How Do You Feel About Your Keurig?

I bought my first one 2 years ago next month. It was a special value on QVC. loved it. Quit working after just a few months. Had to call customer service. They were great, sent me a new one, and a paid thing to send the old one back.
Started having trouble with the 2nd one a couple of months ago. it would not pump the water into the heating chamber. I tried all the suggestions.... nothing seemed to help much. If I pushed on the little filler thing on the bottom it would work sometimes...

I replaced it this weekend with a cheaper model (paid 67 bucks at Kohl's AND got a 10$ cash back).
I love it :) hoping it lasts a lot longer than the other one did.

Love our Keurig. In fact, we bought a portable unit for our road trips. Always a fresh cup of coffee. Never any waste. Coffee brewed the way I like it (strong) or the way my wife likes it (weak). :coffee:

I could have used it this past weekend. I might have to do that as well. :thumbsup2

Two words: Environmental Nightmare

Why would we, in this century, after all we've learned, begin using something that creates huge landfill matter? I have seen permanent filters and you can make your own but most buy the evil plastic, not recyclable because they have two materials that are attached, cups.

They could name a landfill after me for all I care -- I love my Keurig!!

That reminds me. I have teen boys and they love putting their disgusting ramen noodle cups under the Keurig and filling it with hot water. Beats boiling water for them.

:thumbsup2:rotfl2: excellent tip..I'm passing this along to ds14!

I do love my Keurig.
We've had it for about 5 years now.
I love it even more now that I use the refillable k-cups. I love strong coffee and most of the k-cups were too weak for me. Now I am back to using y favorite coffee, Costco's Kirkland Columbian in the brown can.

I like that it very quick and easy to make a cup of coffee. We use it when we have company over as well. Works out better for us.

Re: the waste of a Keurig...

My favorite church camp was gifted a Keurig. They are also a LEED certified camp (very green)

I was in their office borrowing their Keurig (using my own K-cups) for a family retreat. They had some "super simple" rules for the Keurig use.

(They call it super simple anyhow)

1. Cut the foil off and put in the aluminum bin.
2. Empty grounds and put in the compost bin.
3. Put empty plastic cup in the plastics recycling bin.

Ok, I did it at camp, but won't put in the effort at home.

We have a Keurig and a traditional coffee marker at home. On a normal day we use the coffee maker but for mid-day company, etc... We use the Keurig. The kids like to use the hot water brew for oatmeal, cocoa and cider.

Two words: Environmental Nightmare

Why would we, in this century, after all we've learned, begin using something that creates huge landfill matter? I have seen permanent filters and you can make your own but most buy the evil plastic, not recyclable because they have two materials that are attached, cups.

Don't care, don't care, and finally DON'T CARE. Not when it comes to my coffee. Oh and those permanent filters are a HUGE pain in the butt. Long live my Keurig.

:thumbsup2:rotfl2: excellent tip..I'm passing this along to ds14!

I do love my Keurig.
We've had it for about 5 years now.
I love it even more now that I use the refillable k-cups. I love strong coffee and most of the k-cups were too weak for me. Now I am back to using y favorite coffee, Costco's Kirkland Columbian in the brown can.

I like that it very quick and easy to make a cup of coffee. We use it when we have company over as well. Works out better for us.

Is that the one that comes already ground? If so, I tried it in my reusable k cup and it didn't work because it was ground too fine. I think that's what pushed me over the edge to buy a mr. Coffee

Don't care, don't care, and finally DON'T CARE. Not when it comes to my coffee. Oh and those permanent filters are a HUGE pain in the butt. Long live my Keurig.

:thumbsup2

We do a ton of recycling. It is easy for us as we have a single large garbage can for everything (mixed) and it is picked up weekly.

So, I don't feel the least bit guilty using my k-cups.

Although lately I have been using the refillable thing. But it is a pain, so next time I am at Costco, buying the big box of Newman's Own k-cups.

I really like mine. It makes it a lot easier for me to make coffee and not make a mess. The coffee also has consistent quality and it is something that even I cannot do wrong. It is a lot of fun looking around trying different K-Cups. Coffee of course, but also trying stuff like the hot apple cider, tea and hot chocolate. It is kind of like an adventure (maybe I am easily entertained).

I am not sure which model I have, it is just the one that seems to be most common. I got it a couple years ago at Kohls, it was on sale and I combined that with a 30% off coupon.

To me, the only downside to the Keurig is the cost to operate it. It is definitely not cheap to have it around and use it.

I'd marry mine if I could!

K45. Like the single brew option. So convenient!

We also own the mini.

I love, love, love, love my keurig! I love a big fresh cup of coffee. Just one. And it is always perfectly fresh! Before I would make a bug pot of coffee and by the time I got to the end it was not very good. Now I just make a big fresh cup when I want one. I also use the hot water to make my oatmeal in the morning. Easy peasy.

Is that the one that comes already ground? If so, I tried it in my reusable k cup and it didn't work because it was ground too fine. I think that's what pushed me over the edge to buy a mr. Coffee

yes it is the large can of ground coffee. We like the as seen on tv kcups and not the my k cup that came with it.
They work great!

OP here, thanks so much for all the informative replies, I appreciate it.

I looked at the different models yesterday. Not sure I need one with a water reservoir as I'd probably only use it once per day, for that ONE cup of coffee.

We have TWO coffee makers in our house, one we use every morning for a pot of coffee for the two of us, and the other one is a smaller 5-cup coffee maker that I use for my flavored coffees. DH doesn't like me using the big coffee maker for that because he says he can still "taste" whatever flavor I made in it, even after washing in soap and hot water. I think he's crazy but, whatever. :)

So, I use the small 5-cup pot for my flavored coffee but usually end up throwing half of it away as I only want that ONE cup in the afternoon or evening, and generally only in the fall/winter.

So I think a Keurig would be good for me. Not the brand new one with tons of "bells and whistles" but just a basic model.

I think I'll put it on my Christmas wish list, unless I see a good sale at Kohl's and I have a coupon too! :)

We recently bought the Platinum Keurig at Costco. I haven't settled into it quite yet. My biggest problem, is I've always used a 16 oz Starbucks stainless steel travel mug, and it stays hot for about an hour and a half. That would be my daily coffee for the whole day (about 2 cups worth). When I use it with the Keurig, I'd have to use 2 K cups, that will get expensive! But one K cup reused, is completely watered down coffee. I've tried using regular ceramic coffee mugs with the Keurig, and the coffee gets cold within five minutes. Drives me crazy. But the coffee is delicious that way on the medium size. It's perplexing. I want delicious coffee, but I want it to stay hot for an hour! I'm so fussy that way. Using Mr Coffee was so much easier, I'd just make enough for that particular mug and I was done. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Anyone want to tackle this? What do you do when your coffee gets cold after five minutes, does it bother you? And if you use one of these stainless steel mugs, do you use 2 K cups?

Anyone want to tackle this? What do you do when your coffee gets cold after five minutes, does it bother you? And if you use one of these stainless steel mugs, do you use 2 K cups?

I guess I would say that yes - the K-cup only makes so much coffee at any given strentgh. So if you want to fill up a larger cup - like a tall stainless steel travel mug with strong coffee then yes you will need two k-cups to make enough coffee that is as strong as you would like it.

The other options I see are:

1. get a smaller stainess steel travel cup if you don't need that much coffee.

2. OR fill the tall SS cup with very hot water and let it sit for awhile. Then brew the one k cup into it and then cover and go. It should still stay hot for a pretty long time. If you use milk or cream make sure that is heated too before you add it to your coffee.

3. Finally, different K-cups contain different strengths of coffee. For example, the strongest ones I have found were some of the dark Starbucks brews. Yes, they are pricier per K-cup but one of those brewed with a higher volume of water may yield the same volume of desired coffee as two K-cups of a different brand and strength and ultimately that might be a cheaper way to go. In other works the Starbucks K cup might stretch farther if that make sense - and cost less than 2 more regular k kups.

4. Finally, you can get one of those reusable k cup and put your own coffee in it and then brew two k cups' worth - that might be cheaper - not sure . . .

Does that help?

I only like my coffee hot so I can relate. And I like it strooooong so yes, I do go through a lot of kcups.

Check out the Tassimo, I LOVE mine much better than the Keurig. We have a Keurig at work and it seems so cheaply made compared to the Tassimo which is a Bosch machine. No, there aren't a million different flavors of coffee like the Keurig has, but most people stick with one or two favorites anyway. Plus, we love being able to make cappuccinos & lattes with it.
I had a Tassimo before my Keurig and I did not like it at all. I thought that the cappuccinos and lattes were awful, they were nothing like a real cappuccino or latte.

How Do You Feel About Your Keurig?

If I'm not mistaken, this is... a coffeemaker?

backs away, slowly

People are a wee bit too much emotionally and/or otherwise engaged with their kitchen appliances these days for my comfort. I recall seeing something about a man and his toaster not too long ago...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter