How many Dis'ers homeschool?

. . . she has what's called a "Non-verbal" learning difference (disability, but that's not always PC) which means if it's not spoken, she doesn't get it. No, she's not deaf, but a very auditory thinker as opposed to a visual thinker. Anyway, the point is that most of our communication is not verbal (body language, facial expression, the nuances of sarcasm) and so public school is hard enough on her from an academic standpoint because it moves fast with lots of visual distractions, but what makes it worse is the social atmosphere. I can tell she is hounded daily and she doesn't even realize it half the time, but I can tell from what she relays to me as the events of the day. On top of that, because she doesn't "get" it, she reacts inappropriately to some of the things that aren't even meant to hurt her.

Anyway, we have a women who did some tutoring for her two summers ago who now homeschools two other children and has offered to include DD 11 (BTW). We're ecstatic because she "gets" our daughter and understands her learning style! We can provide social opportunities where we can coach her . . . so that's not a concern. The biggest thrill is that she may actually have an opportunity to excel. As good as our school district is, in an effort to achieve the "no child left behind" goal, she's getting A's & B's, but isn't meeting standards. Does that make sense? AND . . . on the PSSA standardized testing, she scored two points below the Advanced scores and yet she is in the lowest achieving math section . . . not meeting standards there. When I pointed it out to the teacher asking if there was something we could do to encourage her math-wise, the response was that she'll do well in high school. I feel that by the time she gets to high school, she'll think of herself as a poor math student and won't care anymore!

Wish us luck!

Somewhere waaaay back in this thread there was a question about secular homeschool programs. We use the Calvert School curriculum and love it. I haven't used K-12, but from what I understand it is much more expensive and much more "school" like than Calvert. Another secular program I have heard of, but not experienced personally, is Oak Meadow.

I homeschool two of my dd's (4 and 8) and my other dd(16) goes to the local highschool. We started homeschooling two years ago. My dh and I are both certified teachers. I decided to stay home when my last child was born. Some of the homeschoolers here send their children to ps when they hit highschool age and some have them start taking classes at the local community college.

I find it very interesting that our local community college has started offering programs during the day for homeschooled children (elementary ages and older)

Going to WDW on the off seasons is definitely a perk we will be taking advantage of when my oldest graduates fron highschool. :)

. . . but I'm confused. You said "more expensive?" Actually K12 will come to us through the PA Virtual Charter School so it won't cost us anything except the expense of paying for the teacher we're using. Hmmmm. DD will still be part of the public school system as part of a charter school. Maybe our tax dollars go toward the K12 curriculum and that's why it doesn't "cost" us anything. They even provide a computer, monitor and printer. We're responsible for the upkeep and internet connection.

Lizardbeth61 said:
. . . but I'm confused. You said "more expensive?" Actually K12 will come to us through the PA Virtual Charter School so it won't cost us anything except the expense of paying for the teacher we're using. Hmmmm. DD will still be part of the public school system as part of a charter school. Maybe our tax dollars go toward the K12 curriculum and that's why it doesn't "cost" us anything. They even provide a computer, monitor and printer. We're responsible for the upkeep and internet connection.

You are so lucky. We do not have virtual charter schools in Maryland. We barely have brick and mortar charter schools. The legislation to allow them was just recently approved (but did not include virtual charter schools) So in my case I have to pay for all of our homeschooling materials (curriculum, computers, supplies, ....everything) out of my own pocket. We don't get a tax break either. I think Maryland is way behind many other states when itcomes to homeschooling.

I wasn't sure, but you clearly answered my questions. I guess we are VERY lucky because it if wasn't a charter school we'd have to be paying too and we wouldn't get a tax break either from what I understand. Honestly, I haven't learned much about the whole thing except to say that this teacher is so excellent that if she was willing to take DD and liked the curriculum, we figured we'd work through the rest. Maybe that seems irresponsible, but like I said earlier, she "gets" DD and we want her to be the very best she has the potential to be. The regular public school just wasn't reaching her . . . not that I don't think they wanted to, but there are just so many kids with issues . . . and with any luck this will give her a shot!

Thanks for explaining a bit more.

This is our first year homeschooling our three kids (9,6,4). I find it rather annoying when people assume we made this choice by whim. Most of our parenting style goes against the norm (we are an AP family) so I am quite use to people voicing their opinion on our family choices. I just hope that by our choices maybe others will realize that they too have options outside the mainstream.
Off my soapbox! I am thrilled about our new life. We are able to go to Florida for the entire month of April. Homeschooling works well because my dh can take his job on the road (as long as there is internet :) ) I love to travel. We will be able to stay at WDW for three weeks :sunny: We unschool and I'm getting excited about all of the learning opportunities at WDW.
BTW I started a yahoo group for families making the transition from public school to homeschool.
Nice to meet you all :wave2:

Wow, how great is this! I was feeling like I was the only homeschooler around, with all the talk of trying to schedule vacation during school breaks! We've homeschooled our two, DS10 and DD6, for about 5 years; we're ecclectic unschoolers.

. . . Sorry. Can't figure that one out. Annual Pass family? But how would that make your parenting subject to criticism?

AP stands for Attachment Parenting. It can mean a lot of things, but the abridged version it that usually it means that the parents choose to do things that mainstream families find weird, like family bed or extended breastfeeding. :)

Lizardbeth61 said:
. . . Sorry. Can't figure that one out. Annual Pass family?

We are an Annual Pass family too :jumping1:
Blackunicorn has given a good brief description. My dh and I constantly call ourselves the weirdos in the family :teeth: It gives my family something to talk about! My dh's family is more accepting of our values. In fact his older brother's family homeschools too.

Blackunicorn said:
AP stands for Attachment Parenting. It can mean a lot of things, but the abridged version it that usually it means that the parents choose to do things that mainstream families find weird, like family bed or extended breastfeeding. :)

Just this morning I was telling my husband how when the kids were little I thought the family bed thing was such a great idea, but now that they're older I'm not particularly pleased that they choose to hang out in our bed all the time. :rotfl:

mirlow said:
We unschool and I'm getting excited about all of the learning opportunities at WDW.
BTW I started a yahoo group for families making the transition from public school to homeschool.
Nice to meet you all :wave2:

I've read a lot about "unschooling" but I never knew anyone that did this.

I'm very interested in this because DS(8) doesn't really like the books I got from Harcourt School Publishers, he keeps asking to learn about things that are NOT even in his books yet (WWII, etc.).

Am I right thinking that when you "unschool" you don't follow a certain curriculum? Do you use books, workbooks? Do you just find material for whatever it is that the child wants to learn about?

Just curious, thanks!!

dturner said:
Am I right thinking that when you "unschool" you don't follow a certain curriculum? Do you use books, workbooks? Do you just find material for whatever it is that the child wants to learn about?

Just curious, thanks!!

To sum it up yes. One of the main reasons I pulled my kids out of PS was because of NCLB and all of the testing and rules applied to it. My 9yr old spent much of last yr practicing for the CSAP. I could see that they were sucking all of her creativity and curiousity out of her. Learning became a chore. When I started with them this fall we were following a classical education approach with a lot of hands on learning. There was a lot of persuading on my part to get them to do their work. During our time off in December I read Dumbing Us Down by John Gatto. John Gatto won New York state teacher of the yr in 1991.
The back of the book reads-
"Dumbing Us Down reveals the deadening heart of compulsory state schooling: assumptions and structures that stamp out the selfknowledge, curiosity, concentration and solitude essential to learning. Between schooling and television, our children have precious little time to learn for themselves about the community they live in, or the lives they might lead. Instead, they are schooled to merely obey orders and become smoothly functioning cogs in the industrial machine."
Then I read more books on unschooling. I feel that it is the best approach for our family right now. Actually we are still deschooling. Im finding that I need more deschooling than my 9yr old does.

mirlow said:
To sum it up yes. One of the main reasons I pulled my kids out of PS was because of NCLB and all of the testing and rules applied to it. My 9yr old spent much of last yr practicing for the CSAP. I could see that they were sucking all of her creativity and curiousity out of her. Learning became a chore. When I started with them this fall we were following a classical education approach with a lot of hands on learning. There was a lot of persuading on my part to get them to do their work. During our time off in December I read Dumbing Us Down by John Gatto. John Gatto won New York state teacher of the yr in 1991.
The back of the book reads-
"Dumbing Us Down reveals the deadening heart of compulsory state schooling: assumptions and structures that stamp out the selfknowledge, curiosity, concentration and solitude essential to learning. Between schooling and television, our children have precious little time to learn for themselves about the community they live in, or the lives they might lead. Instead, they are schooled to merely obey orders and become smoothly functioning cogs in the industrial machine."
Then I read more books on unschooling. I feel that it is the best approach for our family right now. Actually we are still deschooling. Im finding that I need more deschooling than my 9yr old does.

Thanks, I'll have to get that book as I agree with what the author is saying.

Thanks for your input.

. . . I mean, I know our children are our children, but I'm waiting to be sure our DD is enrolled in the virtual charter school before I take her out of PS because the charter school warned me that "as long as she was enrolled with them" they could help her. But if we took her out before, it was suggested that there might be issues with truancy etc. Do unschooled children take competency tests? I know that's an oxymoron in relationship to the conversation, but employers look for a diploma of some sort. I mean, would you unschool the whole way? Interesting!

Lizardbeth61 said:
. . . I mean, I know our children are our children, but I'm waiting to be sure our DD is enrolled in the virtual charter school before I take her out of PS because the charter school warned me that "as long as she was enrolled with them" they could help her. But if we took her out before, it was suggested that there might be issues with truancy etc. Do unschooled children take competency tests? I know that's an oxymoron in relationship to the conversation, but employers look for a diploma of some sort. I mean, would you unschool the whole way? Interesting!

It depends on the state you are in.

I know that being in Texas, Texas is THE most relaxed state as to homeschooling laws, no tests, no reporting, no nothing, just your promise as a parent to teach your child, reading, writing, spelling, math and good citizenship. When I un-enrolled my child in PS (after Kindergarten), I wrote a letter explaining that I would homeschool him and after a week or so I called the school and asked if I had to do anything else and the response I got from the school secretary was "good, that's one less child I have to worry about."

Also, you can buy a diploma through the Texas homeschooling site for when you finish High School.

I have NEVER EVER in my life been asked to prove or show a high school diploma when looking for a job, I don't think employment will be a problem once my child is old enough to work.

Lizardbeth61 said:

Hi Lizardbeth61. I see you are from PA. We will be moving there in May. I can't tell you much about the virtual school option. I would try to find support on Yahoo groups. I belong to seven PA homeschooling groups! They have been incredibly helpful during this transition. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before we move. I do know that PA has some of the strictest homeschooling laws. Some examples of what the law requires is that; children have to take a standardized test in 3,5, and 8th grades, meet with an evaluator and hand in a portfolio at the end of the year.
Right now we deal with homeschooling day by day. If we did unschool the whole time I would not be worried. When you find your true passion you will find a way to make it happen. There are ways to get your diploma and homeschool (unschool) in PA. You just have to read and research what your options are.
Good luck to you.

I'm just curious is anyone is familiar with or uses My Father's World" curriculum. I want some feedback on it before I decide to make a purchase.

Colorado is fairly relaxed, too. You have to file a letter of intent with a school district in the state--it doesn't have to be the school district where you live. Then you must test or have your child evaluated in the 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc. grades.

I don't know the laws in every state, but in Colorado, you have to file your letter of intent two weeks before you intend to start homeschooling. If you took your child out of school before the two weeks had passed, it's conceivable that they could consider you truant.

As for high school diplomas, well, there's a number of ways to get that. If worst comes to worst, you can use an umbrella school like West River Academy. Of course, in this state, you can print a diploma from your computer if you want. Whether this is acceptable to employers, well, who knows? About the most checking any of my employers has ever done was to see if I had a social security card. If your child attends and graduates college, I doubt that a high school diploma will be a concern. Most hurdles can be overcome with the right research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter