• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How did you choose your home resort?

location, points, home resort booking advantage, & most importantly buy where I want to stay.

i liked OKW as it was less expensive up front (resale) + relatively low dues + 2 queen beds in the studios. the "gingerbread architecture" theming is fun and i find it relaxing to get away from the parks in the evenings. it expires relatively early in 2042, but that's probably when i'm due to expire also... ;)

i like to try other resorts when i get a chance but i enjoy OKW and don't feel "stuck" there if a waitlist never comes through (and a couple never did.)

here's a good thread for more info:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2152512

I looked at per point cost, and the time of year I travel. Since it's JUST me, I go in value season studio, usually in January or September. So, bought a tiny contract, booked at 7 month mark for January and got all three of the resorts I wanted to look at in plans of buying a larger resale contract in a few years.

I know everyone on here will not believe it but I had no idea what I was getting into they offered me SSR and I took it. I had no idea of any of the DVC resorts. All I knew was I wanted in on the Best Kept Secret and wanted to go to Disney as much as I could. I never talked to a guide when I got back from a trip I think I called and they sent me papers. I had no idea I would be signing mortgage papers. I had no idea what a UY was and now after 3 years I think I get it. Thank God I found TheDis because I would be lost without all of your insite and over analyzing (no bashing intended ). Now I second guess my resort and UY, but so far it has worked out great for me.

I know everyone on here will not believe it but I had no idea what I was getting into they offered me SSR and I took it. I had no idea of any of the DVC resorts. All I knew was I wanted in on the Best Kept Secret and wanted to go to Disney as much as I could. I never talked to a guide when I got back from a trip I think I called and they sent me papers. I had no idea I would be signing mortgage papers. I had no idea what a UY was and now after 3 years I think I get it. Thank God I found TheDis because I would be lost without all of your insite and over analyzing (no bashing intended ). Now I second guess my resort and UY, but so far it has worked out great for me.

I believe it, probably 60%, maybe more, of new buyers don't really know what they are buying. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not, that's where resales come from.

We bought based on where we wanted to stay to guarantee the 11 month booking. After years of ownership and owning at 6 resorts, we have decided that VWL and BWV are our favorite resorts and we expect VGF to be another.

:earsboy: Bill

Looked at OKW in early 90s and, though I thought DVC concept could work, did not care for a resort that was like a big condo development and lacked usual hotel services and amenities. Bought BWV soon after it opened because it was near parks and more like a large hotel with hotel like services and amenities. It was also the only DVC resort at WDW at the time other than OKW. Later bought AKV before it opened -- had stayed once before and thought it was one of the best concept resorts I had ever been in and had excellent restaurants.

first was OKW - it was called DVC at the time and it was the only one being sold in the earlyt 90's. then brought small contract at BWV because love Epcot, VWL because love the place, and my latest and best BLT - love walking to the MK.

BLT has pretty wonderful views. You can see the MK if not from your room, then north elevator or tow. the activity center (community hall). besides it is the first monorail resort - so just had to have it. after waiting 15 years (from when brought OKW to when brought BLT) for it. was going to buy no matter what.

now for some unknown reason the furniture is pretty lbad and has been since day one - which is something don't understand.

that say love it anyway - seating out on the balcony enjoying the view of the MK or lake - if you have a mk view you can also see the fireworks - if not - then you can go upstairs to TOWL/

it is a special place.

Up until BLT was built, none of the DVC resorts really interested us enough to even take a tour. Maybe if we had taken a DVC tour, maybe we would have purchased many years ago. Now if VGF came before BLT, we probably would have bought at VGF. Looking back, I’m glad that BLT was built first and that we own there instead.

The main appeal of BLT for us was the monorail being close by so that we could get to MK and Epcot, our two favorite parks. We could even walk to MK! This was what sparked enough interest for us to finally take a tour and buy.

I always wanted BWV. Food and Wine is my favorite Disney event and I knew I wanted to be able to walk back to the room after eating and drinking all day!
I love the boardwalk night time activities, the boardwalk view rooms and the standard rooms to save points. The only thing I don't like is the parking situation. It's not going to change so I just have to go with the flow.

When BLT came on line I added on. I've never been a big fan of the CR but I wanted to be close to MK for my second "home." It's kind of fun when MK closes and everyone is piling on the buses or waiting in line for the monorail and we are taking a leisurely stroll back to BLT. I love, love, love TOWL. They don't have the variety of food that they had in the beginning but what they offer is good enough. The lake views are great. I did a theme park view once and it was more of a parking lot view. I'm sure that room has been changed to standard view. But I really enjoy the lake view and always book those rooms.

We bought AKL (three contracts) and now Aulani (one contract).

AKL was the first resort we went to after the birth of our son. We LOVE it there and so does he! We purchased there because it's where we always want to stay.

We added on a contract to Aulani on the Member Cruise in January. I was torn - I did just want to get more AKL points, but the fact that Aulani would go a few years longer and it's not that much more a year in MFs we went wit Aulani. We've booked our first trip there for January 2014 and can't wait.

When we got serious about DVC we thought if we had to stay at one place every visit, what resort would that be? We bought into BLT for the location and because when we were looking at staying elsewhere, there seemed to be more availability at other resorts than at BLT at 7 months.

At the time when we bought the options were BLT or AKV and my husband didn't like AKV Kidani that much ((He's since changed his mind after we stayed there though)) and so we bought BLT. I liked both equally for their own uniqueness so either way I was happy.

We bought Aulani simply because we fell in love with it.

We bought on emotion. My DH grew up camping at Fort Wilderness and he had to have VWL. I agreed, we love it there.

We bought SSR because that was what they were selling at the time. No regrets. The 7 month window doesn't seem to bother us too much since we usually plan less than 6 months ahead.

I love these responses!

I'm thinking long term. As my son ages what's the best place to be? Best pools for older kids? Most activities, etc? At his age now any place with a pool, movies, and activities will do.

I bought somewhere we would be happy to stay every trip if we had to. We bought AKV because we love the resort

I love these responses!

I'm thinking long term. As my son ages what's the best place to be? Best pools for older kids? Most activities, etc? At his age now any place with a pool, movies, and activities will do.

now my younger relatives do not appreciate SALB at BC/YC/BCV - which suprised me. they did love CSR -so really though they would love it.

all the DVC resorts have activities - they print a list for you - or you can go by the community hall (activity center only at BLT) for the list.

VWL and BCV do not have one. BCV can go to BWV which has a great community hall.

don't think VWL can go to BLT - but not sure. with VGF opening and it also does not have a community hall - both VWL and VGF really need excess to BLT activity center.

all dvc resorts show movies outside. you can also rent a movie (DVC member get is free) from community hall or grocery stores. all dvc rooms come with a DVD player.

all the community hall have games you can play in your room - plus they have computer games you can play in their ch

all also have arcades.

beaches - blt, bcv (really bc), vgf

now okw has a sandy playground - but the sand does not go to the water - so don't think it is a beach.

besides the contract will be from 2042 to 2063 - depending upon your resort (assiuming vgf is 2063 and not 3060) so you need to decide what works best for you. have no doubt your children would have left home long before the contract ends.

BCV usually wins for "best pool." AKV is also up there.

if he loves the tower of terror and RNRcoaster at DHS, BCV and BWV are a good choice as they are in walking distance.

but the contracts last a long time. you might want to think about your favorite place to be once he's off to college...(i hear some kids don't grow up to love the Mouse...hard to say why.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter