Hotel prices for summer keep dropping..

I am staying at the Disneyland hotel for the first time this summer for 6 nights but keep looking at other hotels. Its weird that the offsite hotels that I normally stay at are closer. lol It makes it hard when all of these deals are happening, I could pay less and be closer? I do want the extra magic hours and I do want to explore this hotel, so I am going to suck it up. Its probably going to be a one and done for me no matter how much I love it.
Have you considered a split stay? 3 nights offsite and 3 nights at DLH might work out really well for you. I would suggest staying offsite first and then moving to the DLH. That way, you could still use the one Magic Morning that's attached to your tickets, then use the Extra Magic Hours that you get from staying onsite. With the money you save you could book something special like the Blue Bayou Fantastmic! package or the World of Color dessert package. It's sorta like the best of both worlds!

(I’ve never tried the dining reservations because I usually have everything I need booked at ~60 days, but has anyone had luck booking same day or within a day or two primes spots; dessert party, Blue Bayou, etc)

Concierge at DLH got our group of 10 a couple reservations at Christmas for us that I was unable to secure online. So that was a lovely perk.

I have a stay at the CCI booked in July (been booked since the fall) and I just noticed that the rates had dropped for my dates. I emailed the hotel and they updated my booking to reflect the cheaper rates. For anyone who has a stay already booked, check the current rates being offered at your hotel!

I absolutely hate the prices too and really debated going off site this year, but my preferred hotel chain is Hilton and they seem just far enough away that it wouldn’t be worth it. I love being able to just skip breakfast and walk right into the park and get something in there, or being able to “run” back to the hotel and change clothes (if I’m yucky from the heat or wet from a ride) and then be back in the park... usually in 20 to 30 min round trip. I also usually head back late at night (10pm or 11pm or even midnight depending when the park closes) and while it’s probably safe, I like the idea of being in downtown Disney all the way up to the DLH.

If they wanted to keep prices high, I just wish they would offer something on the back end, getting into one park early JUST for resort guests (alternate park that people with multi-day passes get in early at). That would be a HUGE win because every day for an hour you basically would only have a couple thousand people at most in the park. Or let guest into Star Wars an hour before everyone else, again just for the hotel guests, even if it’s just until the end of the year.

They’ve come through with last minute Halloween party tickets for me before, the staff is super amazing and genuinely pleasant and friendly, and the location is great, but man I wish there was one more major killer “no duh” perk that made the decision a no brainer.

(I’ve never tried the dining reservations because I usually have everything I need booked at ~60 days, but has anyone had luck booking same day or within a day or two primes spots; dessert party, Blue Bayou, etc)
As far as on-site dining reservations they are very strict about their 48 hour window. 40 hours before and forget it. I have gotten a couple reservations using that, even Blue Bayou. We ended up shifting everything by one day like a week before our trip and that was the one I couldn’t get but they got it. I tried to use them for Napa Rose once but no go.

It feels obscene that I'm budgeting USD250 per night for accommodation, so the thought of paying at least twice that for one of the 3 onsite hotels is unfathomable to me. Travelling from NZ is expensive enough as it is :D There seem to be so many nice hotels in super close proximity to DL, many that have free breakfast. Off-site's a no-brainer.
Off site is a no-brainer to you, but on site is literally a no-brainer to others at the same prices you are seeing. Everyone here has different priorities and budgets when traveling.

I have a stay at the CCI booked in July (been booked since the fall) and I just noticed that the rates had dropped for my dates. I emailed the hotel and they updated my booking to reflect the cheaper rates. For anyone who has a stay already booked, check the current rates being offered at your hotel!

Thanks!! I’ve been checking every few days but got busy and didn’t check today. Sure enough my dates in August went down $30/day. Considered upgrading to the premium room but decided to pocket the money for something else at Disney.

If you can go during dapper days, you can get the convention rate. That's the only time we stay on property, otherwise it's just wherever that's close and cheap.
For anyone thinking of using the Dapper Days rates for the on site hotels, please support the actual convention itself, too. Tickets to the DD Expo are inexpensive (and the Expo is fun!) and the merchandise is cute. Supporting the DD convention prevents abuse of the discounted rates.

For anyone thinking of using the Dapper Days rates for the on site hotels, please support the actual convention itself, too. Tickets to the DD Expo are inexpensive (and the Expo is fun!) and the merchandise is cute. Supporting the DD convention prevents abuse of the discounted rates.

How much are tickets to the Expo usually?

Are rates dropping like this during this time of year normal? I’m wondering which situation we’re in...
-prices were inflated for SWL and they’re coming back to summer normal
-prices drop like this normally
-prices are dropping below normal for this time year

Are rates dropping like this during this time of year normal? I’m wondering which situation we’re in...
I don't think it's normal! I think hotels thought that SWGE was going to bring huge crowds and because of the reservation system, it hasn't. So now they have empty rooms because people are postponing trips until they can get into SWGE without a reservation! Just my observation!

Its not normal. My guess is people who are normally willing to pay their really high hotel rates are staying home this year due to concerns over Star Wars crowds.

I agree with Tina. They must have overshot a bit. The three DLR hotels are at record rack rates. I don't recall the percentage increase but it had to be around +10% or more. They have availability all Summer which is not normal. So the Good Neighbor hotels likely followed suit; I just don't watch their pricing as closely.

I don't think those flash sales and rate drops were just during the reservation period, were they? I know you had to book fast, but could book into summer, correct?

Another point of interest for this thread, which is now moved/buried in the SWGE thread: They are emailing reservation holders and inviting them to add 2 additional people to their reservation, for a total of six. So they seem to be loosening up the reins already.

I think it's interesting that Deluxe APs are not flooding the park this week. I get that it picked up Tues/Wed and it was Grad night. But I thought there were A LOT more local Deluxe APs. Maybe the majority really do still have the Socal APs.

Or, maybe there just weren't enough reservations given out.

Next to watch for:
Additional reservations re-opened for a short window?
APs unblocked selectively?
Buddy tickets?
DLR Hotel specials, including Fastpass or SWGE incentive?

Or, kids wrap up school and demand rebuilds. Obviously DLR gets the airline booking data on how many people are coming and from where. If there really are issues this Summer, they will act. I've been browsing around flights and still see plenty of seats together in the short term. But that's a small sample. We'll see!

But I thought there were A LOT more local Deluxe APs. Maybe the majority really do still have the Socal APs.
I'm only one person, but the people I know with deluxe passes did NOT renew this year due to the block outs and potential crowds this summer. I do think a lot of people do have Socal passes still because many don't want to give it up since they often have grandfathered in perks (i.e. parking).

I'm only one person, but the people I know with deluxe passes did NOT renew this year due to the block outs and potential crowds this summer. I do think a lot of people do have Socal passes still because many don't want to give it up since they often have grandfathered in perks (i.e. parking).

Wow, great point! I forgot the Deluxe blockout calendar was big change, in addition to the price increase. Maybe they finally hit some resistance. Thanks for that info

I am SO curious to see how it is after the reservation period is over. In my mind I am expecting a mass of humanity crushing down upon the park, but who knows... maybe people are waiting until RotR is up and running (and/or any of the other possible reasons people have cited).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter