How do you feel about wearing a mask at Disney parks?

How do you feel about wearing a mask while at a Disney Park?

• If wearing a mask means the parks can open sooner, I'll wear one. I just want to be able to go!

• Wearing masks would detract from the Disney experience I love so much! I won't go if I have to mask

Results are only viewable after voting.
We are willing to wear a mask as long as the younger child in our group is not required. He may or may not be taking it off at times.

Absolutely would not go. I won't even go until CMs aren't required to wear masks anymore. Sorry, but I'm not here for these weird dystopian novel-level interactions with people whose faces I can't see.

Additionally, as a hard-of-hearing person, I rely a lot on being able to read lips. And masks muffle voices, too. Interacting with people since this started has been exhausting - it requires so much mentally when you struggle to hear and lose all of the usual cues that make up for the loss. It's one thing to have to do at the grocery store for the two or three minutes I deal with the cashier, but I'm not going to do it when I'm supposed to be on vacation enjoying myself.

I think even if it was policy, enforcing it and having it work the way it is designed would be almost impossible.
take a serious look at how frequently you take a drink for example. I know we are not stop drinking water and it would be on off on off.
Think about how hot you are wearing a normal shirt in the summer heat, now put a shirt over your face too.
Combine the two and people will be in need of drinking more.
Not even talking about people at water parks/pools and the risks/challenges there

I have a July trip booked (a rebook from May). If masks are required, I won’t go. I have worn a mask any time I’m around people, so it’s not that I generally refuse to wear a mask.

If masks are recommended but not required, I still may not go... I was “shamed” by a dog-walker recently for not wearing a mask to my mailbox... which is on my property at the end of my driveway. So I’m not feeling too positive about being around people even when it’s not required...

WDW is private property, it’s my understanding they can require masks to be worn, etc. as long as the guest is advised prior

I hope masks ‘scare off’ many potential guests, idea of an even smaller pool of people there makes me more inclined to try to visit in early August as planned.

We’ll spend August at the beach instead and honestly, that sounds better to me right now than a lesser type experience at WDW.
I immediately looked for availability at HHI to replace our early August trip, no room at the inn. Currently, the Myrtle Beach resorts don’t have their poolscapes open, tentative opening before Memorial Day.

Majority of open beach patrons I’ve seen on tv are absolutely not practicing social distancing, let alone wearing masks.

Wasn’t thrilled to stumble upon the following either, something to consider

https://www.latimes.com/california/...ean-swimming-surfing-safe-beaches-los-angeles

I have three trips booked at the moment. June 3-7 at OKW, June 18-21 at Copper Creek and September 4-13 at Polynesian/Beach Club. If masks are mandatory I will cancel all three. It's too hot, and we go to Disney World to enjoy ourselves, eat and drink, and revel in the $40k plus we spent on a DVC membership and annual passes. They should be recommended but not mandatory.

Good point made in another thread, How many of us that are ok with masks from the south? I prefer the heat, than the cold and would never move to the northern part of U.S. where its super cold or snows a lot. I think we might wear a mask indoors even if they are not required. I think that would be a happy medium for most people.

As a passholder that can visit for shorter periods of time, I am fine with it. If it was a planned out vacation that I was trying to get the most of, I would probably reschedule, especially in the summer. I am good with face masks and believe that they are a major part in our lives right now, but they are incompatible with the Florida heat. I really couldn't imagine wearing one outside side for an extended period of time in July.

Everyone has been taking about the heat, but what about the rain? Imagine wearing a mask that got soaked in one of Florida's sudden afternoon showers.

That is just another realistic scenario that makes me believe that WDW will recommend masks for guests, but not require them. The enforcement aspect of removing people from parks who meant to wear them but then just couldn't stand it due to the 90 degree+ heat, or who took it off after it got rained on, would range from very difficult to impossible for them.

For those who are saying yes, except for kids/toddlers.....WHY ? Are kids and toddlers less likely to get, incubate, and transmit a virus than another guest? I'll also ask again, what would Disney do if I refused to wear a mask once I got in ( and they were requiring them) ? They would not want any negative publicity, so like with most other "rule breakers", they ignore and move on. Will Disney invoke the virus police ?

For those who are saying yes, except for kids/toddlers.....WHY ? Are kids and toddlers less likely to get, incubate, and transmit a virus than another guest? I'll also ask again, what would Disney do if I refused to wear a mask once I got in ( and they were requiring them) ? They would not want any negative publicity, so like with most other "rule breakers", they ignore and move on. Will Disney invoke the virus police ?

According to this study out of Australia and schools, they found children are not primary drivers of transmission. It doesn't make sense to me logically, but I am not an epidemiologist and I am not claiming this as fact, just interesting. I believe Sweden also is allowing children under 10 to visit grandparents as they also found low transmission from young children to adults, but not allowing visits from older children and teens.

COVID-19 inschools–theexperienceinNSW

ETA: maybe the youngest have the strongest immune systems and killing off the virus quickly , thus not spreading it. It's a theory. Like the opposite of H1N1.

Last edited:
Toddlers and many kids will alternate between touching railings and other surfaces and fiddling with and pulling at their masks when they become uncomfortable, which will happen frequently. It is highly likely that children will pick up more germs from having to wear masks than not wearing masks at all.

According to this study out of Australia and schools, they found children are not primary drivers of transmission. It doesn't make sense to me logically, but I am not an epidemiologist and I am not claiming this as fact, just interesting. I believe Sweden also is allowing children under 10 to visit grandparents as they also found low transmission from young children to adults, but not allowing visits from older children and teens.

COVID-19 inschools–theexperienceinNSW

ETA: maybe the youngest have the strongest immune systems and killing off the virus quickly , thus not spreading it. It's a theory. Like the opposite of H1N1.
A lot of countries in Europe have let kids go back to school this spring already. They feel its safe to let their kids congregate together and go back home.

So either we, in the US, are being overly cautious, or Europe is being too reckless.

The facts are out there that a vast majority of young children aren't coming down with the virus, and if they do, are rarely hospitalized/dying.

I am planning to wear a mask from now on regardless. Last time I went in March, I got home and had the horrible cold. Lately everytime I get back from travel, I come down with something. And I'm so tired of it. I wash my hands all the time and I take vitamins so mask on regardless for me.

Everyone has been taking about the heat, but what about the rain? Imagine wearing a mask that got soaked in one of Florida's sudden afternoon showers.

That is just another realistic scenario that makes me believe that WDW will recommend masks for guests, but not require them. The enforcement aspect of removing people from parks who meant to wear them but then just couldn't stand it due to the 90 degree+ heat, or who took it off after it got rained on, would range from very difficult to impossible for them.

This. It's recommended to change your mask if/when it gets moist/wet.

I personally feel more at risk wearing a face mask in the parks. I wont go if they're mandatory.

Judging by the survey being sent out to those with reservations this summer- it definitely sounds like they will be mandatory. The language says "assuming.... all employees and customers wearing face coverings...) Ugh!🙄

Honestly I hate wearing a mask but if I have to, I will do. Just beeing at WDW will be worth it. And maybe the Disney masks will look cute.
Not sure how cute you will look when you pass out face first in the asphalt from heatstroke. LOL

Almost a 50/50 split. Really interesting! From a purely business aspect, I wonder if Disney could require masks if 1/2 of their most devoted guests (like people who care enough to follow and post here) wouldn’t come....
Hit the nail on the head with that statement. 50/50 split among the most devoted of the guests. I would guess if a poll of all potential guests this summer was done that % would be in the low single digits for the folks that would be willing to wear a mask in Central Florida.

I'll wear a mask inside places (except restaurants for obvious reason) .. I won't wear one outside .. that just seems silly (and uncomfortable).
That would be a common sense approach to masks that more people could tolerate. Masks only required at indoor shows or indoor ride lines. Still not sure I would go even with that requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter