just my husband and my son, Max. More on the two of them later.

So, what I'm saying is that you can skip probably the first five or six pages of this PTR....
:rotfl:

Complete with pictures and a ton of planning information that will be taking shape over the coming months. I really welcome any and all input, as I've never planned a trip of this scale before. Nor have I planned a trip with a three year-old. :rotfl:

Yes, Max, we will be going to EFCOT!

When: February 21-25, 2011

QUESTION ONE: What trip will we be taking this coming February?

a. my son's first Disney trip with just my husband and I
b. my son's first Disney trip with us and my parents
c. my son's first Disney trip with us, my parents, and our Auntie Ha-Ha

Only time may answer that. For now, though, I think we'll go with choice B, as it seems the most likely at this point. As you will all see in future posts, taking my father to Disneyworld, given his health problems, will make that option the most involved and require the greatest amount of planning. Adding on my Auntie Ha-Ha won't change things too tremendously, just require a two bedroom villa, rather than a one bed room.

But I am getting ahead of myself already!

Really quick intros, more information to come later:

My son Max...he will be three July 7. Photo to come later. I need to upload a decent, more recent one to photobucket!

And my husband and I...at Disneyworld this past February:

SDC11231.jpg

If you are just DYING to know what happens and want to skip a lot of hand-wringing and decision making on my part, feel free to skip ahead to page 5...that's where the real fun planning starts!

Just a few more basic facts before I really get the party started... :banana:

When: February 21-26, 2011
Both my husband and I are teachers, so we are somewhat limited as to when we can go, so President's Week it will be...AGAIN. Have to say that we were there this past February and it didn't seem so bad. :confused3

Where will we stay?
All depends on who's coming... I'm pricing out a lot of different options, while keeping in mind my dad's somewhat limited mobility (more on that later).

A. If we do end up ALL going, I'm leaning heavily toward one or two bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower. I have wanted to stay at the Contemporary since I was a kid and rode the monorail through the first time. I couldn't imagine how fabulously wealthy the people who got to stay there must have been! :rotfl: I also love the decor at both resorts and the somewhat subtle Mickey heads everywhere will delight my Mickey-loving son.

SDC11314.jpg

B. BUT...if it does end up just being my husband, son, and myself we will be staying at Coronado Springs. We stayed there this past February and thought the resort was gorgeous. The recently rehabbed rooms are bonus and the resort felt very centrally located to me.

And BONUS FUN FACT...I have read in several places that the travel times from BLT to any park other than the MK is pretty long...longer than the travel times from CSR. :laughing:

So, here again...will I choose A or B? Only time will tell, my friends.

SDC11458.jpg

Who Are We?

My son Max will turn three this July 7.
IMG_1017.jpg

I can hardly believe he's already almost three! Where does the time go? :confused3 He is an active, energetic, bouncy boy who also loves to read and draw. I swear I didn't start it, but he has become completely obsessed with Mickey's Clubhouse. A few trips to the Disney store later, he has several stuffed toys, including most of the clubhouse gang. He carries them with him all over the place!

He also enjoys the Toy Story movies and Finding Nemo. In fact, when we went to Disneyworld in February, we brought him home a Nemo, because we didn't think he cared that much about Mickey! :lmao: Kids change so quickly!

Once my husband and I fell in love with Disneyworld, we knew we had to take Max down as soon as possible. I will get into the "why" behind our trip a little later, but really, it is all about Max at this point. I am going to plan this trip entirely around him.

I can't wait to show him the World! :woohoo:

And here's another fun photo of Max learning how to roll his own sushi...so he's all set for the Deluxe Dining Plan...or at least a night at the Cali Grill! :lmao:
SDC11615.jpg

CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS TRIP!! :lmao: Unfortunately, most of the people I know already think I talk about Disney a little too much..so..please, fellower Disers, say hi!

Hi Im following your Trip report. I will be going in May 2011. My family thinks a talk about Disney too much too! But can there ever be too much Disney talk?:rotfl2:

Hi Im following your Trip report. I will be going in May 2011. My family thinks a talk about Disney too much too! But can there ever be too much Disney talk?:rotfl2:

THANKS! Glad to have you aboard. And no, I don't think I could ever talk about Disney too much! :rotfl:

Didn't have the greatest day at school today.... :headache: and when I came home I showed my mom pictures of BLT and we talked the options over. I have stressed to her that we want to pay for most of the trip, as I think if my dad doesn't make this trip now, he probably never will.
That said, we're both concerned about his mobility problems. My dad played football in highschool and college and it kind of wrecked his body. He has serious arthritis, his hips are completely out of wack from some old injuries, and he has heart problems. He looks a great deal healthier than he is. I know that it has been extremely hard for him to deteriorate to the point he has. He finds using a cane incredibly embarrassing and rather than be embarrassed, he often chooses to stay home.
BUT...he certainly loves his one and only grandson and his grandson LOVES Disney, so... It also occured to all of us that Disney is one of the more handicapped accessible places you can go.
I also know that I get a lot of my love for Disney from my dad. My parents grew up watching the Mickeymouse Club and my dad still refers to Walt Disney as "Uncle Walt," from time to time. My dad took me to see the theatrical re-releases of nearly every Disney movie when I was a kid and it was a special thing that just he and I did together. :cloud9:
The two trips we took as a family when I was a kid are some of the greatest memories I have of my childhood.
Clearly, there are a lot of reasons it is so important that this trip happens..and that it happens soon!

Having said all of that, it looks like we DEFINITELY be paying the extra money to stay in a one bedroom villa at BLT. As I've said, I've always wanted to stay at the Contemporary and the new BLT looks beautiful. Plus, I think being on the monorail will be great, particularly for my son, since we will be spending a great deal of our time at the Magic Kingdom.

I'm so excited.

My parent's wedding anniversary (its over 40 years...) is this August and I think I'll put a full trip book together as a gift to get them excited! Yet another Disney thing to distract me!

It is so nice to know that Disney (and the Dis) is there for me when reality gets a little tough. :goodvibes

Hi! Thought I'd say hello! I'm also planning a trip, or two, rather, to the world, one in sept 2010 and the other in April 2011. Haven't done much for April yet, but Sept one is pretty much set! We're staying at the CR! I too saw it when I was young and wanted to stay in it esp because of the monorail! :cool1:

Looking forward to seeing your plans. Your family is really cute! Your son is adorable!

Hi! Thought I'd say hello! I'm also planning a trip, or two, rather, to the world, one in sept 2010 and the other in April 2011. Haven't done much for April yet, but Sept one is pretty much set! We're staying at the CR! I too saw it when I was young and wanted to stay in it esp because of the monorail! :cool1:

Looking forward to seeing your plans. Your family is really cute! Your son is adorable!

Thanks! I'll be sure to get over and check out your PTR, as well! Two trips...you are very lucky, indeed! :banana:

I'm here. I'm here. I'm here. I'm subscribing and will catch up when I get home from work tonight. Don't get too far ahead of me. :hug:

Tomorrow evening, I begin my fantastic journey chaperoning a trip for about forty of my eighth grade students down to Atlanta. :cool1: I am thinking about bringing my laptop, but doubt I will have much time for an updates....:laughing: What are you going to do?

Tomorrow evening, I begin my fantastic journey chaperoning a trip for about forty of my eighth grade students down to Atlanta. :cool1: I am thinking about bringing my laptop, but doubt I will have much time for an updates....:laughing: What are you going to do?

Have a safe and fun trip. :)

Have a safe and fun trip. :)

Thanks, Kathy!

We have arrived and getting through the airport is making me question how realistic if it is going to be to try and get my dad down to Disney. We were taken off the plane this moring for over an hour, then were put back on and waiting on the tarmac for over an hour a half. We were al fine, but we're young and healthy. I just don't know....

Well, as I have said from the beginning of this PTR, it is going to be awhile before I know for sure what this trip is going to look like.

:goodvibesAs I write this, I am sitting in a dorm room at Georgia Tech, as a chaperone for my eighth graders' field trip. I had to share my conversation with my son this evening. He will be three in July and he still doesn't entirely undrestand the concept of the phone. He was sort of confused and then I said, "Can we say the magic words?" And like pixiedust: that he perked right up and we said "MEESKA...MOUSKA...MICKEY MOUSE!"

Several of my students who were in earshot looked at me as though I had lost my mind, but it highlighted for me what is so amazing about Disney: it affords us so many opportunities to share some amazing, joyful things with our kids. I have no doubt I will have to answer questions from people in my life who will not understand why we are bringing a three year old to Disneyworld. "Won't he be too young to remember it?" Ha. :rotfl:Perhaps that would be an issue if we weren't planning on going back as often as we possibly can. There are precious few things in this world that bring joy to my three year old and to my husband and I. Did we, for example, enjoy "Seasame Street Live?" No. No we did not. Max certainly did and that was wonderful for him and it was great watching him experience it, but Disney is truly magical.

And again...I come back to some of my most cherished memories from childhood and they involve Disney, whether it was our two vacations there, or going to see the movies in the theaters.

I just can't wait to share that same joy and wonder with my son!
Or, as he likes to say, "We can go to EFCOT?" Yes, Max..we sure can.

[/I]

Just back from my big Atlanta trip with my eighth graders. They really were wonderful. Couldn't have asked for a better behaved group, especially considering the number of them who have never travelled before.

Happy to be home with my family! :grouphug:

Thinking about our trip and all the hypotheticals...not sure that my dad can make it through an airport and a plane ride (even a relatively short one). My parents are now talking about driving down and meeting us there! :scared1:

Don't know if that will happen... Unfortunately, if I gambled, which I don't...I'd put money on this trip just being my husband, my son, and I which I am totally fine with. Having everyone would be nice, but if it is going to be too much for my dad, then its better that he stay home. My mom and I will not enjoy ourselves.

Of course, this leaves me with a million and one questions and scenarios running through my head.

So, I've been playing with the Disneyworld website and running numbers on vacations during Christmas week w/out a discount of any kind, so no matter what happens come February, it will be less than the numbers I'm crunching right now.

If my parents do come, I think we're definitely going with a one bedroom villa at BLT.

The questions mount when I start to think about will happen if they don't....:sad1:

I am so tempted to stay at the Contemporary...it is my love...it is my dream...it seems that having a three year old who will want to spend the vast majority of his time at MK and is OBSESSED with Mickey gives me reasons to justify staying there and spending the extra money.

I think that when he's older and wants to spend most of his time at the parks, our resort will matter less.

All of that said, we really did LOVE our stay at CSR this past year and you cannot deny how much cheaper it is. I was also very satisfied with the bus service. And the pool is great! (Though having been once in a colder-than-normal February has made me realize that I cannot bank on pool time if I go that time of the year)

Also considering paying for the DxDDP so as to avoid counter service as much as possible, but I'm probably just being ridiculous about that. It bothers me that if I'm going to do a DDP plan at all, the regular plan would require to pay for at least one meal OOP. I feel like if I do a plan, then it should just cover everything! :rotfl:

I really need to spend some time crunching some numbers and seeing what would be worth it to us... truthfully, I'd love to go without one at all, but it seems to make sense and I love having the meals paid for beforehand.

And how knows what changes the 2011 plan will bring? :confused3

Only time will tell...would love to hear feedback!

I was talking to my mother tonight and told her that I would put an intinerary together based on her and my father joining us. Here, I will begin...

This assumes that we all go together and stay in a one bedroom at Bay Lake Tower!

Flight from Bradley at 8:00 a.m.

Delta seems to have a flight out of Hartford around this time every day; we took it last February and it worked out very well for us. We don't have to leave too early (we're less than an hour away from the airport), but we still hit the world before noon! :thumbsup2

Arrive at MCO at 11:00 a.m.
Pick up luggage from baggage claim.
Walk to Magical Express.

Take Magical Express bus to the Contemporary...Max is going to love the videos with Mickey and the gang. It is true that the magic really does start right away.

Check in at approximately 1:00 p.m. It is at this point that I will just about die if we do really stay at the Contemporary!

We will then unpack and get settled in our suite. Hopefully, we will be able to get Max to take a nap so he can make it through th evening I have planned.

At around four, we will walk to CR to catch the monorail to EPCOT, mine and Mark's favorite park. I want to make sure we take Max to a character meal the first night and while Chef Mickey's would seem the obvious choice, I want to get to EPCOT that first night...althouh as I write this, I realize that perhaps that will be a little too ambitious?

If there is time once we get to EPCOT, we will ride Spaceship Earth and/or Finding nemo, if there's time before our ADR at Garden Grill.

After that, we might do Living with the Land and check out Soarin'...though I fully realize the likelihood of getting near Soarin' is slim to none. :rotfl:

We can then do some touring aorund World Showcase and then catch Illuminations!

Why am I thinking that I need to change this around completely??? Oh, yes, because I'm bringing my three year-old son and my Dad, that's why! :thumbsup2

I have realized that there are many things about doing a PTR that are fun:
1. It gives me something to do to pass the time in my Disney-obssessed brain.
2. I get to enjoy talking to myself... anyone here? :confused3
3. I type out an intinerary for a day one, like I did yesterday, and realize...WOW...there is just no way on this planet that this is going to happen like this. :rotfl:

So... I have decidede to make the following changes to my Day One itinerary:

We'll have dinner at Chef Mickey's. Not my first choice based on the food, mind you, but Max will LOVE IT! I think he deserves his first meal to Disney to be a character meal.

It is also located at our resort. BONUS! :thumbsup2

From there, we will be able to do a few things, based on how Max is feeling:

1. We will all go to the Magic Kingdom and stay for Wishes (or not), which is pretty early in February.
2. My dad could go back to the room if he wanted to to.
3. Or...we go back and put Max to bed with my parents and Mark and I would be free to hit the Magic Kingdom on our own.

This way, no one should feel dissapointed at the end of the day.

I wish that Max was a more predictable kid...his moods change for any number of reasons. My one concern is that he has recently decided he doesn't need to take a nap anymore! :scared1: This means that planning for the first three-four hours a park is open is going to be CRUCIAL this trip.

Thankfully, if my beloved parents come, Mark and I will be able to enjoy some time on our own out at the parks after our family dinner. Plus, because we will be at BLT, we'll be able to watch Wishes without leaving the resort.

I am beginning to understand why parents with young children really like the monorail resorts! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter