• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How did you choose your home resort?

We bought Vero because it was not very expensive at the time and we hoped one day to stay there. We bought BCV because I wanted 11mths priority since it's our favourite resort to go for our summer trip especially for it's location and SAB. WE bought AKV because I wanted 11mths priority to get the 1 bedroom value room.

We bought where we wanted to stay - BCV.

We were having the best trip ever and decided to do a DVC tour and get a $100 gift card. I knew very little about it. They kept pushing BLT & AKL. I think it was a good hour before the guide said they might possibly be able to get BCV points. I kept complaining about how ugly they were etc and how much I loved BC. Surprised it took him an hour, guess he was determined. We were good and signed nothing. Guide promised to call. That evening I was on the Disboards doing my research. Guide never called. Two months later we were the proud owners of BCV points via resale :goodvibes

We bought where we wanted to stay - BCV.

We were having the best trip ever and decided to do a DVC tour and get a $100 gift card. I knew very little about it. They kept pushing BLT & AKL. I think it was a good hour before the guide said they might possibly be able to get BCV points. I kept complaining about how ugly they were etc and how much I loved BC. Surprised it took him an hour, guess he was determined. We were good and signed nothing. Guide promised to call. That evening I was on the Disboards doing my research. Guide never called. Two months later we were the proud owners of BCV points via resale :goodvibes

I have felt that new resort push too. It's annoying.

We have three home resorts BLT, AKV and Aulani.

BLT was our first home resort. We saw it being built in 2009 and every time we saw it we both wanted to own there. It reminded us of a high-rise condo we owned in downtown Denver, Colorado. Living there was so convenient to work, entertainment, and sports. And BLT is like that, except everything is Disney related and no work involved. We always ask for a high floor.

AKV was purchased because we fell in love AKL when we did a cash stay. It just wasn't enough to book using our BLT points we wanted to own there. And it increased our chances of booking a club level villa too. Although owning there didn't help us for our next trip in May 2014.

We stayed at Aulani using other points and decided we made a big mistake not buying there on day one. So we bought Aulani points this month and plan to stay at Aulani every two years.

We have three home resorts BLT, AKV and Aulani.

BLT was our first home resort. We saw it being built in 2009 and every time we saw it we both wanted to own there. It reminded us of a high-rise condo we owned in downtown Denver, Colorado. Living there was so convenient to work, entertainment, and sports. And BLT is like that, except everything is Disney related and no work involved. We always ask for a high floor.

AKV was purchased because we fell in love AKL when we did a cash stay. It just wasn't enough to book using our BLT points we wanted to own there. And it increased our chances of booking a club level villa too. Although owning there didn't help us for our next trip in May 2014.

We stayed at Aulani using other points and decided we made a big mistake not buying there on day one. So we bought Aulani points this month and plan to stay at Aulani every two years.

So do you do two stays per year at WDW?

Location and contract length for us. We love the EPCOT resorts but wanted a later expiration date. BLT gave us a great location and a longer time to use our points. The extra bathroom has also proved to be a great plus ;)

We love our home resort and it was great choice for us. :goodvibes

How did I choose my home resort? Well, I expressed interest in purchasing BCV and ended up with an AKV contract.

My direct purchase experience was both difficult and aggravating because I felt like I was not getting truthful answers. Also, I have often wondered if I hold the record for most contracts issued before signing because I received 6 contracts before inking my name next to Mickey's silhouette.

My first DVC guide pushed OKW. I was told it was the most desirable and difficult resort to book. Moreover, with the recent extension and current selling price, it was "truly the ideal purchase." After several of these OKW phone conversations, I gave in. When my contract came, I realized that I had been sold and immediately called to cancel. Suddenly, AKV became the topic of conversation and I was scheduled to sign my documents on site the following week.

When I called member services to book a one night stay, using my points to sign my paperwork, I asked the representative about general availability. The cast member's said that everyone calls asking about the 3 B's: Beach Club, BoardWalk and Bay Lake Tower. When I asked about AKV, I was told that it has one of the largest inventories and, like OWK and SSR, was generally available. Called my guide about home resort advantage and the conversation shifted to BLT.

Bought BLT on site. A few days later, when I went to book a reservation, I found out that I did not have enough points for a stay at BLT. My guide did not inform me that the BLT point chart had been reallocated. I was furious and said I wanted to cancel my purchase.

Later that day, a new guide calls. Again, I want BCV and it is not an option because it is not available. I could go on the waitlist, but would have to pay my deposit upfront and move forward with the purchase even though the points were not yet available. The conversation shifts to VWL because the previous year's points are available and I would be getting double points and prorated dues my first year. At this point, I no longer knew what to think and agreed, again.

After thinking about it, I called a day or two later with the intent to buy a HH contract. Since WDW DVC seemed like such a hassle, I figured I would mainly vacation at HH and visit WDW occasionally. That night, I spoke to my guide, purchased 200 points and finally felt like I had it right.

Two days later, my guide calls and says that the HH points were not available, some type of system error. I gave up and bought a small AKV contract.

Over the past several years, 7 of my 9 WDW vacations have been at AKV and it truly feels like a second home.

How did I choose my home resort? Well, I expressed interest in purchasing BCV and ended up with an AKV contract.

My direct purchase experience was both difficult and aggravating because I felt like I was not getting truthful answers. Also, I have often wondered if I hold the record for most contracts issued before signing because I received 6 contracts before inking my name next to Mickey's silhouette.

My first DVC guide pushed OKW. I was told it was the most desirable and difficult resort to book. Moreover, with the recent extension and current selling price, it was "truly the ideal purchase." After several of these OKW phone conversations, I gave in. When my contract came, I realized that I had been sold and immediately called to cancel. Suddenly, AKV became the topic of conversation and I was scheduled to sign my documents on site the following week.

When I called member services to book a one night stay, using my points to sign my paperwork, I asked the representative about general availability. The cast member's said that everyone calls asking about the 3 B's: Beach Club, BoardWalk and Bay Lake Tower. When I asked about AKV, I was told that it has one of the largest inventories and, like OWK and SSR, was generally available. Called my guide about home resort advantage and the conversation shifted to BLT.

Bought BLT on site. A few days later, when I went to book a reservation, I found out that I did not have enough points for a stay at BLT. My guide did not inform me that the BLT point chart had been reallocated. I was furious and said I wanted to cancel my purchase.

Later that day, a new guide calls. Again, I want BCV and it is not an option because it is not available. I could go on the waitlist, but would have to pay my deposit upfront and move forward with the purchase even though the points were not yet available. The conversation shifts to VWL because the previous year's points are available and I would be getting double points and prorated dues my first year. At this point, I no longer knew what to think and agreed, again.

After thinking about it, I called a day or two later with the intent to buy a HH contract. Since WDW DVC seemed like such a hassle, I figured I would mainly vacation at HH and visit WDW occasionally. That night, I spoke to my guide, purchased 200 points and finally felt like I had it right.

Two days later, my guide calls and says that the HH points were not available, some type of system error. I gave up and bought a small AKV contract.

Over the past several years, 7 of my 9 WDW vacations have been at AKV and it truly feels like a second home.

Wow! Thank you for sharing! Interesting about the 3 Bs. I thought WL was hard to get too. I got into BLT at 7 mos in a lake view studio easily but it was summer. Loved it! Glad you love AKL! Did you use the same guide the whole time?

We bought AKV because of the 2 bathrooms in the 1 BR villa.

Our first stay was at SSR on developer points, and it was so annoying that our kids had to come into our bedroom to use the bathroom, we realized we had definitely made the right choice.

Now when we stay somewhere other than AKV we try to get a 2BR so the girls still have their own bathroom. I'm sure we'll give BLT a try someday, but it just hasn't worked out yet.

If they build at Poly and those have the extra bathroom, we'll probably add on there since we're going to need more points soon. It seems to have a relaxing atmosphere similar to AKV.

I bought an AKV contract in 2008 for two reasons--1) I LOVED the atmosphere of AKV, loved the animals, the exotic feel, the dark decor and 2) it was the only resort that allowed you to buy in with 100 points (I didn't know about resale at the time). We didn't need 160 points, 100 was enough. So it was perfect.

I bought a HHI contract in 2009. After staying at SSR on developer's points in 2008, we used our AKV points to stay at HHI and fell in love with it. We immediately came home and added on 50 HHI points. The next year we added 50 more.

I have stayed at AKV, HHI, SSR, OKW, BWV, and VWL so far and am VERY happy with my home resorts. They are my favorites!

We first bought in 2000 at OKW directly from Disney, then a few years later we added on resale at OKW. Well, a few more years passed and we just had to buy points at BWVs because we loved it there as well! (Both the add ons were resale.) I think we are done. Both retired and have enough points to go several times a year and stay in a 1br and take our DD, SIL, 3 grands when they want to go. This past April I met them (they live in Seattle) at DL/CA and was able to get a 2br at the VGC at the 7th mo. mark. That is a wonderful resort, too.

When we really looked into DVC, our choices were OKW & BWV. HH and VB were offered, but we wanted something at WDW. When it came down to the actual purchase a few months later, we were informed both BWV and OKW were sold out but VWL became available. So, I guess, we really didn't have a choice; it was the only resort available at WDW and we decided to purchase at VWL ::yes::

VWL, because we have loved the Wilderness Lodge from our very first visit there.

We always assumed that when we added on, it would be at BCV because of its proximity to Epcot and harder-to-reserve rooms. But when we stayed at BLT, we had an unexpectedly great time there (not that we didn't expect a great time, just that it was even better than expected). So when a contract turned up at a very nice price and a complementary use year, we grabbed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter