How many Dis'ers homeschool?

Im so glad this thread took off.. Just a little update since This started, and with a new school year...

We are successfully still homeschooling, DS12, DD11, DS8.
We use Bob Jones Homesat. and LOVE it. Our Local group Homefront has taken off. We now produce a monthly news letter called the Zone, News from the Homefront.

Happy Homeschooling...:goodvibes

BUMP UP

I haven't had time to read the posts in this thread yet, I'm just jumping in.

This is our fifth year homeschooling. Our oldest is 13 and our youngest is 17 months.

Haven't read all the posts yet- but we are proud homeschoolers! kids are 12 and 6, never been to school, just the school of life! :wave:

Hi all, I am considering homeschooling my girls starting September 2006. My oldest would be in 5th grade and my middle would be doing Pre-K. I've been looking at Oak Meadow and Calvert. Anyone have any opinions on these? Also, my other main concern would be my little one. She'll be 2 1/2 by next September and to those of you have a "baby" how do you handle meeting her/his need while trying to "teach" the others.

My boys are in 6th and 7th grades this year, and my DD just turned 3. I have found her to be the easiest, LOL. She loves to do 'her schoolwork' and will sit at the table with the boys and work on it for a long time. I've picked up a couple of pre-K workbooks for her and I also print pages from the internet. She may not always do them correctly, but she's learning nonetheless and having fun at the same time. She doesn't 'work' for as long as the boys, of course, so we do still have time to fill. She has her snack at the table (we all work in the kitchen) so we are all together then. She also has computer games she plays (Blues Clues, Playhouse Disney online, etc) that fill some of her time. For the most part it isn't too difficult for me to check on her and help her along while working with the boys too. They do most of their work on their own so I don't have to constantly be looking over their shoulders, freeing up more time for DD. It's not always easy, but it's not as difficult as I thought it would be either.

It's funny sometimes because we joke that of the three kids DD is learning the most, LOL. In some ways it's true. At that age they love to learn and soak everything up like a sponge, I think. :teeth:

I missed this thread the first time through so am happy to see it up and running. We are in our 4th year of homeschooling and we love it. DD went to charter school for a very short time this fall (she is in 4th) and I am so glad we tried it because it really reaffirmed for us that homeschooling is by far the best choice for our family.

I have three kids--DD9, DS5.5 and DS almost 4. We use Story of the World and My Father's world for history, Spelling Power for spelling (duh) Intermediate Language Lessons and Singapore Math. We are currently using Real Science 4 kids Chemistry in our co-op and studying the human body at home. In Jan we will be switching to Astronomy and Colonial History which I am throwing together myself.

If you are not aware of it, the homeschooling thread on this board has an idea to get a homeschool board here on the DIS. Email the webmasters if you are interested!!

What happened to this thread? Seems like it died. And just when I've decided to take the plunge into homeschooling next year. I've got a lot to learn before next September and need all you homeschool-pros help. As I said in a previous post, as of now I'm going to go with calvert. Anyone use them? How does it work for you? There's still no homeschooling board huh?

Nope, no homeschooling board and I for one am beginning to lose hope..... I didnt' even receive a courtesy response from when I sent my request email.

I know a family that uses Calvert and really likes it. For me, it would be too much structure. I am pretty laid back though some days I get kind of freaked out and then we really hit the books hard. DS is in K (I also have a 4th grader) and I have recently been reminded (by myself) that I do not believe in academic kindergarten, and so all of these curriculums that i have been experimenting with are of no value to me.

THESCHULTZFIVE said:
What happened to this thread? Seems like it died. And just when I've decided to take the plunge into homeschooling next year. I've got a lot to learn before next September and need all you homeschool-pros help. As I said in a previous post, as of now I'm going to go with calvert. Anyone use them? How does it work for you? There's still no homeschooling board huh?

Good luck!!! You and your children will have such a great time! :flower:

This our 16th year -- we have a 25ds, 22dd, 14dd, 7ds & 4dd. Every year has been totally different! :rotfl2:

I homeschool my 4 children, we use Calvert (Grades K, 1, 2, & 3 )

This is my 3rd year and I am getting into a "lets send them back to public school" mood so I can get a break, its starting to get too overwhelming for me :badpc: :headache:

kellyrgraham said:
I homeschool my DD10 and DS12 and we really enjoy the freedom and flexibility. I started with my son two years ago and my daughter joined us this year. They are learning valuable housekeeping skills along with traditional subjects. My daughter loves to cook and was very proud of herself when she was in charge of the menu while I was out of town for a week. We also got to visit Disney in early December while it wasn't as crowded :earboy2: Texas is a great state in which to homeschool, we have lots of friends and family who also choose to do so but we don't belong to any co-ops or groups.
we are considering HS our DD. I saw on the HSLDA site that Texas does not require us to register with the school districts.

My cousin homeschools her children (14, 12, 8 and also has a 3 yr. old and an 18 mo. old). She has her 8 year old spend some time each day reading out loud to the youngest ones to both give her reading practice and engage the younger children. I've heard other moms actually use those inexpensive, round, blue plastic pools as "stations". During the school day, each station has various activities in them and they must be kept in their individual station (i.e. board books in one pool, blocks in another, art [play-doh, coloring books, etc.] in another, etc.). At maybe 15-20 min. intervals, the toddler (s) goes from one station to another and it seems to hold their interest and have them doing something creative...esp. during instruction time with the older children.
I just homeschool my DS9, so don't have much personal experience with juggling classes, but those are some ideas I've heard that have been successful.
Let us know how Calvert is...I know it is fairly rigorous, but that suits many families. We needed something a bit more flexible, but still academically strong and have gone with the St. Thomas Aquinas Academy in Ripon, CA to handle our curriculum.
Good luck and take care!
Karla B. :sunny:

bear74 said:
we are considering HS our DD. I saw on the HSLDA site that Texas does not require us to register with the school districts.

That's right. here is a TX website that is similar to HSLDA but, it is only TX stuff -- www.thsc.org

There are tons of great TX homeschool email lists at yahoogroups.

Stepht5 said:
Good luck!!! You and your children will have such a great time! :flower:

This our 16th year -- we have a 25ds, 22dd, 14dd, 7ds & 4dd. Every year has been totally different! :rotfl2:
Thanks I'm sure I'll need it. Between the inadequate public schools and the money -hungry private ones in my area, I'm tired of it. BTW, are you still thinking about our cruise because we sure are. When our Castaway Club stuff came I immediately loaded the screensaver on. I love being in another room and hearing the tropical music come on. OK, back to reality.

ptrbryant said:
Let us know how Calvert is...I know it is fairly rigorous, but that suits many families. We needed something a bit more flexible, but still academically strong and have gone with the St. Thomas Aquinas Academy in Ripon, CA to handle our curriculum.
Good luck and take care!
Karla B. :sunny:
Thanks for the well wishes. See I can't have flexibility or I'll never get anything done(if that makes sense). I need something to keep me on a strict path or we'll wind up watching QVC all day and planning trips to Disney for homework.LOL

Tiffann4k said:
I homeschool my 4 children, we use Calvert (Grades K, 1, 2, & 3 )

This is my 3rd year and I am getting into a "lets send them back to public school" mood so I can get a break, its starting to get too overwhelming for me :badpc: :headache:
WOW, I know you have your hands full. I'm going into it with the one day at a time approach. As long as it works for us then we'll do it. If it stops working, then we'll try something else. How do you find Calvert though? Is it challenging & interesting. Their science is the same my dd9 has in her current school, but I'm unsure about the rest.

I can't belive there's a sub-forum strictly for dancing because your trip is coming up soon(ok I'm a little jealous b/c we're not going back for nearly a year, but that's beside the point), but no homeschooling forum. :confused3

THESCHULTZFIVE said:
I can't belive there's a sub-forum strictly for dancing because your trip is coming up soon(ok I'm a little jealous b/c we're not going back for nearly a year, but that's beside the point), but no homeschooling forum. :confused3

Yeah, I am with you. I almost cried when they came up with the Katrina forum at a moment's notice and then was really bummed when the photography board was announced. What is up with that? Can't photo questions be addressed on the scrapbooking board? Very bummed.

we just need more homeschooling questions asked and more post. got to keep these up at the top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter