• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How did you choose your home resort?

What made you purchase where you own?

Do you mean the first time or the second time?;)

In 1994, when WL opened and we stayed there, DH said "If they ever built a DVC HERE, then I'd buy." Several years later, they did, so we did. Purchase #1 Then we stayed for one night at OKW (last minute extra vacation day) during our first DVC stay. Had a terrible experience at VWL (contacted member satisfaction), but DH fell in love with OKW, and decided "THIS is where I want to stay every time."
So now we have purchase #2. Went home, sold our VWL points, bought OKW (not sure about the financial ramifications of that). Based on our 2 experiences, I'd strongly agree with the "Buy where you want to stay" and if possible, stay there before you buy. We've done two add-ons at other resorts, and both times it was after we'd stayed at the resort.

We own at the resorts we want to stay at, and most often book at 10-11 months out. We do not own at OKW, but have gotten it when we have wanted to be there. If I ever do buY at OKW, it would be to be able to book GV's!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Our first purchase was at SSR. We bought that over the phone direct from DVC, and basically purchased it because it was what they were selling at the time. It turned out to be a lucky accident, because it's still our favorite resort.

Our second purchase was at Beach Club. We were resale on that one because it was before there were any restrictions on those contracts. We purchased the points because we fell in love with the Beach Club on our first visit. Love the location and Storm Along Bay.

Our third contract was at Bay Lake Tower. Our first grandchild was born just about the time points went on sale for BLT, and we figured we'd be needing accommodations close to the Magic Kingdom. We purchased that one direct from DVC partly because of the resale restrictions (and fears that they might be additional restrictions in the future), and partly because we didn't want to wait for contracts to start showing up on the secondary market.

For both the BCV and BLT add-ons, it was because we knew we'd want to stay there often. We didn't want to chance the 7-month mark, and decided to follow the advice of owning where you want to stay. Also, in both cases when we'd added on, we'd reached a point in the borrow-borrow-borrow-buy cycle when we needed additional points. Since we were adding points anyway, we chose to do so at resorts where we'd want to use them. Our original SSR contract had sufficient points for the weeks we wanted to stay there. We got enough BCV points to stay a week there every three years, and every two years at BLT.

We bought at VWL because we love the Wilderness Lodge. Then we stayed at BWV and knew we had to buy there too. Love both our homes!!!

We had a choice of SSR, AKL, or BLT. AKL was our favorite resort but we purchased BLT due to the lower price of Dues. I'm happy with that choice as I have never not be able to get a reservation at 7 months out. At some point I might not be able to do that but will still be happy staying at BLT.

We had a choice of SSR, AKL, or BLT. AKL was our favorite resort but we purchased BLT due to the lower price of Dues. I'm happy with that choice as I have never not be able to get a reservation at 7 months out. At some point I might not be able to do that but will still be happy staying at BLT.

Why were those your only choices at the time?

BLT - yep it was an emotional attachment to the CR, even though I never stayed at the CR.

Bonded with the CR/MK back in 1978 when attending Navy Nuclear Power School. 1st wife and I were so poor back then, but being able to stroll thru the CR, ride the monorail and dream big dreams - well that kind of impressionism hard wiring just never leaves you.

So in 2010 when DW and I were enjoying a WDW trip after a 9 year hiatus, opted to take the tour, and we both saw the benefit to our emotional and mental health by joining DVC at BLT. MK/EPCOT, monorail, CR, Cali Grill, etc., etc.

Now we are still enjoying our stays at other DVC resorts, but there are no words to describe how we feel being Welcomed Home at BLT. Our last morning tradition is now to have breakfast at the Wave, regardless of which resort we are staying at.

BLT - yep it was an emotional attachment to the CR, even though I never stayed at the CR.

Bonded with the CR/MK back in 1978 when attending Navy Nuclear Power School. 1st wife and I were so poor back then, but being able to stroll thru the CR, ride the monorail and dream big dreams - well than kind of impressionism hard wiring just never leaves you.

So in 2010 when DW and I were enjoying a WDW trip after a 9 year hiatus, opted to take the tour, and we both say the benefit to our emotional and mental health by joining DVC at BLT. MK/EPCOT, monorail, CR, Cali Grill, etc., etc.

Now we are still enjoying our stays at other DVC resorts, but there is no words to describe how we feel being Welcomed Home at BLT. Our last morning tradition is now to have breakfast at the Wave, regardless of which resort we are staying at.

That's a great story! We just left BLT. Such a magical stay! It was our first WDW stay and it felt so great to take my son on such an awesome vacation and see him so happy. I definitely have some attachment to that place. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

I'll make a guess!

Because they bought direct and didn't know that they could buy any resort and their Guide didn't bother to tell them.

:earsboy: Bill

We knew about the resale market but decided direct was the right choice for us. But no, the Guide did not discuss it with us, other then the fact we could sell down the road if we wanted out.

We knew about the resale market but decided direct was the right choice for us. But no, the Guide did not discuss it with us, other then the fact we could sell down the road if we wanted out.

But you can buy all the resorts direct from
Disney. You just wait list for them.

I'll make a guess!

Because they bought direct and didn't know that they could buy any resort and their Guide didn't bother to tell them.

:earsboy: Bill

oh, miss read your response. Yes, at the time those 3 resorts where being marketed heavily and the option to buy direct at other resorts was not discussed. My choice with the dues would have stood anyways so was not a big deal to me.

But you can buy all the resorts direct from
Disney. You just wait list for them.

see above post.

Again, my choice was based on price of dues and really nothing more. We would consider our "home" resort to be AKL but with the dues being so much higher at the time BLT was the best option for us.

see above post.

Again, my choice was based on price of dues and really nothing more. We would consider our "home" resort to be AKL but with the dues being so much higher at the time BLT was the best option for us.

Definitely makes sense.

It was based on DVC dues, accessibility to theme park and accessibility from East Coast (so VGC and Aulani are out). so BLT was our choice.

Ability to walk to a theme park, views, access to dining, and attached to a deluxe resort.

We turned OKW down in '93 because it was too far from the parks. We waited for BWV.

I bought at BLT, I always wanted to stay at the Contemporary but never could make it work. Then my sisters suggested I look into DVC, and while I couldn't see it while in WDW at the time, I did look into it while they still had the Doorway to Dreams location in Woodfield mall here near Chicago.

Bought 160 points there, stayed there 2 times (first being an awesome theme park view studio that my guide helped arrange) and haven't regretted it!

We went with akl because they were running a deal where we only had to put $500 of the 10% down and dvc would put up the rest .. but we would have gone with akl anyway. Can't beat waking up and enjoying a cup of coffee and looking down on some giraffes. Also its kind of 2 resorts for the price of one, and many different levels of points to use for more flexibility

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter