How does renting work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degli

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a trip to WL. I checked out the villas which were beautiful. Wish I could talk my husband into a DVC membership but he's a lost cause. How do you go about renting points from a member? It seems like renting would be a lot less expensive for a week at the villas rather than booking a room from Disney. Do I need to rent WLV points or any points to stay there? Is there a legal contract to sign? How are points transferred? Are they easy to rent? Please respond.

How do you go about renting points from a member?
Just post your dates and which DVC resort you want to stay at. DVC members can make reservations at their home resort at the 11-month window and at the 7-month window at their non-home resort.
Do I need to rent WLV points or any points to stay there?
See answer to question #1 regarding the 11-month and 7-month booking window. Also, depending on the time of year and room type you're looking for, you may need the 11-month booking window.
Is there a legal contract to sign?
Some members make up their own contracts; there is no set rental contract. Some don't make contracts per se but they do outline the terms of the rental beforehand. If you would feel more comfortable with a contract you should bring that up with whoever you rent from.
How are points transferred?
Points are transferred between members.
Are they easy to rent?
You shouldn't have a problem renting points; just post your request on the Rent/Trade forum and members will contact you if they have the points for rent.

You can also get some information by clicking on the Rent/Trade FAQ's link at the top right of this page or just try the link <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dvc/RentTrade-FAQ.htm">HERE!</a>

If a DVC member makes a reservation for a renter, and the renter does not pay the balance, can the DVC member just call member services and cancel the reservation and/ or change it to a new renter's name?

The member always retains full control over the reservation and can cancel or change it at anytime.

The only hassle is that if you cancel within 31 days, you have to deal with the holding period. It will restrict the usage of the points. They will expire at the end of the current use year (i.e. cannot be banked) and will only be available for reservations with arrivals within 60 days of booking.

If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me an email!

Sincerely,

Tom

Originally posted by Sims
If a DVC member makes a reservation for a renter, and the renter does not pay the balance, can the DVC member just call member services and cancel the reservation and/ or change it to a new renter's name?

Originally posted by Sims

The cancellation policy should be clear early in the transaction process. The member needs to protect him/herself in the event the renter does not follow through with payment and the renter should be comfortable that they do, in fct, have a reservation in thier name.

As mentioned,the reservation will always be in the control of the member and if something occurs to void the agreement (non-payment), the member can easily cancel or change the name on the reservation.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter