How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
We will not be going to Disney if masks are mandatory. Masks on the plane, Masks in 90 degree Florida heat....sorry, just can't do it. I hope every one that does travel to Disney during this time has a great vacation. I just can't justify the cost / experience for my family.

My kids absolutely LOVE wdw - they are 13 and 9 and both have been going since they were 6 mos old - we are Uber-planners and talk about our upcoming trips every day until we are ready to go on our next one ! This upcoming trip was supposed to be our longest to date 7/14- 8/3

We live in nyc, and for our sanity, NEED this trip more than ever !

This morning : DD13 - "dad, have they said anything about guests wearing masks in disney?"

ME: "yep, looks like they might be mandatory "

DD- "dad, love our trips, but the mask gets so hot just wear it it NOW, for a little bit.. No way, I could wear one in Disneyworld in the summer"
" and isn't the purpose to see people smiling, enjoying themselves ? "

Me: "yep, that's why we go to Disney !"

We have a mid-Sept trip planned. DVC points rented via online vendor so, no changes, no refunds. $2600 paid in full months ago. So if masks are required, will I be OK with wearing a mask? Well it comes down to this: Wear a mask and have a WDW vaca that I paid for OR Lose $2600 because a mask will make it less "magical"? Opting for mask wearing! I'm from NJ so we have been mandated (not a "suggestion") to wear masks in every public place. So I'm getting very used to it. Sure it's going to be hot and uncomfortable but a bad day in WDW has ALWAYS been better than a good day anywhere else!
ETA- my children (traveling party) are all adults and none of us are in any high risk group. My answer may be different if my situation was different.

Last edited:
I already wear them for work, but I’m not thrilled at the idea of having to for a 10 day trip in July. My kids won’t be able to handle it. I’m playing it by ear for now.

Not wearing one. If you have too, well, we aren't going. Honestly, I live in PA and the temps here are in the 50's and 60's now. I have a problem wearing one for more than 30 minutes in the grocery store. No way I'm wearing one at a theme park in the Florida heat. Besides, just too many other issues. Eating, drinking, riding roller coasters etc. Of course, I'm sure there will be the people who simply say I have a medical condition such as asthma that prevents me from wearing one. Boom. They don't have to wear one.

If they require it we're not going. If they refuse to budge on this ever well do the best we can to get a refund on our unused aps. We love Disney but this would be too much
That’s the dilemma we have. I bought the date specific tickets for April, so now they’re valid through Dec 15, which I understand will become a credit if we don’t use them by Dec 15th. If Disney requires mask wearing indefinitely, then I plan to email and inquire about getting a refund on them.

I don't want to debate the merits of wearing a mask or not (although feel free to let loose in the comments, lol). I am legitimately curious about the consensus of hardcore Disney fans on this question though. I know there may be a nuance in any policy Disney decides on, but ultimately they will have to decide whether masks will be part of reopening or not. FWIW, I think both viewpoints are totally legitimate. I just wonder how many are in each camp. What do you think?

I voted "won't go", but that's only a little bit about the mask itself, and more about what the need for a mask likely represents in terms of where we're at with the virus and what other restrictions or limitations are likely to be in place. We only go to Disney every 3-5 years or so, and I'd rather wait longer in order to have a fuller experience.

If masks are required we will cancel our July trip. Nothing sounds more miserable to me than wearing masks in Florida in July. I can barely tolerate it for an hour at the grocery store, not to mention how much more I touch my face when wearing one versus not.

TBH I probably won’t go back to Disney until masks are not required even for CMs. I’m not looking to spend thousands of dollars to feel like I’m in a medical facility. We go to escape reality and enjoy our “happy place”. If it means waiting a few extra months (years?) for that magic, we’re willing to wait.

What is interesting is the comments on this thread tend to be the folks who say they won't wear a mask, when the poll shows it nearly 50/50. I guess there isn't much to say about the "sure, I'll wear one" opinion. But I'm in that category. I don't find it particularly uncomfortable, but I've only done an hour or two tops so far. DH has had to wear one for 10 hour days at the office (essential industry) and has had to tweak the elastic a bit for comfort, but after that he's comfortable and he's not against wearing one to WDW. DS16 doesn't want to wear one, but he's 16 and pretty much contrary about anything he's told he "has" to do. And he certainly doesn't want to wear one that I've sewn, which I can customize and make a million time more comfortable than the disposable kind...

But all that said, there's a piece of me that agrees with this:
I voted "won't go", but that's only a little bit about the mask itself, and more about what the need for a mask likely represents in terms of where we're at with the virus and what other restrictions or limitations are likely to be in place. We only go to Disney every 3-5 years or so, and I'd rather wait longer in order to have a fuller experience.

We have a late July trip planned that is a reschedule from April, I'm hopeful and not against wearing masks, but if I'm not comfortable with where we're at with the virus and spread and treatment and testing, then we'll just wait.

Well, I guess we have our answer considering Chapek just did an interview with CNBC about the Shanghai opening and said that Disney expects to require masks for guests and cast (which Chapek says will be a "cultural adjustment" for guests in the United States, especially during the warm summer months). I will be canceling.

Well, I guess we have our answer considering Chapek just did an interview with CNBC about the Shanghai opening and said that Disney expects to require masks for guests and cast (which Chapek says will be a "cultural adjustment" for guests in the United States, especially during the warm summer months). I will be canceling.

Same here. Thought my kids would be so disappointed but they would rather not go than wear masks in the summer heat of WDW.

I have to say, I fully expected this which is why I wondered how people would feel about it. I’m an anesthesiologist and wear a mask all day long so it wouldn’t bother me in the least, but it’s clear that lots of Disney fans are really put off by it. We canceled our June 27 trip, but did it based on the unnecessary health risks to my family, not masks specifically. Now the question is how long does this policy stay in effect....

Same here. Thought my kids would be so disappointed but they would rather not go than wear masks in the summer heat of WDW.

I asked my kids, who would rather go to Disney than any other place on the planet and ask everyday when we are going back, if they wanted to go if they have to wear masks. They both said no and they would rather wait until we don't have to wear them. I was shocked.

Not going to drop the THOUSANDS it costs to go to WDW and have to wear a mask. What would they do if a guest took it off when they got inside the park and left it off? Honest question, I'd love to see how Disney would address this since they are hyper sensitive to ruffling feathers of rule breakers. No way in Heck Im going to go wearing a mask. It is not about culture, it is about personal choice and personal responsibility. I'll leave it at that and I won't be seeing the Mouse or the World until this stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter