Hot Plate and/or Waffle Maker Allowed in STUDIO

TinkAgainU

Trust In The Pixie Dust
Staying in a DVC studio, so obviously, no kitchen - has anyone happened to notice if there is a no hot plate or something along those lines, rule at the Disney Resorts? Just wanted to be able to fix a decent breakfast super early a couple times ;) Thanks!

If waffle maker or hot plate isn't allowed, there are some decent freezer waffles that can be microwaved or put in the toaster.

If waffle maker or hot plate isn't allowed, there are some decent freezer waffles that can be microwaved or put in the toaster.
Thanks - good point. Although we actually use our waffle/pancake maker to cook eggs - and a hot plate for "real" oatmeal. Not sure a toaster would suffice. I call it a waffle maker 'cause when I say pancake maker it confuses people even more lol. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSVSU1O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If waffle maker or hot plate isn't allowed, there are some decent freezer waffles that can be microwaved or put in the toaster

As rooms are being refurbished or small refrigerators die, they are being replaced with beverage coolers which don't get cold enough to keep items frozen. So depending on where the OP is staying, it may not be an option.

I have read on these boards about people bringing all sorts of things, coffee makers, waffle makers, toasters etc. What's technically allowed, no idea. I googled and saw crockpot, hot plates, instapots and small applicances are not allowed...I guess small appliances pretty much covers alot but I think you could also argue a hair dryer, curling iron and straightener are also small appliances.

I will say that the dvc studios have a microwave and toaster so you can do a good bit with that for breakfast but the concern on any small appliance is general fire hazards I suppose but likely hard to police.

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...iances such as,Walt Disney World Resort rooms.

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/allowed-hotplate-resort-toom-468007/

I wouldn't worry too much about any typical small kitchen appliance. After all, housekeeping stashes some commonly used small appliances such as electric teakettles, blenders and mixers. Any of those may be requested if available. We always bring our electric kettle and have never been told it wasn't permitted. Housekeeping had to have seen it on the kitchenette counter.

As we once loaded the car in front of VGF1, people in a van were unloading a bread machine, George Foreman grill, panini press and a couple other namebrand appliance-labeled boxes.

I initially thought they might just be boxes used to pack other items. Then, one person said to another about to lift the bread machine box onto the luggage cart, "Don't you dare drop the bread machine or grill."

The bell CM was near the van and had to have heard that. We didn't observe anything looking like they were being told they couldn't bring in the appliances.

Several years ago, I know people were warned not to bring electric skillets, slow cookers or toasters for regular hotel rooms. Those weren't allowed in rooms with no kitchen/kitchenette.

A non-electric single burner could be prohibited, though. No idea about one of those.

I've brought my own coffee and coffee on longer stays but that's all. Anything more than that involves cleaning up and if there's not a full kitchen there's no exhaust hood. I'd rather not deal with a smelly room or cleanup in a studio or resort room with a microwave but that's just my preference.

I would think waffles wouldn't go bad as long as they were refrigerated.

See post #3 where the OP says they're wanting to use a wafflemaker/pancake griddle to cook eggs.

Sounds to me like the OP wants to cook real food from scratch, not nuke or toast something from a box or bag.

I can certainly agree with that idea. Not a fancier of highly processed, heat-to-eat food myself.

I THINK it’s ok because it’s a studio which had a microwave and toaster already. I know it’s definitely allowed in 1+ bedroom units since they have a full kitchen.

I know it’s not allowed in a regular room since, from what I’ve read, the ventilation is different.

Talked to my DH (retired electrician) about this...............He says this---
There is no fire hazard using a standard waffle iron in any US outlet.
A typical waffle iron requires about 1000 watts of power (about 8.33 amps)
A standard outlet is rated at 15 amps.

So... as long as you don't operate the coffee maker, toaster, or microwave at the same time, from the same outlet, there is no overload potential.

I have no idea what the DVC rules are, but from an electrical perspective, a waffle iron is safe to plug into a standard outlet (just like at home).

Edit- added "same outlet" for clarity

Last edited:
I wouldn't see it being a problem, and even if there was some obscure rule against it, just pack it back away when you're finished and no one would be the wiser.
Lots of places have long lists of rules because most people aren't as thoughtful and mindful of safety as people are here.

For the most part the folks that come to Disboards are the planners in their respective family groups -- the ones planning and checking things out ahead of time I think. Thoughtful people.

We’ve brought a sandwich maker before for use in a studio. We used it to make sandwiches, omelets and French toast. We figured it’s not any different than a toaster and it made studio living much more palatable.

As rooms are being refurbished or small refrigerators die, they are being replaced with beverage coolers which don't get cold enough to keep items frozen. So depending on where the OP is staying, it may not be an option.

Many frozen items are fine over the course of a week being cold not frozen. Depends on the item though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter